• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

jibblypop

Banned
jibblypop said:
I'd like some advice though. I use Blanka (seems to be a good choice for beginners) and I can do every move in the game pretty much no problem except for Blanka's ultra. 4 out of every 5 times he just ducks down instead of doing it. I never had this problem in Street Fighter 2 HD even with the standard 360 pad.

So my question is would buying the madcatz pad help me at all (I suck with arcade sticks) to do this move more consistently? OR is there something about the way this game is programmed that is making me do that ducking move all the time even though I could do his super move without fail in HD remix?

I'm just quoting this for one last time in the off chance that anyone knows the answer.. I'm just weary of spending the extra money on that pad if the real problem is my ability to adapt to some new input system in the game.

jibblypop said:
I'm just quoting this for one last time in the off chance that anyone knows the answer.. I'm just weary of spending the extra money on that pad if the real problem is my ability to adapt to some new input system in the game.

Try doing the last input of the Ultra as Up/forward and try slowing doing your motion, it's really weird how slowly you can do an Ultra input.

If that doesn't work for you then yeah, maybe you should get the MD pad, it's a very good pad for people that can't/won't buy a stick.

qcf x2

Crystalkoen said:
I'm now having a different problem than I was the other night: Charge characters. Every one I've fought has been ultra defensive (to be expected). Boxer hasn't been too hard, really, but Blanka and Dictator have been kicking my ass nonstop =/

Finally encountered an Abel player last night... that wasn't fun. I literally couldn't do a damned thing. Block? Command throw. Try to jump to avoid something? Wheel Kick or anti-air throw. Try to mix up the high/low? Three part special that's 2 hits + throw at the end. Ugh.

Charge characters are fun to fight against since Sakura has the overhead f+MK. No crouch charge = oh shit what do I do. Blanka can be punched out of his rolls, EX srk after block teaches him never to do the slide punch, cr.FP & focus attack dash neuters his jump in game, and you can probably fierce SRK him after a blocked roll, every time. You probably won't get your combos in on a decent blanka until you bait their ultra, but winning with fundamentals is important, too.

I don't see a problem with Sakura's health. She has bigger issues than that. Viper feels like she dies too fast, Sakura not so much.

Vs Abel if you block the first two hits of his punch-punch-throw move, you can EX anything to interrupt his throw, or you can super, or you can ultra. Neutral jumping in close fucks up a lot of Abel players.

Standing HK is cool, but it ain't Chun Li caliber. The range on it disappoints me. Her low MK is useful because it combos off of 3 jabs (standing or crouching) which you can then hit confirm into whatever you want.

You'll see a Dan tournament winner someday, you'll see.

Uhh, negative. Will not happen. Unless it's a tournament between buddies in a town with a population of 35. I beat Ryu's on XBL with Dan practically every day. But put him against someone who actually knows what Dan's moves do and he's toast.

I'd like some advice though. I use Blanka (seems to be a good choice for beginners) and I can do every move in the game pretty much no problem except for Blanka's ultra. 4 out of every 5 times he just ducks down instead of doing it

Are you using the analog sticks? If so, that's the problem. If not, you have to realize that you're hitting down before you hit the 3P. Go into Training Mode, turn on Show Inputs and practice until you get EXACTLY this: <--- (delay), -->, <--, --> + P/P/P

Practice makes perfect.

Leunam

_dementia said:
lol no shit
I'd just like to be able do that to XBL kids

I use cr.FP xx lk. Roll xx FP xx lk. Roll, FP Tornado Throw. Most people online don't know how to get out of it before the throw. I don't use it very often since I'll go for other combos if I have meter, although I did pull off j.MK > cr.MP xx MP CoD xx EX FADC > cr.FP xx lk. Roll xx FP xx lk. Roll, FP Tornado Throw. A true demoralizer (and stunner to boot).

catfish said:
I HATE the crossup kick, roll back otherside, launch air grab that some dude did repeatedly to me.

Grab him during the roll.

