• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

FindMyFarms said:
Cammy's not a bad character at all. Just make sure you NEVER use her spin knuckle. Any time you think you can use it(ie predicting a fireball, cuz otherwise you're eating it), jumping would be a better option.
only reason i would even consider disagreeing is that you can combo into her ultra (or super) pretty easily from SBF, and she doesnt really have good combos into ultra other than spike>fadc>backdash>ultra.

that being said more times than not i get spanked for using it.

Cromulent_Word said:
only reason i would even consider disagreeing is that you can combo into her ultra (or super) pretty easily from SBF, and she doesnt really have good combos into ultra other than spike>fadc>backdash>ultra.

that being said more times than not i get spanked for using it.

That's only in the corner, and even then it's wayyyy risky. You could still just do jump in to ultra. SBF is just too slow.

FindMyFarms said:
That's only in the corner, and even then it's wayyyy risky. You could still just do jump in to ultra. SBF is just too slow.
no, you can combo from anywhere on screen. but yah, its crazy risky and like i said, i get frigging spanked 9 times outta 10.

Arde5643

Chauncy Talon said:
Cammy is lovely and powerful, just she lacks safe moves but have speed similar to Fei Long.
Fixed.

smh at saying Cammy doesn't hit hard - her biggest downfalls are her lack of safe attacks combined with lack of overhead, she hits hard enough as it is.
Cannon strike -> FADC -> cannon strike hits like a brick.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Cammy lacks power? Her SRK kick thing does sweet damage, as does her spinny twirl body penis attack when up close.

I think Cammy is much better online than in a real match. Depending on lag her ex bally throw is hard to duck and she recovers from it super quick. Her jumpy up splits kick SRK can be hard to punish with lag (with ryu) if I have no ex, cause i gotta time a perfect inch forward and cr. mk (although when I do imma hit that god damn tatsu afterwards and pillage). I know I can punish it with an ex SRK but that's such a weak and shitty move that it's barely worth it.

Anyone have a better non ex punish for blocked uppy floaty kick with Ryu?

Cammy is better offline. Less f*ckups on her combos offline. Although some people do play Spammy pretty well online. It's just a matchup where patience wins most of the time.

SBF is useless. Not even worth it as a surprise move. FMF is completely right: jump in and ultra instead from j.rh. The opponent has something stupid like 11 frames to hit you out of SBF. This move for sure didn't get playtested (by anyone with a brain, anyway).

But she hits hard as hell. That, the general ease of some of her combos, and her dash/FA is what make her viable. And Balrog/Guile are not terrible matchups, I do fine in those situations. Think like a turtle, and what you would do in those situations. Step yo' mind games up.

Zangief and Honda on the other hand...yeah, they're bastards for her. Seth too.

She's one safe, GOOD special and/or an overhead away from B tier. And take the damn landing lag off her dive kick, no one else has that garbage.

@ Timedog:

Walk forward and sweep her. Then start some crossup magic

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Yeah, if she got a decent overhead and/or hooligan throw hit crouching opponents, she'd be mid tier.

Anybody think they're going to alter moves that much in SFIV v2? I'd love for the console characters to be made a bit more viable in high-level play.

Arde5643

Lost Fragment said:
Yeah, if she got a decent overhead and/or hooligan throw hit crouching opponents, she'd be mid tier.
Make SBF have faster startup and better recovery, give her a simple regular overhead and she'll be pretty good.

Steaks

Cromulent_Word said:
evildrakefang came super-close to beating Choi in a tourney w/ cammy.

the way he, and allen and a couple others play her, should could be viable... though she'd still be at a disadvantage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIGpUUWuxW4
I don't think evildrakefang has ever played Choi in his life. The are from opposite sides of the country and he never really travels. He did however, almost beat Eric Kim.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Killa Sasa said:
Cammy is better offline. Less f*ckups on her combos offline. Although some people do play Spammy pretty well online. It's just a matchup where patience wins most of the time.

SBF is useless. Not even worth it as a surprise move. FMF is completely right: jump in and ultra instead from j.rh. The opponent has something stupid like 11 frames to hit you out of SBF. This move for sure didn't get playtested (by anyone with a brain, anyway).

But she hits hard as hell. That, the general ease of some of her combos, and her dash/FA is what make her viable. And Balrog/Guile are not terrible matchups, I do fine in those situations. Think like a turtle, and what you would do in those situations. Step yo' mind games up.

