• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Just got back from the worst tournament ever.

A radio station decided to host one big ass street fighter iv tournament to promote some crap I didn't care about yesterday and it was pretty fucking terrible. It was probably the biggest street fighter iv tournament in our country since it was all over the news, radio and TV.

What fucking sucks is that players weren't allowed to use sticks! You had to default to either the shitty PS3 pad or the shitty 360 pad. All of the good players got peaced out to random ass people(single elim), but I managed to squeeze myself into the finals because the bracket I played it was particularly shittier than the rest, I think. In the finals, we weren't allowed to stand up and had to play on the big screen! like, literally we had to sit 2 feet away from the biggest fucking screen ever and try to play. So everything blurry as censored japanese balls, making it almost impossible for me to see what the fuck is even happening on screen.

I lose in the 5th and final round because i whiff my sagats ultra after the f.rh(AGAIN, FUCK PADS) and the dude gets a free ultra for the championship and sony's shitty console.

Lost Fragment said:
I beat Saqs in championship mode tonight. I feel more accomplished than I should, since he's beat me every other time we've played. :lol

My friend got knocked out of the winners bracket in pool play by Saqs at Evo. Whiffed his ultra off a combo that would have won it all... And then proceeded to lose lol. Was a close game.

Tonza

Kenaras said:
Change the difficulty to easiest. Don't feel bad about doing so, either; the actual difficulty level will be similar to the normal difficulty in most other fighting games. Normal difficulty in Street Fighter IV is brutal for inexperienced players.

Yeah I think I'll do that.

Do you unlock the characters even in the easiest difficulty? I want to have most of the characters before deciding which of them to concentrate on.

Tonza said:
Yeah I think I'll do that.

Do you unlock the characters even in the easiest difficulty? I want to have most of the characters before deciding which of them to concentrate on.
Yeah I believe so, I been playing arcade on easy to unlock characters so far but I dunno about Akuma, he is not appearing for me on easy.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I was so close to buying the TE PS3 Arcade Stick last night for $150, but my wife looked at me and asked, "But what if you spend all this money and you still suck?"

Does a stick, the $70 or $150 version, really make a big difference with this game?

What up people. I was having a really bad dry spell. I took time off of this game when the Championship Edition was released. I wish I had not done that, because I felt that I am so behind in the game.

DenogginizerOS said:
I was so close to buying the TE PS3 Arcade Stick last night for $150, but my wife looked at me and asked, "But what if you spend all this money and you still suck?"

Does a stick, the $70 or $150 version, really make a big difference with this game?

Probably depends on the person... if you don't want to go full out for a stick, at least find a deal on a fightpad. The catch with SF games (SSFIITHDR, SFIV) is they use 6 attack buttons, so easily adjusting to using the shoulder/trigger/whatever buttons on top of the controller has always sucked. Having *all* attacks easily available makes it easier to fully learn someone, for me at least. Then again, I'm the guy who pushed the weakest kick/punch buttons to the shoulders, since I almost never use them with the people I'm already proficient with.

On the PS3, I don't know if a stick/fightpad is as necessary as with the 360 -- the PS3 controller has a solid d-pad, so you can probably get most of the inputs right, where the 360 controller has the analog or the broken d-pad...

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I guess I am on the fence over which stick to get. I don't want to spend $70 if the stick is garbage, and yet I haven't found a review that really puts down the $70 stick. However, I get the feeling the better investment is to go with the $150 stick which is obviously a lot of money to spend.

DenogginizerOS said:
I guess I am on the fence over which stick to get. I don't want to spend $70 if the stick is garbage, and yet I haven't found a review that really puts down the $70 stick. However, I get the feeling the better investment is to go with the $150 stick which is obviously a lot of money to spend.

Get the $70 stick. Down the road if you like, you can buy the same buttons/stick (sanwa) in the $150 stick and put it in the $70 stick, one of the easiest mods in the history of everything (all you need is a screwdriver.)

I cant seem to play this game on my xbox 360 anymore. I'm now noticing horrible lag on the game and at the same time my tvs lag and it's killing my timing. I'm probably just gonna stick to PC since the lag doesn't seem as bad at times and the monitor refresh rate blows my tv out of the water.

