• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

MIMIC

Banned
Arde5643 said:
He was being aggressive, which is correct against Fuerte - just not the right way of being aggressive: lack of air throws and lack of middle range sonic booms.

He's got the right idea though.

If he zones too much, I'll just splash/fajita all day. And like you said with the air throws, I'd just wall jump splash him.

I've never seen a "successful" air throw campaign against a good Fuerte.

Here's another :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1Rm1teSwC4

gibration

Arde5643 said:
Trust me, a decent Fuerte can make a decent Guile look horrible.
Well of course but if you are telling me that the Guile player from that vid had the right idea of knowing how to apply pressure to Fuerte you must not know much about this match up or Guile. Going up against Fuerte requires him to turtle, jump a lot, and throw sonic booms at the right time. Looking at that vid that Guile player did neither one of those, as of matter of fact he was throwing random moves that had no thought put into em.

MIMIC

Banned
gibration said:
Well of course but if you are telling me that the Guile player from that vid had the right idea of knowing how to apply pressure to Fuerte you must not know much about this match up or Guile. Going up against Fuerte requires him to turtle, jump a lot, and throw sonic booms at the right time. Looking at that vid that Guile player did neither one of those, as of matter of fact he was throwing random moves that had no thought put into em.

That's pretty much the only successful way to beat Fuerte. I've played dozens of Guile's like that. And the turtle Guile's I played SUCKED compared to the one I played in the video...and they beat me. So annoying. :lol But all I need to do is get in ONCE and I will unleash a mixup game like never before *evil grin*

I usually resort to baiting a flash kick for turtles. All I have to do is fake a couple of runs. And if I have EX, I'll run right through a sonic boom.

Arde5643

gibration said:
Actually, going against Fuerte requires him to always keep a sonic boom charge at all times as a decent shield for wall-jumps and deterrent for Fuerte running towards Guile from close range.
Guile's air throw is just too damn good - if he times his jumps right, he can airthrow Fuerte out of his tostada splash wall jump.

If the Guile just keeps backing up, that's what Fuerte wants since it's easier to bypass Guile's sonic booms in this match if Guile's at the corner.

There are some mistakes the Guile player did against Fuerte:
1) The Guile player actually walked towards to Fuerte after a sonic boom instead of using his knee to move forward to keep his charge.
2) blocked splashes should be punished with cr.HK.
3) Not sure why he jumped in so much against Fuerte - jumping back and jumping neutral I can understand.

gibration

Arde5643 said:
Actually, going against Fuerte requires him to always keep a sonic boom charge at all times as a decent shield for wall-jumps and deterrent for Fuerte running towards Guile from close range.
Guile's air throw is just too damn good - if he times his jumps right, he can airthrow Fuerte out of his tostada splash wall jump.

If the Guile just keeps backing up, that's what Fuerte wants since it's easier to bypass Guile's sonic booms in this match if Guile's at the corner.

There are some mistakes the Guile player did against Fuerte:
1) The Guile player actually walked towards to Fuerte after a sonic boom instead of using his knee to move forward to keep his charge.
2) blocked splashes should be punished with cr.HK.
3) Not sure why he jumped in so much against Fuerte - jumping back and jumping neutral I can understand.
Exactly my point.

MIMIC

Banned
Speaking of bad match-ups, what do you guys think is the WORST match-up of them all?

I used to main Blanka and the Balrog match-up was hell. It's worse than the Fuerte-Honda match-up, IMO

Imm0rt4l

MIMIC said:
Speaking of bad match-ups, what do you guys think is the WORST match-up of them all?

I used to main Blanka and the Balrog match-up was hell. It's worse than the Fuerte-Honda match-up, IMO
Seth vs Gief is like 7-3 iirc

I play as Gouken and he has a hard time against fuerte. I've never lost to a gouken as fuerte. As gouken, balrog,blanka bison and abel can be a little rough for me.

Arde5643

MIMIC said:

Fuerte - Honda isn't too bad actually. It's a pretty even match-up with the winner being the one with the more careful and smarter gameplan.

I think you're thinking of Fuerte - Akuma. Probably Fuerte's hardest match-up besides Dictator.

In terms of bad match-ups, you probably can't go worse than Gief vs Sagat. Sagat's far s.HK pretty much destroys anything Gief can do.

MIMIC said:
If he zones too much, I'll just splash/fajita all day. And like you said with the air throws, I'd just wall jump splash him.

I've never seen a "successful" air throw campaign against a good Fuerte.

Here's another :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1Rm1teSwC4

If a Guile is not providing a 'successful' air throw campaign agst a Fuerte then they probably aren't very good with Guile. Not to mention like Arde mention the lack of spacing with Sonic Booms etc was mind boggling. Sonic Boom has really good recovery. He kind of got the pressure right.. but not really. He has to be much more aggressive.

