• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Had some good games with fellow Gaf'er itwasfunny. I did much better this time against his Viper. I did jump way too much and ate some ultras but luckily I landed some of my own. The last game was kind of wacky, he accidentally picked Sagat and I won the game with a empty jump Ultra when he went for the high step kick.

I feel like I should work on a 2nd character though, people will get bored of me playing the same guy over and over and not want to play again. Even I have to admit that I'd like to change it up although Ryu will always be my main. Too bad Cable isn't in the game, I wouldn't mind picking him. It'd make the Sagat matches so much easier :lol

Shito

Crystalkoen> Who is your main?
A friend of mine plays Gouki, so his shenanigans don't impress me much anymore. Usually I find that simply *walking* towards a jump-back-fireball Gouki works well: if a fireball comes your way, just block it (or better: FA absorb it), and if you see you can dash underneath it, don't hesitate! Gouki is *very* vulnerable when coming down from an air fireball, and his trajectories are quite predictable, you should be able to punish him quite easily if you see he only relies on this to keep you at bay. Now if he starts to demon-flip you in between, then you should become a little more wary, but a simple jump can punish him quite easily from doing that. Also, anticipate those teleports and punish the hell out of him!

I feel you Rice-Eater. I'm ultra faithful to Abel and I can't help but feel other players get bored when I continually choose him. Sometimes I deviate and play Viper, Honda, and Ken, but that's almost exclusively in local play with friends over.

What sucks about me is that I can't even play any other character half way decent, and this includes the other Shoto's. I tried Akuma once against itwasfunny and it was easily my worse performance. And I knew why I lost, I tried to play Akuma like the way I play Ryu and it's just not the same. I also hate charge characters, I just don't seem to have the patience for it. Choosing another shoto isn't exactly trying something new. So I'm kind of at a lost when it comes to choosing a secondary character.

Among the entire roster excluding charge and shoto types, I'm most interested in learning Seth and Abel. Seth just has so much in his arsenal and although his Ultra and Super are weak, they're incredibly easy to land. As for Abel, I just like his character and move set although I feel I'll have a harder time becoming comfortable with him then I would with Seth.

Rice-Eater said:
What sucks about me is that I can't even play any other character half way decent, and this includes the other Shoto's. I tried Akuma once against itwasfunny and it was easily my worse performance. And I knew why I lost, I tried to play Akuma like the way I play Ryu and it's just not the same. I also hate charge characters, I just don't seem to have the patience for it. Choosing another shoto isn't exactly trying something new. So I'm kind of at a lost when it comes to choosing a secondary character.

Among the entire roster excluding charge and shoto types, I'm most interested in learning Seth and Abel. Seth just has so much in his arsenal and although his Ultra and Super are weak, they're incredibly easy to land. As for Abel, I just like his character and move set although I feel I'll have a harder time becoming comfortable with him then I would with Seth.

Yeah, the hardest thing about Abel is adjusting your zoning/spacing to compensate for his lack of a consistent anti-air. But either way, keep playing Ryu, who cares what other people think :p Plus, you can never get enough shoto practice in this game anyways.

Last night was all about fucking around in SF4. I picked Gief and lariat'ed my ass off to win a championship, lol. I was laughing, people couldn't stop the red cyclone.

Also, I found out a nice way to catch some suckers off guard with honda. My opponents were at the other end of the screen either fireballing their ass off of or just turtling. I would do a MP flying butt splash while maintaining my charge, then immediately do the ultra. I got 3 people with that sneaky move as they tried to punish the whiffed butt splash.

Good stuff.

CheapChampagne

Neo Member
black_vegeta said:
Last night was all about fucking around in SF4. I picked Gief and lariat'ed my ass off to win a championship, lol. I was laughing, people couldn't stop the red cyclone.

Also, I found out a nice way to catch some suckers off guard with honda. My opponents were at the other end of the screen either fireballing their ass off of or just turtling. I would do a MP flying butt splash while maintaining my charge, then immediately do the ultra. I got 3 people with that sneaky move as they tried to punish the whiffed butt splash. Godd stuff.

i found it quite hilarious yesterday when I just got bumped into G2 and my 2nd match was against a gief who pretty much just lariat'ed :lol silly giefs

CheapChampagne said:
i found it quite hilarious yesterday when I just got bumped into G2 and my 2nd match was against a gief who pretty much just lariat'ed :lol silly giefs

Could have been me...was it gamertag GNizzle858??

:lol

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I played Gief for the first time ever yesterday and it was...weird. He's so cheap. His grabs have priority over everything. Here's to hoping they fix that shit when Hyper comes out

abombb

Banned
I could've sworn I just played someone whose gamertag looked like "spamkick"(Can't read on SDTV), and all he did was press the HK button the entire match:lol .

