• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Wow what's with players on live recently, they've been sending me nice messages. I've been replying with 'shut up scrub' as a reflex lol. Bit I did get a nice rage message today.

Chunners seems to be the new hotness online, getting really popular.

Can anyone help with any Abel resets or mix-ups?

TimeKillr

VALKYRAY said:
akuma combo, no super & ultra, 36 hits

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKFUdO7BEVo

36 hits.

Does about the same damage as c.mk -> w. tatsu -> f.srk.

Yay damage scaling :)

Me and Spectre tried some stuff on saturday, where with infinite bar Spectre chained tons of OTG EX Cannon Drives. Scaling went

100% -> 100% -> 80% -> 70% -> 60% -> 50% -> 40% -> etc. Stops at 10% iirc.

When a move does 10% of its original damage, you know something's wrong. The devs wanted to make sure that if there are infinites, they'd do such shit damage that it wouldn't be worth it.

With Abel, for example...
c.fp -> Ultra does about 5 damage less than c.mp -> mp CoD -> FADC -> c.fp -> Ultra.
Or s.fp (2 hits) -> Super does MORE damage than s.fp -> fp CoD -> Super Cancel into Super. Fun.

BTW, Spectre and I made this quick video just to test our setup - we'll be doing videos and such from the point of view of middle-ground players (as well as promoting our local scene).

If you guys wanna watch it, it's at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP8SFqGWHZA

Tell me how you like the video quality and stuff. It's kinda short, it was my first time doing video editing outside of work where all I have to do is cut/transition videos so just bash into me if you want or give me ideas for stuff we should do.

Level 8 Boss said:
Wow what's with players on live recently, they've been sending me nice messages. I've been replying with 'shut up scrub' as a reflex lol. Bit I did get a nice rage message today.

I've seen a LOT of Chuns online recently. Dunno why. :)

2nd topic: Abel resets and mix-ups!

Abel doesn't have a lot in terms of resets. His best one is c.fp -> lk roll -> s.fp -> mk or rh roll. mk roll will end up in front, rh will end up behind. The problem is actually landing it - c.fp doing 2 hits isn't that common, especially from good players, as is it only guaranteed off a whiffed SRK-type move or from a CoD FADC. If you do land it, though, you have a good chance at stunning your opponent.

He can also do c.mk as anti-air and cancel it into mk or rh rolls, again with the same properties, although if you're against someone who's relatively good they'll either mash crouching jabs or throw (as they land just a bit before you do and recover before your roll).

Mixups are nice too. On wakeup, I have 4 different options:

1. c.rh -> lk wheel kick
2- TT
3- s.rh (close)
4- far wheel kick

c.rh -> lk wheel kick is a very good option for 2 reasons - either they get hit from the c.rh, or they get hit by the wheel kick. It's easy to block both, but you have to know it's coming. You can mixup this by itself by doing a roll instead of a wheel kick if they get used to blocking both.

TT is self-explanatory and works MUCH more than you'd think, especially against better players who don't wakeup SRK so much. It's an option that works better against skilled opponents, believe it or not :)

s.rh (close) is another good option when you have someone who's starting to expect c.rhs or just blocks low on wakeup.

Far wheel kick is just that. Depending on how far you are, just pick accordingly.

As for other mixups, I love to do jump in mk. On block, c.jab twice then TT. On hit, BnB.

Askia47

One thing I never could understand is how people use Focus and snap right out of it, without doing the full animation. I was trying that last night and couldnt do it.

Does anyone have any tips on how to do that?

TimeKillr said:
36 hits.

If you guys wanna watch it, it's at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP8SFqGWHZA

Tell me how you like the video quality and stuff. It's kinda short, it was my first time doing video editing outside of work where all I have to do is cut/transition videos so just bash into me if you want or give me ideas for stuff we should do.

Vid is good, nothing that most players wouldn't have encountered. Good quality as well.

Keep it up man.

TimeKillr

Askia47 said:
One thing I never could understand is how people use Focus and snap right out of it, without doing the full animation. I was trying that last night and couldnt do it.

Start the focus then just dash forward or backward. It's as simple as that. :)

Level 8 Boss said:
Vid is good, nothing that most players wouldn't have encountered. Good quality as well.

Keep it up man.

I know it's nothing too new. :) It basically was a test, but we were surprised it could throw out of a SRK too. The rest we knew (and pretty much everyone who knows SF4 knows it too lol) but it's still surprising to some people we know that she can air throw out of Blanka's ultra.

