• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Anyone wanna laugh their ass off, send me game invite on PSN. Kaako is psn id.
Edit: ok gibration, going to sleep now as well.

gibration

Kaako I will send you a friend request when I wake up cause im going to sleep right now. I will try to be on PSN all day on Friday so if anyone else wants to play, PSN ID: gibration

Arde5643

catfish said:
baaah my win rate dropped below 50% just lately due to my determination to use bison instead of blanka and play championship mode only.

The road is hard my friends. I think i've won 1 final since I switched to bison. probably about 200 games ago :(

Won't give up till I have equal use on bison as blanka, then I'll assess my suckness again.
Bison is mad solid and has less randomness than Blanka - keep using him as an alternate to Blanka.

He's one of the few charge characters that can keep constant pressure on the opponent - while he doesn't have Boxer's BnB ultra combo or Honda's damage potential, his speed, normals, and fast specials make him a really good pressure character.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Arde5643 said:
Bison is mad solid and has less randomness than Blanka - keep using him as an alternate to Blanka.

He's one of the few charge characters that can keep constant pressure on the opponent - while he doesn't have Boxer's BnB ultra combo or Honda's damage potential, his speed, normals, and fast specials make him a really good pressure character.

just turn on turbo for HK and hold that button down. That normal is nuts.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
TurtleSnatcher said:
That was a really good Abel.. no idea why you are saying you are terrible.

Just work on your links.. you are whiffing headbutt too often.

Thanks, man, I really apprciate that ^____________^

McBradders

profit said:
I cant do it, I just cant....
How do you headbutt into ultra with boxer?

When you headbutt make sure you're pressing the stick to UP AND BACK and move the stick to back or down back before you land, whip the Ultra motion press KKK and hold KKK so most, if not all, the punches land.

Just make sure you're holding back when you headbutt and the rest should flow pretty naturally.

profit

McBradders said:
When you headbutt make sure you're pressing the stick to UP AND BACK and move the stick to back or down back before you land, whip the Ultra motion press KKK and hold KKK so most, if not all, the punches land.

Just make sure you're holding back when you headbutt and the rest should flow pretty naturally.
I'm doing that, I can see it when I turn on the inputs in training mode. for some reason it just doesnt come out.
How long do you have to hold back?

McBradders

profit said:
I'm doing that, I can see it when I turn on the inputs in training mode. for some reason it just doesnt come out.

I have consistency issues, but I would imagine you're doing it too early. You have to wait a beat before doing it. I'm sure there are better boxers here that can tell you what you're doing wrong. I would hazard a guess to try and time it so his feet hit the ground before letting rip.

profit said:

not too long. Basically, you have to hold that charge from the beginning of the headbutt to the ultra. After you do the headbutt, slide the stick back to the non up or down position while still keeping that charge. Very little after you hit the ground, ultra!

Just keep the charge the whole time and you should be fine.

profit

black_vegeta said:
not too long. Basically, you have to hold that charge from the beginning of the headbutt to the ultra. After you do the headbutt, slide the stick back to the non up or down position while still keeping that charge. Very little after you hit the ground, ultra!

Just keep the charge the whole time and you should be fine.
Back to practice mode then I guess...
Stick is hard.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
McBradders said:
I have consistency issues, but I would imagine you're doing it too early. You have to wait a beat before doing it. I'm sure there are better boxers here that can tell you what you're doing wrong. I would hazard a guess to try and time it so his feet hit the ground before letting rip.

You know, when boxer's headbutt puts me way up into the air and It seems like he has forever to land his ultra, i say "man, that's so unfair", but I didn't think about how he needs that time to charge it.

Rektash

Timedog said:
You know, when boxer's headbutt puts me way up into the air and It seems like he has forever to land his ultra, i say "man, that's so unfair", but I didn't think about how he needs that time to charge it.

He doesn t. You usually start backcharging while starting to charge down for the headbutt (thus holding the stick in back-down position). You need the down charge for the headbutt and the back charge for the ultra. Ergo you don t need any additional time to charge for ultra after headbutt.

What I do for Balrogs ultra:

Start to backdown charge. Move from backdown charge to backup to do the headbutt (you need the "up" input to do the headbutt). Now what did we do? We moved from BackDown to BackUp, so the back charge is still active (we only needed the down charge for headbutt) - thats what you ll be using for the ultra after Balrog lands from his headbutt.

profit

Rektash said:
He doesn t. You usually start backcharging while starting to charge down for the headbutt (thus holding the stick in back-down position). You need the down charge for the headbutt and the back charge for the ultra. Ergo you don t need any additional time to charge for ultra after headbutt.

What I do for Balrogs ultra:

Start to backdown charge. Move from backdown charge to backup to do the headbutt (you need the "up" input to do the headbutt). Now what did we do? We moved from BackDown to BackUp, so the back charge is still active (we only needed the down charge for headbutt) - thats what you ll be using for the ultra after Balrog lands from his headbutt.
So after the headbutt, you go to a forward motion? or a backward?

