• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

MIMIC

Banned
Me (Fuerte) vs. Viper: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUtmIZan4Bc
Me (Fuerte) vs. Ryu: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awcmWNHn6Nc

I get my ass kicked in the next one :-/

DenogginizerOS said:
What is the best way to learn this game? I am coming from a non-Street Fighter background.

In addition to the advice of playing a lot, go to YouTube and watch a LOT of videos....especially ones of high-level play. It'll help you see the kind of timing needed for certain moves and they will help you from developing bad habits early on

SmokeMaxX

bumpkin said:
I'm pretty sure it's hidden behind the Xbox Live option in multiplayer. It wasn't immediately obvious to me either at first.

I've looked and I still couldn't find it. I selected ranked, I've selected player match. I selected create your own match. I selected custom match. None of them gave me an option for Championship mode.

GriffD17

There's not a whole lot else that is more disheartening than getting your tush handed to you match after match. Thanks people on live. Thank you very much.

ArjanN

Tonza said:
Yeah I really noticed that nearly every jump in was met by his shoryuken.

I think I wouldn't be so pissed at him if all characters were unlocked from the start. This is something that should be standard in all fighters.

And to me fadc to ultra is pretty impossible. So I usually just throw ultra/super and hope for the best. :p Which I noticed was useless against Seth since he would counter those allways.

I used to think unlocking a bunch of characters was dumb, but now I changed my mind, because being forced to play as all the characters gives you a better understanding of how their moves work, which you need to know when playing against those characters online.

Seth is just a typical cheap fighting-game boss. You have to get past the fact that you can't fight him like a human character. If you jump at him he'll shoryuken you 100% of the time, if you try to throw him he will somehow always throw you etc. When I realized that he was basically an SNK boss, he became easy, because those type of bosses always have a couple of intentional holes in their AI. Once you realize what they are, just do the couple of moves that can actually hit him.

Set it to 1 round of 30 seconds on easiest if you just want to unlock characters.
Then you can just beat him with most characters by just doing leg sweeps over and over. Gief can just do the lariat over and over, Sagat can just shoot fireballs non-stop, etc...

gibration

MIMIC said:
Me (Fuerte) vs. Viper: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUtmIZan4Bc
Me (Fuerte) vs. Ryu: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awcmWNHn6Nc

I get my ass kicked in the next one :-/
One thing I noticed on the Fuerte vs Viper match is that every time you tried to Focus Attack your opponent on wake up he either punished it or you just completely missed. Try to bait him sometimes so just dash backwards and punish. You also once tried to focus attack your opponent when you were in the corner and Viper was down, this is basically asking to get hit on wake up, don't do that.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
awesome -- bd drive in my ps3 is fucked and i no longer play games or watch bds enough to bother having it fixed

i guess i'll have to hook up the 360, which has got better sf4 comp anyway, in terms of quantity and quality

ArjanN said:
I used to think unlocking a bunch of characters was dumb, but now I changed my mind, because being forced to play as all the characters gives you a better understanding of how their moves work, which you need to know when playing against those characters online.

This can be done in training mode or casuals. Forcing us to unlock characters is pointless.

GriffD17

I just got to G2!

palinraisetheroof.gif

Well I'm coming back to the game lol. BlazeBlue just wasn't for me. Too fast paced and crazy for my tastes. I like footsies, mind-games, zoning, controlling space in my games. I cannot have it any other way.

So I'm back. I grinded my way up to G-1, so you can play me there or via player. GT: Apharmd Striker.

Think I played too much tonight, I was at the point of making silly mistakes and losing rounds by a few hits difference, like using an uppercut when I knew they will block it. Guess i'm burned out right now.

ArjanN

Xevren said:
If you had as much trouble as you did in G3 I don't really see how G2 is going to be fun for you.

That's how you get better.

Also, playing in G2 filters out a lot of the annoying people with terrible connections and such.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
GalacticAE said:
This can be done in training mode or casuals. Forcing us to unlock characters is pointless.

