• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Zenith said:
got the PC version. not liking it. you just can't do any of the super moves using a keyboard and I'm not going to buy a controller for one game in a genre I'm not a fan of. not the game's fault per se but don't care enough to spend extra money on it.
You're crying about not being able to play a fighting game with a keyboard? gtfo :lol

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
prodystopian said:
Considering the PC version street date is next week, I'm guessing he either pirated it or got a press copy. I'm guessing he didn't pay.

I'm just hoping you aren't giving a review for SF with a keyboard.

It's out in the UK today, my copy should be waiting for me at home.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
There has been a pirated version floating around, so that is probably it.

I just discovered the benchmark today and discovered that I can get 60+ fps at 1920x1200 with everything on maximum settings and 8x AA, 16x AF on my PC, so I immediately went and pre-ordered it on Steam. The game looks amazing. I'll probably be selling my PS3 version tomorrow and start looking for a good USB arcade stick (I have a wired 360 controller in the meantime).

McBradders

Dark Stalkers said:
I believe some stores broke the street date.

sakura_take_on_me477.gif
:lol

longdi

Banned
I got the PC version, is distributed by EA. what is it about securom because i checked and seem to be none on my pc? The online is only 1v1? The lobby is pathetic, most i see is 3 open slots, is it like that for consoles? I am using sixaxis on it, works perfectly with the japanese driver. The graphics is 1920x1200 8xmsaa and ink after-effects ... wow, looks closer to the first trailer! :D

McBradders

longdi said:
I got the PC version, is distributed by EA. what is it about securom because i checked and seem to be none on my pc? The online is only 1v1? The lobby is pathetic, most i see is 3 open slots, is it like that for consoles? I am using sixaxis on it, works perfectly with the japanese driver. The graphics is 1920x1200 8xmsaa and ink after-effects ... wow, looks closer to the first trailer! :D

Sounds like the console model.

Zenith

Banned
prodystopian said:
Considering the PC version street date is next week, I'm guessing he either pirated it or got a press copy. I'm guessing he didn't pay.

I'm just hoping you aren't giving a review for SF with a keyboard.

Actually, it was released today.

http://www.capcomeuro-press.com/product.asp?s=85

Thanks for knowing what you were talking about.

You're crying about not being able to play a fighting game with a keyboard? gtfo :lol

"not the game's fault per se but don't care enough to spend extra money on it."

I'm in tears, for realz. Way to try and exaggerate my opinions to make it seem like I'm throwing some massive hyperbolic temper tantrum and therefore shouldn't be taken seriously. PC games should be able to work with PC interfaces. SF1, 2 and alpha worked swell. I am not going to buy a controller for one game. If you decree it "necessary" for fighting game then you are adding £18 to the price of the game.

Like me there are plenty of PC-centric gamers who never touch a gamepad. My post was to inform them how much the game suffers without one. I even say it's not the game's fault, I just don't feel it's worth the extra money. What a bunch of fanboys.

BitchTits

catfish said:
anyone tried taking someone they don't main into championship mode? Try it. TRY IT.

it's devastating for my ratio (down to 50%) but I'm sure I'm leveling up bison ALOT faster than by playing ranked or player matches.

Bison needs an anti air pretty bad

I've been using Honda in championship mode I don't main him at all, but had good results. Don't play Championship too often though after hitting G2E (I hate going into a match and seeing my 1000th VS G2-A Ryu/Sagat/Akuma

Matching G2-E with G2-A seems cruel. ;__;

McBradders

Zenith said:

I'm in tears, for realz. Way to try and exaggerate my opinions to make it seem like I'm throwing some massive hyperbolic temper tantrum and therefore shouldn't be taken seriously. PC games should be able to work with PC interfaces. SF1, 2 and alpha worked swell. I am not going to buy a controller for one game. If you decree it "necessary" for fighting game then you are adding £18 to the price of the game.

Like me there are plenty of PC-centric gamers who never touch a gamepad. My post was to inform them how much the game suffers without one. I even say it's not the game's fault, I just don't feel it's worth the extra money. What a bunch of fanboys.

But... it's an arcade game... calling people "fanboys" because you're playing with the incorrect or, at least, sub-par control method is kind of reaching there. Another loss for console gaming peasants, I guess :(

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Zenith said:

I just don't understand how you could have been interested in this game enough to have bought it without knowing that a keyboard would be an absolutely abyssmal way to control the game. This is what leads me to believe that you were playing a pirated copy that you just downloaded to check the game out. I apologize if I am wrong, but it hurts my mind to think that you would spend money on the game, knowing what it was, and then complain that the keyboard is a sub-par method of control. It would be like buying Guitar Hero without the guitar controller and complaining that the default 360 controller doesn't work very well with the game.

