• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
LakeEarth said:
I love Guiles that spam sweep. It's always fun to figure out good ways to punish it in between the two hits (for Abel you can super if you're close enough, and EX CoD on reaction).

I always try to dp but it fails a lot online. I think ryu's ultra would work, maybe I'll try that.

LakeEarth said:
I love Guiles that spam sweep. It's always fun to figure out good ways to punish it in between the two hits (for Abel you can super if you're close enough, and EX CoD on reaction).
block first then fa. free hit and even someone slower like me can do it cause the second kick is so slow.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
LakeEarth said:

lk Wheel kick in between is my favorite punishment for Guiles Sweep.

GamerSoul

Timedog said:
block a lot. don't do link combos. learn to punish their dp's after you block.

ken's ldp's have a very fast recovery time, so if you don't punish IMMEDIATELY, he'll dp again and hit you if you're not blocking.

Not picking fei long will make things less frustrating as well ;)

I'm kinda getting fustrated too. (i'm kinda new to it too it) Is Sakura just a hard character to pwn with or am I just sucking lately? :lol srsly

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Cromulent_Word said:
block first then fa. free hit and even someone slower like me can do it cause the second kick is so slow.

A good guile will just sweep again if it's not a level 2 FA and knock you down. His sweep recovers quick and he can hit you again before you recover from the FA. The timing for getting a level 2 FA and releasing it before the 2nd part of the sweep hits you is hard. I think it's a few frames.

This is with Ryu at least. If some characters focus attacks charge quicker than this is a non point.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Yeah, if you're finding Sakura frustrating, you definitely don't want to try Viper. You'll spend at least a few weeks getting your ass kicked when you first start using her.

SmokeMaxX

bob_arctor said:
Haha so damn true. I've had instances where Akumas are so wired to throw an air fireball no matter what that I've simply walked towards them with total disregard and with Gen it's even better since he's so fast, especially in KKK mode. Looks funny as hell and probably terrifying for the super obvious Akuma.

I always thought Gen was a racist.

SmokeMaxX

LakeEarth said:

I think I remember reading that Guile can Ex-FADC out of his sweep.

MIMIC

Banned
I have my PPP and KKK mapped to single buttons. Sometimes, when I go for an EX move by pressing the button (the PPP in particular), it doesn't register and instead, a regular move comes out (and yes, I have some EX meter). It really pisses me off and often times, it's at really critical during in a match.

Is there something wrong with my controller or is this a bug? I've noticed that it happens if you press the PPP button right after you've pressed another button. But in my case, it happens sometimes when I've ONLY just done the directional input + PPP

Arde5643

Sigh le sigh, it seems the right directional input on my fightpad is becoming kinda iffy now. It doesn't register 20-30% of the time, which is causing me pains on online matches (backdash? DP input? what's that?).

Looks like I just gotta bite the bullet and start leveling up my stick play. :/

Arde5643 said:
Sigh le sigh, it seems the right directional input on my fightpad is becoming kinda iffy now. It doesn't register 20-30% of the time, which is causing me pains on online matches (backdash? DP input? what's that?).

Looks like I just gotta bite the bullet and start leveling up my stick play. :/
When my other fightpad started to go out.. i bought another like the same day.. I started to freak out ;p

I need to get use to stick though.

Arde5643

TurtleSnatcher said:
When my other fightpad started to go out.. i bought another like the same day.. I started to freak out ;p

I need to get use to stick though.
I have two sticks - an HRAP I bought from a friend and a newly mint unopened TE stick.

Might as well start using one of em now that my fightpad is getting worse. :lol

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
My fightpad works sometimes and sometimes it'll freak out. Sometimes it'll be impossible to dash, my guy just keeps stuttering and inching forward. Sometimes I'll hold down and i'll start crouching up and down really fast. Sometimes I'll press forward or backward once and I'll get a dash, this sucks when i'm trying to do a fireball or specific move to punish someone. Downback and downforward don't register sometimes. I go into training mode, turn on inputs, and do special moves, and unless I do it slow, sometimes certain directions won't register and it'll fuck me up despite I'M ROLLING MY FUCKING FINGER FROM DOWN TO FORWARD ALL THE WAY ALONG THE EDGE OF THE FUCKING DPAD THERE'S NO FUCKING WAY I'M MISSING THESE FIREBALLS. QUIT STARING UP AT ME FROM THE CONTROLLER WITH THAT GRIN ON YOUR FACE KEN.

Fuck madcatz. I might still get a TE stick only cause there's nothing else on 360 :( (and it's moddable).

No45

Can anyone confirm that the VSHG is fully compatible with PC? I'm thinking I might pick up the Steam version of this when I build my PC later in the year, but don't want to buy another stick.

V_Arnold

Alrighty, it is about time I say hello here : )

I have been lurking here with my unactivated account for quite some time now, and since the February release, I have put 400+ hours and 4k+ online matches into this game. Frankly, I love it, I never felt the chance to be good and be at a competitive level in a fighting game before (okay, maybe in Soul Calibur IV, but at that game, it was really hard to just randomly bump into good players online). I am still a beginner of course, and have a long way to go before I will be considered "good", I know.