FindMyFarms said:
Get the $70 stick. Down the road if you like, you can buy the same buttons/stick (sanwa) in the $150 stick and put it in the $70 stick, one of the easiest mods in the history of everything (all you need is a screwdriver.)

The regular edition stick has quick connects for the buttons and joystick as well?

comrade

DenogginizerOS said:

If you don't have a problem dropping the $150 I'd suggest going with the best. I bought the $70 stick and my joystick stopped registering diagonals after a week. I replaced it for about $25. My jab button is starting to drop inputs now and get stuck so I'm going to need to replace at least 6 of the 8 buttons which are $2.95 a piece. After tax and shipping it's going to be pretty close to the $150 mark not to mention the hassle of having to replace/wait for shipping. If an extra $20 isn't a big deal for you I'd just go all out and get the best stick.

corrosivefrost said:
The regular edition stick has quick connects for the buttons and joystick as well?
Yeah it does.

TurtleSnatcher said:
I cant seem to play this game on my xbox 360 anymore. I'm now noticing horrible lag on the game and at the same time my tvs lag and it's killing my timing. I'm probably just gonna stick to PC since the lag doesn't seem as bad at times and the monitor refresh rate blows my tv out of the water.

Yea it really horrible on the lag. You can play against somebody with 4, or even 5 bars, and the game will still lag up.

Tonza

Just played for freaking 1,5 hours against Seth at Very easy with Crimson Viper. Beat him at the end but really I must've played atleast 50 matches against him. The first phase was pretty easy because you could just jump and kick him so it wasn't a problem but the second phase is so stupid.

And before I beat him pretty easily with Ryu. (on second try)

That really killed my motivation to play the game. Or fighters altogether. :\

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
DenogginizerOS said:

In all likelihood, unless you have a decent amount of experience with arcade sticks, I doubt you'll really be able to tell the difference between the $70 and the $150 stick. I say go with the $70 and upgrade its buttons if you decide to invest seriously into the genre.

Tonza said:
Just played for freaking 1,5 hours against Seth at Very easy with Crimson Viper. Beat him at the end but really I must've played atleast 50 matches against him. The first phase was pretty easy because you could just jump and kick him so it wasn't a problem but the second phase is so stupid.

A rather boring lame and simple method to beating seth on very easy is to use foward + HK, he will only block like one in 5 attempts. Long as you are not in grabbing range he should not do much to fight back.

At one point I got a perfect by doing like 10 guile sweeps in a row lol.

Earlier today I dipped into the championship mode online, some real tough fights compared to regular ranked matches.

Chauncy Talon said:
Yea it really horrible on the lag. You can play against somebody with 4, or even 5 bars, and the game will still lag up.

wat. I play only 4-5 bar (I'm a snob like that) and it's fine. I play arcade mode with challenge on that way i can practice before I get to fights, so I go from offline timing to online timing constantly and it feels fine.

SmokeMaxX

This might be a noob question, but how the heck do you unlock Championship Mode? I've Googled it but I must not have tried the right terms and I've downloaded the Power Pack but it doesn't really explain how to do it.

bumpkin

SmokeMaxX said:
This might be a noob question, but how the heck do you unlock Championship Mode? I've Googled it but I must not have tried the right terms and I've downloaded the Power Pack but it doesn't really explain how to do it.
I'm pretty sure it's hidden behind the Xbox Live option in multiplayer. It wasn't immediately obvious to me either at first.

Struct09

Tonza said:

I'm convinced this is a bug with the game. There were times where Seth would destroy me on Very Easy, so I would restart the arcade mode with the same character. When I got to Seth again I would beat him him with very little effort.

Seth is a total bitch in SP. First round is piss easy, then the second round he just launches into ridiculous displays of teleport/dragon punch/piledriver.

Granted, for the pro's around here its probably no big deal. For the casual 'Friday Night Piss-Up Street Fighter' night kinda guys, it was a pain in the ass.

(Although I have beaten him on Medium with Ryu/Sagat.... just!)

LakeEarth

You just gotta figure out his tricks. Keep your distance, don't attack him on wakeup, don't jump in unless he's doing his arm stretchy thing from the ground. Knowing your ultra setups and damaging combos helps too. For most fighter bosses, you just gotta figure out the holes in their AI.