TheExodu5

Banned
As much as I would hate playing with a keyboard, I could see people that are comfortable with it getting very, very good. It would just be really tough getting over the curve and learning to use the directional or WSAD keys instead of a stick/d-pad.

Zenith

Banned
But... it's an arcade game...

But... other arcade-PC ports work just fine. Case in point: previous streetfighters.

calling people "fanboys" because you're playing with the incorrect or, at least, sub-par control method is kind of reaching there.

I call them fanboys for telling me to "fuck off" and trying to get me banned by claiming I pirated it for informing them of the PC version's performance.

I just don't understand how you could be interested in this game enough to have bought it without knowing that a keyboard would be an absolutely abyssmal way to control the game.

I thought it would be worse than a gamepad, but not unplayable. And like I said I'm not willing to buy a peripheral for one game. I am not a fan of fighting games, but I have many fond memories of playing through SSF2T's campaign over and over (on PC, with a keyboard *gasp*). That is how I am interested in it. It is no big loss, I will return it and get something else. I do not understand the sheer vitriol for saying how the game performs with standard PC components. Are you going to claim that every person interested in SF2 PC has a gamepad? No. Are you to going to claim they're all going to buy one just for this game? If I were not me I would be pleased for the info, the same way other people are glad to hear how badly/well ports run from people who took the plunge despite reviews already alluding to the fact.

There's no need to thank me, you're welcome.

preloading on steam complete! gogo july 7! I can't wait to finally not need to turn on my PS3 whenever I just want to bum around in training mode.

also, does the PC version come with the alternate costumes? Asking people to buy that on the PC will be pretty fucking ridiculous.

kinggroin

Banned
BitchTits said:
Speaking generally: Could you really use a keyboard to do the circular movements and all the stuff like FADC? o_O

FADCing should be easy on a keyboard. During the charge, double-tap forward.

?

jett

D-Member
Pop On Arrival said:
preloading on steam complete! gogo july 7! I can't wait to finally not need to turn on my PS3 whenever I just want to bum around in training mode.

also, does the PC version come with the alternate costumes? Asking people to buy that on the PC will be pretty fucking ridiculous.

I'm pretty sure you'll have to buy them. It's not any more ridiculous than asking people to buy them on consoles. Maybe someone will make a patch or a hack or something to get them for free? :p

LakeEarth

TimeKillr said:
Jab version is hit invulnerable.
Med version is throw invulnerable.
Fierce version does the most damage.

:)
Nope. 335 points of damage for all 3. According to SRK the fierce version is projectile invulnerable, but I've never put it to work.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Zenith said:
But... other arcade-PC ports work just fine. Case in point: previous streetfighters.

I call them fanboys for telling me to "fuck off" and trying to get me banned by claiming I pirated it for informing them of the PC version's performance.

I thought it would be worse than a gamepad, but not unplayable. And like I said I'm not willing to buy a peripheral for one game. I am not a fan of fighting games, but I have many fond memories of playing through SSF2T's campaign over and over (on PC, with a keyboard *gasp*). That is how I am interested in it. It is no big loss, I will return it and get something else. I do not understand the sheer vitriol for saying how the game performs with standard PC components. Are you going to claim that every person interested in SF2 PC has a gamepad? No. Are you to going to claim they're all going to buy one just for this game? If I were not me I would be pleased for the info, the same way other people are glad to hear how badly/well ports run from people who took the plunge despite reviews already alluding to the fact.

There's no need to thank me, you're welcome.

What makes SF4 so unplayable when you obviously had no trouble with SSF2 using the keyboard?

Your "information" just sounds so obvious to me. Of course a fighting game is going to control terribly on a keyboard. I would be surprised if there was anyone else out there who thought using a keyboard would be a viable option. Like I said in my last post it would be like someone complaining that Guitar Hero controls terribly using the standard 360 controller.

I don't think anyone was trying to get you banned, but I can see why people thought you got the game for free somehow by reading your original post. It is pretty unthinkable that someone would buy a game they don't care about in a genre they say they don't really like and then make a comment that they aren't enjoying the game even though they are using an obviously inferior control scheme. Why would they go out of their way to buy a game on its release day if they didn't give a damn about it?

I also find it interesting that you have the ability to simply return an opened and installed PC game and "get something else". I had no idea there were still stores out there that accepted returns for PC games.

