• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
call the police.
Address ... Spokane, Washington, WA 99208.
tell them to go down the hall to the bathrooom.
my TE stick didn't come today
im soo sorry<3

Rektash

Arde5643 said:
The best way to make any Rog players DC on you is to choose the Seth icon and counterpick any Rog players with Seth.

In all honesty, Seth isn t THAT bad as a matchup. Yes its a chore to get in and you ll most likely loose half of your health until Seth makes his first error but well - you don t need more than one or two chances to absolutly trash him :D. Maybe I haven t faced any good G1 Seths but well at least most of them knew their BnBs. Just play patient like a Saint and Seth will fall sooner or later.

jabipun

The best thing about playing as Ken on G2 is that when I win, 90% of the time I get a message saying:

"Oh my god a good ken for once." (or something to that effect).

It's probably my biggest advantage since nobody takes Ken seriously- I counter Fierce SRK FADC into full Ultra and the other player is so stunned - I can see it in the way the play. (stunned, not literally i.e birdies etc.)

PS: Timedog - what's your GT ?

I want some GAF Ryu's to play/practice against.

Ken's biggest challenges are Sagat and Ryu. Not so much Akuma, since a link-in combo to a EX SRK like 40% damage off him.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Okay, forget my myspace suicide note I wrote earlier. The box with the TE stick was sitting on my doorstep.

I CAN'T DO 2-IN-1'S OR ANY COMBOS REALLY.

I might have to get an octogate, cause this square shit is HARD. Is there any advantage to a square gate?

My GT is: Chickeny Dinner

I'm going to be ass for quite awhile though, I've never really used an arcade stick before.

Shadow780

Timedog said:
Okay, forget my myspace suicide note I wrote earlier. The box with the TE stick was sitting on my doorstep.

I CAN'T DO 2-IN-1'S OR ANY COMBOS REALLY.

I might have to get an octogate, cause this square shit is HARD. Is there any advantage to a square gate?

My GT is: Chickeny Dinner

I'm going to be ass for quite awhile though, I've never really used an arcade stick before.

You can try to get use to it, or just switch to the gate you feel most comfortable with.

I'm a circle gate user originally and I'm fine with a square gate now.

I think for square gate the amount of movement for inputing moves is minimal comparing to other gates.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
welp, I can still SRK FADC ULTRA about 10% of the time on stick. I think if I play a lot I could get pretty used to this in about 2 weeks or so.

Square gate/octagonal gates are also known as restrictor plates. They restrict the movement of the stick. If you move stick around in circle, a square gate will restrict the movement of the stick to a square shape. That is, if you move the joystick around 360 degrees, it will basically "draw" the shape of a square.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Teknopathetic said:
Square gate/octagonal gates are also known as restrictor plates. They restrict the movement of the stick. If you move stick around in circle, a square gate will restrict the movement of the stick to a square shape. That is, if you move the joystick around 360 degrees, it will basically "draw" the shape of a square.

Ooh.. so the TE stick has a circular gate? That black plate under the stick is that? Or did I just get it all wrong? =P I am a stick noob.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Got my TE stick and I can't play on it for shit...and I mean shit. This is the 1st arcade stick I've ever bought and I don't have any experience on it. How the hell are you supposed switch your fingers piano style? I can't even FADC into Ultra at all. :lol

How long do you guys think it'll take for a complete arcade stick noob and I mean complete.

Edit: Nvm...it magically started taunting now wtf.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Teknopathetic said:
No, the TE has a square gate.

American style sticks using Happ parts are usually either Octagonal or "Full 360" aka circular.

http://slagcoin.com/joystick/restrictors.html -- visual aid.

Ooooooh I see. Shit I feel like such a noob. Thanks for the explanation haha. So, what's the preferred gate method... Square? Circular?

Kaako said:
Got my TE stick and I can't play on it for shit...and I mean shit. This is the 1st arcade stick I've ever bought and I don't have any experience on it. How the hell are you supposed switch your fingers piano style? I can't even FADC into Ultra at all. :lol

How long do you guys think it'll take for a complete arcade stick noob and I mean complete.

