• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Crystalkoen

Rice-Eater said:
I use a DS3 on my PS3. The four face buttons are lows and mediums. The two shoulder buttons to the right are 3P/3K. On the left I have Focus Attack on L1 and L2 can be whatever, I don't use it either way. Basically I need the buttons assigned that way because it's not easy to press 2 buttons for EX moves and extremely difficult to press 3 for Ultras. Using the left shoulder buttons are also not a option, it's too awkward to try and do a motion with my left thumb and time the button press with my index finger. I can do it, but not with enough consistency.

But yeah, I'm going to try and put in more stick time again. It's so frustrating for me so I can never commit to it, but I'll try to keep it up and hopefully show some improvement.

If you keep playing on the pad, something you might want to try is NOT mapping L1/L2 to what you have, but instead making THOSE your light hits. It's pretty rare that you do specials using light hits (unless it's just to get them out fast to beat something else), and I cannot imagine it being hard to press 2 buttons on the face by laying your thumb flat across them for a Focus Attack ('course, throws can be a different story if both lights are on a/the shoulders, but at least there's no motion involved on the D-pad there). That way, you can use your PPP/KKK buttons for doing EX attacks + Ultras (game doesn't care that you pressed a third button for the EX), and have all the other buttons covered.

EDIT: You do have to unlock all the characters on the PC version, but I know some people have been passing around their own saves of most/all of the characters unlocked, you just drop it in place of your own save, change all your stuff (Name and the like) back to your own information/preferences, and you're golden.

ArjanN

Rufus said:
Fight requests are even faster. It's the only way I 'look' for matches now. The thing with hosting is that you have to specifiy a language (Seriously, who thought that was a good idea?!), while you get fight requests from anywhere. Naturally, it it will take longer the farther you advance in a tournament and sometimes you will have the same guy try to join, despite the shitty connection (especially in the finals), but it's still better than waiting in the lobby, twirling your thumbs.

I guess if you're in the US, hosting is fine, since you get plenty of competition if you set the language to English. For Europeans though, it's useless...

The language setting is just a preference, you can still play with anyone.
And I don't always feel like fighting the CPU in the mean time. Most of the time I get matches in under 30 seconds anyway.

jibblypop

Banned
After the advice in here I've decided to take the plunge on the MadCatz SF4 pad. The thing that decided it for me is that even if it doesn't solve my problem of doing Blanka's ultra, it is still worth buying because a better d-pad will help in any fighting game. I play Blazblue and King of Fighters is coming soon as well so it definitely won't hurt.
Hopefully the store near me carries these things.
thanks for the tips guys.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Pad and stick... I am still torn byt his argument. I am just barely getting used to my TE, but I remember absolutely destroying with the pad. Last SF4 match I had against eva01 I tried using the pad but then failed miserably because I was getting used to something else. It was sad.

Pad>stick so far more me....

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
jibblypop said:
After the advice in here I've decided to take the plunge on the MadCatz SF4 pad. The thing that decided it for me is that even if it doesn't solve my problem of doing Blanka's ultra, it is still worth buying because a better d-pad will help in any fighting game. I play Blazblue and King of Fighters is coming soon as well so it definitely won't hurt.
Hopefully the store near me carries these things.
thanks for the tips guys.

Good luck, hopefully you don't buy a lemon. These things have a variety of issues. My USB receiver on the PS3 wouldn't sync with my controller, had to wait a week for Madcatz to send me a replacement USB receiver. I ended up buying a Saturn USB pad from eBay as a backup pad.

Apparently eople like pad on Tekken because character mobility and spacing is so much easier. At least that's what my Tekken fan friend tells me.

I guess the same would apply to SC, especially with 8 way run. Both games are also 4-buttons too.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Does anyone use a Saturn pad on PC? I plugged it in and gave it a quick go yesterday, but I can't figure out how to customize it properly. tx

TheExodu5

Banned
AstroLad said:
Does anyone use a Saturn pad on PC? I plugged it in and gave it a quick go yesterday, but I can't figure out how to customize it properly. tx

Can't check the precise configuration, since I'm at work, but just look up the MadCatz 360 Fightpad, and map your buttons to whatever is on the fightpad.