MoxManiac

jett said:
I'm pretty sure you'll have to buy them. It's not any more ridiculous than asking people to buy them on consoles. Maybe someone will make a patch or a hack or something to get them for free? :p

I could swear I read somewhere that capcom is including them for free as a 'bonus' due the delay of the PC version. Dunno though.

It's not unheard of for paid DLC on console to be free on the PC. Look at CoD4, for example. Capcom likely knows PC gamers won't tolerate that shit.

TheExodu5

Banned
Zefah said:
What makes SF4 so unplayable when you obviously had no trouble with SSF2 using the keyboard?

Your "information" just sounds so obvious to me. Of course a fighting game is going to control terribly on a keyboard. I would be surprised if there was anyone else out there who thought using a keyboard would be a viable option.

I am willing to bet there are some crazy Mugen pros out there that could whip most SF4 players with a keyboard. If you think about it, it's an incredibly fast and responsive input device. It would just take a lot of getting used to to perfect rolling motions like half circles.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
TheExodu5 said:
I am willing to bet there are some crazy Mugen pros out there that could whip most SF4 players with a keyboard. If you think about it, it's an incredibly fast and responsive input device. It would just take a lot of getting used to to perfect rolling motions like half circles.

I had a friend who got really good at Marvel vs Capcom using the keyboard. That is why I was wondering why Zenith had problems with the keyboard for SF4 when he didn't seem to be hindered when playing previous fighting games. I was wondering what specifically about SF4 made it hard to use the keyboard (outside of the obvious reasons).

LordK

MoxManiac said:
I could swear I read somewhere that capcom is including them for free as a 'bonus' due the delay of the PC version. Dunno though.

It's not unheard of for paid DLC on console to be free on the PC. Look at CoD4, for example. Capcom likely knows PC gamers won't tolerate that shit.

Someone on Unity forums (not someone at Capcom) says you have to buy the alts off the marketplace. But I dunno.

Zenith said:

I never claimed you pirated the game. I figured you didn't pay for it as either a press copy or you did pirate it. If I was going to claim you pirated I would have said so directly. I did not realize the game was released in Europe today (/stupid American).

You didn't inform anyone of the performance other than complaining that it is not keyboard friendly, a truly shocking revelation.

You should definitely be more defensive, though.

Totakeke

I just got the game on PC and I must say, the emphasis on link combos are killing me. I spend a few hours on one single movement (Abel's f+mk, dash, heavy punch, cod) and never getting it right. Then I switch to Ryu's combos (c.lp, c.hp, dp), having the same problem getting it out correctly. I hate if I press it a little late, it comes blocked, but if i press it a little early, it doesn't come out at all, so I'm sitting there doing nothing and so I'm vulnerable.

I don't know how newbie friendly it is, but it certainly doesn't feel that way to me. Not saying I'm good at fighting games (because I'm not), but the required dexterity seems to be way higher, compared to something like, sf3. I certainly don't want to spend hours learning links for each combo I want to do. ;/

Multiplayer is pretty okay though, better than I expected. Do you play against XBL too using LIVE on windows? Seems there's a fair amount of people playing for just the PC version alone.

Edit: About the discussion above, I'm also playing with the keyboard, which I'm fairly okay with, since my stick isn't with me now. I do half circle motions no problem as well as executing standard attacks when I want it. But maybe the emphasis on links makes using keyboard harder? Otherwise it doesn't feel different from other fighting games I've played, not sure what issues you're having.

Sectus

Zenith said:
Considering SF4 is extremely similar to SF2 which you played with a keyboard, in which way are the keyboard controls in SF4 bad?

Totakeke

The manual says no crossover between gfw and xbl, so I guess not. I guess most of the people online now are from europe or japan based on their language preferences.

Also, the game runs better than the benchmark indicated for my computer, which is nice.

Zenith

Banned

Considering SF4 is extremely similar to SF2 which you played with a keyboard, in which way are the keyboard controls in SF4 bad?

as I said in my first post, it's practically impossible to do super-attacks that use the power meters. doing 2 quarter circles in quick sucession or that zig-zag motion on what would have been the analogue stick is nigh-impossible and can not be consistently reproduced

I never claimed you pirated the game. I figured you didn't pay for it as either a press copy or you did pirate it.

that sentence is a contradiction.

You didn't inform anyone of the performance other than complaining that it is not keyboard friendly, a truly shocking revelation.

Of course a fighting game is going to control terribly on a keyboard. I would be surprised if there was anyone else out there who thought using a keyboard would be a viable option.

