• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Some cool bits from yesterdays Control Freaks tourney.

>>Me getting Daigo'd lol<<

At the very end, I showed severe lack of experience and nerve. Pretty much, he had no bar left, I didn't want to meaty fireball because I was afraid of wakeup ultra, so I waited to see if he would, when he didn't, THEN I threw the fireball and... well yeah, he made a good read lol.

>>This right here is probably the best comeback in the tourney<<

It's our local Cammy player Vietnamazing (ddr_gakusei is his srk tag) with an absolutely epic run under pressure.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Holy shit :lol :lol !! Was about to lose a semi final against a Blanka. 1 round to 1. We both had a little bit of life. I corner him and suddenly unleashes an Ultra. I was about to die of chip damage so I freak out and start mashing the light kick button.... suddenly the Lightning Kicks come out and I pull the Blanka out of the Ultra as he's about to start and I win:lol

MIMIC

Banned
sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Is this game N00b friendly? How are the trophies on this game, is a platinum achieveable?

I guess it's noob friendly. My brother picked it up and does OK. Just as long as you stick to the basics.

And it's definitely possible to get all of the achievements. It's really a slow grind kinda thing. Took me a good while to get them all.

~Devil Trigger~ said:
Sagat in SF4, the problem really is the Knee:

-It breaks Armor
-fast start up
-fast recovery(small window to punish after double hit block)
-a pretty good anti-air due to Big Ass hit box
-easy link. Holy damage

People just throw knees at you without thinking cuz they know they can getaway with it.

There's a small window to punish Sagat after the Tiger Knee? Hmmmm....I never knew that.

FindMyFarms said:
Some cool bits from yesterdays Control Freaks tourney.

>>Me getting Daigo'd lol<<

Ha. I just commented on that video.

"There's a small window to punish Sagat after the Tiger Knee? Hmmmm....I never knew that."

If it blocks for 2 hits, yes. It's not really that small. Free throw.

Relix said:
Holy shit :lol :lol !! Was about to lose a semi final against a Blanka. 1 round to 1. We both had a little bit of life. I corner him and suddenly unleashes an Ultra. I was about to die of chip damage so I freak out and start mashing the light kick button.... suddenly the Lightning Kicks come out and I pull the Blanka out of the Ultra as he's about to start and I win:lol
I once successfully used Abel's super to grab Blanka out of Ultra
Turns out the jab version is hit invulnerable.

GalacticAE said:
I had to drop some wisdom in that youtube vid. I'm so dissapoint @ u Adnando.

My shots per round are around 25, I need to bump that up to about 120398712039478

prodystopian said:
Farms, WTF is Gaming Age. You should have given GAF a shoutout.

lol

F that, my next shout out is gonna be at yo mama.

What did I walk into? So is the GAFchat a multi fighter chat room now? I see everyone playing Blaz Blue. Haven't gotten a copy yet.

Played three tournies today. I got top 3 in the first three. The second I won the championship against a Blanka. In another, I got my clock cleaned by a vicious Cammy (not much experience. I didn't even know the timing of when to hit her after the spiral arrow).

Congrats to Find.

Relix said:
Tell that to my nearly 85% win ratio in championship mode :lol Most of it with my beautiful bitch called Chun Li. Everything's manageable, but sometimes Sagat is full of bullshit. Why the fuck does a strong character such as him as such a powerful ultra as well? It's definitely a balancing problem.

Guess I did touch your nerve or something... are you a Noobat player by any chance?

EDIT: Noobat... wtf absolute typo :lol I was thinking about Noobs and Sagat and postd it as Noobat. Will just leave it for the lulz!! =O!

No, I play Ryu (who has a fair amount of bullshit like Sagat) and Gen (who probably has more bullshit to deal with than Chun-Li).

I don't need to be a Sagat player to point out someone's obvious bitterness towards losing.

Spiderjericho said:
What did I walk into? So is the GAFchat a multi fighter chat room now? I see everyone playing Blaz Blue. Haven't gotten a copy yet.

Played three tournies today. I got top 3 in the first three. The second I won the championship against a Blanka. In another, I got my clock cleaned by a vicious Cammy (not much experience. I didn't even know the timing of when to hit her after the spiral arrow).

Congrats to Find.

Yeah, everyone's hopped on the BB train, I picked the game up myself, you should too! Best fighting game online system... ever lol.

Also I won the >>1st control freaks tourney<<, and placed 2nd in this one, no congrats until I win another :/

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
DryEyeRelief said:
No, I play Ryu (who has a fair amount of bullshit like Sagat) and Gen (who probably has more bullshit to deal with than Chun-Li).

I don't need to be a Sagat player to point out someone's obvious bitterness towards losing.

Hey I hate losing, but you sound bad =P. As I said, I barely lose in G2, but trust me am I annoyed when a Sagat spits out some of its bullshit =P. They are manageable though, very overrated... but annoying to play against. I am bored of playing Ryus, Kens, Akumas and Sagats. Really. The game has more characters people =P.