Hey everyone, I main Cammy and I really need some help learning her. In all the videos I see everyone does canon strikes when they're barely off the ground, the move list says you need to be jumping forward to do them. No matter how quick I try to do them on my stick after jumping forward I can't do them until Cammy is already high in the air towards the enemy which leads me into being punished or just ruins of the surprise of what I'm gonna do.. Is there some trick to doing them from or when barely off the ground? I've down doing the down to away motion+ kick as soon as pressing jump forward but no matter how much I try it isn't quick enough. -_-

Won

DarkAngelYuna said:
Hey everyone, I main Cammy and I really need some help learning her. In all the videos I see everyone does canon strikes when they're barely off the ground, the move list says you need to be jumping forward to do them. No matter how quick I try to do them on my stick after jumping forward I can't do them until Cammy is already high in the air towards the enemy which leads me into being punished or just ruins of the surprise of what I'm gonna do.. Is there some trick to doing them from or when barely off the ground? I've down doing the down to away motion+ kick as soon as pressing jump forward but no matter how much I try it isn't quick enough. -_-

You do the QCB motion BEFORE you jump and after you jump you just press kick. But you need to be fast with it.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
My SF4 skills are going to shit thanks to the stick. Damn! =( I need more intense matches and remember the button placements dammit.

BitchTits

DarkAngelYuna said:
You do the motion on the ground, ending with b/u, as you leave the ground hit kick. So it's QCB/u, Cammy leaves the ground, hit kick. Basically you do the movement, but delay hitting kick by a split second.

This is the same kind of thing as Dhalsim's instant air teleport and Rufus' dive kick.

It's QCB then up/forward. Has to be up/forward (press the diagonal that's up and forward at the same time.)

edit - Saqs, you ever get your match w/ magus up?

BitchTits

FindMyFarms said:
It's QCB then up/forward. Has to be up/forward (press the diagonal that's up and forward at the same time.)
D'oh! Yep of course, it's only for jumping forward.

Sometimes I can into a rhythm with these type of moves and can do it repeatedly, and other times I completely flub them after the first one. Especially with Rufus.

jibblypop

Banned
qcf x2 said:
Are you using the analog sticks? If so, that's the problem. If not, you have to realize that you're hitting down before you hit the 3P. Go into Training Mode, turn on Show Inputs and practice until you get EXACTLY this: <--- (delay), -->, <--, --> + P/P/P

Practice makes perfect.

It's funny you mention analog sticks. I have always used the d-pad for months and I can hit the ultra like 1 out of 10 times. This week I tried the analog stick and now I can hit it about 1 in every 5 times. Better but still not nearly good enough.
I know practice makes perfect but I've been playing this game since it released so at some point I have to wonder if the controller is holding me back. I am positive I am hitting back and then forward but the input screen is saying I am hitting down. I am clearly not hitting down so I guess the control must just be detecting down when I hit forward.

Someone suggested over-compensating by hitting up-forward so I guess I'll try that.

Thanks to both of you for the tips.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Relix said:
My SF4 skills are going to shit thanks to the stick. Damn! =( I need more intense matches and remember the button placements dammit.

Just keep at it. It will probably be about a month or so of consistent use to really grow accustomed. Best thing I ever did was switch to stick with Tekken 2 and I never looked back. Only time I use a pad is whenever I play fighters on my Saturn since I never found a good stick for that system.

Also we gotta hook up for some matches. Friday my wife and kids are going away for the weekend so I'm gonna play online for sure. Hopefully timedog can find it in his busy schedule to own me with his masterful Ryu as well.

Edit: forgot KoF might drop tomorrow in which case that's all I'll be playing for the forseeable future. As long as netcode ain't broken. *fingers crossed*

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Yo Haunts, I like that man. Big ups for your ever slightly overpowered Sagat! ;P
jk <3
You just don't know, Watts.