I said it was unplayable as opposed to just being slightly worse than using a gamepad. A massive distinction for people who don't own gamepads but frequently buy console ports. Of course the keyboard is expected to be a viable option. It's not hard. The ONLY other game I've played that would have been better with a gamepad instead of keyboard was MGS2.

LakeEarth

Don't worry about links, you can do plenty of damage without them (not counting things like link -> ultra, but those usually have tons of time to connect)

I beat my first G1 tourney, and got a replay. It was against a Dhalsim though, and my time with MicVlad taught me well so it wasn't really that interesting of a match. Dude kept trying to do throw tricks against my Abel, which is really not the way to beat a character with an unthrowable throw.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Oh, wow. Complaining that a keyboard isn't a good controller for a fighting game. I thought I'd heard it all. That is probably THE single dumbest post in this thread out of 36 thousand odd posts.

Since you're getting so defensive about people saying you pirated it, do what I always do when that happens. Just post a pic of you holding the box with a piece of paper next to it saying "lol, NOT pirated GAF" or something similar.

CO_Andy

Wonder if Zenith has played any fighter after Super SF? Double quarter-circle motions are to be expected from any modern 2D fighter.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
LakeEarth said:
Don't worry about links, you can do plenty of damage without them (not counting things like link -> ultra, but those usually have tons of time to connect)

I beat my first G1 tourney, and got a replay.
It was against a Dhalsim though, and my time with MicVlad taught me well so it wasn't really that interesting of a match. Dude kept trying to do throw tricks against my Abel, which is really not the way to beat a character with an unthrowable throw.

I saw it :lol Cool fight

I got into G1 finally.. Was pretty easy towards the end of G2.. Just kept winning.. Skill really dropped in G2 it feels like.

Got into G1 and instantly got into a final.. of course it was against the #1 guy on XBL in Grade Points.. but I did some dmg and did okay..

Then I played again and got into a final again instantly and beat a Dhalsim and already got a replay up :lol I only have like 15,300 too

G1 so far seems "slightly" more skilled but not by much. Its hard as hell to get a game in the later rounds though

Oh and I fought a 14,600 Akuma.. Shit you only lose 5 points every first round loss.. he must have lost a TON.

MoxManiac

man, starting from scratch is going to suck so much. I think i had about 7000 GP before YLOD so i still had grinding to do even then.

LakeEarth

TurtleSnatcher said:
Oh and I fought a 14,600 Akuma.. Shit you only lose 5 points every first round loss.. he must have lost a TON.
I think I faced him. Did he start every round with a hurricane kick?

By the time you reach G1, you probably have a good stratagy to beat crappy fireball spamming Akumas.

I saw it Cool fight
The replay shows my favorite "90% of the time it works" move, where I jump just out of Dhalsim's anti-air knee (b.rh) range and do my EX CoD, they almost ALWAYS go for the poke and get punished for it. I guess that would work well with Balrog as well.

Fought my first "real" C. Viper today. Constant fake outs, flying every which way, comboing in ways I've never seen, fricken untouchable. DarkHorace SRK... something! Impressed the crap out of me.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
And with that 3 first round losses for a total of -15. Wow :lol . Competition is much higher!

EDIT: Revenge!!! On Third G1 match now :D
EDIT2: On my fourth! Jesus, G1 is barren in the later matches :lol
EDIT3: On my final with like 250K CP. Feels so good.
EDIT4: Bah lost it!! On my way back though! Semi Final G1 again already... it's not that hard, the hardest part is getting the matches

MIMIC

Banned
So, I was playing with a friend on Live who was practicing using the stick so I picked random characters to make it a fair fight, and landed on Gen. Holy shit, this dude has some stupid easy moves. Super easy cross-up, insanely good pokes, and other crap.

If anyone remembers, I was complaining about Gen when I was trying to complete his trials, swearing that I'd never even attempt to learn this guy. But wow, I can actually see myself getting kinda good with him. I even got a perfect on one guy :lol I'm pretty good with that Gekiro kick, too (after doing it so much in his trials).

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
w00t finally won my first G1 with a 560K CP upload as well. I am happy :D

EDIT: LakeEarth, that Viper you mention... the replay is up. Just watched it. Amazing Viper!
EDIT2: Hey, Turtle Snatcher's replay is also up! :lol

JEKKI

omg so I lost today at the Anime Expo tourney against my 3rd opponent...

as a Blanka player, I hate the matchup with E.Honda... especially when the opponent understands the matchup as well...

I lost in the 3rd round of the 3rd match... I jus couldnt win at the wire :(

I also had 4 AI players in my pool lol... and granted my opponent did beat one of them before getting to me...

Top Bottom