Guys, could I get some advice from ye please?

Let's say I bought SFIV & a Hori EX2 on launch, as a newbie to fighting games.
I found it tough, played for about 2 weeks and then got distracted by college and haven't gotten back to it since. But I want to.
Where do I start? (I literally have trouble pulling off Ultras >_>'')

MIMIC

Banned
I watched a lot of vids of the shotos in Championship Mode (and had the inputs turned on).

So much button mashing. :lol No wonder you can barely get a hit on them sometimes.

Relix said:
Hey I hate losing, but you sound bad =P. As I said, I barely lose in G2, but trust me am I annoyed when a Sagat spits out some of its bullshit =P. They are manageable though, very overrated... but annoying to play against. I am bored of playing Ryus, Kens, Akumas and Sagats. Really. The game has more characters people =P.

It's not about your skill or your percentage. Especially since we're talking about characters, it goes beyond your individual ability. Of course the fact that you keep bringing it up makes it seem like you're being more defensive. (I guess I'm the one actually hitting the nerve here)

Think of it this way, without all those shoto players, you wouldn't have anything to scapegoat with.

And the person who started this whole thread is a Sagat main. I'd love to see you convince him that's he has no skill.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Hah! He can't defend himself!! HE'S GONEE!!!! BWAHAHHAA!!... and I can't believe I got into a video game argument :lol :lol Absolutely pointless XD.

1000 away from G1. Had some great G2 matches today... and there was even a guy I beat in a final that messaged me asking me when could we play again and that he wanted to learn from him. I replied with a sure... just invite me and I'll be glad to.

Of course, the counter to that was one Ryu that DCed, and someone who called me a nigger :lol

Oh... and no Sagats defeated me today!!! =O!!! Bwahahahhaa!!!

MIMIC

Banned
Relix said:
Oh... and no Sagats defeated me today!!! =O!!! Bwahahahhaa!!!

I lost a LOT today...but I'll be damned if I ever lose to Sagat. Against Fuerte, they are so predicable. I wait for him to jump back, and then I go for the running slide.....and commence from there.

Zeouterlimits said:
Guys, could I get some advice from ye please?

Let's say I bought SFIV & a Hori EX2 on launch, as a newbie to fighting games.
I found it tough, played for about 2 weeks and then got distracted by college and haven't gotten back to it since. But I want to.
Where do I start? (I literally have trouble pulling off Ultras >_>'')

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=195678

&

http://tea-hawk.blogspot.com/search...-max=2009-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&max-results=11

This can also help, even though it's about super turbo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0cFs5mHQC4

yeb

TurtleSnatcher said:
Yeb

You are my idol.

Marry me so we may have Genefuerte kids.

Anyways.. sick dood. Gen always creates the "Holy shit" moments from crowds

Yeb - You going to EVO?
Yeah, it'll be my first major tourney of any kind. I'm just hoping I don't get too anxious and screw everything up.

TimeKillr

_dementia said:
I once successfully used Abel's super to grab Blanka out of Ultra
Turns out the jab version is hit invulnerable.

Jab version is hit invulnerable.
Med version is throw invulnerable.
Fierce version does the most damage.

:)

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I can't wait until I whip Ballsaqs in the xbl tournament with some kick-butt combination pizza. Delivery is free of charge.

YakiSOBA

lol omg at sagat tiger knee crossup... that looks like such an easier way to do a safe ultra...

unless the timing is really hard? anyone?

"lol omg at sagat tiger knee crossup... that looks like such an easier way to do a safe ultra...

unless the timing is really hard? anyone?"

I've never seen anyone ever bother to pull it off in a match. Realistically, crossups on wakeup aren't that good in SF4 because 1) Reversal window is huge and 2) SF4 likes to automagically correct your direction. Tiger Knee cross up isn't new at all (has been known since it hit the arcades really). Nobody bothers with it.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
yeb said:
Yay, I have some offline videos. From San Diego's ranbats:

Losers bracket, top 8: Yeb vs. Nemo
Losers bracket, top 5: Yeb vs. AlexMan
Losers semi-finals: Yeb vs. FrankFresh
Losers finals: Yeb vs. neREMIXED

I ended up losing to Ken I in the second round of the tourney, and then again in the losers finals (to the guy who lost to Ken I twice.) In the previous two ranbats I took 5th, losing to AlexMan in the same spot each time.

Something unusual happened at the tourney too. While we had some downtime as the recording was getting set up, the most random person dropped in to say hi:
Justin Wong
:lol

Edit: I should probably include a disclaimer that the sound gets really out of sync in some videos.

Good shit. I've pretty much given up on Gen as my main since my fingers don't seem to be nimble enough to reliably do mk -> hands (plus, I'm just finding Viper a lot more fun lately), but high-level Gens are still a blast to watch.