That's why I love the PC version so much. I'm not usually a big cheater, but when I can unlock everything in SF4 within 30 seconds, I gotta go for it.

SnowWolf said:
That's why I love the PC version so much. I'm not usually a big cheater, but when I can unlock everything in SF4 within 30 seconds, I gotta go for it.
Does it fuck up your gamer tag or achievements? i'm playing as normal as possible but it would be nice to have all the extra colours and characters.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Don't have Gold anymore and don't think I'll renew for a while. I'm thinking of double dipping for PS3 as well. Do a lot of people play that version? I know that it's usually the standard @ Tournaments and such so I figured that the player pool should be pretty good, right?

TurtleSnatcher said:
I cant seem to play this game on my xbox 360 anymore. I'm now noticing horrible lag on the game and at the same time my tvs lag and it's killing my timing. I'm probably just gonna stick to PC since the lag doesn't seem as bad at times and the monitor refresh rate blows my tv out of the water.

your skills will go down the toilet, because of the shitty PC competition.

GriffD17

Kaako said:
Don't have Gold anymore and don't think I'll renew for a while. I'm thinking of double dipping for PS3 as well. Do a lot of people play that version? I know that it's usually the standard @ Tournaments and such so I figured that the player pool should be pretty good, right?

From what I've read there seems to be less people on the PS3. Couldn't tell you from experience though. And if you're going to double dip at $60, 1 year of Live is $50. I don't understand the motivation here to double dip. That and if you have sticks/pads for the 360?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
GriffD17 said:
From what I've read there seems to be less people on the PS3. Couldn't tell you from experience though. And if you're going to double dip at $60, 1 year of Live is $50. I don't understand the motivation here to double dip. That and if you have sticks/pads for the 360?
Don't have any sticks yet, but was thinking of getting PS3 stick just for free online. SF4 is pretty much the only game I play these days and I don't even play that much. So I'm thinking of keeping my costs as low as possible for the long run. I also have more friends on PSN right now so it just seems natural I guess.

Kaako said:

I have it on the PS3 also. PSN=ChauncyTalon

Captain N

Did anyone ever see

Scrubsport.com ?

Its a pretty neat site and they are holding a 'Season 1' of Street Fighter IV. I believe they plan on having more people join in.

comrade

Captain N said:
Did anyone ever see

Scrubsport.com ?

Its a pretty neat site and they are holding a 'Season 1' of Street Fighter IV. I believe they plan on having more people join in.
Your list is full.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
corrosivefrost said:
Probably depends on the person... if you don't want to go full out for a stick, at least find a deal on a fightpad. The catch with SF games (SSFIITHDR, SFIV) is they use 6 attack buttons, so easily adjusting to using the shoulder/trigger/whatever buttons on top of the controller has always sucked. Having *all* attacks easily available makes it easier to fully learn someone, for me at least. Then again, I'm the guy who pushed the weakest kick/punch buttons to the shoulders, since I almost never use them with the people I'm already proficient with.

On the PS3, I don't know if a stick/fightpad is as necessary as with the 360 -- the PS3 controller has a solid d-pad, so you can probably get most of the inputs right, where the 360 controller has the analog or the broken d-pad...

This is a really really bad idea.

Also, I think the guy talking about super saiyan probably meant Marvel Vs. Capcom!

comrade

Timedog said:
This is a really really bad idea.

Also, I think the guy talking about super saiyan probably meant Marvel Vs. Capcom!
Don't tell him! I want to jab the shit out of him if I see him online.

hitsugi

G1 pretty much made this game worthless for me at home.

Hard to find matches in the first place; even harder to find one with over 3 bars; even harder to find one that isn't vs Ryu.

No thanks.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
hitsugi said:

Hard to find matches in the first place; even harder to find one with over 3 bars; even harder to find one that isn't vs Ryu.

No thanks.

LOL, I think I played you with my Ryu.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
RJNavarrete said:
Seth is so damn cheap.

