• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

TheExodu5

Banned
Relix said:
SF on a pad is extraordinarily good. A stick is for those who aim to be truly competitive, not casual play. And yes, I just called me truly competitive :lol

Hell, I don't know if I ever plan on being competitive in a fighter. I'm just having a lot more fun playing with a stick.

Crystalkoen

TheExodu5 said:
Hell, I don't know if I ever plan on being competitive in a fighter. I'm just having a lot more fun playing with a stick.

I've played it both ways (friend of mine has the 60 and the 130 dollar HORI sticks, and had the Madcatz pads for the PS2 for Third Strike), and while I find I enjoy playing it more on a pad, the ability to do cancels/lots of moves with heavy directional input on a stick is far higher than the pad can manage, an example being Shoryuken inputs into double forward Supers/Ultras.

NYR

OH SNAP

8838-CCon1.jpg

8838-SFIV-ccon.jpg

http://gear.ign.com/articles/100/1005437p1.html

July 20, 2009 - Since its humble origins in the early 1970s, Comic-Con has expanded from an original audience of several hundred people to an annual audience of 100,000+ attendees today. What had begun as a simple comic convention has grown into a multi-faceted movies, comics, collectibles, and gaming extravaganza, which boasts exclusive industry panels, announcements, screenings, and more. In recent years, several prominent companies have adopted the practice of adding incentive for attendees by producing and selling Comic-Con exclusive products, such as the new Street Fighter IV Tournament Edition FightStick and FightPad announced today by Mad Catz.

In support of their presence at Comic-Con, Mad Catz has produced two show-exclusive models of their wildly popular FightPad and FightStick lines for Street Fighter IV. In total, only 1,500 units will be available for both product types, with 1,000 FightPads (500 Xbox 360, 500 PS3) and 500 Tournament Edition FightSticks (250 Xbox 360, 250 PS3) being produced for the show. Both models feature custom artwork and packaging licensed by Capcom, and each Tournament Edition FightStick will be sequentially numbered.

"The Limited Edition Street Fighter IV range we are introducing for Comic-Con is a further example of the opportunities presented by working with world class partners such as Capcom. Since launching the Street Fighter IV range, the hardcore gaming community has responded enthusiastically and has proven instrumental in shaping the future evolution of the products," said Darren Richardson, President and Chief Executive Officer of Mad Catz. "We are delighted to introduce a Limited Edition range created for this loyal and important group of consumers."

The Comic-Con edition of the Tournament Edition FightStick and FightPads will be available for $179.99 and $49.99 respectively from July 22 to July 26 at the San Diego Convention Center.

qcf x2

Crystalkoen said:
Also, any tips for beating flowchart Kens as Sakura? I tend to fall back on Gouki when I encounter them, just because I seem to do better overall as him, but want to get better with using Sakura (and lacking good anti-air to counter their jump-in shit annoys me).

Bait the dragon punch, then do this: cr. jab, cr. fierce punch, EX hurricane, walk forward, jab (to reset them), dash to the other side, cr. fierce punch, EX hurricane, f,d,df+K (x3).

Now you've taken roughly half of their health and have them stunned which means...yep, you can do it again.

Or you can punish with standing roundhouse kick. A missed dragon punch, that dumb forward+mk move he has, and various other whiffs and far attacks can be punished by that. Cr. fierce punch is also a decent counter if they're close, since it links into just about everything.

Trust me, if you're facing a flowchart Ken then that means that he's coming to you, which means you've got it easy. The hardest thing to do with Sakura is to manage distance.

jibblypop

Banned
Hey guys I havent posted in here in ages because I'm just a casual player. I love street fighter but I cant keep up with you guys.

I'd like some advice though. I use Blanka (seems to be a good choice for beginners) and I can do every move in the game pretty much no problem except for Blanka's ultra. 4 out of every 5 times he just ducks down instead of doing it. I never had this problem in Street Fighter 2 HD even with the standard 360 pad.

So my question is would buying the madcatz pad help me at all (I suck with arcade sticks) to do this move more consistently? OR is there something about the way this game is programmed that is making me do that ducking move all the time even though I could do his super move without fail in HD remix?

DR2K

Banned
Just bought myself a TE stick, everything is great, I can hit links I've never hit before consistently, do tiger knee motions easily, etc. . . but I can't seem to land ultra's quite as easily anymore. Is there a method to this madness.

