• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

RS4-

Kal said:
Hmm I just air threw a Chun out of a ex SBK??? How is that even possible? :lol I'm using Chun Li lol.... any tips against Zangief???

Jump up roundhouse is retarded good against Gief. A lot of it is zoning really, and picking your places when it comes to throwing a fireball since you'll eat an ex-glove or a jump in combo/grab. Ex-sbk is pretty damn good too when he jumps in or stays on top of you.

If you're on Live, send me a msg at "pinbacker"

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I am depressed. Since changing to TE I haven't been the same in this game. In fact... I suck. I feel like when I was starting the game and with seemingly no hope of getting better. I considered me to be nearly tournament level with my Chun but now... now *sniffes*... i am a scrub!! *cries*

Man I really am sucking with the stick =P

Relix said:
I am depressed. Since changing to TE I haven't been the same in this game. In fact... I suck. I feel like when I was starting the game and with seemingly no hope of getting better. I considered me to be nearly tournament level with my Chun but now... now *sniffes*... i am a scrub!! *cries*

It takes time and tons of practice. I have almost 200 hours clocked in and I'm still not fully comfortable with it.

qcf x2

Jazzy Network said:
Any Chun-Li players with tips?

I'm bored of Viper, Rose, Cammy and finally Sakura so Chun is my new addiction. To be honest I normal spam the hell out of people. More than in 3rd Strike, even. Her standing medium punch is so good it's crazy. Standing fierce also works unbelievably well. I can't count how many times I spam it 4x in a row, get 3 to land which causes a dizzy, then actually do some sort of combo.

I don't use her the way most do; the jab pokes and EX legs don't do much for me. But I'd recommend you practice your combos for when you earn a dizzy and don't ever throw your ultra out unless it's guaranteed. Hazanshou (hcb +k) can be used to go through fireballs. Her close normals suck compared to her far normals. Neutral jump roundhouse kick stops almost everything in the air.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Relix said:

Me too man :(

GG Rice Eater. Your Ryu is boss! I definently felt more confident and relaxed after the 3rd set and really just had fun. I think I got you on the random matches but you are amazing with those Ryu FADC ultras. My balrog did eek some wins out though.

The Ken vs Sagat uppercut battle was epic. I can't believe we both just degenerated to throwing uppercuts every single time. I couldn't stop laughing (i am sure you could hear me giggling over the headset). :lol

I still want to learn dhalsim as my alt for balrog but man that guys normals are confusing. jumping down punch is the head torpedo but jump punch is that arm punch. I don't think I won a round with him but he is so much fun.

Any Gafers recommend a main for me?

I still hate and refuse to play as Sagat.

MiniBossBattle said:
GG Rice Eater. Your Ryu is boss! I definently felt more confident and relaxed after the 3rd set and really just had fun. I think I got you on the random matches but you are amazing with those Ryu FADC ultras. My balrog did eek some wins out though.

The Ken vs Sagat uppercut battle was epic. I can't believe we both just degenerated to throwing uppercuts every single time. I couldn't stop laughing (i am sure you could hear me giggling over the headset). :lol

I still want to learn dhalsim as my alt for balrog but man that guys normals are confusing. jumping down punch is the head torpedo but jump punch is that arm punch. I don't think I won a round with him but he is so much fun.

Any Gafers recommend a main for me?

I still hate and refuse to play as Sagat.

Recommended main: Zangief, lariart FTMFW!!!

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
anyone that's not tournament level want to fight play me while I try to learn this damn TE stick?

XBL = chickeny dinner

Also, I'm thinking about changing my XBL name to Timedog for 800 space bucks? Should I do it?

GriffD17

Timedog said:
anyone that's not tournament level want to fight play me while I try to learn this damn TE stick?

XBL = chickeny dinner

Also, I'm thinking about changing my XBL name to Timedog for 800 space bucks? Should I do it?

Do it. I get confused when tags are different.

Timedog said:

XBL = chickeny dinner

Yes, I'm thinking about doing the same. I'm trying to think of something creative that isn't already taken on XBL.

I'll add your GT.

Relix said:

It's a bit of an uphill. But now that you have the ability to piano input (her lightning legs) and kara link some of her combos, you will reach a level with Chun that would be quite difficult (I'm assuming) on a pad.

