• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

FINALLY!!!

With my Dictator, I'm consistently able to jump MPx2 then ULLLLLLTTTTTTRRRAA!!! Feels so good! I was able to pull it off in traning mode all day, but with the added stress of actual competetion it's a little different. These jump happy scrubs are getting served!

"this place shall become your grave!!!" :D

gibration said:
How do I join the Gaf Chat for PSN?

Add me PSN - FindMyFarms and make sure to mention gaf sf4 chat in the message

On Ryu Vs Guile, this matchup is in Ryu's favor by far. Throw fireballs, lots of em, but not close enough where you can get smacked by his st. fp. SRK between the 1st and 2nd hit of the sweep. Also, a lot of guile's like to do a LP sonic boom, then walk up and do a fierce (or other poke) right afterwards in hopes that you're doing something, if they get predictable w/ this, you srk punish right after the boom. If you have ultra, even better.

Make him jump at you with your FB's and make sure you stay grounded as his AA's have a lot of priority. Also if he corners you, don't immediately go for air tatsu escape, wait it out a bit and then do it when he isn't expecting it.

Jinjo

So this just arrived in the mail today after I ordered it in a clearance sale for 25 euros. This together with Marvel vs. Capcom 2 should settle my fighting game needs for a while. Now I have to juggle my time between both of them though. :lol

I'm also having a little bit of trouble. I decided to give C.Viper a go from the beginning and I like her, so after getting down the basics of executing her specials I went into challenge mode. First few went fine, but it then asked me to do a crouching medium kick into her medium thunder knuckle. I can execute the moves one after another quite easily (and they hit too), but the game is not registering it as a complete combo. Am I just too slow with my inputs after the first move or what?

Jinjo said:
So this just arrived in the mail today after I ordered it in a clearance sale for 25 euros. This together with Marvel vs. Capcom 2 should settle my fighting game needs for a while. Now I have to juggle my time between both of them though. :lol

I'm also having a little bit of trouble. I decided to give C.Viper a go from the beginning and I like her, so after getting down the basics of executing her specials I went into challenge mode. First few went fine, but it then asked me to do a crouching medium kick into her medium thunder knuckle. I can execute the moves one after another quite easily (and they hit too), but the game is not registering it as a complete combo. Am I just too slow with my inputs after the first move or what?
sounds like it. Buffer the QCB command during the cr.MK

catfish said:
It took me an ALARMING amount of time to realise you could throw abel out of his roll. Infact it took me a long time of complaining about abel for a gaffer to just tell me to do that :lol

His roll isn't really the problem. It's those damn crossups, and throws!! When an Abel does lk, lk, fwd mk, dash in, throw...it's gets me majority of the time. I sit there having to block the whole time. When I have a window of opportunity to counter, I get jabbed or low-kicked to death.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Kept getting disconnects in middle of PSN matches and I didn't know why the hell anyone would disconnect against me. Then I found out it was my laptop ip conflicting with my PS3. I feel bad now cause they probably thought I was disconnecting on purpose. :(
It should be fixed now so if anyone is up to PSN matches, hit me up. Kaako is my psn id.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
FA'ing between Guiles sweeps is a bad idea. SRK'ing between his sweeps is a good idea.

Any tips for someone who just bought the game and is a 3rd strike Yun player?

FindMyFarms said:
Add me PSN - FindMyFarms and make sure to mention gaf sf4 chat in the message

I am going to update and start playing the PS3 version again. I always stuck with the 360. But after reaching G1 (laggy as hell), and boring player matches...I think i will start anew on the PS3 and play more GAFers (and get my ass kicked :lol )

TimeKillr

black_vegeta said:
His roll isn't really the problem. It's those damn crossups, and throws!! When an Abel does lk, lk, fwd mk, dash in, throw...it's gets me majority of the time. I sit there having to block the whole time. When I have a window of opportunity to counter, I get jabbed or low-kicked to death.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!

Easy Abel counter:
Neutral Jump.

That is all. :)

Against a TT-happy Abel, you'll find it makes a world of difference.

decon

gibration said:
How do I join the Gaf Chat for PSN?
You need to be invited. Not all that many dudes using it though. I guess people forget to join the chat when they played. I would help a lot if you could just auto join rooms on sign-in. PM your PSN id and I'll invite you.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Timedog said:
I hate playing as Rufus. He's too fat.
Then there is no Yun in IV.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Timedog said:
FA'ing between Guiles sweeps is a bad idea. SRK'ing between his sweeps is a good idea.

well do you want something close to the yun experience or something far from it? cuz Rufus is a fat Yun kinda. Akuma might fit you too.

qcf x2

You didn't just buy the game, I thought you were asking for a friend or something. :p In which case my second suggestion would've been Seth.