Danielsan

DR2K said:
Just bought myself a TE stick, everything is great, I can hit links I've never hit before consistently, do tiger knee motions easily, etc. . . but I can't seem to land ultra's quite as easily anymore. Is there a method to this madness.
I want to know this too.
My inability to do a double quarter circle motion with the stick is killing me.

Crystalkoen

qcf x2 said:
Bait the dragon punch, then do this: cr. jab, cr. fierce punch, EX hurricane, walk forward, jab (to reset them), dash to the other side, cr. fierce punch, EX hurricane, f,d,df+K (x3).

The odds of me managing to do THAT string of inputs reliably is about the same as the odds that Megan Fox shows up at my door in the next 5 minutes looking for casual, almost anonymous sex.

Trust me, if you're facing a flowchart Ken then that means that he's coming to you, which means you've got it easy.

Yeah, I noticed they always keep their distance at the start, then once they get the knockdown close distance quickly... could be an interesting way to bait 'em in the future.

mr_boo

qcf x2 said:
Trust me, if you're facing a flowchart Ken then that means that he's coming to you, which means you've got it easy. The hardest thing to do with Sakura is to manage distance.
Another 2 cents...make sure you finish your combos (at first, keep it simply if necessary)...if you don't there's a hella good change you're gonna be hit by a Fierce Shoryuken.

Crystalkoen said:
The odds of me managing to do THAT string of inputs reliably is about the same as the odds that Megan Fox shows up at my door in the next 5 minutes looking for casual, almost anonymous sex.
Try cutting out the first and last two components of that sequence and go fo: cr. fierce punch, EX hurricane, walk forward, jab (to reset them), dash to the other side, cr. fierce punch, EX hurricane. That might be easier and once you get more comfortable with that...add the other two recommended components back.

Crystalkoen

mr_boo said:
Another 2 cents...make sure you finish your combos (at first, keep it simply if necessary)...if you don't there's a hella good change you're gonna be hit by a Fierce Shoryuken.

Try cutting out the first and last two components of that sequence and go fo: cr. fierce punch, EX hurricane, walk forward, jab (to reset them), dash to the other side, cr. fierce punch, EX hurricane. That might be easier and once you get more comfortable with that...add the other two recommended components back.

Do I need to FA cancel any of that (like the jab > Dash), or does it work fine on its own?

Crystalkoen said:
Do I need to FA cancel any of that (like the jab > Dash), or does it work fine on its own?

Nope, just jab then dash.

If you're practicing, get cr. fp xx ex tatsu down first, once you can do that then put in the jab after the tatsu. Then move on to the other stuff after you've mastered that.

If you really wanna get it down, 30 min. of repetition in training mode will get you set. Next day after you've slept on it, it should be in your muscle memory.

FindMyFarms said:
If you really wanna get it down, 30 min. of repetition in training mode will get you set. Next day after you've slept on it, it should be in your muscle memory.

It's amazing how much coming back to it helps. I couldn't get some of Akuma's BnBs down the first night, but the next day it was like I already had it down.

prodystopian said:
It's amazing how much coming back to it helps. I couldn't get some of Akuma's BnBs down the first night, but the next day it was like I already had it down.

Amen to that.

Also ComiCon TE stick is HOT.

FindMyFarms said:
Careful, sometimes Wong taunts, he might hurt ur feelings.

Wong's Personal Action gives you instant stun from the tears.

BTW, your Ryu still sucks. My Akuma > yours. YJDK about rndm teleports.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
BTW guys, how much punishment can a TE stick take? I am worried I might push the stick too far, or the buttons push them down too much..... really, how much is much?

CPS2

Relix said:
BTW guys, how much punishment can a TE stick take? I am worried I might push the stick too far, or the buttons push them down too much..... really, how much is much?

Not worth worrying about. You can always replace the joystick PCB or the buttons if something goes wrong. Be more careful of the USB cord and case.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
UC1 said:
Not worth worrying about. You can always replace the joystick PCB or the buttons if something goes wrong. Be more careful of the USB cord and case.