MIMIC said:

Plenty..

Seth vs Gief
Sagat vs Gief

Blanka/Honda vs Fuerte - Arde I agree that you can win the Honda match up being smart but you can win any matchup doing that.. No doubt about it - Honda just has lots of zoning tools to keep Fuerte at bay

Cammy vs Boxer - She actually struggles agst Honda too.. Just charge chars and lack of overhead kills.

Vega vs Blanka

etc... etc..

I agree with Arde on Akuma and Bison too for Fuerte

Kaako

Felium Defensor
gibration said:
Who exactly is your main or what character do you want to be your main?
I played Sagat mostly on 360 (shock-n-awe) but I'm mainly a shoto user, so either him or Ryu would do. Also, noticed "Arcade Infinity" on your comment. You play there?

Cammy vs Rog isn't that bad, I honestly don't see what the problem is. Smarter FA use and scoring knockdowns is the key. Definitely not as bad as anybody thinks.

A Honda is MUCH worse. As is Gief.

But I think Seth-Gief is the worst matchup in the whole game. Honestly, what can he do but hope that the Seth messes up a lot?

Guile-Fuerte is 5-5 IMO, you just have to be willing to not sit on your charge because once Fuerte gets a single knockdown, you better be a damn good gambling man.

And FMF is right about Ryu-Guile, basically everything he said is what's to be expected out of the matchup. I know from personal experience against him :lol

Xevren

Kaako said:
I played Sagat mostly on 360 (shock-n-awe) but I'm mainly a shoto user, so either him or Ryu would do. Also, noticed "Arcade Infinity" on your comment. You play there?

Do you play on the 360 for SF 4 anymore? I look for you but never see you on it.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Xevren said:
Do you play on the 360 for SF 4 anymore? I look for you but never see you on it.
Nope...live ran out and don't feel like renewing. So I got PS3 version and TE stick for it. You have PS3 version?

Edit:
Xevren said:
I don't even have a PS3.
:(

Saya

Got the game yesterday and I think I must be the world's worst SFIV player. I cannot beat Zangief with Ryu on medium in arcade mode... he is kicking my ass so hard. I tried for half an hour and gave up! I'm horrible and really in need of some practice haha. I also have to get used to the controls.

Are those Mad Catz fightpads any good? I'm thinking about getting one of those, because the regular 360 controller doesn't feel right for fighting games. Or should I go for a stick? But the problem is I never played with a stick before...

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Hadnt played in about 4 or 5 months, ShotoXavi invited me so I was like "why not" since we were pretty much 50-50 when I stopped playing.

Itd didnt go so well lol, Im out of practice! I still have the basics down (cause those dont go away, really), but damn, I got owned

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Saya said:
Got the game yesterday and I think I must be the world's worst SFIV player. I cannot beat Zangief with Ryu on medium in arcade mode... he is kicking my ass so hard. I tried for half an hour and gave up! I'm horrible and really in need of some practice haha. I also have to get used to the controls.

Are those Mad Catz fightpads any good? I'm thinking about getting one of those, because the regular 360 controller doesn't feel right for fighting games. Or should I go for a stick? But the problem is I never played with a stick before...

Some tips to fight against Gief AI. Always remember you can back dash (Double tap Back.) to escape from SPD attempts or you can simply just jump up to avoid sloppy SPD attempts or Ultras'. Ryu's standing HK is a great tool to stop Gief from jumping in as he likes. And, lastly just keep playing and you'll get better. :)

Sorry can't help you with the Fightpads, though I have seen reports on SRK regrading the gel pads inside breaking easily.

Raging Spaniard said:
Hadnt played in about 4 or 5 months, ShotoXavi invited me so I was like "why not" since we were pretty much 50-50 when I stopped playing.

Itd didnt go so well lol, Im out of practice! I still have the basics down (cause those dont go away, really), but damn, I got owned

I'm new here but have been a loooooooong time lurker, just got activated recently.

Welcome back.

kitzkozan

Raging Spaniard said:

Haunt should be unbanned soon as well. :D

Although he probably won't post anytime soon since I think he's going to Japan for SBO.

Looking at a thread on SRK,it seems like there's A LOT of north americans going to SBO this year to participate or just watch.

Oh man I hope they can somehow stream SBO for us to watch. SBO is single elimination, so if the do stream it then the SF4 section will probably only last 4-6 hours I guess. So it's not like some kind of pain in the ass 3 day event like Evo, hopefully the Japanese will do it. If not then maybe the Americans there can get the Tougeki guys to allow them to do it so us guys back home in the States can watch.

SBO has had a stream for the past few years. The problem is the streams have become more and more restricted. Like you see a couple matches then they don't show any stage matches at all because they save that for the DVD. (I believe this was the case last year)

The *good* news is that Gods Garden is next week and that will be streamed and zomg it'll probably be amazing.