Level 8 Boss said:

Yeah, I got like 3 or 4 nice messages on thursday

No45

Askia47 said:

http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2008/jul/08/basic-gameplay-details-street-fighter-4/

Covered there.
Sometimes referred to as a 'FADC' or a 'SADC'. After executing some special moves, you can Dash Cancel by pressing and holding the buttons for your Focus Attack and hitting forward twice and then releasing the Medium Punch and Kick buttons to cancel the animation to set up more hits in a combo.

This also takes part of your Super meter to do.

:)

TimeKillr said:
Start the focus then just dash forward or backward. It's as simple as that. :)

I know it's nothing too new. :) It basically was a test, but we were surprised it could throw out of a SRK too. The rest we knew (and pretty much everyone who knows SF4 knows it too lol) but it's still surprising to some people we know that she can air throw out of Blanka's ultra.

Throwing out of an ultra is something I didn't know though, which is absurd. Guess that's the benefits of being low tier (well not Chunners)

Thanks for the Abel help, he's become my secondary, but still not great with him. Can't seem to keep up the pressure as much as I need to. Need to start exploiting MK -> poke more.

Noob question, but what are the different properties of the TT. Jab recovers fastest, but shortest range, fierce longest recovery and best range?

TimeKillr

Level 8 Boss said:
Throwing out of an ultra is something I didn't know though, which is absurd. Guess that's the benefits of being low tier (well not Chunners)

Thanks for the Abel help, he's become my secondary, but still not great with him. Can't seem to keep up the pressure as much as I need to. Need to start exploiting MK -> poke more.

Noob question, but what are the different properties of the TT. Jab recovers fastest, but shortest range, fierce longest recovery and best range?

Yeah it's pretty crazy with air throwing out of ultras. We tried doing it to Honda's Ultra as well but it seems to have throw invulnerability.

Properties of TT!

All strengths are throw invulnerable. This means they will beat EVERY THROW in the game that isn't throw invulnerable. EX TT is a different story, though.

AFAIK they all have the same recovery time.

Jab: Longest range (quite long!), lowest damage
Medium: Medium range, medium damage
Fierce: Shortest range (about the range of a standard throw), highest damage
EX: Jab range, Medium damage, but not throw invulnerable. Rather, it is hit invulnerable.

So you use them in the following order:

Mixups/long range punishes: Jab
Short range punishes: Fierce
Countering anything your opponent throws at you except throws: EX

You know, I might do another video with some of Abel's properties for his moves, since he's quite unique.

For example, his Super has 3 different properties:

Jab: Hit invulnerable, lowest damage
Medium: Throw invulnerable, medium damage
Fierce: Projectile invulnerable, highest damage

Although.. Projectile invulnerability on a very short range super is kinda dumb. The only situation where I found it useful is on wakeup against a Dhalsim who threw out his Ultra and you don't have Ultra yourself.

Abel's f.mk -> dash poke is GODLY. Learn to do c.jabs -> f.mk -> dash -> mixup. It'll improve your game tenfold.

After the dash, you have a LOT of options..

TT, link into fierce, more c.jabs

Only use TT if they block the mk. Link into fierce is hard at first but plinking it makes it MUCH easier. c.jabs are self-explanatory and quite useful to apply more pressure.

Timekillr, the recovery on tornado throws are as follows:

HP - 39 frames
MP - 45 frames
LP - 51 frames
EX - 54 frames

They actually have different recovery times, but you're probably fucked if you whiff any of them :lol

TimeKillr

_dementia said:

HP - 39 frames
MP - 45 frames
LP - 51 frames
EX - 54 frames

They actually have different recovery times, but you're probably fucked if you whiff any of them :lol

Heh, I didn't know that.

But yeah, whiffing any is bad. :) The rest of the TT info was good though, I hope...

psy18

I've been maining Akuma for quite a while now. Any good strategy using him from you guys?

Having big difficulty dealing with Blanka, Boxer, Dictator, Honda. Any good strategy besides using ultra when they charge? (doesn't work for dictator)

Also, is there any other way to combo his ultra/super? I have no problem with ex > ultra/super but it's not very useful against medium or higher skilled player.

or maybe I should switch to other character for online? Akuma dies very quickly if I screw up...
I just started this game a few weeks ago and still need adapting my rusty sf2alpha skill...

Man, Rice-Eater, Find got his hands on you. It's good playing him, you can learn a lot and he gives advice too. I remember he picked on me once by using Ken/Akuma/Fei Long and I chose poor Honda.

So is the PC version included in that $20 deal?

And that combo was pointless. The damage scaling takes the oomf out of it.

Answered my own question. Only applies to the console versions, which I already have. Boo.

I noticed Best Buy was charging $50 for the game while Gamestop only $40. I'll wait till it drops in price.