Jazzy Network said:
Any Chun-Li players with tips?

She lacks a consistent AA. So practice/experiment with using her normals for AA (eg, cr. mp or st. mk works on Sagats and Shotos, st. fierce for Rog, etc). The timing is strict for each so practice in training mode. As a Chun player, I think the most difficult thing to establish in a match is intimidating your opponent from jumping on you a lot. Lots of people online it seems likes to think that Chun = free jump ins. So know her AAs. It also sucks that her AA ability is lag-dependent...so anything below a yellow connection is bad for Chun.

Also I recommend subscribing to GoldSamuraiArmor's youtube (aka MagnetoManiac), he mains Chuns and is very good and knowledgeable and uploads a lot of his Chun matches with some high-level players, as well as techniques and stuff.

GriffD17

BotoxAgent said:
As a Chun player, I think the most difficult thing to establish in a match is intimidating your opponent from jumping on you a lot. Lots of people online it seems likes to think that Chun = free jump ins.

grr. This is so true. I'll have people just throw out normals, I'll block, they'll jump up and rinse and repeat. so aggravating.

kitzkozan

Relix said:

The first few days are freaking brutal,but don't give up. :D

I can now pull off most move like I can with a pad.Only problem left is reworking on my combo and link timing,since you need to develop your stick agility.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
man I feel bad for the people that were already good then switched to a stick. :lol

I learned on a stick, I would be TERRIBLE with a pad now

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
FindMyFarms said:
Don't do it man, you're too sexy for that.

You know, every time I get hit with an EX spinning bird kick while jumping in, i'm kinda sad, but at the same time I almost kinda think it's worth it to get up close and personal with chun li's crotch.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
catfish said:
man I feel bad for the people that were already good then switched to a stick. :lol

I learned on a stick, I would be TERRIBLE with a pad now

I would have loved to have. I just was/am broke. I got this game a month later than everyone else cause I was out of money. I convinced my girlfriend to buy me the TE after we watched EVO and made plans to go to las vegas next year.

Arde5643

Timedog said:
I would have loved to have. I just was/am broke. I got this game a month later than everyone else cause I was out of money. I convinced my girlfriend to buy me the TE after we watched EVO and made plans to go to las vegas next year.
You got your GF convinced to go to Las Vegas for EVO and not for shows/gambling?

You lucky ass bastard!

kitzkozan

qcf x2 said:
I'm bored of Viper, Rose, Cammy and finally Sakura so Chun is my new addiction. To be honest I normal spam the hell out of people. More than in 3rd Strike, even. Her standing medium punch is so good it's crazy. Standing fierce also works unbelievably well. I can't count how many times I spam it 4x in a row, get 3 to land which causes a dizzy, then actually do some sort of combo.

I don't use her the way most do; the jab pokes and EX legs don't do much for me. But I'd recommend you practice your combos for when you earn a dizzy and don't ever throw your ultra out unless it's guaranteed. Hazanshou (hcb +k) can be used to go through fireballs. Her close normals suck compared to her far normals. Neutral jump roundhouse kick stops almost everything in the air.

If Balrog is the best charge character,I wonder if Chun is the second best or not? Nemo is freaking good with her and he's easily one of the top 10 SF IV player in the world.

She's really solid and some of her normals are godlike.2X ex legs into ultra(corner) is very effective as well.

I never used her in SF before,but I have been enjoying watching Nemo play her and I'm starting up Chun along with my Ryu and Zangief.

My problem with the stick is that I can only play with charge characters :D I'm in trouble if I have to do any qcf/b movements. Luckily I only play with Rog so it is not a big problem. Although maybe I have to learn some new stuff for KOFXII or some other fighting games. Right now I'm happy with my modded SE stick and Boxer.

Arde5643

kitzkozan said:
If Balrog is the best charge character,I wonder if Chun is the second best or not? Nemo is freaking good with her and he's easily one of the top 10 SF IV player in the world.

She's really solid and some of her normals are godlike.2X ex legs into ultra(corner) is very effective as well.