Jenga

Banned
Man, it annoys the fuck out of me when I can get accused of mashing ultra. I play on a damn 360 analog stick, half the time I try to do an Ultra, I do something else.

And since I'm Abel, it always results in a whiffed Falling Sky. I lost count of the multiple times I've reacted to a overhead with a mistaken Ultra. And then I get accused of mashing ultra. Urghh...

Arde5643

Jenga said:
Man, it annoys the fuck out of me when I can get accused of mashing ultra. I play on a damn 360 analog stick, half the time I try to do an Ultra, I do something else.

And since I'm Abel, it always results in a whiffed Falling Sky. I lost count of the multiple times I've reacted to a overhead with a mistaken Ultra. And then I get accused of mashing ultra. Urghh...
Stop playing against scrubs.
Scrubs blame other people, actual players blame themselves for falling into a random ultra. :lol

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
thanks for the matches last night bob white, thats a really scary Viper you have there. :D half the time i was just hoping to hit you once to prevent a perfect.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
gibration said:
yea no problem lol
Teach me your ways. You had your links and combos down. When you rushed me I couldn't do jack. Also, I didn't mean to taunt at all. It was me mistaking hk+hp for focus attack lol. Still getting my fingers used to the stick is a challenge.

toneroni

black_vegeta said:
"Guys, how do meet up? I also wanted get my ass kicked by gafers....."

We meet up at the liquor store at the corner 21st & Lewis in the LBC.
with warren G, snoop and nate dogg?

the gaf SFIV lists have been pretty quiet lately... :/
I want to play random but i hate picking random in championship mode :lol

Jinjo

_dementia said:
sounds like it. Buffer the QCB command during the cr.MK

Yeah got that one down. Only to be stumped 2 trials later by Viper's heavy kick into super. I can't get those out consistently enough yet. Especially on the P2 side. Mostly I go into her into her seismic hammer instead of the super/ultra.

Still, I am hooked. Played challenge for the last hour or so and then went into Arcade with Viper. It is a satisfying feeling pulling off combo's in combat you tried for hours on end to get right in challenge.:lol

Once I feel I am (slightly) competent I want to play some GAF guys.

Jinjo said:
Yeah got that one down. Only to be stumped 2 trials later by Viper's heavy kick into super. I can't get those out consistently enough yet. Especially on the P2 side. Mostly I go into her into her seismic hammer instead of the super/ultra.

Still, I am hooked. Played challenge for the last hour or so and then went into Arcade with Viper. It is a satisfying feeling pulling off combo's in combat you tried for hours on end to get right in challenge.:lol

Once I feel I am (slightly) competent I want to play some GAF guys.
input the super command before the second hit of the close HK comes out. You have to be quick.

if you're thinking that's bad, wait 'til you get to hard trial 3

Ravager61

I'm having tons of problems with overhead moves like M. Bisons head stomper or vegas flying slash. Whats the best way to counter these? Ive tried Tiger Uppercut but they seem to miss more than they connect. Should I just dash out of the way? When ever I play against these charcters they always just spam moves and I lose because I don't know how to effectively counter.

Jinjo

_dementia said:
input the super command before the second hit of the close HK comes out. You have to be quick.

if you're thinking that's bad, wait 'til you get to hard trial 3

Thanks. I'll try again tomorrow. Been playing for a few solid hours on end already. I'll worry about that hard trial when I get there. My total playtime is only about 3 hours and hopefully my skills will actually continue to improve the more I play. :lol

GriffD17

Ravager61 said:
I'm having tons of problems with overhead moves like M. Bisons head stomper or vegas flying slash. Whats the best way to counter these? Ive tried Tiger Uppercut but they seem to miss more than they connect. Should I just dash out of the way? When ever I play against these charcters they always just spam moves and I lose because I don't know how to effectively counter.

I would like to know this as well. Good question my dear friend.