My bad Turtle.

TimeKillr said:
Heh, I didn't know that.

But yeah, whiffing any is bad. :) The rest of the TT info was good though, I hope...
It's legit!
I heard about Heartless (Super) having different damage based on the button pressed before, but I think someone in this thread said it was debunked and they all do the same damage but have the different properties (hit/throw/projectile invulnerability). I'll test damage in attack data within training mode.

psy18 said:
I've been maining Akuma for quite a while now. Any good strategy using him from you guys?

Having big difficulty dealing with Blanka, Boxer, Dictator, Honda. Any good strategy besides using ultra when they charge? (doesn't work for dictator)

Also, is there any other way to combo his ultra/super? I have no problem with ex > ultra/super but it's not very useful against medium or higher skilled player.

Absolutely none. I've been starting to use Akuma recently and getting killed thanks to his low health and my mediocre skills.

Ways I've found to set up the ultra:
1. They jump in, you: d/b MK+LPx2, u/b+LK+HP. The only thing that should come out is the cr. MK, then you will grab them. Only problem is timing so they can't get out. Sometimes the cr. MK will hit, which is annoying.

2. If they whiff a SRK, headbut, HP thunkderknuckle, etc. use F+LP+MPx2, B+LK+HP. This will cause the overhead to come out which has a lot of startup. When you do it fast enough, it doesn't hit, so you don't have to worry about a jab coming out.

3. Zone with fireballs, if you notice them jumping in, buffer the Demon, and hit HP just before they land. Practice the timing in training mode. FMF showed me this one the hard way.

Guessing Demons:

4. If you notice someone spamming a move with a lot of start up consistently (ex. Chun li coming in behind a FB and using st. RH), demon will grab them before it hits if they hit the button before the animation. Credit to Farms again.

5. If you empty jump next to someone and they try to throw before you demon, and you get it out in time, you win!

I wouldn't focus too much on the super. His EX moves are very good and the super doesn't do much damage.

Leunam

_dementia said:
It's legit!
I never knew about Heartless (Super) having different damage based on the button pressed, I'll try that out in attack data in training. I knew about the different properties though.

Pretty sure the damage is the same all around.

psy18

prodystopian said:
Absolutely none. I've been starting to use Akuma recently and getting killed thanks to his low health and my mediocre skills.

Ways I've found to set up the ultra:
1. They jump in, you: d/b MK+LKx2, u/b+LK+HP. The only thing that should come out is the cr. MK, then you will grab them. Only problem is timing so they can't get out. Sometimes the cr. MK will hit, which is annoying.

2. If they whiff a SRK, headbut, HP thunkderknuckle, etc. use F+LP+MPx2, B+LK+HP. This will cause the overhead to come out which has a lot of startup. When you do it fast enough, it doesn't hit, so you don't have to worry about a jab coming out.

I don't understand, isn't Akuma's ultra = lp2x>back>lk>hp?

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
psy18 said:

or maybe I should switch to other character for online? Akuma dies very quickly if I screw up...
I just started this game a few weeks ago and still need adapting my rusty sf2alpha skill...

just learn to time Raging Demon as an anti air. You cant really "combo" into Raging Demon

psy18 said:
I don't understand, isn't Akuma's ultra = lp2x>back>lk>hp?

I edited. The first bold was wrong. You are correct about the ultra requiring lp,lp,back,lk,hp, but you can input the B+LK+HP together and it still comes out. As for the two LP's, you can buffer them with other inputs (the cr. MK or F+MP so that the jabs don't come out, which can cause you to hit your opponent and miss your RD).

The other way to input it is LP~MP~HP, B+LK+HP. This is due to plinking. I have no idea what that means or how it works, but it does.

Leunam said:
Rice-Eater, if you'd like some practice with your Ryu against my Abel, add me. PSN ID: leunam23

Sure, we'll set it up whenever we're both free. I'll warn you though......I forget that I shouldn't fireball when Abel has Ultra only HALF as many times as I use to :p

psy18

prodystopian said:
I edited. The first bold was wrong. You are correct about the ultra requiring lp,lp,back,lk,hp, but you can input the B+LK+HP together and it still comes out. As for the two LP's, you can buffer them with other inputs (the cr. MK or F+MP so that the jabs don't come out, which can cause you to hit your opponent and miss your RD).

The other way to input it is LP~MP~HP, B+LK+HP. This is due to plinking. I have no idea what that means or how it works, but it does.

I see. It's so damn annoying when that happens. Must've cost me a few champhionships. Thanks for the tip.

