• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Aedile said:
I'm not a kneejerk anti-PC guy (more like kneejerk anti-console), but I'd still say PS3 is the version to go with for superior online competition.

And this is based off of...?

Aedile

Timedog said:
And this is based off of...?

Anecdotal evidence! I lose considerably more often on PS3 than I do on PC.

EDIT: Plus, sitting here for the past 15 minutes waiting for a G2 final match opponent, there seems to be more people playing online. At least at this time of night.

Aedile

Timedog said:
Where is 360 in all this?

Don't have one, so I couldn't comment knowledgeably. But unless you want to chalk it up to the work of PS3 partisans, SF4 on XBL's reputation is something along the lines of 'biggest playerbase, lower average player skill.'

Aedile said:
I'm not a kneejerk anti-PC guy (more like kneejerk anti-console), but I'd still say PS3 is the version to go with for superior online competition. Sure, the netcode is inferior, but still less annoying than having to deal with the hardware lag of an opponent on a substandard PC.

My own problem with gauging competition is this: when I was on PS3, 90% of the competition in G2 was shotos, so I learned pretty well how to beat those characters (include Sagat here too). I come to PC and, for the first week, it's all charge characters. I keep getting my ass handed to me and my winrate doesn't break 50% in championship. Then the shotos roll into G2 and now I'm winning more like 70-75% of my matches with some pretty decent win streaks; but I'm still about 50-50 (or worse) against charge characters, and there are some I almost never beat. I'm a lousy player--I rarely do combos or FA and have very slow reflexes--so I know the shotos I'm playing against aren't very good. As for the charge characters, I don't know if they're good players or I just don't see them enough to know what beats their moves. (Being a bad player, I'm not allowed to research matchups.)

I know there are good players on the PC, because some of them are posting in this thread, but do you really think there are many of them? Am I just playing at the wrong times? Are the Blankas that I never beat really that good? :D

I still enjoy my XB360 version as well. I'm not saying PC is the definitive version but it shouldn't be discounted because he hasn't run into many good players. Ive run into quite a few this past week and some SRK people that I've friended off PC that have great chars and I've been enjoying it.

Its also a great option for those with a laggy TV.. (I have a DLP and I can really tell the difference now when playing on my PC monitor as opposed to my DLP w/ my 360).

Ive played some friends PS3 on PSN.. and I can tell you the XB360 has more games that come up in the search results.. a lot more. Not sure if its just a network thing that the PS3 verison just restricts but I've also seen this apparent in peoples videos on YT with the PS3 version.

In regards to competition.. I think they are about on par. I mean PS3 yes is the 'official' Evo system but all the pros have sticks for 360 or PS3 or dual modded most likely.. if not.. then its a good mix at least.

Either way.. you can't go wrong with any version. Just play what you think you will enjoy. PC may be best if you are new just because maybe it has that newer userbase that hasn't had 3 months to play it but at the same time it will mature I'm sure like the rest.

rvy

Banned
For those with the PAL SE, is the cover the same as the normal edition? You know, Ryu and Ken? Or is it the shitty Ryu one with the blue background?

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Shikashi said:
For those with the PAL SE, is the cover the same as the normal edition? You know, Ryu and Ken? Or is it the shitty Ryu one with the blue background?

Its the superb blue one with Ryu, not the shitty one with Ken and Ryu.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
if you dont mind watching really bad players wailing on each other, i've decided to join the legion of youtube SF4 people who want to get better.

so please go simon cowell on my ass:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm--uwuQkZg

I'm the sakura, and my strategy could be summed up as: hit one normal > ex tatsu > j.hk > dash and/or dashunder > c.hp and/or throw > if c.hp then ex tatsu > sakura otoshi

edit: geez. my camera eats through batteries in 480/30fps mode...

also green alt sak = +10 stun on every move.

ArjanN

Aedile said:
Anecdotal evidence! I lose considerably more often on PS3 than I do on PC.

EDIT: Plus, sitting here for the past 15 minutes waiting for a G2 final match opponent, there seems to be more people playing online. At least at this time of night.

I played the PC version pretty much all night long last night, (Man, this game is addicting) and I don't think I ever had to wait more than 10 seconds for a match.

Glad to see more new players. SF4 GET HYPED!!

Do you think they lowered the price to get interest in the game and to spite KOF and Blaz Blue (and possibly Tekken)?

Darkman M

Pandaman said:
if you dont mind watching really bad players wailing on each other, i've decided to join the legion of youtube SF4 people who want to get better.