Ravager61 said:

I main Bison, I though I don't spam the HeadStomp or Devil's Reverse, it is easy to counter:

1. Jump Neutral/towards and kick before Bison 's Headstomp reaches you.

2. Focus Attack when hit (preferably when he is coming down from the Devil Reserve).

When I mained Ryu when this game first came out, I found that fumping kicking him was the best solution.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Timedog said:

respectfully disagree..FAing between sweeps is a great idea...block the first one..FA the second hit dash cancel forward as fast as possible and grab..i did this in training mode about 4 times and im able to do it on reaction..the only thing to watch out for is to not dash forward too late otherwise youre going to be eating a flash kick..but the recovery on that sweep is so long that got plenty of time to get your grab.. a few other tricks i picked up against guile..if you bait a flash kick from sweep distance (with ryu) you can actualy jump over it and kick him out of the flashkick (it looks like a crossup..except in the air)..ryu vs guile is not a hard matchup..i FA absorb most booms..take my free ultra and look for the first opportunity to srk fadc ultra..if the guile is dumb enough to jump in on a ryu with ultra that just makes it easier

MIMIC

Banned
It's so nice to play a GOOD FUCKING GUILE. One that knows the Fuerte match-up, isn't afraid to come in, can do all of those hard to time links, etc. I played this one guy 22 times and went 13-9.

He was so good that I HAD to record some of them. He played as Blanka as well. I think he overestimated me and played too cautiously because I beat him in 2 rounds. A reckless Blanka can tear El Fuerte to shreds.

In this video, you'll see a bad habit I picked up: after I do the RSF, I end it with a splash instead of a slide like I normally do. I saw someone do it to counter a broken RSF which allows your opponent to block low....so you splash them. I've been doing it ever since.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiNHn6Rs3vM

I have 3 more...unfortunately, none of them are when he beat me (and he ROCKED me, too :lol). I have an outdated memory stick for my digital camera and I could only hold so much space.

Arde5643

MIMIC said:
It's so nice to play a GOOD FUCKING GUILE. One that knows the Fuerte match-up, isn't afraid to come in, can do all of those hard to time links, etc. I played this one guy 22 times and went 13-9.

He was so good that I HAD to record some of them. He played as Blanka as well. I think he overestimated me and played too cautiously because I beat him in 2 rounds. A reckless Blanka can tear El Fuerte to shreds.

In this video, you'll see a bad habit I picked up: after I do the RSF, I end it with a splash instead of a slide like I normally do. I saw someone do it to counter a broken RSF which allows your opponent to block low....so you splash them. I've been doing it ever since.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiNHn6Rs3vM

I have 3 more...unfortunately, none of them are when he beat me (and he ROCKED me, too :lol). I have an outdated memory stick for my digital camera and I could only hold so much space.
Tell that Guile to use more air throws when he sees Fuerte wall-jumps - at worst, he'll get tostada'd and can do quick get up.
Most of the times, he'll just air throw Fuerte's ass. :(

Just getting back into SF, and loving the pc version. Looks loads better then my PS3 version, and my virtua high grade stick works awesome. Best of all are the new skins...My man Dhalsim has never looked better.

2gwesus.jpg

Lemme resize that....

MIMIC

Banned
TurtleSnatcher said:
That Guile was not playing that Fuerte match right at all.

:lol You're joking, right? What did he do wrong. And keep in mind: nobody's perfect. And it's not like I suck or anything =p

Gr1mLock said:
respectfully disagree..FAing between sweeps is a great idea...block the first one..FA the second hit dash cancel forward as fast as possible and grab..i did this in training mode about 4 times and im able to do it on reaction..the only thing to watch out for is to not dash forward too late otherwise youre going to be eating a flash kick..but the recovery on that sweep is so long that got plenty of time to get your grab.. a few other tricks i picked up against guile..if you bait a flash kick from sweep distance (with ryu) you can actualy jump over it and kick him out of the flashkick (it looks like a crossup..except in the air)..ryu vs guile is not a hard matchup..i FA absorb most booms..take my free ultra and look for the first opportunity to srk fadc ultra..if the guile is dumb enough to jump in on a ryu with ultra that just makes it easier

You do understand that you can't grab someone in hit stun right? FA the 2nd hit and dashing forward to a grab is neither a combo nor guaranteed. The reason you SRK between sweeps is if you have ultra, that's an easy 35%, otherwise you get a knockdown reset which does more damage than an FA and gives you momentum to restart zoning.

gibration

Kaako said:
Teach me your ways. You had your links and combos down. When you rushed me I couldn't do jack. Also, I didn't mean to taunt at all. It was me mistaking hk+hp for focus attack lol. Still getting my fingers used to the stick is a challenge.
Who exactly is your main or what character do you want to be your main?

Arde5643

TurtleSnatcher said:
That Guile was not playing that Fuerte match right at all.
He was being aggressive, which is correct against Fuerte - just not the right way of being aggressive: lack of air throws and lack of middle range sonic booms.

He's got the right idea though.

Top Bottom