• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
GriffD17 said:
I don't have one myself atm. I suppose I could scrounge around for one.

Question: I've heard Chun-Li is low on the hit points. Any truth to this? I was thinking maybe I should try picking up someone else.

Edit: Looks like there is some truth to it.

Hrm, maybe Guile

Just pick someone you think is the most fun and don't worry about things like health and stun and tiers right now. The game's balanced enough to where tiers don't matter at all until you get to highish levels of play.

I just watched some matches of the Singapore international tournament pitting some of the best players from Singapore against Laugh/Poongko from Korea and Itabashi from Japan. The matches were really good. Poongko showed great discipline by committing to a really defensive style against Itabashi's Zangief by slowly chipping away at him and using air hurricanes to escape the corners. And Itabashi is a Sagat killer, in Singapore anyways. That 7-3 matchup meant nothing to him, he ate up many of the best Singapore Sagat players alive, including defeating Pei Hoon(Singapore Champ/Representative) in the KO finals.

What I found kind of odd is why did they have 3 separate tourney's? Was it really necessary to have a tourney with just the foreign representatives on there own? Oh well, I hope to see some more videos on Youtube soon. I'd like to see how Poongko did overall and in the 3 Nation showdown finals which he won.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I think Daigo is more skilled than Mago, and if Sagat was maybe just the best character, and not God mode, Daigo would be the best in Japan.

Jesus christ, how have I not been whiff punishing with cr. hk?????

Here's the channel with the Poongko/Itabashi matches:

http://www.youtube.com/user/liuskusuma#play/uploads

It was kind of boring, as Poongko's do or die style was switched with a turtle mentality. Hopefully, it was because of the character he was playing against.

Edit: It looks like he still has the same reckless style in the other footage. I think he'd get eaten alive by Choi or an Ed Ma.

He does a SRK FADC ex hadoken then ultraL

http://www.youtube.com/user/liuskusuma#play/uploads/17/mGA0N_KlHVA

Pretty cool. He's got good combos and FADC usage. Flowchart srks are not hot though.

Now, if only the TRF footage would leak.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
GriffD17 said:
Whom would you recommend?

Chin is actually a more advanced character. The shotos are the basic to learn the mechanism and engine. You could use Honda who is fairly simple... in paper... or even Blanka. Chun requires a lot of strict timing and for every charge character you need to master that science of charging.

=P

GriffD17 said:
Whom would you recommend?

I hate to say it, but have you tried to do the trials?

Ken, Ryu, Sagat, Boxer and Rufus are easy characters. Stay away from C.Viper, Dhalsim, Fuerte, Gen, etc.

Maybe play the computer on the hardest level, play Neogaf players, look on SRK for useable combos or do the trials. Just don't get discouraged. It's all about leveling up. But you have to make sure you're blocking, etc.

Spiderjericho said:
Here's the channel with the Poongko/Itabashi matches:

http://www.youtube.com/user/liuskusuma#play/uploads

It was kind of boring, as Poongko's do or die style was switched with a turtle mentality. Hopefully, it was because of the character he was playing against.

Edit: It looks like he still has the same reckless style in the other footage. I think he'd get eaten alive by Choi or an Ed Ma.

Now, if only the TRF footage would leak.

Poongko did what he did not because he chose the safer route, he did it because it's practically not possible to rush down Itabashi. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY rushes a top level Zangief player, especially Itabashi's Zangief whom I consider the best Zangief player in the world.

And if you're looking at Poongko's videos in casual play, don't judge him on that alone. He seems much more wreckless and carefree in casual play then he does in real tournaments. In the actual tournament held in Singapore, he won the 3 Nation battle with Itabashi, Laugh, and Pei Hoon, and placed 3rd overall in the KO Tournament which included 15 other contestants.

Against guys like Ma or Choi, I think it's a toss up. Remember, he did take Justin to 7 games in the Gamestop Nationals.