About 80 matches... I am still getting used hehehe.

"Ooooooh I see. Shit I feel like such a noob. Thanks for the explanation haha. So, what's the preferred gate method... Square? Circular?"

Personal preference. Square is the standard in Japan. In America, a lot of people are used to circular/octagonal because that's what was on most american arcade cabinets but with arcades near dead and a lack of proper american arcade releases, a lot arcades are having to import machines/cabinets that come with square gates. Plus, the TE/SE and HRAPs are the only production run sticks available to consumers and all of them use square gates stock. Some of the longtime competitive players still swear by US style sticks.

Timedog said:
what a square gate is, or the pros cons of a square gate?

Let's see if I can explain this...

Square gate means the plate that surrounds the joystick is shaped as a square. If you notice when you move your joystick along the walls, it's shaped as a square. If you try to do a fireball with the joystick rubbing the wall of the gate, you'll notice that the square gate restricts you from making it a smooth fireball motion because the square has 90 degree corners.

Octagonal/Circle is shaped...same type of "physics" apply as mentioned above.

Pros: A square gate have shorter motions/throws on the joystick. Alot of Japanese/American pro players prefer the square gate because they can do motions quicker. Square gates don't require for a player to add more range to their fireball motions for example.

Cons: It's a pain to get used to.

It all comes down to personal preference.

Hopefully this made some damn sense. Joystick lingo can be a bitch.

Edit: Tekno got most of it.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Relix said:
Ooooooh I see. Shit I feel like such a noob. Thanks for the explanation haha. So, what's the preferred gate method... Square? Circular?
About 80 matches... I am still getting used hehehe.
I think it'll take way more than 80 for me lmao. I was sitting on the ground with the stick and my back is now killing me and my veins on my right hand have popped up. This shit is a workout man.

MIMIC

Banned
I think I was having the best day ever with my Fuerte today. My RSFs exceeded 4 hits most of the time and I was countering the many moves that people use to counter Fuerte; I was playing "smart" instead of just spamming random mixups.

I beat this one guy 7 straight times....and I really think that he could have destroyed me on any other day. I was playing that good :lol With Cammy, he actually did her full 5th hard trial on me. But since I was having such a superb day, it didn't matter :D It was the first time that I actually impressed myself :lol I was feeling bold and strolled over to Championship (I still haven't finished my final from like 2 weeks ago, lol) but none of the connections were good.

It's all downhill from here....

Got my ass handed to me by some fuerte player online.
Fucking tortilla shit's annoying!!!
He would knock me down and from there he would either do:
(1) slide (onto grab if block),
(2) st.rh which, I guess, cannot block while crouching,
(3) splash which I could usually beat with a FA unless it crossups, or
(4) tortilla... honestly don't know what to do here
How the fuck do you get out of that ^^^ (with Rufus)??

This YounFox (XBL) guy perfected me like 3 times and I never got one game out of the whole thing. My Rufus got raped so hard, but on the flip side it made me want to learn Fuerte :D ... with his fucking wakeup guessing game.

Also I've had this game since launch and I still cannot for the life of me decide on a solid main. W.T.F.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Pandaman said:
you didn't happen to double perfect a sak last night with rose, did you? your name seems familiar. :lol

Nah, my gamertag is Twin Twi5t and I haven't played online in SFIV at all this week.

thanks, although I'm not so keen on ending all of my ex tatsu's with the otoshi. saks a character that really needs momentum and a knockdown can rob you of that. depending on knew you time your j.hk you can dash under you opponent so they have to choose which way to block. if they guess wrong, they eat another ex tatsu which i then tack on a otoshi. if you land that mixup correctly, it gets pretty much every character in the game stunned or one to two moves away from stun.

i only ever use the otoshi off the first tatsu if im a mile and a half from a second EX bar.

If you can; get some more matches with better players up. I main 'rog but Sak and Rose are my fallbacks when I want to have some fun. I'd be interested in seeing how you fare.

- don't jump.
- hit confirm more.
- don't randomly throw out moves hoping to catch people.

