• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

BitchTits

Does Fei Long have any Ultra set ups? I think I might've been Ultra'd from a jump in HP once IIRC.

I met a good Fei Long yesterday in G2, I won with Honda, but he would punish my headbutts with rekka ken and it was a good, even match, never fought a Fei Long in Championship mode before.

BitchTits said:
Does Fei Long have any Ultra set ups? I think I might've been Ultra'd from a jump in HP once IIRC.
Yeah, jump in HP and HK -> ultra works

also, that fire kick, FADC, Ultra works, but since the second hit causes the cutscene, you don't get full damage

Yeah, he's more like FAILong. That's my nickname for him.

YakiSOBA

Thanks for more advice guys!

Question though, when I score a knockdown and I have all those options listed... the main thing I'm worried/paranoid about (When playing vs a shoto)... can't they do a wakup srk on me no matter what I choose to do? If I jump over him to cross him, cant he srk me while i'm in the air? or if I time it right, he can't SRK me? Same goes with all the other options, are they all *safe* as long as the timing is right?

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
YakiSOBA said:
Thanks for more advice guys!

Question though, when I score a knockdown and I have all those options listed... the main thing I'm worried/paranoid about (When playing vs a shoto)... can't they do a wakup srk on me no matter what I choose to do? If I jump over him to cross him, cant he srk me while i'm in the air? or if I time it right, he can't SRK me? Same goes with all the other options, are they all *safe* as long as the timing is right?

Nah, not always safe, the code is pretty lenient and the SRK might pop out in your direction even if the input was the other way (IIRC), the best thing to do is to simply try and bait a shoto in to a mistake.

GriffD17

Nothing better than ending a losing streak by losing to a 1 GP Zangief doing that spinny thing and a Dan that liked to do those fucking taunts over and over. Fuck you both.

GriffD17 said:
Nothing better than ending a losing streak by losing to a 1 GP Zangief doing that spinny thing and a Dan that liked to do those fucking taunts over and over. Fuck you both.
Do you still play Chun? Download Relix's recent replay off the leaderboards. It'll show you how to deal with lariat-happy Giefs

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
_dementia said:
Do you still play Chun? Download Relix's recent replay off the leaderboards. It'll show you how to deal with lariat-happy Giefs

Well now I feel important :lol

Griff add my GT, Lord Relix. I main Chun so I might be able to show you a few things regarding her.

Also.. next week... I'll need sparring partners to get used to the TE stick :lol I am sure I am gonna suck for a week or so, that means I won't touch Championship mode for a whiiiile.

TheExodu5 said:
How's Sakura?

I want someone who isn't a charge character, and I'm not a fan of the male characters in SF.

I like C. Viper because she has incredible looking moves. =\

Stick with Viper and learn from experience. She's tough but you'll feel comfortable with her after a while and you can start getting into more complex techniques with her. There's always the SRK boards to help you with matchups and whatever other Viper help you might need.

I would also advise that you pick up Ryu as a secondary if you want to learn another character too.

GriffD17

Relix said:
Well now I feel important :lol

Griff add my GT, Lord Relix. I main Chun so I might be able to show you a few things regarding her.

Also.. next week... I'll need sparring partners to get used to the TE stick :lol I am sure I am gonna suck for a week or so, that means I won't touch Championship mode for a whiiiile.

Thank you so much. Will do. Don't know how much I'll be on in the coming weeks. Got a whirlwhind of a course to get done. I do always get a kick of watching replays from people here though.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
TheExodu5 said:
How's Sakura?

I want someone who isn't a charge character, and I'm not a fan of the male characters in SF.

I like C. Viper because she has incredible looking moves. =\

Sakura pretty much sucks overall but she's fun and you can pull off some nice combos with her. If you don't mind her pathetic damage output and losing more than winning, go for it. I would say just keep trying characters till someone clicks--like Gen did for me.

If your definition of fun is not being able to do anything against competent players, then yeah, Sakura's very fun.