Won said:
You do the QCB motion BEFORE you jump and after you jump you just press kick. But you need to be fast with it.
Wtf, that makes so little sense in my head I'd never have thought of that.. but it explains why I randomly do it when I get pissed off and beat my stick. :lol Thank you everyone to replied to this.. off to practice.

_dementia said:
lol no shit
I'd just like to be able do that to XBL kids

For what it's worth my Abel's pretty terrible, but I can still pull off his reset shenanigans pretty easily on the live populace. However I'm having huge difficulties with turtling Guile's, all I seem to be able to do is space myself right, jump in after a boom, hope he goes for a jump in himself hit him with a fierce (empty if he doesn't jump, assuming he'll aa punch and miss so I can tornado) and then predict how he's going to react when I rush him on the reset. Am I missing anything really obvious? On the same note any strats that work well with Chun Li would also be really appreciated.

Crystalkoen

jibblypop said:
It's funny you mention analog sticks. I have always used the d-pad for months and I can hit the ultra like 1 out of 10 times. This week I tried the analog stick and now I can hit it about 1 in every 5 times. Better but still not nearly good enough.
I know practice makes perfect but I've been playing this game since it released so at some point I have to wonder if the controller is holding me back. I am positive I am hitting back and then forward but the input screen is saying I am hitting down. I am clearly not hitting down so I guess the control must just be detecting down when I hit forward.

Someone suggested over-compensating by hitting up-forward so I guess I'll try that.

Thanks to both of you for the tips.

That's actually one thing that I've been having issues with. Using the 360 Analog is FAR better than the 360 D-pad, but it's still inferior to even a proper gamepad, and far inferior to an arcade stick. I've lost matches left and right due to failed inputs (double motions for ultras, thinking I'm holding down/back to block low when it's only registering down, etc.) 40 bucks on one of the Madcatz pads, if you can afford that (at all) but not a HORI stick, is worth it.

LosDaddie

Banned
Ya know, just when I think I'm (albeit, slightly) improving in SFIV (PS3 version), it never fucking fails that some guy will completely dominate me with Balrog :lol

I was doing pretty good last night winning about 6 out of 10 matches (yes, that's good for me), beating Kens / Guiles / Sagats / Goukens and then this fucking Balrog comes in and dominates my shit.

Ikuu said:
You can get it for 12 quid if you purchase a CD-key from G2Play or somewhere like that, and then you just need to borrow a copy of the game, you'll need a no-cd to play online, but it works flawlessly.
Great price but I would prefer to pay £5 more to own the dvd and box for reinstalls down the road. Wish dinopc would hurry up with my replacement psu part in the post.

LosDaddie said:
Ya know, just when I think I'm (albeit, slightly) improving in SFIV (PS3 version), it never fucking fails that some guy will completely dominate me with Balrog :lol

I was doing pretty good last night winning about 6 out of 10 matches (yes, that's good for me), beating Kens / Guiles / Sagats / Goukens and then this fucking Balrog comes in and dominates my shit.
FA his low roundhouse, and if he does naked rush punches, you can throw him before he hits you.

lol I get my shit pushed in by good Balrogs though.

Arde5643

LosDaddie said:

Who are you using?

It really depends on the character you're using where you should zone out Boxer.

General rule though, you always want to be at least outside his s.RH and you want to bait boxer without charge to do cr.RH and FA him with that.
Other than that, depending on the character you're playing (whether or not they have solid footsies), you can either hang with him in cr.RH distance or stay within his jab dash punch distance.
Chun Li, for instance can go toe to toe with Boxer in pretty close distance provided she sets it up with fireball first. Her hazan shou, s.HP, and cr.HK are really good pokes after the fireball setup to zone out Boxer.

I main Fuerte and Fuerte has one of the crappiest normals in the game, so I always have to stay at least within jab dash punch distance. Closer than that and I'm Boxer's pringles.

LosDaddie

Banned
Arde5643 said:
Who are you using?

It really depends on the character you're using where you should zone out Boxer.

