• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

~Devil Trigger~ said:
i discovered last night that Abel's Ultra >>> Gief lariet ONLY in distance.

Gief knock me down, got really close, Lariets, i wake-up Ultra, BAM!, i die, i pissed, i learn.

other things that > Ultra: Cannon Drill, Shoryuken, Blanka Ultra...
Yeah Abels Ultra beats lariat ONLY after the first spin

~Devil Trigger~ said:

Gief knock me down, got really close, Lariets, i wake-up Ultra, BAM!, i die, i pissed, i learn.

Abel's ultra shouldn't be used outside of a combo, or to punish scrubs who use projectiles when you have it stocked.

Level 8 Boss said:
Abel's ultra shouldn't be used outside of a combo, or to punish scrubs who use projectiles when you have it stocked.
I understand what you mean, but I disagee. When the opportunity arises, ad rae as it may be (horizontal Blank ball on block, HP torpedo headbutt on block, whiffed flash kick, EX spinning bird on block, or the aforementioned whiffed devil's reverse) a naked reversal Ultra works wonders and does insane damage.

It definitely should be combo'd into from the cr.HP, but it can be used as punisher for a number of things too.

_dementia said:
I understand what you mean, but I disagee. When the opportunity arises, ad rae as it may be (horizontal Blank ball on block, HP torpedo headbutt on block, whiffed flash kick, EX spinning bird on block, or the aforementioned whiffed devil's reverse) a naked reversal Ultra works wonders and does insane damage.

It definitely should be combo'd into from the cr.HP, but it can be used as punisher for a number of things too.

I meant reversal punishers notwithstanding. So yeah, of course punish Blanka balls etc. But as a wakeup option, its useless.

TimeKillr

~Devil Trigger~ said:

The lariat will knock Abel out of his ultra any time.

The only reason it works from a distance is that you hit it after the hitboxes were gone. You could technically do it from short range too, but the problem is if you can be hit from the lariat up close, you won't be able to punish with it.

Better to punish with ex cod.

_dementia said:

This.

You can also punish blocked Cannon Spikes, vertical Blanka balls on block, etc. Lots of stuff can be punished from vanilla Ultra that can't be comboed from a cr.hp.

My fave combo to do now is cr.hp into high juggle (as anti-air) -> CoD -> Ultra. Jump in on me now :)

TimeKillr

Leunam said:
And LK.Wheel Kick or far.MP.

Any Wheel Kick will do as long as it just scrapes Gief, actually, but the distance isn't the easiest thing to gauge, especially since gief can move a bit during . Far MP isn't good on wakeup (obviously).

Zeliard

Man. These input shortcuts are a mixed blessing with a stick. Sort of nice for a newb like me to be able to DP easily and consistently with the down-rightx2+P shortcut, but that makes it a bitch to get Ryu's Ultra off with any consistency and without accidentally busting out an EX Shoryuken.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Zeliard said:
Man. These input shortcuts are a mixed blessing with a stick. Sort of nice for a newb like me to be able to DP easily and consistently with the down-rightx2+P shortcut, but that makes it a bitch to get Ryu's Ultra off with any consistency and without accidentally busting out an EX Shoryuken.
For someone whose never had an arcade stick, are executing inputs that much different from using a dpad? I mean do you have to input a lot more precisely and stuff? I've read that it takes about a month or so to get fluent with the joystick...

Rufus

ArjanN said:
The language setting is just a preference, you can still play with anyone.
And I don't always feel like fighting the CPU in the mean time. Most of the time I get matches in under 30 seconds anyway.
Yeah, but but with fight requests it's more varied right away. It doesn't have to look for exact matches first, yadda yadda...
Yeah, that can get boring, but I find it better than just sitting there, changing the icons around.
'Under 30 seconds' is a pretty high maximum...

Any tips for viper... Just started using her this week without any prior experience and boy is it tough.. Her normals seem to be pretty bad compared to most characters. Her thunder knuckle as anti-air is so-so but trades with too many things.

Somehow I got into G2 probably losing 98% of my matches with viper.. I'm finally winning a few matches here and there but I'm still losing the majority of the time. ANY tips would be grateful, especially against dictator I can't seem to punish the scissor kick.

qcf x2

Generally speaking, with Viper you're gonna have to accept that when you're not on offense you're in trouble. Her normals are wack, but her air normals kinda make up for it. f+Mp and throw mix up are her weapon in place of high priority normals.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
jam86 said:
Any tips for viper... Just started using her this week without any prior experience and boy is it tough.. Her normals seem to be pretty bad compared to most characters. Her thunder knuckle as anti-air is so-so but trades with too many things.

Somehow I got into G2 probably losing 98% of my matches with viper.. I'm finally winning a few matches here and there but I'm still losing the majority of the time. ANY tips would be grateful, especially against dictator I can't seem to punish the scissor kick.