K.Sabot

Capcom needs to give match creators the option to kick joiners who play a round and sit at the stat screen after the fight. It's really a pain to have a nice record and then have someone idle in the same spot for 20 minutes until I have to close the match.

LakeEarth said:
You just gotta figure out his tricks. Keep your distance, don't attack him on wakeup, don't jump in unless he's doing his arm stretchy thing from the ground. Knowing your ultra setups and damaging combos helps too. For most fighter bosses, you just gotta figure out the holes in their AI.

Very true, he does have a routine he likes to keep to. I'd try to keep the distance between us so that when he launches into his Triple Sonic Boom or Arm Stretchy Punch I could Jump+HK, Crouch HP, SRK him. The problems start if you get knocked down and he teleports all around you. I just know that a piledriver is incoming!

Still, doesn't impact the 1000s of rounds I've played in MP since the SP side of things! :D

K.Sabot said:
Capcom needs to give match creators the option to kick joiners who play a round and sit at the stat screen after the fight. It's really a pain to have a nice record and then have someone idle in the same spot for 20 minutes until I have to close the match.
Sounds like the lame stuff which happens in Hyper Fighting, since there is no timer on select people would idle and wait for the host or other person to force quit, giving them a default win without even fighting :lol

I don't think they fixed it because HDremix was being made so HF died a slow death.

Tonza

LakeEarth said:

Yeah I really noticed that nearly every jump in was met by his shoryuken.

I think I wouldn't be so pissed at him if all characters were unlocked from the start. This is something that should be standard in all fighters.

And to me fadc to ultra is pretty impossible. So I usually just throw ultra/super and hope for the best. :p Which I noticed was useless against Seth since he would counter those allways.

Ledsen

sionyboy said:
Seth is a total bitch in SP. First round is piss easy, then the second round he just launches into ridiculous displays of teleport/dragon punch/piledriver.

Granted, for the pro's around here its probably no big deal. For the casual 'Friday Night Piss-Up Street Fighter' night kinda guys, it was a pain in the ass.

(Although I have beaten him on Medium with Ryu/Sagat.... just!)

That's why you put it on one round only :p

FoxSpirit

Yeah... though he's still a bizch even on one round.
Though now that I play a decent Ryu it was no big trouble even on hardest (did it for the trophy).

profit

Really need to practice my blocks >_< I catch myself constantly losing matches simply because I release my block to early. I know its something I need to learn by myself, but if someone has some tips, always welcome.

GamerSoul

GriffD17 said:
Just look up keywords "Sabre Sakura" on youtube. The stuff he gets people with on there are very similar to what he got Valle with. Unfortunately, these vids don't have the announcers and the crowd getting all into it.

Edit: You can still watch the streamed version

I just watched some of Sabre on Youtube. The guy is knows how to use her. I'm impressed. I've never seen some of those combinations. Time to watch that EVO stream playback.

HOLY SHIT. Straight out of the matrix!:lol That was niiiiiiiiiiiiiice

brendanrfoley said:
Beautiful. I wish the effect applied to the backgrounds as well. I hope the follow-up to SFIV, whatever it may be, increases the 'hand drawn' look of the game.
The default art style reminds me of a 3D version of the SF2 character sprites, that same sort of look and drawn effect. The filter I use just makes the game look so amazing in motion though.

I just played some HDremix with my cousin and damn, you just can not go back easily to that game, sf4 has spoiled me.

V_Arnold

profit said:
Really need to practice my blocks >_< I catch myself constantly losing matches simply because I release my block to early. I know its something I need to learn by myself, but if someone has some tips, always welcome.

Sounds pretty obvious, but choose a character with really low hp (Viper, Rose, even better for Seth/Akuma), and if you like one of them, then stick with them for a while. If you mess up a block string, you will have your HP eaten away in a few seconds, so you will literally be forced to maximise your block timing and placement.

It worked for me, I was 'awful' when I started with Viper, since 3 mistakes took me a round (against a Ken for example, combos which end in fierce Shoryuken damage in 300~ range), but at the end of the day, I learned to block.

Then, once got enough practice, switch back to your main, and your hp will seem almost(!) infinite :)

JEKKI

so onto the next big shyt... anyone gonna be in So Cal labor day weekend?!?!