Crystalkoen

DaCocoBrova said:
I played Gief for the first time ever yesterday and it was...weird. He's so cheap. His grabs have priority over everything. Here's to hoping they fix that shit when Hyper comes out

Most 'giefs are pretty predictable, though. Anytime they do a jump, block an attack, or do a Banish Flat, they'll almost always follow it up with the SPD. If you start punishing that (jump/back dash before he can throw, follow up with whatever you like as he whiffs), they'll start mixing in Lariats instead of the throw, which you may be able to strategize against much better than I do.

Shito: I almost exclusively play Sakura, hence why I have a hard time punishing Gouki's stuff. If I manage to get under a LP Air fireball, he teleports to the other side of the screen (well outside of my range) as soon as he lands, preventing effective combat that doesn't involve trading with the aforementioned fireball and having to deal with high/low shenanigans or a SRK as soon as I try something.

Wanted to try seconding Gouki, since I've been using him as long as I have Sakura (SFA2 days), but I'm pretty bad with him these days. I think I make a better showing using Fuerte or Cammy than him, so I'll probably start doing a bit more practice with them soon.

MIMIC

Banned
Rice-Eater said:

SUPER DYNAMIC COOKING TIME!

HiResDes

DaCocoBrova said:
If he was really that cheap you'd think we'd have seen at least one Gief in the top 8 at Evo.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
HiResDes said:
If he was really that cheap you'd think we'd have seen at least one Gief in the top 8 at Evo.

Nobody likes him:lol

its a match-up thing for me, i went about 6-4 on Giefs playing with Fuerte the past the few month, cuz its like he's a character made for Gief in a way.

But the Abel match-up is ABSOLUTELY bullshit, i'd like to see how someone at Shiro's level fight a Zangief, but pretty much every Abel hates the hairy Russian.

Gief is not cheap. Get that whining outta here! This is has been talked about before, he can get zoned out by good players. I play Gief. I get zoned all the time! I suck, but still...

Lets get back to complaining about Sagat....:lol

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
My only problem with gief is the easy inputs. You used to respect gief players because the input for his spd and especially ultra was pretty hard if you're not a gief player, and you'd even see them fuck it up sometimes and jump punch when. I don't think I've ever seen someone above complete scrub level obviously fuck up an spd in sfIV that I can remember. A huge damage outputting move like that should require good execution. I thought that was the whole fucking point in making his spd a 360 motion in SF2, much much harder than any other move in the game.

So there is no more respect for Gief players that try to get in on Sagats and Ryu's?

I understand what you are saying about easy inputs, but you still gotta to get in to get that damage. I don't think good players are getting caught by random SPD. I don't think it's random anyways. If a person jumps in and messes up their combo timing on a grappler, they should get SPD'd, that's the design of the character.

This is all just my opinion of course. I just think it's hard to get wins on good Sagat's, Ryu's,Honda's. You gotta work for that damage and get past those shields.

Leunam

No, I agree. My room mate bitches about my Abel all the time, but he doesn't seem to understand that the only reason I keep grabbing him is because I'm right in his face. He's not very good about using blockstrings to give himself some space.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
ThatCrazyGuy said:
So there is no more respect for Gief players that try to get in on Sagats and Ryu's?

I understand what you are saying about easy inputs, but you still gotta to get in to get that damage. I don't think good players are getting caught by random SPD. I don't think it's random anyways. If a person jumps in and messes up their combo timing on a grappler, they should get SPD'd, that's the design of the character.

This is all just my opinion of course. I just think it's hard to get wins on good Sagat's, Ryu's,Honda's. You gotta work for that damage and get past those shields.

That's every gief. How would a gief not get perfected if he didn't try to get in on ryu's and sagats???

Oh wait, I do have another problem with him. I don't think you should be able to kara command throws.

Arde5643

ThatCrazyGuy said:
I have respect for Gief against Sagats, but fuck Giefs on any other match-ups. A good Gief is a losing Gief in my book. :lol

icechai

had my first online match yesterday, down to the wire and i surprise them by doing Blanka's ultra as I was standing up lol. Sucks about losing BP though, saw he got -147 or something. Also can't join any games unless I start my own lobby, what the heck?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
gg level 7 boss.

God damn, when I switched to honda, i was winning a round real nice, and a fucking mouse just cruised into my room and ran over my feet and went directly under the telly.

FUUUUUCK. I'm not scared of mice but this little bastard kept running by me while i'm trying to beat you in street fighter. :/

Not that you didn't beat me 7-3, but shit man, you got 1 match due to mouse related WTF scenarios :lol all in all though, I couldn't damage your ryu today. I think I've lost blanka skills a bit and actually almost stand a better chance with bison these days.