Roughly, if I recall correctly:

A -> A
B -> B
C -> RT

X -> X
Y -> Y
Z -> RB

AstroLad said:
I think there is a separate controller setup in the start menu -> programs.
X - Light Punch
Y - Medium Punch
Z - Hard Punch
A - Light Kick
B - Medium Kick
C - Hard Kick

You can use L/R for 3P/3K

unreon

I am having some real trouble as Abel fighting Bisons. Every single one of his moves are astoundingly safe!

Scissors Kick - 90% safe
Headstomp - very safe
purple hands after headstomp - crazy priority
teleport - safe

I dunno, I'm really starting to get frustrated when someone just throws out moves that come out so fast and are so safe on block. I don't know what to do :(

unreon said:
I am having some real trouble as Abel fighting Bisons. Every single one of his moves are astoundingly safe!

Scissors Kick - 90% safe
Headstomp - very safe
teleport - safe

I dunno, I'm really starting to get frustrated when someone just throws out moves that come out so fast and are so safe on block. I don't know what to do :(

Bison is so disgustingly hard for me as well as Fuerte. He can lay so much pressure and its tough to punish anything. Not to mention his 2 pokes (HK and MK) are so incredibly good.

I have no advice since I play Abel but just wanted to also pitch my hate for Bison! :lol

unreon said:

Scissors Kick - 90% safe
Headstomp - very safe
teleport - safe

Bison is hard. Anytime I do casuals with Threi it's definitely rough.
Some very basic things: I know EX tornado throwing Bison out of scissor kicks works. Regular TT can catch him on startup too. FA the low roundhouse slides if they like to do that move.

You can Ultra a whiffed devil's reverse. It's rare the opportunity arises, but the option is there.

Here is one of the few matches I win against Threi's Bison: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5GlyH_OFCk

Scissors Kick - 90% safe - Two hit kicks are not safe. I'm not totally sure about lk-version but the other ones are punishable
Headstomp - very safe - Focus Attack or back dash then punish
purple hands after headstomp - crazy priority - Focus Attack
teleport - safe - Try to predict wake up teleports

Arde5643

_dementia said:
Some very basic things: I know EX tornado throwing Bison out of scissor kicks works. Regular TT can catch him on startup too. FA the low roundhouse slides if they like to do that move.

You can Ultra a whiffed devil's reverse. It's rare the opportunity arises, but the option is there.

Here is one of the few matches I win against Threi's Bison: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5GlyH_OFCk
Hi dementia, you might want to use more of Abel's jumping palm attack (either j.MP or j.HP - I don't remember). That will stuff a lot of Bison's air attack because it seems you either get beat or trade with your j.MK when Bison also jumps.

Arde5643 said:
Hi dementia, you might want to use more of Abel's jumping palm attack (either j.MP or j.HP - I don't remember). That will stuff a lot of Bison's air attack because it seems you either get beat or trade with your j.MK when Bison also jumps.
Yeah? I'm so terrible, I always think j.MK deep crossup -> c.FP -> Ultra like autopilot and it totally costs me :(
What about j.LP to beat Bison's j.LK? Is that what you mean by palm attack? If MP or HP work better I'll definitely use them but LP is fast and out for so long (and kinda reminds me of my beloved Q's j.LP :lol)

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
unreon said:

Scissors Kick - 90% safe
Headstomp - very safe
teleport - safe

Tough fight, I need advice too. I think i win half the fights.

things i do:

after block Scissor Kicks - poke with lk, lk stuffs...alot of his stuff, including his HK/MK. If the Scissor Kick is deep, i'll lp TT, VERY tight much like Sagat's knee. He'll fail if he tries to grab you afterwards cuz lp TT beats grabs.

Headstomp - Block> Dash foward, i dont Roll cuz Super Purple hand catches me on recovery. lk/Roll to dodge Headstomp, dangerous sometimes cuz they can bait to do it so they can mid air Purplr Hand you. Block > Jump back or Neutral Fierce Punch.