Rice-Eater said:
Oh man I hope they can somehow stream SBO for us to watch. SBO is single elimination, so if the do stream it then the SF4 section will probably only last 4-6 hours I guess. So it's not like some kind of pain in the ass 3 day event like Evo, hopefully the Japanese will do it. If not then maybe the Americans there can get the Tougeki guys to allow them to do it so us guys back home in the States can watch.

Hopefully whoever runs SBO didn't strike a deal a website, so they can uploaded to NicoNico/YouTube and stay there for everyone to see!!!

When is SBO??

Ledsen

black_vegeta said:
Hopefully whoever runs SBO didn't strike a deal a website, so they can uploaded to NicoNico/YouTube and stay there for everyone to see!!!

When is SBO??

The SF4 finals are on the 14th. I'll be there :D

kitzkozan said:
Haunt should be unbanned soon as well. :D

Although he probably won't post anytime soon since I think he's going to Japan for SBO.

Looking at a thread on SRK,it seems like there's A LOT of north americans going to SBO this year to participate or just watch.

Which thread? I was looking for one about SBO but couldn't find it.

Oh man that would suck not getting a stream. And I won't be too thrilled about paying $40+ for the eventual SF4 DVD, but I might just do it. It's like the Gamestop Nationals all over again, mega hype everywhere but instead of watching it live, we can only read about the results after its finished :(

kitzkozan

Rice-Eater said:

I already brought the link. :p

But yes,this is the first time I actually care about SBO and I've been a member on SRK for a couple of years. :lol Damn,why did Capcom decided to wait 10 years to release IV. :p

Hey,you are just like me. :lol You use the same username on Gaf and SRK like I do. :lol I wonder how many SRK members did join Gaf this year?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Had my first ever double-KO final round in a championship match; I was Chun and the other player was dictator. We were a pretty even match for each other and it went back and forth, with the final round being slow and plodding, and full of mind games, but in a good way. The guy sent me a friend request afterward, telling me it was his first double KO ending too. :lol

Playing so much BlazBlue and KOF XII, and then taking a bit of a break from games (school started back up) has really thrown my game off. :/ I'm trying to get back into the swing of things again. Got my ass handed to me in BlazBlue tonight, too.

Courtesy of Oichi/Reno:

I've actually written about it here: http://www.versuscity.net/2009/07/24...pre-sale-info/

This time around, Daigo had to face Mago, Nuki, Nemo, Iyo and Shiro. The matches were apparently recorded in June, so this is way before Evo 2009, but the matches were still excellent. I got the magazine this morning and took a look at the DVD, and it's pretty good! You can find the issue on Play-Asia (http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-...a-70-3gg1.html) now if you want it. There's a lot of other content on the DVD, including Sangokushi Taisen, KOF2002 UM, DaemonBride and more.

Anyway, here are the results of the Kumite:

Daigo vs Mago: 2 - 0 for Daigo. The third match seemingly ended in a draw, although I don't know because they only show one match per player

Daigo vs Iyo: 2 - 1

Daigo vs Nuki: 2 - 1

Daigo vs Nemo: 2 - 1

Daigo vs Shiro: 1 - 2

I watched the matches just now. Daigo is a beast. Right now, there is no question that he's the top player in the world. But...the competition is pretty fierce (Wong coming close, Arturo and Heart beating him in the money matches and Shiro).

Daigo's link game is insane. I didn't even know you could do two low strongs into low fierce to hurricane.

kitzkozan said:
Hey,you are just like me. :lol You use the same username on Gaf and SRK like I do. :lol I wonder how many SRK members did join Gaf this year?

It's actually reversed, well sort of. I've been a GAF'er for years, and have been lurking the SRK forums since the famous Daigo comeback video. But I never made a account and just lurked from time to time. SF4 really sucked me back in and made me want to participate in the community there.

I kind of wished I just made a account years ago so I wouldn't have the 09 stigma that many else have after creating a account just for SF4. And yeah, damn you Capcom for waiting so long. We were always there, you just had to make the game and we will come. NAO KEEP MAKING THEM, I want a update already :D

Lyte Edge

One of my friends (he used to be pretty infamous on this forum) saw the final video of Daigo vs. Wong from EVO and proclaimed that he could not only take on BOTH of them, but also that "[Daigo] didn't do anything special. He's no doubt very good, but once you reach a certain point with SF4 you really don't get much higher and then all experts are about as good as each other. That's not a bad thing, I'm just saying I could take on the champ and play a good game against him." :lol

This was then followed by a visual representation:

Your skill chart:
-------------
My skill chart:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Diago's [sic] skill chart:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:lol :lol :lol :lol

This guy can't even beat arcade mode on normal and has yet to unlock all the characters, five+ months later.