GGs and sorry I couldn't play you threi! Next time man, I wanna play another bison.

MIMIC

Banned
Timedog said:
My only problem with gief is the easy inputs. You used to respect gief players because the input for his spd and especially ultra was pretty hard if you're not a gief player, and you'd even see them fuck it up sometimes and jump punch when. I don't think I've ever seen someone above complete scrub level obviously fuck up an spd in sfIV that I can remember. A huge damage outputting move like that should require good execution. I thought that was the whole fucking point in making his spd a 360 motion in SF2, much much harder than any other move in the game.

@_@

All these years I thought you needed the full 360 motion to make his SPD come out. I hit training mode and sure enough, I can do the SPD with just a 270 (back, down, forward, up/forward) with ease.

I might just start playing with him :D (and I hate Zangief :lol)

Is there an easy way to do his Super/Ultra? :)

Rufus

Jason said:
I made it to G1 and promptly lost my first 2 matches. Get me out of here. :lol
Play ranked for a while if you feel like you're hitting a wall. It's what I do, works wonders for my temper. :lol

toneroni

MIMIC said:
@_@

All these years I thought you needed the full 360 motion to make his SPD come out. I hit training mode and sure enough, I can do the SPD with just a 270 (back, down, forward, up) with ease.

I still try to do a 360 when playing with him as random...maybe i should stop now...

Won

MIMIC said:
@_@

All these years I thought you needed the full 360 motion to make his SPD come out. I hit training mode and sure enough, I can do the SPD with just a 270 (back, down, forward, up/forward) with ease.

You don't even need to do a 270.....225 is already enough.

MIMIC said:
@_@

SPD is now HCB+UB. Ridiculously easy. Ultra is just a 360+ that motion.

504x_zanface.jpg

GIEF!!

HAD to post that :)

-------
GGs Level 8 Boss. I got little bit worried with your Blanka and Sagat since those aren't my favourite match ups. I think I've finally learned some tricks against Sagat.

abombb

Banned
Rocky_Balboa said:
504x_zanface.jpg

GIEF!!

HAD to post that :)

-------
GGs Level 8 Boss. I got little bit worried with your Blanka and Sagat since those aren't my favourite match ups. I think I've finally learned some tricks against Sagat.

Jesus! That scared the crap out of me:lol

kuYuri

Started playing SFIV online after a bit of a break and I forget how much the game works on my nerves. I never feel this nervous playing shooters online like Call of Duty, but with SFIV I'm practically shaking like a leaf, I dunno why. :lol

RedAssedApe

Banned
Just had to put in my two cents about the SPD complaints... (I'm in agreement with David Sirlin's comments in regards to why he made the controls easier in HD Remix)

It's actually sad to hear that some players think that their ability to execute a 360 command throw is why they are good, as opposed to the actual strategy of getting close enough to the opponent with Zangief to land the throw.

Another wrong-headed comment I often get is that easier controls don't leave enough skills in the game to separate good and bad players. The statement is absurd. Easier special moves don't change the strategic depth of the game at all

Stuff like Feilong's easier chicken wing, Guile's super and PP and KK moves instead of PPP and KKK from HD Remix should have made the jump to SF4.

GriffD17

Strider2K99 said:
Started playing SFIV online after a bit of a break and I forget how much the game works on my nerves. I never feel this nervous playing shooters online like Call of Duty, but with SFIV I'm practically shaking like a leaf, I dunno why. :lol

Yeah no kidding. I was in a tournament of sorts over the weekend. Nothing big. But wow, intense stuff.

And in other news. This is just one of those nights. No luck whatsoever pretty much tonite.

CheapChampagne

Neo Member
Strider2K99 said:

I think its more adrenaline than nervousness. Its just that you're trying to react as quick as possible to whats happening and that gets the adrenaline pumping. At least thats how I feel most of the time. And afterwards it takes a little time to calm down :lol

I'm more nervous at local tournaments than I am at big tournies like Evo or regional ones. The local community here have been playing fighting games together for over 10 years so there's a lot of history and rivalry throughout a lot of different games. Right now everyone is focused on SF4 here so I need to stay on top.

AZ Greg

GGs to Threi and dementia.

Threi's Bison has to be the best Bison I've faced in terms of buffering his charge. Every time I thought I had an opening after blocking a scissors kick/slide/anything, bam, I'd get hit by a scissors kick or head stomp. I'm so accustomed to charge character players being slower than that. I was probably playing too aggressively though. During our last few fights I sat back a little and punished accordingly. Those went much smoother.

I really need more experience vs. Abel. His roll can shut down a lot of my shenanigans. And damn did I eat a ton of ultras. :lol

I'm still on if anyone wants to play.

Top Bottom