• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
FindMyFarms said:
You do understand that you can't grab someone in hit stun right? FA the 2nd hit and dashing forward to a grab is neither a combo nor guaranteed. The reason you SRK between sweeps is if you have ultra, that's an easy 35%, otherwise you get a knockdown reset which does more damage than an FA and gives you momentum to restart zoning.

yea dude..i dont think you understood what i was saying..or i didnt explain it clearly..FADC the second hit of the sweep..as in dash cancel the FA forward and get the grab..not FA the second hit and actualy HIT with the FA and THEN grab..ie after you HIT them

Gr1mLock said:
yea dude..i dont think you understood what i was saying..or i didnt explain it clearly..FADC the second hit of the sweep..as in cancel the FA and dash cancel forward and get the grab..not FA the second hit and actualy HIT with the FA and THEN grab..ie after you HIT them

No, it's you who doesn't understand what I'm saying.

It doesn't matter if you FA the first or second hit, you're never guaranteed the grab after the focus attack. It's not something you can combo into. However, SRK after the first hit IS guaranteed and you also get a knockdown. And, if you have a ultra, then you get big damage. Why go for a reset mixup when you can go for both guaranteed damage and a positional/zoning advantage.

Don't get me wrong, you can still FA the 2nd attack if you didn't react quickly enough to punish the first hit, but that's plan B.

Gr1mLock said:
yea dude..i dont think you understood what i was saying..or i didnt explain it clearly..FADC the second hit of the sweep..as in dash cancel the FA forward and get the grab..not FA the second hit and actualy HIT with the FA and THEN grab..ie after you HIT them

Why would you opt for minimal damage punishment?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Gr1mLock said:

It doesn't make sense cause you can get better damage doing SRK and not have to worry about timing and executing multiple moves. This is before even bringing fadc ultra into the picture, which makes it a no brainer.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
FindMyFarms said:
No, it's you who doesn't understand what I'm saying.

It doesn't matter if you FA the first or second hit, you're never guaranteed the grab after the focus attack. It's not something you can combo into. However, SRK after the first hit IS guaranteed and you also get a knockdown. And, if you have a ultra, then you get big damage. Why go for a reset mixup when you can go for both guaranteed damage and a positional/zoning advantage.

Don't get me wrong, you can still FA the 2nd attack if you didn't react quickly enough to punish the first hit, but that's plan B.

lol..one of us is drunk.maybe me..ok here's the scenario..guile sweeps right?..you block the first hit of the sweep...the second hit you focus absorb and dash forward..as in you cancel the focus attack alltogether..just like a parry in 3s..ie..use the armor to absorb the second hit to dash through it so you can get the grab..im not suggesting any combo at all..because im not proposing that you HIT him with anything..you just absorb the second hit after you block the first hit..dash cancel forward and grab.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Gr1mLock said:
lol..one of us is drunk.maybe me..ok here's the scenario..guile sweeps right?..you block the first hit of the sweep...the second hit you focus absorb and dash forward..as in you cancel the focus attack alltogether..just like a parry in 3s..ie..use the armor to absorb the second hit to dash through it so you can get the grab..im not suggesting any combo at all..because im not proposing that you HIT him with anything..you just absorb the second hit after you block the first hit..dash cancel forward and grab.

But a grab does less damage than SRK, and FA'ing, dashing forward, and grabbing is harder to do, and almost assuredly techable or outright beatable. What is the advantage of doing that over an SRK?

Gr1mLock said:

Oh ok I see what you're saying, but I still don't see why you'd go with that over something more damaging, esp. w/ ultra.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
GalacticAE said:
Why would you opt for minimal damage punishment?

because its guaranteed damage..and usefull for characters who dont have an srk..and not everyone has an arcade stick..my pad buddy who plays dictator does this because its easier to corner guile when you toss him 40 feet towards the corner..obviously if you have meter and ultra and play ryu go for the srk fadc ultra..but if you dont

Gr1mLock said:
because its guaranteed damage..and usefull for characters who dont have an srk..and not everyone has an arcade stick..my pad buddy who plays dictator does this because its easier to corner guile when you toss him 40 feet towards the corner..obviously if you have meter and ultra and play ryu go for the srk fadc ultra..but if you dont

A lot of people have different answers to Guile's sweep, but Ryu Vs. Guile was what was in question hence the SRK response.

ArjanN said:
SF4 is a game of me blocking your foward roundhouses and ultras and punishing you.

Not if I mash hard enough

profit

Any know a nice thing to do while playing SF4 to relax?
I dont mind losing and learning, but to keep losing cause I keep making stupid mistakes or that for some reasons I cant even punish a whiffed sweep is really starting to piss me off....