Yeah, these three things alone will really, really strengthen your game.

BitchTits

Timedog said:
Yes. I think it's harder to use charge characters on an octogate. I put one in my SE stick when I first got it, and switched it back out pretty fast, I much preferred square, I didn't find it any better for circular movements either - but it's all personal preference.

black_vegeta said:
Let's see if I can explain this...

Square gate means the plate that surrounds the joystick is shaped as a square. If you notice when you move your joystick along the walls, it's shaped as a square. If you try to do a fireball with the joystick rubbing the wall of the gate, you'll notice that the square gate restricts you from making it a smooth fireball motion because the square has 90 degree corners.

Octagonal/Circle is shaped...same type of "physics" apply as mentioned above.

Pros: A square gate have shorter motions/throws on the joystick. Alot of Japanese/American pro players prefer the square gate because they can do motions quicker. Square gates don't require for a player to add more range to their fireball motions for example.

Cons: It's a pain to get used to.

It all comes down to personal preference.

Hopefully this made some damn sense. Joystick lingo can be a bitch.

Edit: Tekno got most of it.

hmm... I'm the anomaly, I really stank on the typical American stick, but I started playing much better on a Japanese square gate.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
OmnipotentO said:
Got my ass handed to me by some fuerte player online.
Fucking tortilla shit's annoying!!!
He would knock me down and from there he would either do:
(1) slide (onto grab if block),
(2) st.rh which, I guess, cannot block while crouching,
(3) splash which I could usually beat with a FA unless it crossups, or
(4) tortilla... honestly don't know what to do here
How the fuck do you get out of that ^^^ (with Rufus)??

This YounFox (XBL) guy perfected me like 3 times and I never got one game out of the whole thing. My Rufus got raped so hard, but on the flip side it made me want to learn Fuerte :D ... with his fucking wakeup guessing game.

Also I've had this game since launch and I still cannot for the life of me decide on a solid main. W.T.F.

beating tortilla = neutral jump attack or backdash/foward dash(I dont recommend dashing cuz as a Fuerte player i telegraph them all day and adjust my distance in mid air).

On wake up Rufus can do his SRK move(Snake strike or something) its fast so u can catch Fuerte's rum moves, or Messiah Kick out of there, Messiah beats or goes over Fuerte's Slide.

IMO the only reason Fuerte is not top Tier is cuz of his low health and slow normals. Once he gets you down, its Hell for most characters

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
TurtleSnatcher said:
Sounds like you play PS3 also.

Bought it yesterday for PS3 also. The online community is sparse. I spent about 15 minutes waiting for a match last night. The ones I found in the meanwhile always had issues connecting. Any gafers wanna play let me know I'm usually online 4pm est till maybe 6pm est.

PSN is same as GAF UN.

Dina

I own SF4 on the PC but I also have a X360. I have it on the PC because I like playing with my friends, and they are a PC only crowd. I like it, but I have a pretty crappy keyboard (G15, who would have known :/ )who doesn't always register input (I can't press down, forward and a kick button for example), making SF4 a mixed blessing to play. But buying a stick or keypad just for SF4, which I might not even like much, seems a bit of a waste.

So, are there any sticks/keypads that work with both the PC and the Xbox 360?

Dina said:
I own SF4 on the PC but I also have a X360. I have it on the PC because I like playing with my friends, and they are a PC only crowd. I like it, but I have a pretty crappy keyboard (G15, who would have known :/ )who doesn't always register input (I can't press down, forward and a kick button for example), making SF4 a mixed blessing to play. But buying a stick or keypad just for SF4, which I might not even like much, seems a bit of a waste.

So, are there any sticks/keypads that work with both the PC and the Xbox 360?
they all work as long as they're wired

if you want to use a wireless 360 controller, you'll need the official PC receiver
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HZFCT2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

profit

Timedog said:
welp, I can still SRK FADC ULTRA about 10% of the time on stick. I think if I play a lot I could get pretty used to this in about 2 weeks or so.
Holy sh..... you learn a lot faster then me then :(

Dina

_dementia said:
they all work as long as they're wired

if you want to use a wireless 360 controller, you'll need the official PC receiver

X360 controller isn't really that good for fighters, though. I suppose the Madcatz pad is the best gamepad wise, right? I'd like to use the peripheral for more games besides SF4.