Purple Hand - You can and i have lp Heartless Super, but its tough its Abel after all, weird shit happends, dont look for it. Focus

Teleport - if you can telegraph it. Roll or Dash(depending on distance) to him and lp TT or EX TT. Follow his habits after teleporting.

But still a very reactionary fight for me. I just go in keeping Lk poke in mind, make em make mistakes so i can do my thing and put him on defense.

_dementia said:

oh cool, makes sense.

Arde5643

_dementia said:
Yeah? I'm so terrible, I always think j.MK deep crossup -> c.FP -> Ultra like autopilot and it totally costs me :(
What about j.LP to beat Bison's j.LK? Is that what you mean by palm attack? If MP or HP work better I'll definitely use them but LP is fast and out for so long (and kinda reminds me of my beloved Q's j.LP :lol)
I don't quite remember which punch button it was - Abel basically sticks out his palm horizontally in the air while jumping.

It's a good safe jumping attack to throw out to beat people jumping away or jumping at you.

Arde5643 said:
I don't quite remember which punch button it was - Abel basically sticks out his palm horizontally in the air while jumping.

It's a good safe jumping attack to throw out to beat people jumping away or jumping at you.
gotcha, I'll play around and see what works

Arde5643

_dementia said:
gotcha, I'll play around and see what works
I think you're right - it is j.LP.

And got another info from SRK, Abel's j.LP beats Sagat's s.HK. :D

Rocky_Balboa said:
Distance. LK has the shortest.
Not only that, stronger scissor kicks usually also put Dictator closer to the opponent and with negative frames on block for Dictator, hence why they're punishable.

prodystopian said:
Did you have to unlock everyone in the PC version? I'm thinking about picking it up on Steam, soon in addition to the PS3 version.
I did.

But I think there is some way to just unlock them but I dunno I did it the normal way.. didnt take long. I got mine off Steam. Works great =]

_dementia - Pretty sure its Fierce punch. It has some good priority for Abel.

Stuffs Vegas well too

It's also important to remember that bison has no reliable anti-air aside from standing HK so it might be a good idea to keep the pressure on (although i havent fought sf4 bison in awhile). Just watch out for his jumping mp into ultra and always remember to backdash his headstomp(which ppl like to spam) and punish (preferably with ultra). Also try not to counterattack his headstomp because if he wins you take huge damage.

Rocky_Balboa said:
Btw. is the Ex-version of Scissors Kick punishable?

Yea I need to learn how to punish Scissors.. It just feels like there is never enough time.

I seem to always get hit by them or if I block its not enough time to punish because they will follow with a cr. LK or cr. MK and then scissor again or some shit.

Zeliard

Is the main difference between square and octogonal gates primarily reliant on whether you're playing charge or qcf-type characters?

Or is octogonal always more preferable?

Saige

I must do better.
Anyone have any tips on pulling off guiles ultra with an arcade stick? Out of all 750 online games I’ve fought I have only pulled of four ultras that I know of, one by accident and three were in the past few days with my stick, none have landed. In training I can start to pull of other characters ultras with some regularity but with Guile it still seems completely random.

I know his ultra is almost completely useless but I would at least like to be able to use it reliably to punish other peoples missed ultras.

And if anyone wants to play me add me on PSN: denris

Zeliard said:
Is the main difference between square and octogonal gates primarily reliant on whether you're playing charge or qcf-type characters?

Or is octogonal always more preferable?

I'm pretty sure most Japanese players use square so i would say its a matter of personal preference. I personally find it much easier to play charge characters with a square and have more difficulty playing as non-chargers.

Zeliard

That's the shortcut for SRK, right? Down-right twice + punch, I think. Is there a similar one for hadoukens?

Playing as shotos and such actually feels pretty good with a square gate, but I have quite a bit of difficulty getting Ryu's Ultra off consistently. A lot of the time I'll pull off an EX SRK instead (likely due to that aforementioned shortcut).

dralla

Saige said:
Anyone have any tips on pulling off guiles ultra with an arcade stick? Out of all 750 online games I’ve fought I have only pulled of four ultras that I know of, one by accident and three were in the past few days with my stick, none have landed. In training I can start to pull of other characters ultras with some regularity but with Guile it still seems completely random.

