• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

GeoNeo said:
Let'sGoJustin won their game and were forced to replay the team they beat due to some registration bullshit, and lost. The thread is blowing up on SRK. Also, some JPN posters are not helping things in Japan forums by bringing up Pearl harbor. A Japanese poster has replied in the SRK thread saying that no SF4 players or fans are pleased with this incident..be they from the U.S or Japan.

Kind of sad this happened. Evo is so welcoming to international players be they from Japan or other parts of the world, and now you have stuff like this going down which kind of leaves a bad taste in players mouths I'm sure.

Hopefully, the players from the LGJ team get their minds set back on SBO.

Meh, they would have gotten demolished anyways had they actually won the match. Losers should know their place and stop bitching as if they had a remote chance of winning the tourney.

Wow that thread has a bunch of clueless ass scrubs givin shit to the US players as if they're opinion is worth anything.

Marn said:
This is basically the story of what happened. Arturo's team didn't get picked, so we put Arturo on our team, kicked Jan off the team. Everything was OK'd by the organizer, he doesn't tell the other team and they have no information, so we start to play against FZ's team.

That is FUCKED up. Sucks that the US team had to suffer because of the T.O.'s incompetence.

edit - Also, in any competitive hobby, you can't call shit AFTER you lose. It's like in baseball, if an out at a base in the first inning, you don't bring that shit up after your team gets wrecked, you put it out THEN and THERE. They saw ART picking Dhalsim, but didnt' say anything until after they lost. No way that complaint should have been respected.

USD

Here's Marn's recount of what happened:

marn said:
This is basically the story of what happened. Arturo's team didn't get picked, so we put Arturo on our team, kicked Jan off the team. Everything was OK'd by the organizer, he doesn't tell the other team and they have no information, so we start to play against FZ's team.

Ricky goes and gets cigarettes, they rush us to play, so I go first. I sit down and they put up ALOHA (Zangief), and I'm like fuck well I guess I'm dead weight, so I clutch out a win and everyone's hella happy, then FZ (Viper) decides to go next, and I scrape that nigga FREE, and then I lose BARELY to Namameso (Honda). So afterwards we're like, alright Arturo next, so Arturo sits down, picks Dhalsim, and no one says SHIT. Arturo beats this mother fucker then everything goes to shit, they stop everything, we don't have a translator and they're like, they want to start over because they thought we had a Gief (Jan) and they didn't know we had a Sim. But we were like, no just start it after I beat FZ then, but they fucking declined that shit. So we had to start EVERYTHING over. Then they fucking put Kuroken @ Potemkin (Sagat) first, we put Ricky first, Ricky pulls out a win, then the Zangief comes back and beats all of us. Grimy. Ass. Shit. End of story.
Pretty lame.

faint smile said:
Meh, they would have gotten demolished anyways had they actually won the match. Losers should know their place and stop bitching as if they had a remote chance of winning the tourney.

This is exactly the type of scrub I'm talking about. Hating for no damn reason. It's called running a tournament properly and not fucking over your competitors.

faint smile said:

Terrible.

faint smile said:

You know you done fucked up right? You know that right?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
faint smile said:
Speaking of knowing your place, you do understand that new registrations are probationary, right?

That fucking sucks, but man do I love the drama of Street Fighter. So much better then Football and MMA(the only two sports I watch). Not exactly something to build a rivalry or grudge from though. Those Japanese players aren't the Japanese players who are going to come to Evo next year.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
It's unfortunate that some Japanese players are bringing up Pearl Harbor. All that's going to do is bring out atomic bomb comments from U.S. players and make everything uglier. I haven't read the SRK thread yet so that might have already happened actually.

I guess you Americans didn't learn from the ass wooping Diago gave you at evo. So maybe they'll teach you you're place at SBO. They'll send team justin back to America with japanese footprints all ever their faces after the first round.

MoxManiac

faint smile said:
I guess you Americans didn't learn from the ass wooping Diago gave you at evo. So maybe they'll teach you you're place at SBO. They'll send team justin back to America with japanese footprints all ever their faces after the first round.

You really don't want to stick around, do you?

faint smile said:

The topic was about running a tourney right.