Also, discovered a full proof way of SRK'ing crossups on wakeup. If you're expecting an ambiguous crossup, when you're on the ground, mash db, df, db, df repeatedly, so you get a srk intput for either side you wake up on. The second you wake up, just mash a punch, and you'll automatically hit the person trying to crossup.

This IS fullproof :lol (not even being sarcastic here) You'll always srk in the right direction.

~Devil Trigger~ said:
using Viper is more complicated then it looks, go to SRK Viper Boards now. Too much to explain here

Very true, but if you learn how to work her, then that C tier becomes a A tier. Very quick, frame rate, ties together very smooth in combos, and she have a double jump that can set up amazing combos.

Chauncy Talon said:
Very true, but if you learn how to work her, then that C tier becomes a A tier. Very quick, frame rate, ties together very smooth in combos, and she have a double jump that can set up amazing combos.

ROFL no way, viper's B tier at BEST. Normals that get beat out by everything, anti air that gets stuffed the majority of time, mixups that get shut down by FA's, the list goes on.

Viper's a really fun character to play, she has some nice offensive tools, and if you land a jumpin, you can do some big damage, but she has terrible defense, loses poking wars in every situation, and once knocked down it's almost impossible to come back w/ her.

She's enjoyable, but don't have any disillusions of grandeur with her.

toneroni

FindMyFarms said:
Also, discovered a full proof way of SRK'ing crossups on wakeup. If you're expecting an ambiguous crossup, when you're on the ground, mash db, df, db, df repeatedly, so you get a srk intput for either side you wake up on. The second you wake up, just mash a punch, and you'll automatically hit the person trying to crossup.

This IS fullproof :lol (not even being sarcastic here) You'll always srk in the right direction.
o_O must try after work! :D

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
FindMyFarms said:
If your definition of fun is not being able to do anything against competent players, then yeah, Sakura's very fun.

Well, if anyone needs even more ways to punish people, it's shotos. God forbid someone crosses them up! SF4: "meaty!? What's that?"

GriffD17

FindMyFarms said:
...Foolproof SRK...

No, no, no, no. It can't be. I was in training mode today for a bit practicing my crossups against a CPU Ken. I loved it when I'd cross up, even though I'd miss the hit, the SRK would whiff. Bah. This post must be removed and not seen or heard of again.

bob_arctor said:
Well, if anyone needs even more ways to punish people, it's shotos. God forbid someone crosses them up! SF4: "meaty!? What's that?"

I remember before the game came out I was trying to figure out meaty attacks. Waste of time for this game!

About the wake up srk, I was playing around in training mode and recorded Ryu to just crouch and jab. I crossed him up at just the right time and he did a srk. WTF. Just hold d/f and you can do a srk.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
FindMyFarms said:
ROFL no way, viper's B tier at BEST. Normals that get beat out by everything, anti air that gets stuffed the majority of time, mixups that get shut down by FA's, the list goes on.

Viper's a really fun character to play, she has some nice offensive tools, and if you land a jumpin, you can do some big damage, but she has terrible defense, loses poking wars in every situation, and once knocked down it's almost impossible to come back w/ her.

She's enjoyable, but don't have any disillusions of grandeur with her.

and Stun Stun Stun

i get out of very few matches vs good Vipers without getting stunned at least once.

Man, I played last night for the first time in over a month. Took me about a hour or so to get back in the groove. I used Dictator and won a championship. It felt so good to go against a Sagat in the Final round and punish those missed tiger uppercuts and ultra's. :D

TheExodu5

Banned
I'll probably just stick with Viper because she is fun to use, and like I said, her moves look incredibly good (especially the fire kick).

Now, I played some SF2 Turbo for the first time in a while last night, and I tried Cammy out. Her offense seemed terrible, but she seemed to have really nice anti-air and pokes (though like I said, I'm a nub, so I could be mistaken on that). Is she decent in SF4?

Any other female shotos in SF4?

TheExodu5 said:
I'll probably just stick with Viper because she is fun to use, and like I said, her moves look incredibly good (especially the fire kick).