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=193703

Teppelin said:
This is a passion project. This post will be updated regularly with information as questions are answered and I come across new tidbits.

Hi folks! So Cal has been missing out on the large venue tournament events and so, I hope to bring one that will be an enjoyable time for all!

Official Site: www.warzonetournament.com

Pre-Registration
Available through the Warzone Website!

When - Labor Day Weekend - Sept. 4th - 6th, 2009 | Pool Party on the 4th!

Location - Yahoo Maps Link -
Orange County Airport Hilton
18800 MacArthur Blvd
Irvine, CA 92612

Literally across the street from the airport!!

Games -
Street Fighter IV
3rd Strike
BlazBlue

Side Tournaments - (more details to come)
Super Street Fighter II: HD-Remix | To be Run by SweetJohnnyV
Akatsuki Blitzkampf | To be run by shglbmx

Setups
I will be purchasing every TV used at this tournament to ensure that it has no lag and every station is standardized. This way, everyone has an equally positive experience.

ASUS VH236 Monitors have been purchased.

This tournament will be run on XBOX360s over HDMI. Top 8 for all games will be on a projector in a ballroom with theater seating.

3rd Strike will be on PS2 Anniversary Edition on SD TVs.

Details -
Venue Fee - $20

Each game entry will be $10.

Prize payouts - 70/20/10
SFIV will have a bonus $700/$200/$100 added to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd from me.

Schedule
Click Here

Hotel
I have rooms blocked out for the event so out of towners, you guys are very welcome to come! Room rates at the Hilton are usually $165 for a double but our special rate is at $85 a night. $250 for a suite for you ballers (the hotel has 4, I already bought two of them =D). Just ask for the Warzone tournament group rate.

Click to make a reservation!!

Come make a weekend out of this event! I have setup a cash bar for the tournament on both days so get your drink on, hit up the 24 hour IHOP a block away, and crash on Saturday at the Hilton.

Make sure to cheers me when you got a drink in hand. I'll be the guy with the vodka tonics in one hand and long islands in the other. =D

NOTICE
We are working on a social event for Friday night as well so you may want to book both Friday and Saturday night! It will be worth your time!

Parking:
As this is near an airport, there is a parking fee for the hotel. Worry not, I've lowered the rate to a measly $3 a day. Carpooling is encouraged.

Food:
There is a 24 hour IHOP down a block as well as a Carl's Jr, El Torito, Gulliver's Prime Rib, and more. I will update this information as soon as I get the tournament website up.

More details to come.

Promo Videos -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge3XevvBDg0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l13iR9B3WOM

Footage of the actual venue coming soon!!

Extras -

We are giving away Madcatz Tournament Sticks in a drawing for those who book hotel rooms. I know this sounds gimmicky, but I'm pushing hotel rooms really hard because I want all of Warzone to be in one place for the whole weekend. I'm going to be having late night gaming sessions in my suite and parties every night and I want all my Street Fighter homies to be there!

http://www.warzonetournament.com/tournament-stick-giveaway/

profit

V_Arnold said:
Sounds pretty obvious, but choose a character with really low hp (Viper, Rose, even better for Seth/Akuma), and if you like one of them, then stick with them for a while. If you mess up a block string, you will have your HP eaten away in a few seconds, so you will literally be forced to maximise your block timing and placement.

It worked for me, I was 'awful' when I started with Viper, since 3 mistakes took me a round (against a Ken for example, combos which end in fierce Shoryuken damage in 300~ range), but at the end of the day, I learned to block.

Then, once got enough practice, switch back to your main, and your hp will seem almost(!) infinite :)

Yeh, seems to go with ups and downs for me. Having quite a better night tonight, still making stupid mistakes
I blame it on the 360 pad
. Still hate it when I constantly lose to flowcharts though...

For the people who are intersted in some friendly brawls, my GT is Leurc.

MIMIC

Banned
I finally recorded some of my matches. And just in time for when I was having a shitty day. I was messing up moves more than ever. My throws wouldn't come out, I couldn't RSF as cleanly as I ALWAYS do, etc. Whatever.

Uploading now for all to see.

Top Bottom