• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Kaako

Felium Defensor
My execution is still shit using TE stick. I will definitely overcome this though, just need a shit ton of practice. Heck, I may even make Dan my second main! :D

MIMIC

Banned
tenten said:
Is there another character other than blanka that has a wake up attack that hits directly above (lk up ball) that doesn't require meter?

That's the move that I use to beat any cross up(on wake up) attempts. Is there another character that has a similar move?

"hits directly above"?

I don't understand.

Ravager61

xabi said:
A few basic things off the top of my head.

- It's a VERY different game from Sagat. With sagat, zoning is key, with Rufus, you gotta get in early and often

- He lacks an anti-air special, but c. mp works very well

- EX messiah kick is great, especially vs. people with projectiles. Don't forget to mix up the last hit

- Jumping HK is good to catch people early as they jump at you. Juggle with EX Snake Strike after it for massive damage, or juggle them with an ultra

- Dive kick is great, you have a few mix-up options after
a) do a bunch of c. lp or c. lk
b) combo a c. lp into a lp galactic tornado (you can do it with other hits too, but this is an easy one to start with)
c) s. lk -> s. hk (which you can then combo into an ultra
d) go into another jumping dive kick (sometimes it will cross up)
e) throw or tick-throw
f) after any of the above, keep the pressure on...go with another quick dive kick (i.e. hit df mk right after you jump). Do not abuse this though, people catch on

- Cr. hp from afar catches people off guard more often than you think

Hope this helps

Thanks for the tips. I was playing much more defensively with rufus but I guess I should start going on the offensive with him.

However, you mentioned that he doesnt have an anti-air special but isnt snake strike anti-air? Seems like that move only hits opponents that are in the air.

Jason

Ravager61 said:
Thanks for the tips. I was playing much more defensively with rufus but I guess I should start going on the offensive with him.

However, you mentioned that he doesnt have an anti-air special but isnt snake strike anti-air? Seems like that move only hits opponents that are in the air.

lp Snake Strike works but you have to be quick.

Shadow780

Ravager61 said:
So ive decided to drop Sagat for a little while and pick up Rufus. Any basic tips for a new Rufus player? I was playing through arcade mode a bit to get comfortable with him but I think its gonna take a while.

FullRufusFlowchartofdoom.jpg

Crisis

Banned
I'm getting my ass handed to me by experts in the ranked games. :( Anyone who ISN'T a fucking expert want to play some quick friendly ranked matches on PSN? By the way if dthoj from PSN posts here you are a fucking pussy for choosing Gouken in a ranked match.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Crisis said:
I'm getting my ass handed to me by experts in the ranked games. :( Anyone who ISN'T a fucking expert want to play some quick friendly ranked matches on PSN? By the way if dthoj from PSN posts here you are a fucking pussy for choosing Gouken in a ranked match.
I'm up for some Player matches right now but I'm afraid I offer no competition as of right now+I'm cloud surfing. You could still send me an invite though. PSN: Kaako

dralla

Ravager61 said:

his best AA is crouching MP. it doesn't look like it, but it stuffs a lot of jump-ins. Rufus' biggest strength is his ability to do major damage, quickly, because he can land is Ultra so many ways. Ultra set-ups... Standing HK outside of sweep range, target combo, j.HK on a jumping enemy, galactic tornado's in the corner, forward HP [palm strike] in corner, FADC from Messiah Kick -> lk version.

and EX snake strike does crazy damage.

galactic tornado's can absorb a projectile. you can control rufus during the MP/HP versions, hold forward to close in quickly. use his down/forward MK to move in on a knocked down opponent.

basically, rufus is awesome

Crisis

Banned
Kaako is well-rounded. He's kicking my ass mainly. I didn't realize how bad I was with these fighters until we started picking randoms.

Don't jump if he has ultra. Actually try to minimize jumping in against him in general. Be patient against his fireballs. That should carry you a long way.

MIMIC

Banned
Fuerte's slow ass slide beats Abel's Ultra. Seems kinda unfair, but I'll take it :)

I was doing the RSF (and end it with a slide) and I guess I was too slow and my opponent mashed his Ultra out.

MIMIC said:
Fuerte's slow ass slide beats Abel's Ultra. Seems kinda unfair, but I'll take it :)

I was doing the RSF (and end it with a slide) and I guess I was too slow and my opponent mashed his Ultra out.
Not all the time.. Only if you are slightly into a few frames of your slide. If not then he will still hit.