Now, I played some SF2 Turbo for the first time in a while last night, and I tried Cammy out. Her offense seemed terrible, but she seemed to have really nice anti-air and pokes (though like I said, I'm a nub, so I could be mistaken on that). Is she decent in SF4?

Sakura is the only shoto in SF4.

TheExodu5

Banned
Chauncy Talon said:
Sakura is the only shoto in SF4.

Maybe I'm missing what shoto means. :lol I thought it meant characters that stick to QCF/QCB instead of charge moves.

I guess shoto just means Ryu/Ken/Sakura, the hadoken characters?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
FindMyFarms said:
ROFL no way, viper's B tier at BEST.

I disagree with this. She does have obvious weaknesses, but her high damage/stun combos, being able to combo into ultra from anywhere, and all of her mind games and little tricks more than make up for them. She's pretty solid B tier, imho.

TheExodu5 said:

Cammy is OK. Fun to play, but not tournament viable since she's at such a profound disadvantage against characters that can turtle well like Guile and Balrog. She is a ton easier to learn than Viper, though. If you're new to the game I'd recommend her as an alt.

TheExodu5 said:
Maybe I'm missing what shoto means. :lol I thought it meant characters that stick to QCF/QCB instead of charge moves.

I guess shoto just means Ryu/Ken/Sakura, the hadoken characters?

Do you have this on PS3 or 360. I can help you out if you want some help. I played in the Regions of the Gamestop SFIV tournament

IMG_0090-1.jpg

TheExodu5

Banned
Chauncy Talon said:
Do you have this on PS3 or 360. I can help you out if you want some help. I played in the Regions of the Gamestop SFIV tournament

PC :lol.

I'm waiting for a sale or price drop before picking this up on PS3 (I picked up a PS3 SF4 TE stick last week).

Is there a tier list someone could post? I'm just curious. Tier won't stop me from choosing a character...just want to know where everyone stands.

Overall Tier Rank
S Rank: Sagat
A Rank: Ryu, Akuma, Zangief
B Rank: M.Bison, Rufus, Balrog, C.Viper, E.Honda
C Rank: Abel, El Fuerte, Dhalsim, Chun-li, Ken, Blanka
D Rank: Guile, Vega

Ryu Match-up tier
4:6 Disadvantage: Sagat
5:5 Neutral: M.Bison, Balrog, Dhalsim, El Fuerte, Blanka
6:4 Advantage: Akuma, Zangief, C.Viper, E.Honda, Abel, Chun-li, Ken, Guile, Vega, Rufus

ChennehCis said:
Overall Tier Rank
S Rank: Sagat
A Rank: Ryu, Akuma, Zangief
B Rank: M.Bison, Rufus, Balrog, C.Viper, E.Honda
C Rank: Abel, El Fuerte, Dhalsim, Chun-li, Ken, Blanka
D Rank: Guile, Vega

Ryu Match-up tier
4:6 Disadvantage: Sagat
5:5 Neutral: M.Bison, Balrog, Dhalsim, El Fuerte, Blanka
6:4 Advantage: Akuma, Zangief, C.Viper, E.Honda, Abel, Chun-li, Ken, Guile, Vega, Rufus

Akuma's moved up, or maybe I haven't been playing attention. This is Diago's tier list right?

Does Sagat have any bad match ups?

Lost Fragment said:
Cammy is OK. Fun to play, but not tournament viable since she's at such a profound disadvantage against characters that can turtle well like Guile and Balrog. She is a ton easier to learn than Viper, though. If you're new to the game I'd recommend her as an alt.
evildrakefang came super-close to beating Choi in a tourney w/ cammy.

the way he, and allen and a couple others play her, should could be viable... though she'd still be at a disadvantage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIGpUUWuxW4

Cammy's not a bad character at all. Just make sure you NEVER use her spin knuckle. Any time you think you can use it(ie predicting a fireball, cuz otherwise you're eating it), jumping would be a better option.

@Exodus - Make sure you know that viper's moves look "cool", cuz they're definitely not "good" :lol

Also I timetravelled backwards and pm'ed Daigo da atni corsup tekniks

Top Bottom