TimeKillr

FindMyFarms said:
Good stuff. Is killasasa in your local scene? I remember I thought I was playing him(on ur psn) when it was actually spectre lol.

Also that Akuma combo only works on Sagat since he can link the st. lp to st. rh against him. I remember Hsien Chang would do it to me non stop when he was in town :(

I don't think KillaSasa is in MTL. If he is, well.. lol

Spectre and I are supposed to do more stuff with our weekly tournaments too, but the guy who captures the footages never gets it to me on time :(

If we can get it, we'll be doing commentary and overlays and such as well as posting them on Youtube.

TimeKillr said:
Yeah it's pretty crazy with air throwing out of ultras. We tried doing it to Honda's Ultra as well but it seems to have throw invulnerability.

Properties of TT!

All strengths are throw invulnerable. This means they will beat EVERY THROW in the game that isn't throw invulnerable. EX TT is a different story, though.

Jab: Longest range (quite long!), lowest damage
Medium: Medium range, medium damage
Fierce: Shortest range (about the range of a standard throw), highest damage
EX: Jab range, Medium damage, but not throw invulnerable. Rather, it is hit invulnerable.

So you use them in the following order:

Mixups/long range punishes: Jab
Short range punishes: Fierce
Countering anything your opponent throws at you except throws: EX

You know, I might do another video with some of Abel's properties for his moves, since he's quite unique.

For example, his Super has 3 different properties:

Jab: Hit invulnerable, lowest damage
Medium: Throw invulnerable, medium damage
Fierce: Projectile invulnerable, highest damage

Although.. Projectile invulnerability on a very short range super is kinda dumb. The only situation where I found it useful is on wakeup against a Dhalsim who threw out his Ultra and you don't have Ultra yourself.

Abel's f.mk -> dash poke is GODLY. Learn to do c.jabs -> f.mk -> dash -> mixup. It'll improve your game tenfold.

After the dash, you have a LOT of options..

TT, link into fierce, more c.jabs

Only use TT if they block the mk. Link into fierce is hard at first but plinking it makes it MUCH easier. c.jabs are self-explanatory and quite useful to apply more pressure.

_dementia said:

HP - 39 frames
MP - 45 frames
LP - 51 frames
EX - 54 frames

Thanks on the info guys, time to hit some player matches.

Snookie

Does anyone else get really bad lag on the PC version when playing against someone? I played the other night and it happened on every match and its basically unplayable.

Snookie said:
Does anyone else get really bad lag on the PC version when playing against someone? I played the other night and it happened on every match and its basically unplayable.
Not here I get quite good games even at 3 bars, you have any pc programs running in the background?

psy18

Snookie said:

sometimes. even though the connection bar is at 3-4.
but sometimes i only got 2 bars but the match plays smoothly.

I think some people play the game with slow PCs and get bad fps which in turn also forces the other end to match. Even worse sometimes the fps jumps up and down depends on the effects on the screen.

RedAssedApe

Banned
$20 at Gamestop? For any of you still on the fence there is no excuse not to buy SF4 now. I wonder if this is because of the rumored SF4 update announcement that's rumored to happen at SBO?

profit

Finally ordered my TE stick :D. Should be arriving here tomorrow if I have to believe the company that will send it to me.
Right on time for MvsC2!

profit said:
Finally ordered my TE stick :D. Should be arriving here tomorrow if I have to believe the company that will send it to me.
Right on time for MvsC2!

I guess someone didn't fill you in, the TE stick is only compatible with SF4. That why it has the SF4 logo on it.

Just kidding.

profit

black_vegeta said:
I guess someone didn't fill you in, the TE stick is only compatible with SF4. That why it has the SF4 logo on it.

Just kidding.
To be completely honest, when I just read the first sentence, my heart stopped for a second....

Stantron

henhowc said:
$20 at Gamestop? For any of you still on the fence there is no excuse not to buy SF4 now. I wonder if this is because of the rumored SF4 update announcement that's rumored to happen at SBO?
But that would indicate that the next (major?) update would be on disc, replacing the original SFIV. Why would they have a clearance of the current SFIV if the next update was DLC?
Maybe I'm reading too much into it. But I'm really excited about what they might announce. New characters? Tournament Mode?

Stantron said:
But that would indicate that the next (major?) update would be on disc, replacing the original SFIV. Why would they have a clearance of the current SFIV if the next update was DLC?
Maybe I'm reading too much into it. But I'm really excited about what they might announce. New characters? Tournament Mode?
adding T Hawk and Dee Jay and giving Zangief a magnetic projectile

henhowc said:
$20 for a whole week means NEW GAMEZ LOLZ YOU R SO RIGHTZ.

Top Bottom