Zangief and Honda on the other hand...yeah, they're bastards for her. Seth too.

She's one safe, GOOD special and/or an overhead away from B tier. And take the damn landing lag off her dive kick, no one else has that garbage.

@ Timedog:

Walk forward and sweep her. Then start some crossup magic

Everyone has less fuckups online, so. Also, why would I sweepy kick, which is slower than long crouchey pokey kick and much harder to time, when I can do an easier long crouchey pokey kick into spinny spin air kick or ex spinny spin air kick for way more damage, and still get the knock down?

kensk said:
I don't think evildrakefang has ever played Choi in his life. The are from opposite sides of the country and he never really travels. He did however, almost beat Eric Kim.
my bad, that was allen. they are both pretty dang awesome tho.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Lost Fragment said:

Anybody think they're going to alter moves that much in SFIV v2? I'd love for the console characters to be made a bit more viable in high-level play.

If spinny horizontal travelly throw hit crouching opponents it would be so fucking cheap.

Timedog said:
Everyone has less fuckups online, so. Also, why would I sweep, which is slower than mk and MUCH harder to time, when I can do an easier cr. mk into tatsu or ex tatsu for way more damage, and still get the knock down?

Idk, I don't play Ryu. It's what everybody does to me :lol

FoxSpirit

FindMyFarms said:
Cammy's not a bad character at all. Just make sure you NEVER use her spin knuckle. Any time you think you can use it(ie predicting a fireball, cuz otherwise you're eating it), jumping would be a better option.

@Exodus - Make sure you know that viper's moves look "cool", cuz they're definitely not "good" :lol

Also I timetravelled backwards and pm'ed Daigo da atni corsup tekniks

o_O

The Japanese must be pretty dumb to rank her at S tier then... and no, I'm NOT kidding you :D

Arde5643

Timedog said:
If spinny horizontal travelly throw hit crouching opponents it would be so fucking cheap.
Agreed - give her a simple overhead instead of making a good move cheap (don't need anymore broken moves a la Sagat's tiger knee).

Timedog said:
how would it be cheap? it has such a crazy long travel time (even the lp & ex versions), if you just sit there and crouch you deserve to be hit.

Arde5643

Cromulent_Word said:
how would it be cheap? it has such a crazy long travel time (even the lp & ex versions), if you just sit there and crouch you deserve to be hit.
Well, you can't jump for one - not sure if you can backdash, but since some backdashes are counted as airborn, you can get thrown too.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Cromulent_Word said:

I was under the impression that crouching is the main way to defend against it. With Ryu I can jumping yell knee-out air punch but I don't know anything else that beats it. I don't think I've ever hit her out of it with anything but a dragon punch, so I just stopped trying other moves.

If it, as you say, has such a long travel time, and, as you implied, it's not hard to defend against, then how would making it hit crouching opponents make any difference in the character matchups.

you can backdash or jump away after its started up (i believe), and i've been hit out of it with just about every fierce punch or roundhouse kick the game has. I think almost any well-timed normal will hit her out of it for that matter.

the only way to get hit by it is jump into it, or do nothing... almost everything else will stop it. it's only real use is A) EX version over fireball spam, B) timed well against someone who quick rises and thus is auto-hit by the throw (since quick rise sets you to stand).

the rest of the time cammy *should* get smacked out of it since its sooooo telegraphed.

Just bought a TE stick from Capcom's official store.

I've been pretty satisfied with the Hori EX2, but with the glut of fighting games coming out, and my increased dedication to them, I feel it was time to upgrade.

Let's just hope the shipping doesn't take forever.

Omar Ismail said:
Just bought a TE stick from Capcom's official store.

I've been pretty satisfied with the Hori EX2, but with the glut of fighting games coming out, and my increased dedication to them, I feel it was time to upgrade.

Let's just hope the shipping doesn't take forever.

Your going to be amazed by the TE stick. Hori EX 2 is ok, but it makes to many clicking noises.

Manus

I would love to play with some of you guys on the 360 version. My gamertag is SquirrelNuckle if anyone is up for some matches.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Speaking of higher-level Cammys, I just beat Draykaden in a G1 match. Not that 1 online match really means anything, but I feel proud of myself anyway :lol

FindMyFarms said:
ROFL no way, viper's B tier at BEST. Normals that get beat out by everything, anti air that gets stuffed the majority of time, mixups that get shut down by FA's, the list goes on.