Im at 18k GP on Champ Mode for PC SF4. Almost caught up to my XBL. Soon I will be G1 just like I am on the 360 and never find a game! WOOT! :lol

Crisis

Banned
I can confirm a few things now.

1) I am terrible at the game. :lol I have got to learn how to force cancel worth a shit or I will never win. Kaako decimated me with that. The most convincing series I won was when I brought my cousin in to beat him with Ryu. :lol

2) Kaako is well-rounded with a lot of characters. Outside of Ken Ryu and Zangief I am fucking awful.

3) I cannot defend against Sagat for all of King Midas' gold.

Oh and great matches Kaako. I played way more than I expected to!

LakeEarth

abombb said:
Any tips for playing with Sakura, trying to get used to playing as her.
You have to have good link timing. Her jabs/shorts into d.mk or d.hp into SRK or EX hurricane kick is too good. Learn her EX hurricane kick -> jab -> crossup or fake crossup mixups, as they will get you the most opportunities for damage. I'm only semi-decent with her so there's probably tons I don't know.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Crisis thank you thank you thank you man! You have no idea what you've done. I don't have the jitters anymore, not just cause I lost and won some but cause for the first time since I bought my TE stick(3-4 days ago), I felt somewhat comfortable with it and could actually pull some moves and execute on some Ultra's for once.
I was also baked as hell so maybe that helped but I just felt somewhat at ease and could almost space out and use a bit of footsies. I need practice in pretty much every aspect and I really need to learn how to play everyone cause as you saw I was just using basic moves for almost all the charge characters.

We had some freaking epic ass matches though where it kept coming to the wire and could go either way. Shit was soooo insane especially cause I was totally baked and it make it so damn intense. Thanks for an amazing night man. Anytime you're up for matches, let me know.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
TurtleSnatcher said:
Not all the time.. Only if you are slightly into a few frames of your slide. If not then he will still hit.

Im at 18k GP on Champ Mode for PC SF4. Almost caught up to my XBL. Soon I will be G1 just like I am on the 360 and never find a game! WOOT! :lol

typo?

Crisis

Banned
Kaako said:
Crisis thank you thank you thank you man! You have no idea what you've done. I don't have the jitters anymore, not just cause I lost and won some but cause for the first time since I bought my TE stick(3-4 days ago), I felt somewhat comfortable with it and could actually pull some moves and execute on some Ultra's for once.
I was also baked as hell so maybe that helped but I just felt somewhat at ease and could almost space out and use a bit of footsies. I need practice in pretty much every aspect and I really need to learn how to play everyone cause as you saw I was just using basic moves for almost all the charge characters.

We had some freaking epic ass matches though where it kept coming to the wire and could go either way. Shit was soooo insane especially cause I was totally baked and it make it so damn intense. Thanks for an amazing night man. Anytime you're up for matches, let me know.

You played with a stick?! :lol :lol :lol

I was on a DS3!

The craziest match was the Zangief versus Sagat one where it came to round three and neither of us had ANY health left. :lol And we both kind of retreated and waited for the other to screw up. I kept trying to chicken you into it and you didn't bite. That was a costly mistake on my part!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
good games as always Level 8 boss!

I will learn to beat your gouken with my bison. God I need to learn to tech throws if that is ever going to happen. 50% damage off one throw -> ultra is brutal.

Our matches always seem to swing big time, especially the ryu/blanka matchup. I got cocky since I won the first one nicely and then got ruined second time around.

You took 6 from 11, but I'll console myself with winning the championship one before that in the random meetup :D

<3 5 bar connections as well. I can't notice a lag at all.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Crisis said:
You played with a stick?! :lol :lol :lol

I was on a DS3!

The craziest match was the Zangief versus Sagat one where it came to round three and neither of us had ANY health left. :lol And we both kind of retreated and waited for the other to screw up. I kept trying to chicken you into it and you didn't bite. That was a costly mistake on my part!
Hahaha there were sooooo many crazy matches man I lost count. The Dan ones were fucking epic and funny as well. I'm better on my 360 pad but I'm playing on the TE stick cause I recently bought it and need to get used to it. Also the first couple of matches were all in freaking slow motion for me. :lol

Crisis

Banned
Dudes how do you keep people from picking Seth and Gouken and shit in the ranked matches? I can't even fucking choose people because now I have to watch to make sure they don't act like a fucking shithead.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Crisis said:
Dudes how do you keep people from picking Seth and Gouken and shit in the ranked matches? I can't even fucking choose people because now I have to watch to make sure they don't act like a fucking shithead.
what you have posted doesn't make sense.