She's one of the toughest to use in the game.
- you can juggle Fierce Thunder knuckle with another one, or Ultra(i think)
- learn the flame kick cross up, its weird and tricky to block.
- and learn that Seimo > big jump

thats all i know

Zeliard

Kaako said:
For someone whose never had an arcade stick, are executing inputs that much different from using a dpad? I mean do you have to input a lot more precisely and stuff? I've read that it takes about a month or so to get fluent with the joystick...

Well, it's just a completely different control method that you have to get used to, and the difficulty in adjusting comes from that and an arcade stick being considerably more responsive. You can tell fairly quickly that there is a lot more potential in executing moves in rapid succession with a stick.

It's essentially the same as the difference between a gamepad and a keyboard/mouse for shooters. Much like a mouse, a stick offers much more possibility for fluid, quick, accurate movements. It just takes time to adapt.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Zeliard said:
Well, it's just a completely different control method that you have to get used to, and the difficulty in adjusting comes from that and an arcade stick being considerably more responsive. You can tell fairly quickly that there is a lot more potential in executing moves in rapid succession with a stick.

It's essentially the same as the difference between a gamepad and a keyboard/mouse for shooters. Much like a mouse, a stick offers much more possibility for fluid, quick, accurate movements. It just takes time to adapt.
You had me @ mouse and keyboard. ^_^
Goddamnit, now I MUST buy a TE stick.

HiResDes

Kaako said:
The final round back to back Ultra vs the flowchart Ken is just :lol :lol :lol
Is that the same DSP that plays as Akuma and DeeJay in Remix because he seems so awesome in that game...How can it be that he seem so bad in SFIV?

Well I finally bit and now a proud owner of the pc version, was cheaper then the 360 plus it looks amazing on my setup. Still very rusty from a few months break from HD, plus I need to get use to all the suttle changes SF4 has, not to say i'm good or anything but right now I make way too many nublet mistakes online.

Speaking of online matches, my very first online ranked match I won :lol by the skin of my teeth, first found I got in a lucky ryu fireball (he chose ken so I went ryu) then the second round I only got like 2 hits in, 3rd round I nearly lost it early too but had a lucky comeback with a nice medium crouched jab to take the win, woo!

Then I lost to cammy twice using random character select :(

If any pc players want an easy target, feel free.

*edit* also this is one pc game I refuse to use my 360 pad on, Logitech Rumble Pad 2 has a lovely setup and soft buttons, great dpad too.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
prodystopian said:
Did you have to unlock everyone in the PC version? I'm thinking about picking it up on Steam, soon in addition to the PS3 version.

You have to unlock everyone, but you can also use a cheat code and unlock all the characters, costume colors, titles and icons in 30 seconds. It's perfectly safe to do so, too. Just don't cheat and get the alternate costumes!

If Bison has me in a block string, but uses mk or HK scissors at the end, can I SRK through it? I couldn't figure out any way to punish after blocking it.

prodystopian said:
If Bison has me in a block string, but uses mk or HK scissors at the end, can I SRK through it? I couldn't figure out any way to punish after blocking it.

I'm planning on experimenting this (I main Ryu) just mash SRK and report back your findings. I'm not sure how many startup frames scissors has, but I have a feeling that SRK > MK/HK scissors.

"If Bison has me in a block string, but uses mk or HK scissors at the end, can I SRK through it? I couldn't figure out any way to punish after blocking it."

Both MK and HK scissors are super unsafe. Like -5/-8 on block. *However*, If spaced properly, they may be far enough to be out of harm's way. If he's doing that shit in your face, it's a free SRK after.

Teknopathetic said:
"If Bison has me in a block string, but uses mk or HK scissors at the end, can I SRK through it? I couldn't figure out any way to punish after blocking it."

Both MK and HK scissors are super unsafe. Like -5/-8 on block. *However*, If spaced properly, they may be far enough to be out of harm's way. If he's doing that shit in your face, it's a free SRK after.

That was the problem, he would hit me with the block string and then scissors, and FP SRK, cr. RH, cr. MK all seemed to miss (with Akuma). I couldn't figure out anything to reach him.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
_dementia said:
I think there is a separate controller setup in the start menu -> programs.
X - Light Punch
Y - Medium Punch
Z - Hard Punch
A - Light Kick
B - Medium Kick
C - Hard Kick

You can use L/R for 3P/3K
Here's the problem I'm having (and I'm sure I'm missing something obvious): When I go to the setting it doesn't list C or Z, but LB/LT and RB/RT instead. Played around with some different settings but haven't been able to get the Hard buttons right:
2ihtkqw.jpg

1z6xd76.jpg

MIMIC

Banned
I think I saw the flashiest Fuerte in a replay on Xbox Live :lol Here's what he did (mind you, they're in the 3rd round):

Back run > flip off wall > jumping HP > RSF (2 hits) > quesadilla bomb > Super

That's stuff I do for shits and giggles in training mode....never in an actual MATCH @_@

Stuneseht

Got my ass handed to me by Threi earlier with his M.Bison. :lol :lol
Question: Is there an easy way to learn the timing with throws?

Edit:
Gamertag: Dinkerdog
I play a decent blanka...

Top Bottom