I main Viper since the beginning, and my first month looked like everyone was trashing me to 10-1 or 10-0, and it really felt like I have a lot, a lot to learn. Now I can stand up on my own, and winning ratio is starting to get above 50% - so the hard work payed off a bit : )

So: if anyone in Europe (i usually have 5 bars against Germany players, 4 against France/UK with really no slowdown present) wants to play against a C.Viper (I play occasionally Rose, Ryu, Akuma, Sakura and Chun Li too), practice, spar or just test the skills, feel free to add me.
XBL gamertag is Oldern.

Oh, and a few months ago, I have had the honor of playing MicVlad, and he showed me a Demonic Dhalsim - it was awesome.

GrayFoxPL

GamerSoul said:
Atleast i know it's not all me now. I can do decent with her but when I lose....I lose. heh, i still like using her though. I think I might try Viper or something if I can take the losses anymore

Sakura's biggest drawback is the laughable hp. She's fun to use and you could dominate 90% of the round but one mistake and your health is gone. I mean you could even see that in Sabre's godly Sakura at evo.

Actually the previous disscusion on who's better Dan or Sakura isn't so obvious to me. Dan has lesser combo ability, but due to larger hp/stamina he can live longer. That's a big factor.
You'll see a Dan tournament winner someday, you'll see. :D

DR2K

Banned
GrayFoxPL said:
Sakura's biggest drawback is the laughable hp. She's fun to use and you could dominate 90% of the round but one mistake and your health is gone. I mean you could even see that in Sabre's godly Sakura at evo.

Actually the previous disscusion on who's better Dan or Sakura isn't so obvious to me. Dan has lesser combo ability, but due to larger hp/stamina he can live longer. That's a big factor.
You'll see a Dan tournament winner someday, you'll see. :D

Sakura has 1000 health(average health), well above Chun, Viper, Akuma, Sim, and Seth, etc. . .

V_Arnold

DR2K said:
Sakura has 1000 health(average health), well above Chun, Viper, Akuma, Sim, and Seth, etc. . .

And not just that, but Sakura has tools to keep enemies in the distance (like a projectile which actually travels trough the screen, unlike Dan's), and with her speed, it makes her well above Dan. Sure, she has some tough matchups, but with the exception of Sagat, who does not?

ArjanN

McBradders said:
Yeah, I'm fairly certain it was proven to be sub-1k.

Sakura has 950 stamina. Just like Cammy and Rose.

V_Arnold said:
And not just that, but Sakura has tools to keep enemies in the distance (like a projectile which actually travels trough the screen, unlike Dan's), and with her speed, it makes her well above Dan. Sure, she has some tough matchups, but with the exception of Sagat, who does not?

Her moves don't do all that much damage, and her special moves are really punishable.

Also her 950 stamina means you start every match against a 1000 stamina character with a 5% health handicap.

Dan still seems better to me.

Won

Yeah, health isn't Sakura's problem. Moves being worthless without meter is her problem. But with meter....damn. Oh yeah and her Ultra sucks pretty hard too!

No45 said:
Can anyone confirm that the VSHG is fully compatible with PC? I'm thinking I might pick up the Steam version of this when I build my PC later in the year, but don't want to buy another stick.
VSHG works fine with the PC version

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Won said:
Yeah, health isn't Sakura's problem. Moves being worthless without meter is her problem. But with meter....damn. Oh yeah and her Ultra sucks pretty hard too!

Her roundhouse sweep is also fucking garbage.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
sakura has some good tools...cr fp is a really good aa..her jumping rh has a very werid hitbox and will trade or flat out beat alot of moves, even some that 'look' like it shouldn't..she has a really quick overhead and some good pokes (cr fk, st rh)..special wise the recovery on her short shunpukyaku is very quick..her fireball is weaksauce but her DP is great for punishing baited sweeps and fairly easy to combo into..she also has one of the best FA's in the game..and her ultra is actualy not that hard to land..the problem most people have when playing sakura is that they try to play her like a regular shoto..her DP is a very unreliable AA that will whiff half the time..and her fireball is nowhere near good enough to zone with..instead its better to poke and bait from sweep. distance.use cr fp exclusively as an AA..throw often and remember you arent playing ryu

How is the PC version for online action? My pc makes the old benchmark demo look amazing and I was given a Logitek controller for the pc which has a lovely dpad (own 360 pads for 360 and pc already) so it seems it's worth me buying it for pc then for cheap on 360 now.

Can someone remind me if the pc version uses windows live or not?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
V_Arnold said:
So: if anyone in Europe (i usually have 5 bars against Germany players, 4 against France/UK with really no slowdown present) wants to play against a C.Viper (I play occasionally Rose, Ryu, Akuma, Sakura and Chun Li too), practice, spar or just test the skills, feel free to add me.
XBL gamertag is Oldern.

I'll add you, I play from NL and have a quick connection. Always looking for Europlayers.