I know his ultra is almost completely useless but I would at least like to be able to use it reliably to punish other peoples missed ultras.

And if anyone wants to play me add me on PSN: denris
Charge down/back, ride the gate to down/forward, than roll the stick all the way to up/back and press all 3 kicks. Any up movement will register for the final input.

lemon__fresh said:
and that feature also makes it nearly impossible to do bison's ultra reliably(from crouch).
:(
If you enter the last input as up/forward + 3K, it should come out every time

TheExodu5 said:
Squares can pull off dragon punches easier than octagonal in SF4 since you can do 313P instead of 623P.

God if people start using that horrible GG and BB number system for SF or Cap games.. I'm gonna kick some taint.

Just takes time getting use to a Square gate.. you will get the hang of it soon

_dementia said:

That's a decent Bison. I have yet hit that ultra after the double MP in the air...damn teleport!!!

black_vegeta said:
That's a decent Bison. I have yet hit that ultra after the double MP in the air...damn teleport!!!
look for the other video I uploaded; he just takes my lunch money :lol
Yeah, I like his Bison. He ruins me with Honda and Abel too.

luiztfc

Don't know if this is the right thread to post this, but I might have a great deal on a Xbox360 Fighting Pad. Is it worth it? I'm playing with the xbox360 wireless controler and it's terrible!

_dementia said:

Doesn't Threi main Rog? Well I'm looking for euro sparring partners, I fancy learning a new character to go with Ryu. Leaning towards Abel, and Rufus. I'm Level 7 Boss.

Abel's lack of anti-air is annoying, but I can't seem to do crazy dive kick cross ups so I guess it's Abel. Time to learn those resets.

Arde5643

luiztfc said:
Don't know if this is the right thread to post this, but I might have a great deal on a Xbox360 Fighting Pad. Is it worth it? I'm playing with the xbox360 wireless controler and it's terrible!
It will get you by for a few months before it crumbles since the quality is pretty bad.
If you play casually, it will last you quite long, but for serious play, it'll last 3-4 months tops.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great fightpad, but it's not built to last.

If you can get a TE stick, that's much better since it will serve you in SF4 and other fighting games for a long time.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
i discovered last night that Abel's Ultra >>> Gief lariet ONLY in distance.

Gief knock me down, got really close, Lariets, i wake-up Ultra, BAM!, i die, i pissed, i learn.

other things that > Ultra: Cannon Drill, Shoryuken, Blanka Ultra...

Caj814

~Devil Trigger~ said:
i discovered last night that Abel's Ultra >>> Gief lariet ONLY in distance.

Gief knock me down, got really close, Lariets, i wake-up Ultra, BAM!, i die, i pissed, i learn.

other things that > Ultra: Cannon Drill, Shoryuken, Blanka Ultra...

You forgot sweeps too :lol

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Arde5643 said:
GGs, Relix - I kept messing up dashing back and blocking high on cross-ups.

Still need to get used to the stick.

Oh you are also using a stick now? :lol :lol Was practicing with it as well, GGs. =P I feel that my skill has dropped a lot haha

Arde5643

Relix said:
Oh you are also using a stick now? :lol :lol Was practicing with it as well, GGs. =P I feel that my skill has dropped a lot haha
Whenever you see me hitting your fireball with my fist, that's because I keep messing up the forward run motion. :lol

jibblypop

Banned
Adam Prime said:
Good luck, hopefully you don't buy a lemon. These things have a variety of issues. My USB receiver on the PS3 wouldn't sync with my controller, had to wait a week for Madcatz to send me a replacement USB receiver. I ended up buying a Saturn USB pad from eBay as a backup pad.

So I got the controller home and tried it in BlazBlue and it plays like a dream. At first I was worried because it feels so light and cheap. The huge D-pad is awesome though and really feels nice. At this point even if it doesn't help my Street fighter game, it will have been a great purchase just for fighting games in general! :D

Top Bottom