I don't get excited watching Poongko matches. Not to say he's not a good player (because he is and would kick my butt), but he just seems to do the oddest mistakes like throw out hurricane kicks or fierce shoryus. And his spacing for his is too close instead of medium.

And Grif, maybe you could post in here before you go online to announce when you'd like some coaching. I don't really sign onto Live too often, but there are some in here, who are always gaming like Mimic, etc.

And how are people playing the PC SFIV? I looked on Steam and it's only for preorder. I looked on Amazon, preorder and releases on my birthday.

Rice-Eater said:
Poongko did what he did not because he chose the safer route, he did it because it's practically not possible to rush down Itabashi. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY rushes a top level Zangief player, especially Itabashi's Zangief whom I consider the best Zangief player in the world.

And if you're looking at Poongko's videos in casual play, don't judge him on that alone. He seems much more wreckless and carefree in casual play then he does in real tournaments. In the actual tournament held in Singapore, he won the 3 Nation battle with Itabashi, Laugh, and Pei Hoon, and placed 3rd overall in the KO Tournament which included 15 other contestants.

Against guys like Ma or Choi, I think it's a toss up. Remember, he did take Justin to 7 games in the Gamestop Nationals.

Where did you see the other matches? And I'm not selling him short, it's just his style is detrimental as well as a benefit. And I wouldn't consider the Gamestop format real match play. Hopefully, they can get a rematch. And Wong is leveling up right now in Japan, so I think the divide between him and America is about to get a lil wider. Hopefully, Combo and Valle are considering doing the same thing. SBO seems like rough territory.

Here are a couple of videos of him during the actual tournament. Besides the matches with Itabashi, I think these are the only other videos released so far featuring him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aJKE-Ws7cs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHhhj6JNIxg

The 2nd video is his match with Pei Hoon, the Singaporean champ whom you may or may not have seen beating Poongko in casual play. I hope he comes back for Evo so he can try to redeem himself for not winning a single set at the Gamestop exhibition.

As for Japan, I heard that Justin did pretty well in casuals before being taken out by a Bison and Marn did pretty good in a losing effort to Mago. Daigo beat both in casual play and then just disappeared, LOL. Well hopefully the time in Japan helps them so they can do well at SBO.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Maybe play the computer on the hardest level, play Neogaf players, look on SRK for useable combos or do the trials. Just don't get discouraged. It's all about leveling up. But you have to make sure you're blocking, etc.

When I'm just beginning to learn a new character, I'll go into training mode, pick that character as my opponent, ratchet up the difficulty, and just let them waylay on me, just to get a preliminary feel on what's possible.

Though keep in mind that the computer can do a lot of nonsensical stuff that doesn't maximize efficiency.

Timedog said:
Oh, wow. Complaining that a keyboard isn't a good controller for a fighting game. I thought I'd heard it all. That is probably THE single dumbest post in this thread out of 36 thousand odd posts.

Since you're getting so defensive about people saying you pirated it, do what I always do when that happens. Just post a pic of you holding the box with a piece of paper next to it saying "lol, NOT pirated GAF" or something similar.
seriously, I'd rather use a keyboard than a joystick. WASD+numpad ftw.

Lost Fragment said:
When I'm just beginning to learn a new character, I'll go into training mode, pick that character as my opponent, ratchet up the difficulty, and just let them waylay on me, just to get a preliminary feel on what's possible.

Though keep in mind that the computer can do a lot of nonsensical stuff that doesn't maximize efficiency.

This is a good idea. You can figure out their bread and butter this way. Also, he could also go to Street Fighter Dojo to look at some match vids to see kind of how certain characters can be played.

I just want to see him turn his frown upside down.

Aeris130

Any C.Viper players here that can describe the timing for instant HJ BK's?

According to my input data in training mode, I'm doing D -> DB -> B -> UF -> UF+HK, which is what I read on SRK to be the easiest way to perform them (I'm not crossing over the opponents head). But it still only comes out 1/20 times for me (either I get a HJ without BK or a BK without HJ). Do I have to wait for a while before pressing K, and does it work with any kick?