General rule though, you always want to be at least outside his s.RH and you want to bait boxer without charge to do cr.RH and FA him with that.
Other than that, depending on the character you're playing (whether or not they have solid footsies), you can either hang with him in cr.RH distance or stay within his jab dash punch distance.
Chun Li, for instance can go toe to toe with Boxer in pretty close distance provided she sets it up with fireball first. Her hazan shou, s.HP, and cr.HK are really good pokes after the fireball setup to zone out Boxer.

I main Fuerte and Fuerte has one of the crappiest normals in the game, so I always have to stay at least within jab dash punch distance. Closer than that and I'm Boxer's pringles.

Akuma is my main fighter, but I also use Sagat, Seth, Guile, Blanka and Bison. I think I'm going to try Gouken soon.

Anyway, thanks for the tips. I'll try to remember them for next time. But to be honest, I think I get dominated by Balrogs for 2 reasons:

• I'm OK, at best, at SFIV...probably nowhere near GAF's level of play
  • People using Balrog really know how to use him

GamerSoul

Crystalkoen said:
That's actually one thing that I've been having issues with. Using the 360 Analog is FAR better than the 360 D-pad, but it's still inferior to even a proper gamepad, and far inferior to an arcade stick. I've lost matches left and right due to failed inputs (double motions for ultras, thinking I'm holding down/back to block low when it's only registering down, etc.) 40 bucks on one of the Madcatz pads, if you can afford that (at all) but not a HORI stick, is worth it.

I think i'm hacing the same problem, Especially with Cross ups that end with sweeps. I se it coming but I guess I have to see it at the start of the Jump
I already started to rip one my controller's analog's grip. Have done that since playing Melee for hour on end.

Saige

I must do better.
Relix said:

I know how you feel, I’m in the process of trying to adjust to the TE stick I bought after months of using the ps3 pad

My main is Guile and although I am well aware that I’m scrubby I could at least maintain a 70% win/loss rating against other scrubs but I now play like I did back in HD Remix which was my first real attempt at a street fighter game.

I know in the long run the stick will improve my skill at the game but it’s so damn tempting to just pick up the pad when I’m having trouble doing even basic stuff like blocking or jumping in.

khayri1

Neo Member
Damn, finally have the ability to post.

I have SF IV on both systems hit me up if u guys want to play

PSN: khayri
XBL: Made Capo

Jenga

Banned
Right, so does anyone have tips for a pad Abel player?

I'm so frustrated losing to the same flowchart shotos a million damn times. I somehow keep putting Fall From Sky instead of Ultra, which usually results in a lost match.

If anyone would be willing to play me and give me advice I would love you forever

GFW ID: Jenga212

Currently I'm working on BnB combos I snagged from SRK, but the lag in the analog input frequently results in just punishment.

khayri1 said:
Damn, finally have the ability to post.

I have SF IV on both systems hit me up if u guys want to play

PSN: khayri
XBL: Made Capo

I feel your pain mang. Shit took me 4 months to get activated! The wait is worth it though. :D

Jenga

Banned
Leunam said:
Jenga, I'll be on tonight. I'll give you some tips to the best of my ability. My ID is Leunam23.
Cool, but I might be out doing something tonight. Just add me and we'll get something together later.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
LosDaddie said:
Akuma is my main fighter, but I also use Sagat, Seth, Guile, Blanka and Bison. I think I'm going to try Gouken soon.

Anyway, thanks for the tips. I'll try to remember them for next time. But to be honest, I think I get dominated by Balrogs for 2 reasons:

• I'm OK, at best, at SFIV...probably nowhere near GAF's level of play
  • People using Balrog really know how to use him

If you need some practice against a Balrog, hit me up if you're on 360.

Gamertag: Twin Twi5t

Akuma vs Balrog is a tough one as he's a pretty effective as an anti-shoto. I really don't have any advice other than make every hit count. Make sure you're getting the combos in as you well know Balrog can smack Akuma for six with just a couple of hits. It's probably best to try and bait him to headbutt through a fireball and get him when he lands. Throw out a few fire-fireballs in a mix of regulars when he has EX as he'll eventually try and EX through them if there's a pattern (something I'm incredibly guilty of).