Spiderjericho said:
Daigo's link game is insane. I didn't even know you could do two low strongs into low fierce to hurricane.

That one blew me away, he did almost 50% damage with no Ultra, Super, or EX. But yeah, if you have to name a #1 guy right now I think it should be Daigo. Of course he loses, but I haven't seen anyone else facing more top players and showing great consistency like he has. And yeah my source is youtube, don't hate :p

Oh and the matches can be found here

http://www.youtube.com/user/eririn88#play/all/uploads-all/2/LoDDZzGHb2o

Lyte Edge: Tell your buddy to go to Evo next year and money match Daigo :lol

Lyte Edge

Rice-Eater said:
Lyte Edge: Tell your buddy to go to Evo next year and money match Daigo :lol

He's never played in a tournament in his life, and there's no way he'd place anywhere but at the very bottom. :lol I made a small tournament on another forum that he took part in, and he got knocked the fuck out of there pretty quickly. But the shit-talking continues! Always a fun guy to play against and beat down!

kitzkozan

Lyte Edge said:
One of my friends (he used to be pretty infamous on this forum) saw the final video of Daigo vs. Wong from EVO and proclaimed that he could not only take on BOTH of them, but also that "[Daigo] didn't do anything special. He's no doubt very good, but once you reach a certain point with SF4 you really don't get much higher and then all experts are about as good as each other. That's not a bad thing, I'm just saying I could take on the champ and play a good game against him." :lol

This was then followed by a visual representation:

:lol :lol :lol :lol

This guy can't even beat arcade mode on normal and has yet to unlock all the characters, five+ months later.

That's because SF IV is a typical SF game where spacing and footsies are crucial.

The top players do not win with monstrous rushdown and combos like in Blazblue or GG or MvC 2.It doesn't look all that impressive,but they win thanks to elite reaction time and near flawless spacing.Most people playing SF IV are clueless to spacing,zoning and footsies.Let's not even talk about mindgames and the art of baiting or psychic moves. :p

Your friend would be destroyed for free by Wong into his next life. :lol :lol

Nemesis_

I've been playing BlazBlue, Marvel vs Capcom 2 and King of Fighters 98 religiously, and just recently returned to Street Fighter.

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Anyone else have this with fighting games? Any....errr....strategies on how to avoid this? It's so hard to stay proficient at games with such different systems.

kitzkozan

Nemesis556 said:
I've been playing BlazBlue, Marvel vs Capcom 2 and King of Fighters 98 religiously, and just recently returned to Street Fighter.

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Anyone else have this with fighting games? Any....errr....strategies on how to avoid this? It's so hard to stay proficient at games with such different systems.

It's usually best to focus on 1-2 fighting game at a time,otherwise it's difficult to maintain momentum.

Unless of course you just play SF games or ASW or 3D ones.Food for thoughts: in the history of EVO,only 2 players ended up first place in 2 different games in the same year(John Choi and Daigo Umehara).

Just one of the downfall of enjoying one of the most time consuming and skill demanding genre out there. :p

Nemesis_

kitzkozan said:
It's usually best to focus on 1-2 fighting game at a time,otherwise it's difficult to maintain momentum.

Unless of course you just play SF games or ASW or 3D ones.Food for thoughts: in the history of EVO,only 2 players ended up first place in 2 different games in the same year(John Choi and Daigo Umehara).

Just one of the downfall of enjoying one of the most time consuming and skill demanding genre out there. :p

Yeah, but I love all my fighting games. :'(

I think the shitty cheesy saying "Jack of all trades, master of none" definitely applies here.

kitzkozan

Nemesis556 said:
Yeah, but I love all my fighting games. :'(

I think the shitty cheesy saying "Jack of all trades, master of none" definitely applies here.

Lol yep,unless of course you are Justin Wong or something. :p

The guy could beast us for free with Ken even if he played the guy 1 or 2 time max.Wong could stop playing IV for 6 months and beast us.

I also enjoy a lot of fighting game,but I play them in block.2 months of x and y and I switch 2 months to z and whatever. :p

It's not like fps where you could hop from one to another with minimal adaptation time or rust.

i think the ryu-spam has gotten ridiculous. no matter if you play G1 or random player matches, he's everywhere.

it's depressing if you check your progress in championship and all you see is a full line of ryu. and some people have the nerve to gold-plate their icon with the ryu-head.....

nobody deserves this.

Nemesis_

By the end of the month, I'll be frequenting Street Fighter IV, King of Fighters XII, BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger and Marvel vs Capcom 2.

MvsC2 and BlazBlue are pretty safe to play by themselves, because BlazBlue is on PS3 and I play hardly any games on the PS3, while Marvel is a bit of a more different games compared to the others.

It's just adapting back to Street FIghter and KoF that should be hard.

Top Bottom