Crisis

Banned
catfish said:
what you have posted doesn't make sense.

People picking boss characters is fucking bullshit. Is there any way you can make sure that people in ranked matches don't do that shit?

Duke Togo

Crisis said:
How does this not make sense? Unless you're one of the assholes who picks them.
I have pummeled multiple Seths and Goukens in ranked matches. Forgive me if I fail to see why you are complaining.

Crisis

Banned
Duke Togo said:
I have pummeled multiple Seths and Goukens in ranked matches. Forgive me if I fail to see why you are complaining.

Good for you. It's a chickenshit move because Seth is CLEARLY unbalanced.

Crisis said:
Good for you. It's a chickenshit move because Seth is CLEARLY unbalanced.

At high level play, Seth can be pretty dangerous but his high-risk high-reward must be managed well because he's basically a glass cannon.

As Tekno said, if you literally combo him twice, you've practically won the match. He has terrible terrible stamina.

Gouken on the other hand is also a decent character at best, certainly not as effective as the likes of a Ryu or Sagat.

Just learn the quirks/mechanics of both matchups (their abilities, setups and whatnot) and you won't be complaining about these 2 characters in no time haha

Crisis said:

Do you seriously think that Gouken is overpowered, really? The guy is mid tier at best. Is it his throw>Ultra that bothers you?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Rice-Eater said:
Do you seriously think that Gouken is overpowered, really? The guy is mid tier at best. Is it his throw>Ultra that bothers you?

throw>ultra bothered me last night I was winning with a perfect then 50% of bisons bar went down the tubes.

Furthermore, Goukens ultra is humiliating. the way bisons chin looks all mushed up on his fist and everything :(

He's in no way overpowered though.

Crisis has the most appropriate user name just now :lol

ArjanN

McBradders said:
:lol holy shit what happened in here?

Seth and Gouken overpowered? :lol

I can see how they might seem overpowered at first, Gouken because of his looks/backstory and Seth because he's a boss character.

Seth is powerful, but the playable version only has 700 hitpoints, so that balances it out.

HiResDes

ChennehCis said:
At high level play, Seth can be pretty dangerous but his high-risk high-reward must be managed well because he's basically a glass cannon.

As Tekno said, if you literally combo him twice, you've practically won the match. He has terrible terrible stamina.

Gouken on the other hand is also a decent character at best, certainly not as effective as the likes of a Ryu or Sagat.

Just learn the quirks/mechanics of both matchups (their abilities, setups and whatnot) and you won't be complaining about these 2 characters in no time haha
Gouken just seems extremely easy to punish and this is coming from a guy that complains about damn near everything...It becomes necessary to complain a bunch to keep your morale up when you play as Fei Long.

Crisis said:
People picking boss characters is fucking bullshit. Is there any way you can make sure that people in ranked matches don't do that shit?

I too would like to know the answer to this question. I try sending messages before the match starts but it never stops the people with the seth/gouken icons. Also how do I get people to not pick Dan, he's also clearly overpowered and all the pussies that rush to him are a bunch of douchebags.

HiResDes

FindMyFarms said:
I too would like to know the answer to this question. I try sending messages before the match starts but it never stops the people with the seth/gouken icons. Also how do I get people to not pick Dan, he's also clearly overpowered and all the pussies that rush to him are a bunch of douchebags.
:lol

LosDaddie said:
Well I finally ordered it:

31Bs1iNFVqL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Should be delivered to my office by Friday :D
They'll never make figures of Abel or Q :(

I like how Necro and Remy have at least two unique figures from two different companies, and Q, who I assume is equally as unpopular as them has none.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Crisis said:

I dunno what character you're using, but its very hard for Gouken to get in without getting punished. Stay on the attack, dont give em space n time to set up a "Flip Show".

As for Seth, just calm down, take your time, move in carefully and he'll be dead in a few. Dont let his gymnastics kill your confidence.

Top Bottom