Also teleport is your friend, especially if he's coming in from half+ screen away with a regular or EX dashpunch. If he's without EX you can definitely out-zone him with fireballs.

EDIT: Shit, you're on PS3. Sorry man, hope my shitty advice is worth something :(

Crystalkoen

So finally got my fight pad... and having issues like someone above mentioned. Down/left doesn't want to register unless I put the Might of Thor behind it >.>

If anyone feels like going a few rounds with a player possessing at least a modicum of skill, feel free to hit me up on XBL tonight, Crysko. I'm on right now.

EDIT: I grow tired of these "Unable to play" people.

EDIT2: zOMG! First Rage message! "blow me shitdick" from Guesskoenig. Guess he didn't like getting his Cammy stuffed hardcore by my Sakura >.>

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I think i'm gonna have to slow down on playing this for awhile. The fightpad is just terrible now and it's frustrating me like nothing else. G1 definitely has better players than G2 from what I've seen.

Need work on SFIV. I've been fucking playing to much. Trying to do new combos and it does not work online. Trying to play with players I never play with online. Messing up my record.

Arde5643

Timedog said:
I think i'm gonna have to slow down on playing this for awhile. The fightpad is just terrible now and it's frustrating me like nothing else. G1 definitely has better players than G2 from what I've seen.
Get some fight money and get the TE stick, dawg.

You're going to be playing fighting games for quite a while anyway, might as well invest in a reliable controller.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
okay, yeah, this madcatz fightpad bullshit is probably the worst piece of shit I've ever bought. what a turd company and what a turd product.

I'm sure the CEO jacked off all over his birthday cake when he figured out how to scam a bunch of people with a WAYYYYY overpriced controller with the shittiest components imaginable. If I ever met the guy I'd give him a Degeneration X Xpac jumping splits crotch X send off and tell him to FADC my big bazooka.

Crystalkoen

Timedog said:
okay, yeah, this madcatz fightpad bullshit is probably the worst piece of shit I've ever bought. what a turd company and what a turd product.

I'm sure the CEO jacked off all over his birthday cake when he figured out how to scam a bunch of people with a WAYYYYY overpriced controller with the shittiest components imaginable. If I ever met the guy I'd give him a Degeneration X Xpac jumping splits crotch X send off and tell him to FADC my big bazooka.

Kinda funny, really, that the PS2 Madcatz pads were actually pretty damned good for SF3 yet these ones are so terrible for SF4 >.>

Timedog said:

u mad

Crystalkoen said:
Kinda funny, really, that the PS2 Madcatz pads were actually pretty damned good for SF3 yet these ones are so terrible for SF4 >.>
You mean Nubytech? Those were horrible!

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
_dementia said:
u mad

You mean Nubytech? Those were horrible!

no u

Also, how the fuck are you supposed to go from walking forward into a fireball with the easy inputs?

I put inputs on in training mode and the input detector shows fwd, dwn, dwn-fwd, fwd + punch -- YET I GET A DRAGON PUNCH. I did neither the shortcut input for SRK nor the regular input for SRK, YET I GET A DRAGON PUNCH. How does this make any god damn sense. I'm about to lose my cool, Ted!

Arde5643

Timedog said:
no u

Also, how the fuck are you supposed to go from walking forward into a fireball with the easy inputs?

I put inputs on in training mode and the input detector shows fwd, dwn, dwn-fwd, fwd + punch -- YET I GET A DRAGON PUNCH. I did neither the shortcut input for SRK nor the regular input for SRK, YET I GET A DRAGON PUNCH. How does this make any god damn sense. I'm about to lose my cool, Ted!
Blame Ono for fucking up with the shortcut inputs and automatic switch on reversals. bah to these two "features" in SF4.

Top Bottom