I never used her in SF before,but I have been enjoying watching Nemo play her and I'm starting up Chun along with my Ryu and Zangief.
If Chun has full health (1000 HP) instead of 900 HP and her ultra from EX legs always does full ultra, she'd probably be pretty top tier.

She's already got a very awesome base, just those 2 things alone will propel her really high.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
kitzkozan said:

I think Bison is the second best charge character. Lots of his stuff is so safe, and his s. hk is godlike.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
More Chun the better. She's awesome. Low HP and can be tricked a lot but if played smartly you will win. =)

EDIT: Oh and she takes real skill unlike some God tier out there....

toneroni said:
oh thats you! haha was wondering who it was :lol

All good, I sent the request when my account wasn't activated for posting yet.

I don't blame you. I would be like, "who in the fuck are you???"

Now, accept that bitch and get ready for some future rumbles!! :p

kitzkozan

Timedog said:
I think Bison is the second best charge character. Lots of his stuff is so safe, and his s. hk is godlike.

It pretty much come down to either Bison or Chun as the second best charge character.

I know Bison always had a freaking godlike s.hk and he's got plenty of safe stuff,but it's a pain to create good setup for the ultra.

Overall,I think Chun has got a better game.Got a couple of great normals and it's easier to set up the ultra if you are somewhat close to the corner.

Chun would definitively be top tier if she could gain her rising kick and the ultra could be properly juggled everywhere.

kitzkozan

Relix said:
More Chun the better. She's awesome. Low HP and can be tricked a lot but if played smartly you will win. =)

EDIT: Oh and she takes real skill unlike some God tier out there....

:lol Sagat,Akuma and Ryu require a lot of skill to master,despite 2 of them having braindead easy ultra setup.

At the highest level of competition,it's hard to win even with Sagat.I don't think Mago has been winning every tournament.I won't be surprised if a Chun or Abel or whatever character(Wong's Balrog? :p) end up winning SBO and not one of the 237446 japanese Sagat. :D

Arde5643

kitzkozan said:
It pretty much come down to either Bison or Chun as the second best charge character.

I know Bison always had a freaking godlike s.hk and he's got plenty of safe stuff,but it's a pain to create good setup for the ultra.

Overall,I think Chun has got a better game.Got a couple of great normals and it's easier to set up the ultra if you are somewhat close to the corner.

Chun would definitively be top tier if she could gain her rising kick and the ultra could be properly juggled everywhere.
I think Bison's a really good charge character as well - he definitely has more advantegous match-ups than Chun, but at the same time he also has more disadvantegous match-ups.

If Chun has 1000 HP and can do full ultra from EX kicks juggle, she'll probably be the Ryu of the charge characters - solid all around, no really highly advantegous match-ups but no really highly disadvantegous match-ups as well.

Vdragoon

~Devil Trigger~ said:
Right or Wrong?
Chun Li has a slight advantage over Abel.

I got every G2 level Chuns on PSN just yesterday and they all poked and normalized my ass to death. We trade alot in the air, not sure if cr.mk is the best AA against her, for now j.fp is doing an ok job.

Chun has all the right tools to shut down Abel, so you're out of luck on that one. Good Chun players will not jump often. I tend to stick to the ground unless I am going for a mix-up when they are knocked down.

As for Zangief tips, S.HK and S.FP will keep him back watch your spacing and dash back if you know he will try the glow hand and punish. Once you get them to duck your S.HK you can now throw in random HS into your game.

EX.SBK against jump in.. make sure to time this correctly, do not just do a wake up EX.SBK as good players will try to delay there jump-ins to make you burn it.

I will a majority of matches against gief with this strategy.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Being on vacation means I'm going to be yet another month out of practice for my TE stick - reading the past pages of people that used to be incredible on the pad and made the jump to the stick just like myself, I feel you guys...

Just when I was getting to where I was when I first got the stick too (probably my best period with the stick) - oh well...

GalacticAE said:
"Chun's got meter? I don't give a fuck Imma hop on dat ass regardless." - Daigo

Semi finals EVO2009

Still crazy what he pulled off there - I'd watch it again right now, but the internet here where I'm at is soooooo slow...