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Kaako said:
Thanks for the tips/info/words of wisdom guys. I'm now taking my losses like a champ with "Legendary Loser" tag and all.
I was really worried yesterday and a bit today that I may never learn how to play on the stick but I feel that I'll eventually get the feel for it some day and that day will be fucking glorious.

dont sweat it man it'll come..the only reason why id stress playing on a stable surface is that when i was learning stick playing it on a stable surface (as opposed to your lap) really made a ton of difference..whenever i had it on my lap i got inconsistent results becasue you dont always sit the same way..the stick can move etc etc....the idea is to basicly use your hand itself ie finger movements to get your motions out and not your arm..there's a bunch of different ways of actualy holding the stick itself..i suggest giving them all a try and see what feels most comfortable to you..there's also quite a few tutorial videos on youtube about how to use sticks.

McBradders

profit said:

You should still be holding back after the headbutt, so just do the normal ultra motion and SHAZAM! It's time to get paid.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
profit said:

i play rog also..this might help...when you do the headbutt..instead of doing it by charging downback and then moving to upback you can try rolling it like a fireball motion..ie downback to back to upback..if you think of it as a fireball motion you wont go past upback to up directly and risk loosing your back charge..once you get it down to the point where you dont loose your back charge you can stop doing it like a fireball..also with charge characters in general i tend to 'flick' the moves and return the stick back to the charge position..example..with rog's dash punch i would charge downback 'flick' the stick foward press punch and bring the stick back in one motion..as far as connecting the ultra after the headbutt..practice doing just the headbutt then ultra without a combo..if youre not getting it try doing headbutt then dash punch to make sure youre retaining charge..you should start doing the motion for the ultra once you see rog is back on the ground..at first it'll seem like a tight window but you have more time to do it then you might think

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
profit said:
Back to practice mode then I guess...
Stick is hard.
It took me a month to get used with sticks with shotos.

Five minutes with charge characters. God, charge characters are really terrible on pad.

profit

I did it!!!!
But it whiffed....
Still, now I know how to do it.

I can get it to hit now, but only one hit... guess I need to improve on my timing?

McBradders

profit said:
I did it!!!!
But it whiffed....

I can get it to hit now, but only one hit... guess I need to improve on my timing?

Only one hit? Hold down KKK when it starts, you need to be uppercutting.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
profit said:
I did it!!!!
But it whiffed....

*edit* beaten to it

first hit has to be an uppercutt (hold kick)..second hit has to be a straight and it will whiff (release kick) then hold kick for the rest of the ultra (all uppercuts) and they'll all hit

TimeKillr

McBradders said:
Only one hit? Hold down KKK when it starts, you need to be uppercutting.

You're not telling him everything! :)

It's Ultra -> Hold KKK (first punch) -> release KKK (second punch) -> hold KKK (rest of ultra) :)

catfish said:
baaah my win rate dropped below 50% just lately due to my determination to use bison instead of blanka and play championship mode only.

The road is hard my friends. I think i've won 1 final since I switched to bison. probably about 200 games ago :(

Won't give up till I have equal use on bison as blanka, then I'll assess my suckness again.

I'm in the same boat. I've barely won a match since switching to Akuma. I'm getting better slowly, but he has so many options, I just get overwhelmed sometimes.

Natural

Been playing as Viper for a few days now and I am finally starting to get used to her and how she plays. Just need to work on getting some of her combos down and perfecting her Seismic Hammer into SJC Burning Kick.

But my lord it's a frustrating process.

I'll get there in the end though (I hope).

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
prodystopian said:
I'm in the same boat. I've barely won a match since switching to Akuma. I'm getting better slowly, but he has so many options, I just get overwhelmed sometimes.

yeah, I can sometimes get a near perfect on the dude, but second and third round I get 'figured out' quite badly at this point. Also, blankas got a confusing ultra, which despite what people say about being 'easy' to block, I hit that a shit load in game.

With bison, his ultra is as useful as an asshole on an elbow, I only ever hit it off a shitty jump in from an already hopeless opponent, so yeah, against good players :/ never landed the jumping double mid punch into ultra. shame. Quite often get comeback ultra'd (fuck you abel and ryu/sagat!)

I hate losing to abel with crossup jump uppercut elbow thing -> ultra.

Gr1mLock said:
i play rog also..this might help...when you do the headbutt..instead of doing it by charging downback and then moving to upback you can try rolling it like a fireball motion..ie downback to back to upback..if you think of it as a fireball motion you wont go past upback to up directly and risk loosing your back charge..once you get it down to the point where you dont loose your back charge you can stop doing it like a fireball..also with charge characters in general i tend to 'flick' the moves and return the stick back to the charge position..example..with rog's dash punch i would charge downback 'flick' the stick foward press punch and bring the stick back in one motion..as far as connecting the ultra after the headbutt..practice doing just the headbutt then ultra without a combo..if youre not getting it try doing headbutt then dash punch to make sure youre retaining charge..you should start doing the motion for the ultra once you see rog is back on the ground..at first it'll seem like a tight window but you have more time to do it then you might think

Agreed, this is especially easy with a square gate joystick as you can really feel the "upback" corner. J.HP/J.HK followed by combo followed by headbutt juggle into ultra is one of the easier and flashier combos to do(maybe its just me).