RbBrdMan said:
Bought it yesterday for PS3 also. The online community is sparse. I spent about 15 minutes waiting for a match last night. The ones I found in the meanwhile always had issues connecting. Any gafers wanna play let me know I'm usually online 4pm est till maybe 6pm est.

PSN is same as GAF UN.

It's probably because you are starting in G3. Everyone's in G2 and G1. Then again I don't have the PS3 version, so I don't know. Comp was fine even after the release of Marvel, but I'm in G1 on 360.

LosDaddie

Banned
Brobzoid said:
whhhhhhuuuuuut. I just got online again today after months of being locked away without an ethernet cabel and the online is all but dead? :\

I sit for five minutes in a lobby waiting for someone in Champioship, TEN minutes in Player match and I gave up on Ranked.

;_; what is going on? did everyone skip to PC?

RbBrdMan said:

PSN is same as GAF UN.

YOu guys can add me on PSN if you want. PSN ID: LosDaddie

I typically have no probs finding matches on PSN either ranked or Champ....but Champ is usually faster for me.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Arpharmd B said:
It's probably because you are starting in G3.

Yep I am. Is there an option to allow any matches or do I just have to grind to the next levels?

Also, speaking of options. Is there an option to turn OFF the god awful boy band music that plays in the background. I'm already sick to death of the song and I've owned the game for a day. What was Capcom thinking with that 'song'? :lol

LosDaddie

Banned
RbBrdMan said:
Also, speaking of options. Is there an option to turn OFF the god awful boy band music that plays in the background. I'm already sick to death of the song and I've owned the game for a day. What was Capcom thinking with that 'song'? :lol

Oh yeah:lol Horrible, horrible song Reallly makes me miss the X360's custom soundtrack feature

Wow I got a vid uploaded, and I'm only G2. I only thought it was G1 players but hey. If anyone wants to critique my Ryu (yeah another damn shoto) look up Level 7 Boss replay, not sure if there's a search function.

My fightpad seems to be dying, during the fight you can see me try to SRK -> FADC, and miss a couple of SRK opportunities, but that G2A Rog got beasted.

Level 8 Boss said:
Wow I got a vid uploaded, and I'm only G2. I only thought it was G1 players but hey. If anyone wants to critique my Ryu (yeah another damn shoto) look up Level 7 Boss replay, not sure if there's a search function.

My fightpad seems to be dying, during the fight you can see me try to SRK -> FADC, and miss a couple of SRK opportunities, but that G2A Rog got beasted.
I have no idea how video uploads work. So far I got one after winning my first championship in g2.. and when I won a fight in g3.. Strangly they were both cammy mirror fights =\

DarkAngelYuna said:
I have no idea how video uploads work. So far I got one after winning my first championship in g2.. and when I won a fight in g3.. Strangly they were both cammy mirror fights =\
It's based on how much CP you have. those within the top 5000 CP scores by the end of the tournament can upload

naturally, the more people play, the further deep in GP your opponents must be in order to get a replay, since CP gained is tied to opponents' GP.

Aedile

I switched from playing Gief to a more combo-reliant character recently and I finally understand the complaints I've heard about people mashing against you in block strings. Assuming fallible human reflexes and lag, is it even worth trying to do them? Or is the timing one of those things you get down if you practice long enough? (I'm one of those players who sometimes has trouble even getting a throw off after someone whiffs a SRK and launches into another one immediately afterwards. Perfect block strings are a little beyond my reflexes right now.)

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Okay, so like, the buttons on the TE stick suck really bad IMO. If my finger even grazes a button from the side, a move will come out. It's way too sensitive. Also there's very little spring, and I can't really double tap unless I don't press the button down very hard. Also if I have super and I try to do an ultra, super almost always comes out unless I jam the buttons in really hard for whatever reason.

Top Bottom