I don't think you understand the conversation, but it's ok, ESL classes are really cheap now a days.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
faint smile said:

:lol :lol :lol

This is fucking trolling at it's finest!

:lol :lol :lol

I can't stop laughing!

SnowWolf said:
It's unfortunate that some Japanese players are bringing up Pearl Harbor. All that's going to do is bring out atomic bomb comments from U.S. players and make everything uglier. I haven't read the SRK thread yet so that might have already happened actually.

the pic marn posted made me :lol

SnowWolf said:

Didn't that actually come from the 2chan forum and not the players themselves? If yes then it's no different then 4chan or the live chat during live streams where most of the people chatting are complete forums.

But if it did come straight from the players then that would be pretty pathetic.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
wait, i most have missed something, but how did pearl harbour factor into resetting a tourney? the problem seems to be nobody told the other team that the us team subbed a player out. where does pearl harbour come from?

This thread is making me laugh. And we're just talking about the five on five tourney, right?

Cuz I'm still rooting for Marn/Justin, Combofiend/Alex and Fubarduck/???.

Spiderjericho said:
This thread is making me laugh. And we're just talking about the five on five tourney, right?

Cuz I'm still rooting for Marn/Justin, Combofiend/Alex and Fubarduck/???.
I think Arturo Sanchez is playing too. He's teamed up with Ameriken, right?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Pandaman said:
wait, i most have missed something, but how did pearl harbour factor into resetting a tourney? the problem seems to be nobody told the other team that the us team subbed a player out. where does pearl harbour come from?

Some dude from 2ch said "remember pearl harbor,hehe" on 2ch and Marn reciprocated with a picture of an atomic bomb.

Some random anonymous dude on an image board saying something like that and an an actual participant in the tourney replying with what Marn did are different things. I completely understand the frustration, but team US isn't doing itself any favors by acting the way it is over this. They got fucked over for sure, but they should just take the high road and concentrate on SBO since that's the tourney that actually matters. Pointing fingers and being petty isn't going to change what happened.

faint smile said:

faint smile
Banned
(Today, 01:14 PM)

:lol Nice!

He had 4 posts. :lol

V_Arnold

Comment for those Gil vs Iloveu Joe matches: a few missed anti-air TK, a few missed (and pretty obvious) Ultra on wakeup, especially when opponent moves wouldnt have hurt.

But not using BK that much is something to think about! She seems even less vulnerable to me that way, when she lands. Will think about that tactic.

About the American vs Japanese fight: at the EVO finals, I really have felt like that even tough Justin was really awesome, and he really should have won, the difference between mentality (like Daigo always sticking to his character, Wong switching, Daigo focusing only on the screen, Justin waking up after a won match, etc) showed to me that being really, really focused when you have to means a lot. And this is the only difference between the people, nothing more.

So when some troll comes in here, and taunts "americans", even if he really is Japanese, he throws away everything what is the finest Japanese player's good attribute - so, Faint Smile... epic fail?

Zozobra

Maybe I'm not searching properly, but I wasn't able to find anything.

Sorry if this has been asked already but are there any good websites/blogs/forums/wikis that are good resources for people new to SF4 or fighting games in general that give tips and advice on developing your skills for competitive play?

Zozobra said:

Sorry if this has been asked already but are there any good websites/blogs/forums/wikis that are good resources for people new to SF4 or fighting games in general that give tips and advice on developing your skills for competitive play?

www.shoryuken.com

Check out their forums, they have tons of stuff and actual tournament players that post there.

gibration

Zozobra said:

I usually recommend these websites for new players instead of SRK.
http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2008/jul/08/street-fighter-4-strategy-guide-hints-and-tips/
http://mycheats.1up.com/view/superguide/3163881/street_fighter_4/xbox_360

Arde5643

black_vegeta said:
True.

Well hell, check it out anyway...can't hurt! :p
The character specific forums have a lot of good information - it's best to lurk in the general threads though - lots of fails in that area.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Man, that's pretty messed up with what happened with the US team - especially when it sounds like they wouldn't have said a thing had Arturo lost...