I'm the sakura, and my strategy could be summed up as: hit one normal > ex tatsu > j.hk > dash and/or dashunder > c.hp and/or throw > if c.hp then ex tatsu > sakura otoshi

Im no Sakura player but you should definitely try to learn block strings she has really good normal moves and her crouching medium punch is great.

Not Sakura but a good tutorial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lYsUZGF3VI

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Pandaman said:

Yeah, that Bison was terrible. You jump way, way too much which leaves you open to being punished which was his worst mistake.

Make sure you hit confirm in to ex tatsu otherwise you are just wasting EX meter. Use the regular if you're looking to pressure and chip damage. Also when you do hit the EX tatsu then follow it up with the f,d,df+kick and the three punches, much better damage and if you've been dishing out the pain it gets you the dizzy far quicker.

The fundamentals are there, but you should really look to be baiting people in to mistakes rather than throwing stuff at them and seeing what sticks. A better player would have eaten you for breakfast.

Sakura is hard to get wins with so if you're sticking with her you need to tighten up your game a lot.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Aedile said:
But unless you want to chalk it up to the work of PS3 partisans, SF4 on XBL's reputation is something along the lines of 'biggest playerbase, lower average player skill.'

not my experience, and i've got it on both consoles -- at least g2 players are quite noticeably better on 360. i don't even have my 360 hooked up at this point, but yeah

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
drohne said:
not my experience, and i've got it on both consoles -- at least g2 players are quite noticeably better on 360. i don't even have my 360 hooked up at this point, but yeah

G2 players on 360 vary from flowcharters to tiny gods. On average I have good to great matches there all the time, it's quite rare to hit either end of the spectrum.

Pandaman said:

I'm no Sakura expert, but you need to work on the fundamentals. You're far to jump happy, and better players will eat you alive with one mis-placed jump in.

Uou can ultra after an ex tatsu, you need to know and be able to exploit all ultra set ups. (Check out Shroyuken forums/challenge mode etc)

Spamming jabs and lights is not good, make sure you hit confirm before going into a combo. If they block, you have a few options. Tick throw, cheeky overhead etc.

When you get better, learn her reset combos.

Edit - Crouching fierce is pretty awesome anti-air.

ShinAmano

Spiderjericho said:
Glad to see more new players. SF4 GET HYPED!!

Do you think they lowered the price to get interest in the game and to spite KOF and Blaz Blue (and possibly Tekken)?
I think even if they did not plan it lowering the price this week was a great move with both KoF12 and MvC2 coming out...

After hearing about MIMIC I have new resolve to finish at least one character completely...

Leunam

GGs to drohne. I feel I should let you know that it was my roommate playing Dan and Fei Long and, well, you saw how that went.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Timedog said:
This is the dumbest shit I've ever seen. It's worse than zangief's zero frame ultra.

Anytime anyone does anything where their feet aren't on the ground you can get free damage if you practice the timing. It's awful.

It does'nt beat everything.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
man I've realised I don't suck as bad as I think, however, it takes me a couple matches to 'learn' a person.

This doesn't go well in championship mode :(

comrade

catfish said:
man I've realised I don't suck as bad as I think, however, it takes me a couple matches to 'learn' a person.

This doesn't go well in championship mode :(
I'm the same way. I get destroyed by stupid stuff learning the persons habits for a few rounds. This is why I like Player Matches.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
comrade said:
I'm the same way. I get destroyed by stupid stuff learning the persons habits for a few rounds. This is why I like Player Matches.

Yeah, I get nearly violent angry from getting beat by a shitty ken scrub who beats me getting in a couple fierce uppercuts, then I play a second ken you I try to monster thinking he's the previous idiot, then that guy has skill and RUINS me..

argh, learning bison is soo frustrating and devastating for my win ratio :lol What's worse is when I switch back to my previous main, blanka, I start trying to do bison combos when I get close now.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
catfish said:
Yeah, I get nearly violent angry from getting beat by a shitty ken scrub who beats me getting in a couple fierce uppercuts, then I play a second ken you I try to monster thinking he's the previous idiot, then that guy has skill and RUINS me..

argh, learning bison is soo frustrating and devastating for my win ratio :lol What's worse is when I switch back to my previous main, blanka, I start trying to do bison combos when I get close now.

I got beat by a fucking Ken that just SRKed me everytime... and i lost! WTF!