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Timedog said:
But a grab does less damage than SRK, and FA'ing, dashing forward, and grabbing is harder to do, and almost assuredly techable or outright beatable. What is the advantage of doing that over an SRK?

its not techable..i literaly went to training mode and did it less then ten times to get used to it and am able to do it most of the time on reaction..the only tricky thing is distance..and i guess if you play a character who has a really shitty dash..but ive done it with rog ryu abel rufus rose..it helps that a buddy of mine plays guile religiously

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
GalacticAE said:
I'm really not that great. Still learning a lot.

I'm curious why he would choose to throw instead. Maybe he hadn't considered his options?

its just ANOTHER option..while i played on the 360 pad of doom i personaly found the aforementioned method alot easier to consistently pull off..it has its uses..if cornered you can reverse it and corner him..but by all due means just srk if you want to

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Gr1mLock said:
its not techable..i literaly went to training mode and did it less then ten times to get used to it and am able to do it most of the time on reaction..the only tricky thing is distance..and i guess if you play a character who has a really shitty dash..but ive done it with rog ryu abel rufus rose..it helps that a buddy of mine plays guile religiously

I just went to training mode and it's flashkickable, and flashkick has fewer startup frames than his throw, so it's techable.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
i just went to training mode as well..ryu vs guile..tested both the grab and the flashkick and it work perfectly fine.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Gr1mLock said:
i just went to training mode as well..ryu vs guile..tested both the grab and the flashkick and it work perfectly fine.

Watch out. I did cr. hk into reversal flashkick and guile would not do the flashkick if I FA'ed his 2nd sweep and dashed in, so I was getting the grab every time. Weird behavior by the cpu.

So I did it 4 times during the 10 second record limit, and only 1 out of the 4 attempts would guile actually follow up with a flashkick. During that attempt I NEVER got the grab in.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Timedog said:
Watch out. I did cr. hk into reversal flashkick and guile would not do the flashkick if I FA'ed his 2nd sweep and dashed in, so I was getting the grab every time. Weird behavior by the cpu.

So I did it 4 times during the 10 second record limit, and only 1 out of the 4 attempts would guile actually follow up with a flashkick. During that attempt I NEVER got the grab in.

wtf..werid..i did a bunch of things..EX flash ..all 3 versions of regular flash..i tried spamming jab...throw techs..it worked fine..but guile did spaz out and do 3 flashkicks in a row..when i got him with the grab it was always during the last few frames of recovery so im fairly sure it works..i am willing howerver to admit that it might not be as practical as i thought

*edit* i do see what you were talking about..what the hell? he absolutely wont do anything now after a sweep..this is werid

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I think it's because extra frames are added depending on if the sweep hits, is blocked, or whiffs. So since you can't have ryu block the first one and then FA while you're recording it, frames are added and the timing gets messed up when you actually test it.

I did find something else pretty neat though. If you're not at the edge of his sweep distance, but pretty close to him when he does the double sweep, you can throw in-between the sweeps without having to FA. This is guaranteed 100% not techable.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Timedog said:
I think it's because extra frames are added depending on if the sweep hits, is blocked, or whiffs. So since you can't have ryu block the first one and then FA while you're recording it, frames are added and the timing gets messed up when you actually test it.

I did find something else pretty neat though. If you're not at the edge of his sweep distance, but pretty close to him when he does the double sweep, you can throw in-between the sweeps without having to FA. This is guaranteed 100% not techable.

he's doing nothing but flashkicks now..this is actualy pretty entertaining

LakeEarth

FAing the second sweep and then dashing in for the throw is techable. I don't understand why it wouldn't be, unless command throw. He'd also be able to jump out of the way. Doing something guarenteed like an SRK, Abel's EX CoD, Sakura's EX uppercut, whatever invulnerable ultras just makes more sense.

I'm finally bringing my Sakura to G1. Still can't get passed round 3, but I'm beating some Sagats with her which is always satisfying.

I think I am going to start playing M. Bison.

I had moderate success with Dhalsim when I originally played, and he is by far my best character now because of my level of familiarity and comfort. But, I want something different. I hear Bison is amazing at the rush down style of play, something new to me. I'm reading lots of stuff on SRK about him now.

Anyone main him? Any tips?

Saya

Any tips on defeating Seth? I just tried to beat him with Chun-Li on medium, I tried for about 90 minutes before I gave up. I came close a couple times, but overall he keeps kicking my ass after his power up after you defeat him 1 round.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Gr1mLock said:
wait wait wait, guile can just flash kick if you go forward at all. you can't get a crumple of an FA on the second sweep.

PBMax

catfish said:
wait wait wait, guile can just flash kick if you go forward at all. you can't get a crumple of an FA on the second sweep.

I don't think there's much reason to focus the 2nd hit of Guiles roundhouse. You can just counter it with an SRK, or with other moves for other chars. Guile can Flash Kick another Guile between sweep hits. You can also just block the first hit and take a free jump-in into whatever combo you want.