And even still, the most they should have done was to restart from where Arturo came on, NOT the whole thing from scratch - that's dirty as hell right there.

GamerSoul

Timedog said:
gg's gamersoul.

You should work on blocking when you see me do a jump-in, I got a lot of damage on unblocked jump-ins. Also if you are getting up off the ground 90% of the time you should block low, this will keep you safe from most attacks. There are overhead attacks where you NEED to block high to block them, but more times than not people don't use these. You got me with a couple pretty sweet combos there. I couldn't really display any combo ability cause i'm new to arcade stick. You did a good job of not jumping in too much against a ryu. I'd just work more on your blocking skills and learn when it's safe to punish.

Sorry, I'm late. My sis had a fit and took her laptop and the modem. I had a feeling you had the arcade stick, those srk's came out so fast. You just had me the whole time. Yeah, you kept punishing me when I was trying to get up, I didn't know what to do.

Thanks for the advice. And you in Washington state? The signal was low but I didn't really notice any lag. I'm in Florida.

vg260

What is the event at which Capcom is rumored to say something about the SFIV update? Is it the upcming tourney or that gamescom thing?

Ugh, this is really frustrating trying to get EX Seismo > HJC > Burning Kick consistently on a stick. I was doing great this morning but it seems like it's slipping away from me. :lol

Still a fairly new player with stick but everything else is good. Got through her first hard trial but I took a break for now. Some tips on how to get her BnB consistently would be a great help. :D

RedAssedApe

Banned
Timedog said:
there's no fault on the US side if they okay'ed it with the tournament organizer first.

Could have just been mis-communication. After all, none of the US players speak Japanese. I'd like to hear an explanation that doesn't come from either Marn or Arturo.

2&2 said:
What is the event at which Capcom is rumored to say something about the SFIV update? Is it the upcming tourney or that gamescom thing?

Its SBO. The big japanese tournament that's going on this weekend.

On a side note...everyone should watch this amazing E Honda mirror match:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw8SUlK_5OM

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Rice-Eater said:
Didn't that actually come from the 2chan forum and not the players themselves? If yes then it's no different then 4chan or the live chat during live streams where most of the people chatting are complete forums.

But if it did come straight from the players then that would be pretty pathetic.

Ah, you're right, my mistake. See what happens with miscommunication?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Timedog said:
there's no fault on the US side if they okay'ed it with the tournament organizer first.

True - and really if you think about it, restarting the whole thing even when official team members played, and even changing order after seeing how the comp plays is a real bitch move - luckily this tournament is nothing important, but that is extremely poor on whoever was running the tournament's part...

Oh well, it's done, the real deal is tomorrow - hopefully what went down lights a fire under their ass - I want to see serious skill at SBO from the US because of this...

henhowc said:
On a side note...everyone should watch this amazing E Honda mirror match:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw8SUlK_5OM

I urge everyone, not just Honda users like myself, but EVERYONE to watch this fight - the suspense in the first round was killer.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
black_vegeta said:
True.

Well hell, check it out anyway...can't hurt! :p

oh shit, you're gnizzle858? I thought that was some random from SRK that added me on XBL. I'll play you soon, man.

I have some other dude with 858 in his gamertag. Is that some crew or area code or something?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Aljosa said:
Ugh, this is really frustrating trying to get EX Seismo > HJC > Burning Kick consistently on a stick. I was doing great this morning but it seems like it's slipping away from me. :lol

Still a fairly new player with stick but everything else is good. Got through her first hard trial but I took a break for now. Some tips on how to get her BnB consistently would be a great help. :D

I swear I can do everything easily but that.

kitzkozan

Timedog said:
It's only a good resource for people new to fighting games if they lurk for a long time instead of post.

SRK can be great to new members,if they can make their research and keep their mouths shut. :lol

SRK is both fantastic and inane,since it's a weird mix of crazy elitists,pricks,normal and cool folks,scrubs/newbies.

Newbies are usually trashed by the elitists,but some of them are actually quite cool and accepted by the SRK community.

Best thing as a newbie is lurking in the character specific threads. :D Posting in fighting game general or general SF IV is asking for being neg bombed. :lol

Top Bottom