It's simply an old school tiger knee and kick. It works the same for Cammy or Akuma's air fireball. You just have to practice it. Her last couple of trials employ it.

You press the kick when you hit UF or UB. Obviously, you'll know it came out, as it will cancel into the burning kick or you'll super jump. Try the Ex Seismic slam then the TK BK in practice.

Aeris130

Yeah, I can cancel HJ into BK simply by doing HJ first, then BK really fast, but I'm having troubles doing HJ's on the right side.

That's why I decided to try QCB -> UF + K (Cammys hooligan comes out nice), but it won't result in a BK cancel even though my inputs are right there on the screen.

Totakeke

I've been playing abel online, and losing like a chump, having a win rate of only 14% or so. I basically can't win against anyone. ;/

I know I could win a lot more if I could pull off his combos more consistently when I get the window to, but is it just me or his normals just can't beat most of the other characters? I keep getting jabbed out whenever I try to approach for a throw. I can block but that just pushes me out again, and if I try to do some pokes myself, it just seems I'm constantly outpoked by their faster pokes.

Rabbit shotos that jump like crazy also annoys me to no end, they just jump around hoping to get a kick in then start their string or whatever. After that they just jump around me doing cross ups. Cr.HP is way too slow for their constant erratic jumps, and cr.mk needs me to be a bit far away to work which doesn't really help when they jump all around me either. All I can do is keep rolling away....

And.. what options do abel have when he wakes up? The only thing that works for me is to block. Trying to do a tornado throw just gets me poked by them or they do a neutral jump, which means I have to roll away again. What else can I do when I'm knocked down?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Aeris130 said:
Yeah, I can cancel HJ into BK simply by doing HJ first, then BK really fast, but I'm having troubles doing HJ's on the right side.

That's why I decided to try QCB -> UF + K (Cammys hooligan comes out nice), but it won't result in a BK cancel even though my inputs are right there on the screen.

If you get a SJ but no BK, you're probably not pressing the kick button at the right time because the timing for that is sorta different than it is for Akuma/Cammy's tiger knee'd moves. You're gonna want to press the kick button more or less when the steam first comes out of Viper's boots for the SJ. If you press it as soon as you hit UF, the BK probably isn't gonna come out.

If you just get a BK, it means you didn't hit UF quickly enough.

Like a lot of things with Viper, it's just one of those things that just takes practice. But stick with it; Viper's immensely fun once you get used to her :)

LakeEarth

Totakeke said:
I've been playing abel online, and losing like a chump, having a win rate of only 14% or so. I basically can't win against anyone. ;/

I know I could win a lot more if I could pull off his combos more consistently when I get the window to, but is it just me or his normals just can't beat most of the other characters? I keep getting jabbed out whenever I try to approach for a throw. I can block but that just pushes me out again, and if I try to do some pokes myself, it just seems I'm constantly outpoked by their faster pokes.
EX Tornado Throw is invulnerable, so it will grab through the poke. EX CoD has armor, so it will take the hit and still combo. Also, f.mk has good priority and should beat out a jab.

Rabbit shotos that jump like crazy also annoys me to no end, they just jump around hoping to get a kick in then start their string or whatever. After that they just jump around me doing cross ups. Cr.HP is way too slow for their constant erratic jumps, and cr.mk needs me to be a bit far away to work which doesn't really help when they jump all around me either. All I can do is keep rolling away....
If someone is jumping at you and is not crossing you up, a jab roll under the jump to a jab TT usually works against most characters. During the block string, I like to try to EX TT through any holes in their string. But yes, Abel has no good anti-air so I tend to EX roll away when I'm in trouble.

And.. what options do abel have when he wakes up? The only thing that works for me is to block. Trying to do a tornado throw just gets me poked by them or they do a neutral jump, which means I have to roll away again. What else can I do when I'm knocked down?
He has no good wake up. I've seen online some people EX CoD to take the jump in hit and continue the combo, or EX TT so that the kick goes right through you and grabs the guy, but those are tricky.