Still makes me paranoid I'll kill something in 2 or 3 months :lol

Good games AZ Greg, I'm still not that used to fighting claw, the crossups were tricky man :) Good stuff, hope to play you and other gaffers soon :)

If anyone wants to throwdown and practice on XBL my gamertag is: DrChen

So I took like a month off and picked up the PC version last night. SO MUCH BETTER THAN CONSOLE. Anyways.. I'm starting to use my DOA4 stick instead of my fight pad.. seems better so far and I'm getting used to it already. I just never seem to get better at this game no matter how much I try.. I prefer the rush down style instead of turtles so I've been playing as Cammy. Any other suggestions for rush down characters to check out? I need to start learning to get combos to come out instead of special move noob spam.

jabipun

ChennehCis said:
Good games AZ Greg, I'm still not that used to fighting claw, the crossups were tricky man :) Good stuff, hope to play you and other gaffers soon :)

If anyone wants to throwdown and practice on XBL my gamertag is: DrChen

Where do you live? West coast? East Coast?

MIMIC

Banned
Ugh, I went 2-11 against a decent Ryu/Chun-Li with my Fuerte. Whenever I was sniffing distance of the finishline, he went into beastmode @_@

I kept forgetting the cardinal SF rule: whenever your opponent is on the ropes, 9 times out of 10, he's going to throw you in the next 5 seconds ;_;

MIMIC said:
Ugh, I went 2-11 against a decent Ryu/Chun-Li with my Fuerte. Whenever I was sniffing distance of the finishline, he went into beastmode @_@

I kept forgetting the cardinal SF rule: whenever your opponent is on the ropes, 9 times out of 10, he's going to throw you in the next 5 seconds ;_;

Blockstring into throw..hell yeah.

I've got plenty of messages about my throwing and hadouken antics. Apparently I'm a fcuking pu55y and need to learn how to fight. Or I should go and play Tekken etc.

I love rage messages.

K.Sabot

I had the honors to randomly face off against Kryojenix in Championship mode. He was playing chun-li instead of his Viper. I totally expected to get crushed but actually came really really close to winning.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Level 8 Boss said:
Blockstring into throw..hell yeah.

I've got plenty of messages about my throwing and hadouken antics. Apparently I'm a fcuking pu55y and need to learn how to fight. Or I should go and play Tekken etc.

I love rage messages.

Please also stop blocking, only pussies block. You don't what to be that guy do you?

BitchTits

How long do you actually have to tech throw? I always try and do it anticipating the throw, so there's no throw animation, which is probably why constant tick-throwers piss me off - but can you do it once the throw animation has begun?

Won

Wow, I got full list returned for G1 after a search. All with good pings too! Looks like people caught up.

But all of them somehow lost. No one in round 2. :lol
Back to player matches.

Crystalkoen

Relix said:

Those parts are designed to withstand a shitton of punishment. As the guy above said, just make sure the case and the cord remain in good condition, and you can easily replace any buttons for a few bucks apiece, or the stick for about 10, when they go bad in a few years (assuming you play the game daily for a few hours, otherwise it should last you forever, unless you just beat on them for no reason).

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Crystalkoen said:
Those parts are designed to withstand a shitton of punishment. As the guy above said, just make sure the case and the cord remain in good condition, and you can easily replace any buttons for a few bucks apiece, or the stick for about 10, when they go bad in a few years (assuming you play the game daily for a few hours, otherwise it should last you forever, unless you just beat on them for no reason).

Well that makes me awesomely happy. I will now also play PC games with the stick. I still need to get used to button placement dammit =P

K.Sabot said:
I had the honors to randomly face off against Kryojenix in Championship mode. He was playing chun-li instead of his Viper. I totally expected to get crushed but actually came really really close to winning.

I played Jonathan Lo last night (I added him when he dropped into the thread a while back). I took a couple rounds, but he went 10-0. He started with his Sagat, but when he ran through me he started using a bunch of other characters.

It was a lot of fun.

K.Sabot said:
I ran into him in championship mode so I joined his room but he kicked me. 3 bars for the lose.

Won

Ah, how I missed that.

2uggjtt.png

Guy disconnected on me in G1 first round.....

Don't know why I even bother. Should stick to player matches. :lol

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Relix said:
Well that makes me awesomely happy. I will now also play Third Strike on GGPO with the stick. Makoto FTW!!! I still need to get used to button placement dammit =P

And perhaps now you can stop ignoring my invites, eh? :-(

Top Bottom