Baah... I just got 3 Giefs in a row. One of them was a 50k Gief and did nothing but lariats all day :D. The sad thing is that is still lost :D

LakeEarth said:
My latest replay features a 46500gp lariat spamming Zangief. I was in shock. 46500gp and no skill at all! Knocks me down? Lariat on my wakeup. Lariat lariat lariat. Good times.
Might have been the same guy :D His GT is 'Maitre Shifu'

LakeEarth

Rocky_Balboa said:
Baah... I just got 3 Giefs in a row. One of them was a 50k Gief and did nothing but lariats all day :D. The sad thing is that is still lost :D

Might have been the same guy :D His GT is 'Maitre Shifu'
I can't remember the name of the Dhalsim I fought earlier, but this Zangief I mentioned is named Dretok. If you have me on the FL just look at my most recent replay.

Rice-Eater said:
Well yesterday I ran into a Sagat player who beat me 2 rounds to 1. I gave him too much respect and didn't jump in on him, he kept mashing TU through my block strings because I'm no good at that anyways. He empty jump threw me like 3 times because I really didn't expect him to do it again.

I lose to him and I'm pissed about it, then he sends me a message that says that I'm lacking skills. I message him back and ask for a rematch. He doesn't answer. Then like 15 minutes or so later, I run into him again and sit there for about 1 minute with no answer I leave and then played some GAF matches.

Gotta love the guys who cower in fear of not having the last laugh. Reminds me of player matches where you start off with like 3 or 4 straight wins and if they pull one off, they quit or if they win 1 very close set, they quit.

that's basically SF IV online, where sore losers unite. i've encountered so many people pulling off the shit you've just described, and even worse. i guess they're so used in getting their butt hurt, that every small/rare victory gets a glorification.

don't worry, i can feel their sadness!

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Rice-Eater said:
Well yesterday I ran into a Sagat player who beat me 2 rounds to 1. I gave him too much respect and didn't jump in on him, he kept mashing TU through my block strings because I'm no good at that anyways. He empty jump threw me like 3 times because I really didn't expect him to do it again.

I lose to him and I'm pissed about it, then he sends me a message that says that I'm lacking skills. I message him back and ask for a rematch. He doesn't answer. Then like 15 minutes or so later, I run into him again and sit there for about 1 minute with no answer I leave and then played some GAF matches.

Gotta love the guys who cower in fear of not having the last laugh. Reminds me of player matches where you start off with like 3 or 4 straight wins and if they pull one off, they quit or if they win 1 very close set, they quit.

I mentioned something like that earlier in the thread. I was learning to play a stick so I'm not nearly as good with it as I am with a pad at the time. I played an above average flowchart Ken and wasn't really playing to win rather than playing to get my zoning and timing right with the stick on real opponents. Things would be fine if it weren't for him constantly taunting in-game and on the mic, so loud that I could hear it through my music playing. He pretty much called me everything in the book since he thinks hes hot shit. So I decided to switch to a pad and invited him to a bunch of rematches but he chickened out and continued to taunt saying stuff like I'm not worthy. Even with a stick, I could trade rounds with him. With a pad, I would've destroyed him.

Kadey said:
I mentioned something like that earlier in the thread. I was learning to play a stick so I'm not nearly as good as I am with a pad at the time. I played an above average flowchart Ken and wasn't really playing to win rather than playing to get my zoning and timing right with the stick on real opponents. Things would be fine if it weren't for him constantly taunting in-game and on the mic, so loud that I could hear it through my music playing. He pretty much called me everything in the book since he thinks hes hot shit. So I decided to switch to a pad and invited him to a bunch of rematches but he chickened out and continued to taunt saying stuff like I'm not worthy. Even with a stick, I could trade rounds with him. With a pad, I would've destroyed him.

I turn off the mic :lol

I've never really had people trash talk to me... The closest one is "I'm sorry I spammed Lariat, but you were not able to counter them, so I kept doing them"

And countless rage quitters

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Hey I am getting better with the sticki lol. Papertiger GG =P

Case in point I just fought the Top 5 GP player on the XBL boards,negator323.... I almost won... in fact, had him... but he chipped me as both of us were with 0 HP practically, both a chip away. Nice guy. extremely great match

Top Bottom