Viper's a really fun character to play, she has some nice offensive tools, and if you land a jumpin, you can do some big damage, but she has terrible defense, loses poking wars in every situation, and once knocked down it's almost impossible to come back w/ her.

She's enjoyable, but don't have any disillusions of grandeur with her.

Home now, so I guess I'll respond to this more in-depth, since I see a lot of wrong things with what you said.

It's not a good idea to throw out a bunch of fas against a good Viper 'cause if you do, you gonna get raped. The only way to reliably fa her mixups is if you know a bk is coming, which can be difficult since instant bks come out so quickly, and sometimes Viper lands and recovers at just the right distance to still be at an advantage. Plus, once it becomes obvious that you're gonna try and fa her mixups a lot, it's easy enough to start doing fa-breaking things like j.hk, bk; j.lk, bk; and other things to keep you guessing.

Not to mention that tk comes out lightning fast and is armor breaking, and ex tk is quick enough to crumple stun you out of focus armor/focus cancel dash from a decent distance, getting you F'd UTA with a combo or an ultra.

So, her anti-air. I don't know about stuffed a lot of the time, but it does trade a good deal, which usually isn't a good thing since Viper has lower health than most. But this can be a good thing if she has ultra, since she recovers quickly enough from the trade to dash forward and connect with her ultra.

Her normals are decent, but not the best. But she does have the best overhead in the game, and her c.mp comes out pretty darn fast. And her c.mp does stuff a lot of things. That stuff on top of her TK feint mixups more than makes up for it, imho.

As for her wakeup game...yeah, I mostly agree that she doesn't have many good options there. ex BK is a great "get the hell out of dodge" move with good aa priority, and ex seismo is good against people who don't play many Vipers and aren't expecting the invincibility frames, but she's still at a disadvantage against characters that have a lot of options to hit you with on wakeup, yeah. In particular, characters that have good crossups.

Anyway, Viper definitely isn't s-tier, and probably isn't a-tier, but I just think you're underestimating her options and versitility a fair bit :)

Acronyms, fuck yeah.

Arde5643

Spirit of Jazz said:
Might I just ask what makes Gen mid tiered? I always though his only real strength was his crossover kick.
Mantis s.MK is a fast move that hits almost half a screen with good recovery, comboable to hands to build meter and dissuade anyone from FAing Gen on the ground.

Since Mantis s.MK or s.MP to hands is also a true unpunishable blockstring, a decent Gen should be able to build meter really fast. And with super meter, Gen can do really really nasty damage since he has so many ways to combo to his super - and obviously the mantis super is comboable to the mantis ultra as well.

Basically, when fighting a decent Gen with super meter stocked, you're just waiting for the time when you'll lose 40% of your life or more than 60% of your life if he has ultra stocked as well.

He also has a great get off me wake-up move with EX meter: EX Oga - invincible to hit/throw and gets him the fuck away as soon as possible.

Other than that, his short jumps make it harder to fireball zone him and his fast and pretty decent ranged focus attack makes him able to pressure and threat people in middle range.

His biggest weaknesses IMO :
* low health
* lack of ranged moves means he has to get close to his opponents, which can be dangerous to his already low health.
* lack of good AA special or normals, although with EX Oga he can escape easily

DigiMish

I'm hearing more and more from the good players that Gen is a gimmicky character. I'm personally waiting until someone comes along and unlocks Gen's potential. As of right now, all he has going for him is that Super to Ultra combo.

I think that Gen is a huge turn-off for people because of his 2 stance thing. And in the rare occasions when I play him, I completely forget about his other stance half the time :lol

Arde5643 said:
Gen strats...

Thanks a lot, I'll start working on Gen tomorrow to see if I can do anything with him. I was always put off by his dire health and never really looked beyond the obvious with him, but I'd love to play as a character who focused on the up close ad personal that would actually stand a chance against my friends high tiered character, Abel's short comings are really starting to ware on me.

Etelmik

Neo Member
Actually, Gen is usually at D in people's opinion.

All he has is crossups and the little kick on the ground, and once you know that, he's easy to stop.