Add me as well, that way one of us won't forget.

armedcatfish

I play bison only (although I got to 9k Gp using blanka)

My bison is kind of scrubby as I made the switch to him after about 180hours of blanka play. always keen to try some other players out in player match as well.

Won said:
yah her ultra is tough - even sabre whiffed it off the ex tatsu during the 5 on 5s.

supposedly Sanford has an phenomenal Dan...

ArjanN

Diablohead said:
How is the PC version for online action? My pc makes the old benchmark demo look amazing and I was given a Logitek controller for the pc which has a lovely dpad (own 360 pads for 360 and pc already) so it seems it's worth me buying it for pc then for cheap on 360 now.

Can someone remind me if the pc version uses windows live or not?

Seem to be plenty of people playing (might depend on where you live) it's usually faster to host your own matches though.

And yes it uses Games For Windows Live. Which works fine.

ArjanN said:
Seem to be plenty of people playing (might depend on where you live) it's usually faster to host your own matches though.

And yes it uses Games For Windows Live. Which works fine.
Excellent, when PC versions carry live achievements I like to buy it over the console version. Still £17.99 on amazon so I will grab it when I can spare the money.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
You can get it for 12 quid if you purchase a CD-key from G2Play or somewhere like that, and then you just need to borrow a copy of the game, you'll need a no-cd to play online, but it works flawlessly.

So tempted to order a TE stick from Amazon, they've got them for £99.99, I'm terribly at the game but having a good stick would be nice, and for any future arcade titles on the PC.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Sorry, I meant Amazon.co.uk, I have a US keyboard and FireFox doesn't seem to accept entering it using ALT+156

daegan

Cromulent_Word said:
yah her ultra is tough - even sabre whiffed it off the ex tatsu during the 5 on 5s.

supposedly Sanford has an phenomenal Dan...

ex tatsu > ultra is really hard to time. I still love the range on her FA and her f.HK. Where'd that kid go that's just learning her?! BRO! f.HK IS YOUR BEST FRIEND!!

Crystalkoen

daegan said:
ex tatsu > ultra is really hard to time. I still love the range on her FA and her f.HK. Where'd that kid go that's just learning her?! BRO! f.HK IS YOUR BEST FRIEND!!

I also find her jump/crouch MK to be very useful. Comes out quick and can combo pretty well, although the range is a little short, and the damage on its own isn't the greatest... like just about everything else she has.

I'm now having a different problem than I was the other night: Charge characters. Every one I've fought has been ultra defensive (to be expected). Boxer hasn't been too hard, really, but Blanka and Dictator have been kicking my ass nonstop =/

Finally encountered an Abel player last night... that wasn't fun. I literally couldn't do a damned thing. Block? Command throw. Try to jump to avoid something? Wheel Kick or anti-air throw. Try to mix up the high/low? Three part special that's 2 hits + throw at the end. Ugh.

On the plus side, my Madcatz pad SHOULD arrive today, so I can stop using the shitbag 360 Analog to play the game. No more EX Tatsu instead of Ultras, costing me a round!

_dementia said:
if you dash in it becomes easier

i noticed Sabre didn't really go for Ultra after the EX Tastu in the evo stream, i guess because it does so little damage?
he did in his earlier match... the one before valle... and whiffed it

GamerSoul

I read the comments abou Sakura and thanks for the info. Yeah, I usually go online and then see what I was doing wrong in practice. A combo I like to do is her EX Shun PuuKyaku>Sakura Otoshi. I just have to set it up right.

GrayFoxPL said:

True, I usually face Kens online and it doesn't matter how many times I block a Shouken, I WILL get hit with that shit somehow how some way.

daegan said:

f.hk, alrite. lol Anything that helps is good.

V_Arnold said:
Sure, she has some tough matchups, but with the exception of Sagat, who does not?

Yesterday, I was facing a Balrog....I think the guys reach is like comparable to Sakura's height. It was a like corner slaughtering. :lol Not a good matchup.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Crystalkoen said:
I also find her jump/crouch MK to be very useful. Comes out quick and can combo pretty well, although the range is a little short, and the damage on its own isn't the greatest... like just about everything else she has.

I'm now having a different problem than I was the other night: Charge characters. Every one I've fought has been ultra defensive (to be expected). Boxer hasn't been too hard, really, but Blanka and Dictator have been kicking my ass nonstop =/

Finally encountered an Abel player last night... that wasn't fun. I literally couldn't do a damned thing. Block? Command throw. Try to jump to avoid something? Wheel Kick or anti-air throw. Try to mix up the high/low? Three part special that's 2 hits + throw at the end. Ugh.

On the plus side, my Madcatz pad SHOULD arrive today, so I can stop using the shitbag 360 Analog to play the game. No more EX Tatsu instead of Ultras, costing me a round!

Good Abels are a nightmare. I had one that only let me hit the ground twice. Jerk :(

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
McBradders said:
Good Abels are a nightmare. I had one that only let me hit the ground twice. Jerk :(

I HATE the crossup kick, roll back otherside, launch air grab that some dude did repeatedly to me.

I'm such a sucker for his launcher, which reallly burns when he' got ultra stocked.

Top Bottom