This is why good Guile players only sweep when it's going to connect, or the opponent can't react.

gutabo

kitzkozan said:
Hey,you are just like me. :lol You use the same username on Gaf and SRK like I do. :lol I wonder how many SRK members did join Gaf this year?
My srk account was created on 2001 and I used to post at least 20 posts per day... same at gamefaqs(at 3rd strike, marvel vs capcom 2 and other fighting games boards).

Biff Hardbody said:
I think I am going to start playing M. Bison.

I had moderate success with Dhalsim when I originally played, and he is by far my best character now because of my level of familiarity and comfort. But, I want something different. I hear Bison is amazing at the rush down style of play, something new to me. I'm reading lots of stuff on SRK about him now.

Anyone main him? Any tips?

I main him, check out my thread, I think it's a pretty good crash course for people who want to use Dictator:

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=181739

Hope that helps, please post in that thread if you think it does :)

Thank you very much. I have been playing a little on the pc with him today and have a basic combo and a couple moves down, its a big change from Dhalsim. I'll check your thread out right now.

I trained my new apprentice Attacking Panda in the art of Rufus. 3 hours of just relaying Rufus knowledge to this dude. So all you 360 owners in G2 better watch out for him. He's my G2 shadow now that I am in G1.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I play as Balrog and have a really hard time against Dictators. Against Dictator, I know to walk backward when he tries to headstomp, but what's the best way to punish the headstomp whiff? Also, his kick kick scissor kick loops are really annoying. I have no idea what to do against super aggressive Dictators that are in my face all match with that loop.

So, I want to start playing someone besides Cammy when I'm bored. In your guys opinion who has the easiest time getting past\through fireballs to punish those shototards? I just want to beat em down even easier.

PBMax said:
I don't think there's much reason to focus the 2nd hit of Guiles roundhouse. You can just counter it with an SRK, or with other moves for other chars. Guile can Flash Kick another Guile between sweep hits. You can also just block the first hit and take a free jump-in into whatever combo you want.

This is why good Guile players only sweep when it's going to connect, or the opponent can't react.

He was actually saying to FADC the 2nd hit then throw, not to FA, but I'd still go w/ something else. It's an option though in case you forget to do other stuff. Yet to test it myself however.

nilbog21

Banned
DarkAngelYuna said:
So, I want to start playing someone besides Cammy when I'm bored. In your guys opinion who has the easiest time getting past\through fireballs to punish those shototards? I just want to beat em down even easier.
gief
its almost too easy

profit

gibration said:
who's your main?
I mostly play Cammy, but now that I'm learning stick, that has even become more horrible.

Edit: To clarify, I'm learning Balrog at the moment, so I meant playing AS balrog, not against.

Augemitbutter said:
i think the ryu-spam has gotten ridiculous. no matter if you play G1 or random player matches, he's everywhere.

it's depressing if you check your progress in championship and all you see is a full line of ryu. and some people have the nerve to gold-plate their icon with the ryu-head.....

nobody deserves this.

Last night, I ran into 13 Ryu's withn 17 matches. It was a joke. They had the same type of whack style...especially with the wait for me to jump so they could jab srk into an ultra. It was so damn boring. I rather face Sagats.

JEKKI

my execution is making me depressed now...

Blanka sucks so Im picking up a sub, Dhalsim.

and I always have a hard time doing qcfx2 motions on the 1P side...

so rite now Yoga Flame xx Super on the left is impossible for me.

Q_Q

I do it like 1/20... but on the rite side Im more like 9/10

I wanna be 1/1 on both sides!!!

kitzkozan

black_vegeta said:
Last night, I ran into 13 Ryu's withn 17 matches. It was a joke. They had the same type of whack style...especially with the wait for me to jump so they could jab srk into an ultra. It was so damn boring. I rather face Sagats.

The Daigo Umehara effect . :p

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
i remember hearing talk of an "all normals ryu" way back when people actually played ranked.

Welp, I just ran into something I didn't think was possible. an all normals Zangief. No green hand, no spd's, no ultra, no throws whatsoever. I was laughing the whole time.

So dude, should I become TimeROG? I need a secondary and cammy sucks and my cammy play sucks.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Kadey said:
Practicing and doing this on a pad with carpal tunnel is a huge accomplishment for me! :D
Oh yeah, I still suck with a stick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7dpWYEqMTg

I pulled something close to that off once to win a championship match, minus the cr. mk at the beginning and the EX SRK in the middle. I threw a fireball and the other guy blocked high and I FADC into cr. mk > EX tatsu >ultra. I think omitting the EX SRK in the middle would actually make the combo hit harder tho, and make it easier.

What's with the weird music and lighting?

Top Bottom