GL at Evo. It'd be great to see a Gen place pretty high.

MIMIC

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
"lol omg at sagat tiger knee crossup... that looks like such an easier way to do a safe ultra...

unless the timing is really hard? anyone?"

I've never seen anyone ever bother to pull it off in a match. Realistically, crossups on wakeup aren't that good in SF4 because 1) Reversal window is huge and 2) SF4 likes to automagically correct your direction. Tiger Knee cross up isn't new at all (has been known since it hit the arcades really). Nobody bothers with it.

ESPECIALLY E. Honda's fat ass.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
anyone tried taking someone they don't main into championship mode? Try it. TRY IT.

it's devastating for my ratio (down to 50%) but I'm sure I'm leveling up bison ALOT faster than by playing ranked or player matches.

Bison needs an anti air pretty bad

Also, what are the properties of a reversal? I mean, what do I have to actually do for something to qualify as 'reversal' is that where my move outprioritises the opponents move?

I'm finally getting little bit better with the stick. Been playing at the arcade for the past 1½ months so it is growing on me. I think I'm getting a MadCatz TE stick next month when I get back home. The thing is that I heard TE sticks have octagonal gates, right? The arcades here have square gates, so I was wondering is there a big difference? I main Boxer so square gate is pretty good for that, but is it that much different?

Enk

makes good threads.
Excellent games tonight drohne. I think I'm nearing my end of this game for the time being. I was really making some stupid mistakes in our games (why in the world did i pull off those two obvious Ultras with Chun-li).

catfish said:

Bison's stomp is pretty much his anti-air. If you see someone about to do a cross up then telelport away. Also his EX flaming hand attack is a great wake up. Invinsible through about any move.

Rocky_Balboa said:
I'm finally getting little bit better with the stick. Been playing at the arcade for the past 1½ months so it is growing on me. I think I'm getting a MadCatz TE stick next month when I get back home. The thing is that I heard TE sticks have octagonal gates, right? The arcades here have square gates, so I was wondering is there a big difference? I main Boxer so square gate is pretty good for that, but is it that much different?

They have a square gate. When I first got my TE stick I thought I was going to hate the square gate, but now after several months with it I can't go back. A lot of moves are actually a hell of a lot easier to pull off with a square than the octagonal (Dragon punches, Guile's supers, Geese's super).

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Rocky_Balboa said:

Really? SE has a square gate, I though TE would be the same.

Bison's stomp is pretty much his anti-air. If you see someone about to do a cross up then telelport away. Also his EX flaming hand attack is a great wake up. Invinsible through about any move.

yeah I really need to work on the teleport skills and figure out where it's safe. Teleport behind ryu on fireball is my new favourite thing ever, it's probably not very safe though. I don't feel safe ever teleporting actually.

My problem with bison so far is as a blanka main I feel too safe being close to the opponent and get crossed up to shit. blankas almost impervious to crossups so that's a really weak area of my game I found out.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
catfish said:
anyone tried taking someone they don't main into championship mode? Try it. TRY IT.

it's devastating for my ratio (down to 50%) but I'm sure I'm leveling up bison ALOT faster than by playing ranked or player matches.

Also, what are the properties of a reversal? I mean, what do I have to actually do for something to qualify as 'reversal' is that where my move outprioritises the opponents move?

Yeah, I do this all the time with characters I'm trying to get better with. Lately, Akuma and Bison.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Lost Fragment said:
Yeah, I do this all the time with characters I'm trying to get better with. Lately, Akuma and Bison.

Me too. Been doing it with Honda. Have won a few tourneys =D

Zenith

Banned
got the PC version. not liking it. you just can't do any of the super moves using a keyboard and I'm not going to buy a controller for one game in a genre I'm not a fan of. not the game's fault per se but don't care enough to spend extra money on it.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
If you have a corded 360 controller, just use that.

I can't conceive buying a fighting game for the PC without having or planning to buy a controller...

I might take my foldup keyboard to Evo. Anyone down for Honda keyboard money matches?

Bind spacebar 2 headbutts.
--
Headstomp as counter anti air isn't really that practical. A good Bison isn't always charging for Headstomp/Devil's Reverse. S.RH is his unofficial AA move and it's pretty decent. Learn to zone with it. Learn how it hits, what it trades with, and range.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Zenith said:
got the PC version. not liking it. you just can't do any of the super moves using a keyboard and I'm not going to buy a controller for one game in a genre I'm not a fan of. not the game's fault per se but don't care enough to spend extra money on it.

...you paid money for this?

I find the bolded parts of your post highly suspect.

McBradders said:
...you paid money for this?

I find the bolded parts of your post highly suspect.

Considering the PC version street date is next week, I'm guessing he either pirated it or got a press copy. I'm guessing he didn't pay.

I'm just hoping you aren't giving a review for SF with a keyboard.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
IF someone can, let us know on the PC version what you get? I got a feeling it's going to be really stripped down.

Top Bottom