YakiSOBA

Can anyone pass me some basic tips for ryu vs guile matchup, I'm having difficulty with sonic boom/flashkick/jabbing/cr. hardkick spamming guiles

LakeEarth

black_vegeta said:
GG's LakeEarth!!

Those random picks were serious business...2 damn Ken's in a row! :lol

Tried to flowchart my way to victory.
Ahh okay, now I know which Gaffer you were, couldn't remember. GG, I just couldn't get my Sakura to work against you. The randoms were fun, but yeah you SRKed to your doom.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
YakiSOBA said:
Can anyone pass me some basic tips for ryu vs guile matchup, I'm having difficulty with sonic boom/flashkick/jabbing/cr. hardkick spamming guiles

but thats ALL of Guile's moves :lol

Leunam

YakiSOBA said:

Focus the second hit of the cr.HK.

YakiSOBA said:

As a Ryu player, I suck at this match up to because almost everybody who plays Guile is at my level or higher. Basically if I can score a knockdown then I go for cross ups because Guile doesn't really have a good answer for that. I'll follow with tick throws if he blocks the cross ups.

But when I can't close the distance I'll do what many Guile players have done to me, which is turtle them to death. Keep chucking fireballs and he won't be able to match them. Smart Guile players will try to avoid jumping in on you and instead try to push you to the corner. When that happens, air hurricane out of the corner and keep repeating until he loses his patience or time runs out.

To be honest, I haven't actually done a good job of sticking to the game plan but at least I have something to work with :lol

Arde5643

Rice-Eater said:
But when I can't close the distance I'll do what many Guile players have done to me, which is turtle them to death. Keep chucking fireballs and he won't be able to match them. Smart Guile players will try to avoid jumping in on you and instead try to push you to the corner. When that happens, air hurricane out of the corner and keep repeating until he loses his patience or time runs out.
Don't be predictable with air tatsus - Guile's air throw is the best in the game, he can grab you from almost 2 characters away.

If a Guile is spamming sweeps at you, he's doing you a favor. SRK him in between his sweeps.

He can't keep up with more than 2 of your FB's in a row iirc.

It's a matchup of patience, he's going to try to close the distance, and use his slightly faster FB recovery to hit you (after both of your FBs cancel each others) with a normal if you don't use another quick enough follow up.

He'll try to frustrate you into jumping at him (which is nearly as bad as jumping at Ryu, which I love to do :( )

Stay out of corners, put him there (he doesn't have a special way out) and cross him up (again, nothing he can really do).

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I unashamedly turtle vs guile these days. I hate that boring ass character :(

it's like trying to beat up on a scary rock. I usually try and get a life lead then get back and make him come to me. But I don't play shotos, which sucks a bit as bison and blanka have no fireball to shoot back at him.

If you ryu, out fireball him and make him come forward.

for the double roundhouse, you can focus attack the second one, make sure to DC out of it as soon as it hit's as you're not getting crumple though. if you dash forward you might eat a flash kick as well. always dash back.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Gr1mLock said:
dont sweat it man it'll come..the only reason why id stress playing on a stable surface is that when i was learning stick playing it on a stable surface (as opposed to your lap) really made a ton of difference..whenever i had it on my lap i got inconsistent results becasue you dont always sit the same way..the stick can move etc etc....the idea is to basicly use your hand itself ie finger movements to get your motions out and not your arm..there's a bunch of different ways of actualy holding the stick itself..i suggest giving them all a try and see what feels most comfortable to you..there's also quite a few tutorial videos on youtube about how to use sticks.
I used this site for some stick holding methods lol:

http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2009/jul/08/tips-switching-pad-joystick/

Also, I sit on a chair with another chair in front of me with the stick on it...pretty comfortable.

GriffD17

I never know what I'm getting into when I start up the game.

I made it to G2 the other day, and my first matches there I made it to the championship. And then today I just have a string of losses. Poo.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
JEKKI said:
ppl always stress how to hold the joystick...

how come nobody ever discusses how to press buttons?!?!
Dunno but I was reading SRK forums and they do discuss it to some extent. I'm still having a bit of trouble switching from the top row to bottom row consistently and usually I alternate between first 3 buttons to last 3 buttons depending if I have ultra or not. Just booting up today, I feel that I'm a bit more comfortable with it than I was yesterday. Guess that's the muscle memory going to work.

LakeEarth said:
Ahh okay, now I know which Gaffer you were, couldn't remember. GG, I just couldn't get my Sakura to work against you. The randoms were fun, but yeah you SRKed to your doom.

Your Abel was a pain, my Dictator doesn't do to well against Abel.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
black_vegeta said:
Your Abel was a pain, my Dictator doesn't do to well against Abel.
It took me an ALARMING amount of time to realise you could throw abel out of his roll. Infact it took me a long time of complaining about abel for a gaffer to just tell me to do that :lol

Top Bottom