Relix said:
I got beat by a fucking Ken that just SRKed me everytime... and i lost! WTF!
blame it on the lah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ag

what is up with Ken's jab srk, often times I trade or even lose with a second one when frying to punish the first :(

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
After I've been playing Marvel on XBL, I tried to come back to SFIV and it feels so weird. It feels slow and very "off"--floaty jumps, slow attack speed, etc. I think I might just stick to Marvel since that's what I'm so used to now.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
_dementia said:

what is up with Ken's jab srk, often times I trade or even lose with a second one when frying to punish the first :(

and me still getting used to the TE stick =(!

_dementia said:

You have to watch out for those Ken/Ryu players who like to spam consecutive jab SRk's. Even to this day, I still fall for that shit because my instinct is to sweep or throw. As a Ryu player I can punish with crouching MK, but normally I resort to waiting for the 2nd SRK and then go for a sweep. But there are those guys who will go for even a 3rd one :lol

Back in my early days I was getting punished by flowchart Ken's because I would mistime my throws after blocking a fierce SRK only to get hit by another one because the other guy is mashing DP the entire way down. I finally broke that habit and will do a more damaging combo instead of normal throw.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
im back on Abel and still very uncomfortable fighting Blanka. Im tired of chasing that ugly fuck, tired of waiting for Ultra gauge, tired of the ball shenanigans...god, retire this stupid character Capcom.

im miss the El Fuerte days of putting Blanka through Hell:lol

question: Ex TT beats shock?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
~Devil Trigger~ said:
im back on Abel and still very uncomfortable fighting Blanka. Im tired of chasing that ugly fuck, tired of waiting for Ultra gauge, tired of the ball shenanigans...god, retire this stupid character Capcom.

im miss the El Fuerte days of putting Blanka through Hell:lol

question: Ex TT beats shock?

Just make abel have an air throw and he wins for free.

GriffD17

Timedog said:
After I've been playing Marvel on XBL, I tried to come back to SFIV and it feels so weird. It feels slow and very "off"--floaty jumps, slow attack speed, etc. I think I might just stick to Marvel since that's what I'm so used to now.

If you stick with Marvel how are you going to be ready for Daigo next summer?

Crystalkoen

STILL having issues with the charge characters, and now Teleport-happy Dhalsims... people play so defensive, and have such safe screen-crossing moves that it pisses me off. Even had one Honda yesterday that just did his command throw everytime I'd get knocked down. Once I started jumping to avoid/punish it, he'd start mixing in a jumping Fierce to knock me down again, rinse repeat. Probably not so bad for any standard Shoto, pain in the ass for Sakura >.>

On the plus side, I rarely lose to said standard Shotos anymore, so I guess it's a trade-off.

I get what you mean, most players are very defensive. If I always have to attack a guy, I actually go out of my way to try and piss them off. Normally I'll go for a lot of cross ups and tick throws if I can. And if they still want to stay on there side, I'll stay on mine and win by time out.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
GriffD17 said:
If you stick with Marvel how are you going to be ready for Daigo next summer?

I'm just saying that now that I started playing Marvel on xbl, I've been away from Street Fighter IV for too long and it just doesn't feel right. I suppose I'll come back to it at some point, but I've been far enough removed from it that it feels like learning a whole new game when I try to get back into playing it.

Recon

Banned
Timedog said:
I'm just saying that now that I started playing Marvel on xbl, I've been away from Street Fighter IV for too long and it just doesn't feel right. I suppose I'll come back to it at some point, but I've been far enough removed from it that it feels like learning a whole new game when I try to get back into playing it.

Didnt Marvel JUST come out today?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
~Devil Trigger~ said:
or

or...

you bait em, they'll jump and grab air, and you have your way with them...

I bet you can sky grab blanka out of his ultra. practice that shit and start sending dudes back to n00b village.

Leunam

Timedog said:
I bet you can sky grab blanka out of his ultra. practice that shit and start sending dudes back to n00b village.

Its been talked about on the Abel subforum on SRK, but from what I remember, the timing is ridiculously strict and it's way too high of a risk compared to the reward.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Timedog said:

You can. I've done it with Chun at least =P. Also, lightning kicks if close can beat it.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Leunam said:
Its been talked about on the Abel subforum on SRK, but from what I remember, the timing is ridiculously strict and it's way too high of a risk compared to the reward.

I've been attempting lately to jab Balrog out of his Ultra. Any time I've done so I've pretty much owned the rest of the match because the guy probably lost his shit. I'm sure the fact that the dude was dumb enough to throw a random ultra from far enough away that I had time to jab cancel it had nothing to do with it!

But either way, if a move is "pimptacular", I'm gonna do it regardless.

Top Bottom