:/
configure every button to LP+MP+HP, pick zangeif, hardest difficulty, 1 round matches.
if they knock you down and walk up to you, spin the stick a few times and hit any button.

enjoy your world warrior trophy/achievement.

hitsugi said:

No thanks.

yea, that's what i've been saying. i've been stuck in G1 for month now and progress has been very slow.

i'm not going to spend my time waiting.

Pandaman said:
configure every button to LP+MP+HP, pick zangeif, hardest difficulty, 1 round matches.
if they knock you down and walk up to you, spin the stick a few times and hit any button.

enjoy your world warrior trophy/achievement.
I'm trying to do Chun to unlock Gen, though. Blah.

comrade said:
You can play with Zangief up until Seth then just beat him with Chun.
Getting to Seth isn't the hard part, though. :lol

I murdered almost everyone else, but Seth just kills me. All I can do is an 8 hit combo in the beginning [jump in + hk, some low punches, and then Chun's signature Kick blitz]. After that, it's typically a series of dragon punches, teleportations, and zangief piledrivers. :[

MCD said:
30 sec match, hit and run.

I was completely oblivious to the fact that you could change the match time... Are you serious?

comrade

RJNavarrete said:
Getting to Seth isn't the hard part, though. :lol

I murdered almost everyone else, but Seth just kills me. All I can do is an 8 hit combo in the beginning [jump in + hk, some low punches, and then Chun's signature Kick blitz]. After that, it's typically a series of dragon punches, teleportations, and zangief piledrivers. :[

I was completely oblivious to the fact that you could change the match time... Are you serious?
Like MCD said put it on 30 second matches. Rock him with that opening combo then run the fuck away.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Anyone have any experience/recommendations about getting the PC Benchmark to work? I downloaded and installed it, ran it, it crashed on start, updated my drivers, it still crashes on start. I don't have particularly high hopes of it running well, but not having it run at all when I'm pretty sure I meet the min-specs doesn't sound right.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I remember I beat Seth almost effortlessly with every other character, but with Chun Li it took me around 2 hours for whatever reason.

hitsugi said:

No thanks.

Part of me is really glad I'm still in G2 haha, so it's true that it's still hard to find matches in G1? On XBL or PS3?

I'm sure the competition in G1 is better, but at the same time, getting matches in G2 (even in the wee hours), is pretty convenient.

Also, good games to Timedog (Chickeny Dinner) :)

I'd definitely like to work with you more on the Ryu/Dictator matchup because I have trouble in that matchup (1 error = eating a Shoryuken Ultra you know what I'm saying :p) You pulled off a bunch of those (in mah face), it really kept me on my toes.

Some of my other characters are terrible (like Sagat), hopefully we'll play more and level up :)

Others feel free to add me on XBL: DrChen

I'll try to play more often, looking for people to level up with

V_Arnold

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
ChennehCis said:
Part of me is really glad I'm still in G2 haha, so it's true that it's still hard to find matches in G1? On XBL or PS3?

I'm sure the competition in G1 is better, but at the same time, getting matches in G2 (even in the wee hours), is pretty convenient.

Also, good games to Timedog (Chickeny Dinner) :)

I'd definitely like to work with you more on the Ryu/Dictator matchup because I have trouble in that matchup (1 error = eating a Shoryuken Ultra you know what I'm saying :p) You pulled off a bunch of those (in mah face), it really kept me on my toes.

Some of my other characters are terrible (like Sagat), hopefully we'll play more and level up :)

Others feel free to add me on XBL: DrChen

I'll try to play more often, looking for people to level up with

My fightpad is more or less broken. I had been having some trouble with it for awhile, and then I got to G1 just as my fightpad really turded out. I'm getting a TE stick in a few days and I'll need tons of practice in player matches before I start doing championship mode again, so I'll hit you up. I'm sure at first I'll be even worse than how I played tonight though!

When is Haunts free?

Top Bottom