Ledsen

I was at the SBO block 5 decider today in Takadanobaba, it was really something else. Mago, Iyo, TKD, Nemo, Ojisanboi, Shiro, Justin Wong, Marn (I think? I'm not sure what he looks like) and others were there tearing shit up, and I actually had the courage to play (and get my ass handed to me by) TDK, Ojisanboi and Nemo. So humbling and such an honor. I stayed from 530 until sometime after 11, but it felt more like an hour.

Rice-Eater said:
As for Japan, I heard that Justin did pretty well in casuals before being taken out by a Bison and Marn did pretty good in a losing effort to Mago. Daigo beat both in casual play and then just disappeared, LOL. Well hopefully the time in Japan helps them so they can do well at SBO.

Are we talking about the same event? Daigo was there? I didn't see him -_-

GriffD17 said:
331 matches. 18 wins. 5.43%. At what point do I cry myself to sleep or slit my wrists over this bullshit of a mother mary cunt.
How predictable are you?

When I first got the game, I had similar trouble winning, but after playing a friend all afternoon, he revealed the only reason he kept beating me was that I kept doing the same shit in the same situations over and over. He'd call out my moves as I was doing them.

It's easy to fall into the trap of just doing whatever special move works best in a situation or always rushing forward for offense. You have to sit back and think more about how to defensively piss off or confuse your opponent rather than thinking "oh now would be a good time for a fireball."

Since my friend called me out on being predictable, I changed my whole game up and now I'm doing pretty well in G2.

Aeris130

Lost Fragment said:
If you get a SJ but no BK, you're probably not pressing the kick button at the right time because the timing for that is sorta different than it is for Akuma/Cammy's tiger knee'd moves. You're gonna want to press the kick button more or less when the steam first comes out of Viper's boots for the SJ. If you press it as soon as you hit UF, the BK probably isn't gonna come out.

If you just get a BK, it means you didn't hit UF quickly enough.

Like a lot of things with Viper, it's just one of those things that just takes practice. But stick with it; Viper's immensely fun once you get used to her :)

That did it, thx.

Ledsen said:
I was at the SBO block 5 decider today in Takadanobaba, it was really something else. Mago, Iyo, TKD, Nemo, Ojisanboi, Shiro, Justin Wong, Marn (I think? I'm not sure what he looks like) and others were there tearing shit up, and I actually had the courage to play (and get my ass handed to me by) TDK, Ojisanboi and Nemo. So humbling and such an honor. I stayed from 530 until sometime after 11, but it felt more like an hour.

Are we talking about the same event? Daigo was there? I didn't see him -_-

did you see nemo play against Justin or Marn?

Ledsen

Pop On Arrival said:
did you see nemo play against Justin or Marn?

No, I'm not sure if I saw them playing at all, I saw Justin sit down to play but just as he did the actual tournament started and I went to look at that. I watched a lot of Nemo's matches later (since I play Chun as well), but I'm pretty sure Justin and Marn had left by then.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Rice-Eater said:
Here are a couple of videos of him during the actual tournament. Besides the matches with Itabashi, I think these are the only other videos released so far featuring him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aJKE-Ws7cs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHhhj6JNIxg

The 2nd video is his match with Pei Hoon, the Singaporean champ whom you may or may not have seen beating Poongko in casual play. I hope he comes back for Evo so he can try to redeem himself for not winning a single set at the Gamestop exhibition.

Where are you getting this info about Daigo?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Ledsen said:
They (and almost all of the other elite players) were only there to practice.

how fast do you think daigo can input the motions for a dragon punch? Why did daigo leave after beating marn and j. wang?

GriffD17

MIMIC said:
Who do you play as?

I play as Chun-Li right now.

And thanks everyone for the advice. I was out of the fighting game scene for about 2 console generations. I wanted to jump in for the change of pace. I obviously expected a learning curve, but wowzers.

And yes, I've done the challenges for a number of different people. I usually don't get too far as some of those combos have ridiculous timing constraints.