Plus all the other reasons you mentioned. And two of his special moves are terrible (seriously, 2nd and 3rd worst in the game imo) and two are two are average/alright.

Arde5643

DigiMish said:
I'm hearing more and more from the good players that Gen is a gimmicky character. I'm personally waiting until someone comes along and unlocks Gen's potential. As of right now, all he has going for him is that Super to Ultra combo.

I think that Gen is a huge turn-off for people because of his 2 stance thing. And in the rare occasions when I play him, I completely forget about his other stance half the time :lol
Youtube yeb's Gen to see a potential of Gen in high level play.

Etelmik said:
Actually, Gen is usually at D in people's opinion.

All he has is crossups and the little kick on the ground, and once you know that, he's easy to stop.

Plus all the other reasons you mentioned. And two of his special moves are terrible (seriously, 2nd and 3rd worst in the game imo) and two are two are average/alright.

That's what I asked about and what people debunked... One of my main issues with Gen was his reliance on his low short in mantis from cross overs given how unsafe it was but Arde just went out of his way to describe how Gen shouldn't be relying on those attacks.

Etelmik

Neo Member
Can't find any, Geb is a word in some other language : |

I've played good Gens before. Just because someone is awesome with a character doesn't make the character good tier. I've played Dans that are really good, too.

Etelmik said:
Can't find any, Geb is a word in some other language : |

I've played good Gens before. Just because someone is awesome with a character doesn't make the character good tier. I've played Dans that are really good, too.

Dan is phenomenal if you know how to use him. His super can be canceled into his ultra. A lot of people do not know that.

comrade

Just got done playing some games with B1g Randall. Fun games man, we need to play randoms next. You've got SRK -> FADC down to protect yourself from getting punished, now you just need to add an ultra at the end and you'll be nasty.

Arde5643

Spirit of Jazz said:
That's what I asked about and what people debunked... One of my main issues with Gen was his reliance on his low short in mantis from cross overs given how unsafe it was but Arde just went out of his way to describe how Gen shouldn't be relying on those attacks.
JiBBo probably qualifies as one of the best Gens in US.

Some sample:
vs. Sagat

vs Bison/Chun

vs Rufus

Honestly, from seeing the potential of Gen, he is definitely at least mid tier if not more. The only thing I can see he needs is just regular health (1000 stamina) to make him a real solid mid tier.

Chauncy Talon said:
Dan is phenomenal if you know how to use him. His super can be canceled into his ultra. A lot of people do not know that.
WTF? Dan sucks - he really sucks, probably the worst character in the game or at least he's sharing a bunkbed with Claw.
Sure, he's not as bad as in Alpha, but it's hard to compare a character as bad as Alpha Dan.

DigiMish

Chauncy Talon said:

Dan is far from phenomenal, but it's the best Dan compared to the other games he's appeared in. He still sucks, and you'll never see him in tournaments, but yea - he has a few tricks up his sleeves.

Chauncy Talon said:

DigiMish said:
Dan is far from phenomenal, but it's the best Dan compared to the other games he's appeared in. He still sucks, and you'll never see him in tournaments, but yea - he has a few tricks up his sleeves.

Like I said, if you know how to use him. Also, nobody in Tournaments pick him because they go for A Tiers and Up, unless you Justin Wong. I cannot see how he can pick anybody in the game like he sparing at home.

DigiMish

That Sagat on the first Gen video sucked.

But overall, I'm very impressed by that particular Gen. He's all up in your face, which is more than I can say for the 3 or 4 Gen's I've faced online. They usually just stay away from me and do that kick move that gets them to my side of the screen.

ArjanN

DigiMish said:

I was just in a tournament mode final as Dan, the other guy was Ryu, the first round he beat me with just a fraction of life left, and went "ha. ha. ha." in a german accent.

I then beat him pretty badly the next 2 rounds until he ragequit right at the last second.

Sucked that I didn't get that win, but at least he lost his tournament progress.

Arde5643

DigiMish said:
That Sagat on the first Gen video sucked.

But overall, I'm very impressed by that particular Gen. He's all up in your face, which is more than I can say for the 3 or 4 Gen's I've faced online. They usually just stay away from me and do that kick move that gets them to my side of the screen.
Being decent at Gen takes a lot of work, although it's probably easier to start out as Gen than as Viper.

Top Bottom