And I hate to say it, but I'm avoiding Sagat and Ken just cause I don't want to receive the hate.

LakeEarth

Try Honda, he hits hard, has some mobility, and most don't know how to punish his headbutts at the G3 level. Just don't become a standard online Honda that just backs off and does headbutts all day.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
LakeEarth said:
Try Honda, he hits hard, has some mobility, and most don't know how to punish his headbutts at the G3 level. Just don't become a standard online Honda that just backs off and does headbutts all day.

Why not Rufus then?

LakeEarth

arstal said:
Why not Rufus then?
For a novice, Rufus is a bit trickier, and has a shitty distance game. If Griff can connect his ultra consistently and learn his galactic tornado combos, then he should go for it. I always suggest trying out the whole cast before setting on a main.

LakeEarth said:
For a novice, Rufus is a bit trickier, and has a shitty distance game. If Griff can connect his ultra consistently and learn his galactic tornado combos, then he should go for it. I always suggest trying out the whole cast before setting on a main.

Yea Rufus can be tricky.. Short dive kicks I find difficult to get out consistently.

MoxManiac

The main learning curve with Rufus is learning to fight good/experienced Sagats and shotos properly. These guys can shut you down majorly if you aren't familar with Ruf's options and spacing.

GriffD17

Lost Fragment said:
Just pick someone you think is the most fun and don't worry about things like health and stun and tiers right now. The game's balanced enough to where tiers don't matter at all until you get to highish levels of play.

Yeah. After reading the responses, this and espescially Liu Kang Baking A Pie's response, it's gotta be my own mistakes at this level of play. I just hopped on again for a number of matches. Just went winless again. I just don't know.

LakeEarth

GriffD17 said:
Yeah. After reading the responses, this and espescially Liu Kang Banking A Pie's response, it's gotta be my own mistakes at this level of play. I just hopped on again for a number of matches. Just went winless again. I just don't know.
PSN or XBL? Someone on GAF has got to play you and give tips.

GriffD17 said:
Yeah. After reading the responses, this and espescially Liu Kang Baking A Pie's response, it's gotta be my own mistakes at this level of play. I just hopped on again for a number of matches. Just went winless again. I just don't know.

If your XBL I can random some chars and play you and see what you are doing wrong

GriffD17

LakeEarth said:
PSN or XBL? Someone on GAF has got to play you and give tips.
XBL Tag: griffd17

You're welcome to help out if you really want to. I haven't even hooked up this headphone extension to my arcade stick yet. That and I'm trying to finish up with school this summer and am not giving it my full attention.

GriffD17 said:
XBL Tag: griffd17

You're welcome to help out if you really want to. I haven't even hooked up this headphone extension to my arcade stick yet. That and I'm trying to finish up with school this summer and am not giving it my full attention.
GT: MINI Pez

Feel free to add me. I will be on tonight most likely.

dralla

prodystopian said:
Why do you cancel HJ into BK? I just started messing around with Viper and am just curious what the purpose of this is.

ex-seisemo, sjc into bk -> ultra is key for viper. and on knock down you use it to cross up or fake the cross up with the lk bk. it's also a good way to pressure, it can come up pretty fast if you execute the bk at the right angle coming off the sj

her whole game is pretty much built around it. if you want to play viper well you really need to use it.

dralla said:
ex-seisemo, sjc into bk -> ultra is key for viper. and on knock down you use it to cross up or fake the cross up with the lk bk. it's also a good way to pressure, it can come up pretty fast if you execute the bk at the right angle coming off the sj

her whole game is pretty much built around it. if you want to play viper well you really need to use it.

Thanks to you and Farms. I tried playing some casuals with Viper and it is not easy to just jump into using her. I don't think I'll ever have as much time as I want to play this game. So many things to work on.

Edit: Thanks for the links to those fights. First round ending for JW is pretty crazy and I was surprised to see Mago missed a few Ultra opportunities.

Top Bottom