• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
_dementia said:
Lariat spam works exceptionally well even on Hardest, for the corresponding achievement

That's actually what I did, but it's weird with the AI sometimes. Seth would usually focus it and take HUGE damage but the time I lost he would just grab me and do crap like that and it didn't work anymore. :(

henhowc said:
Black_Vegeta doesn't really have anything to prove . I've played him and he's no Justin/Arturo ;) but he's never claimed to be either.
henhowc said:
That being said, the US was there to prove their claim that they are close to the same level as in Japan. They didn't. Better luck next year. Hopefully we'll see some videos up soon so we can actually gauge how close their loses were.

lol, yup I'm sub average.

We cool Jared?? :p

Papercuts said:
That's actually what I did, but it's weird with the AI sometimes. Seth would usually focus it and take HUGE damage but the time I lost he would just grab me and do crap like that and it didn't work anymore. :(

Really, the only thing you have to worry about is his ultras and supers. Zangief is ridiculous. You see it especially in Survival and Time Trial. The computer presents no problem except for the characters with ultras that can blow throw his lariat (Chun, Cammy, etc).

I'd say every SF has had some type of glitch/move you can take advantage of. I remember playing 2I and just spamming air fireballs back and forth with Akuma. The computer would jump at you and it was Pringles!! In SF2, you could cheese (short, short, throw), loop Zangief's SPD or utilize redizzy combos or glitches.

I'm sorry to hear about the U.S. teams, but maybe this will help for the elites to step up their game. I think it's cool that Marn/Wong, Haunts/Magus, etc have traveled to Japan to level up and compete. Poongko, Daigo and Iyo were here for the Gamespot. Dan, Ryan Hart and Daigo were here for Evo. This is definitely making them into world warriors.

SF is so dope. Get Hype!!

Akuma, where's my stick. I want to get hype on PC.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Spiderjericho said:
Really, the only thing you have to worry about is his ultras and supers. Zangief is ridiculous. You see it especially in Survival and Time Trial. The computer presents no problem except for the characters with ultras that can blow throw his lariat (Chun, Cammy, etc).

I'd say every SF has had some type of glitch/move you can take advantage of. I remember playing 2I and just spamming air fireballs back and forth with Akuma. The computer would jump at you and it was Pringles!! In SF2, you could cheese (short, short, throw), loop Zangief's SPD or utilize redizzy combos or glitches.

Haha, yeah I noticed that. I got up to the level where you can't do special attacks and I'm afraid to try it without my precious lariat. :lol

It almost seems like every fighting game in general has had a move the AI gets destroyed by.

kitzkozan

Spiderjericho said:

I'm sorry to hear about the U.S. teams, but maybe this will help for the elites to step up their game. I think it's cool that Marn/Wong, Haunts/Magus, etc have traveled to Japan to level up and compete. Poongko, Daigo and Iyo were here for the Gamespot. Dan, Ryan Hart and Daigo were here for Evo. This is definitely making them into world warriors.

SF is so dope. Get Hype!!

Akuma, where's my stick. I want to get hype on PC.

I destroyed arcade mode on the hardest setting with Zangief and got the achievement on my second try.

it's all about knowing the patterns of the AI,especially Seth.Gotta wait for the opening,as you cannot lariat your way to victory.Jump-in when he's using standing fierce punch or a sonic boom.Lariat after a blocked shoryu or try to psychic ultra when he teleport. :lol

_dementia said:
wait, what?

SAGAT WILL CRUSH HIM.

Also, the idea that US in general is near japans level is laughable. Sure, some select few might be able to hang with the big boys over in Japan, but overall, the talent pool is not even close to the japanese level.

and yes, I actually WANT America to win these street fighter iv events. KOK is probably the only japanese player I actually like, since he has an awesome name and turtles character select timer in all the videos I've watched him in.

kitzkozan

Papercuts said:
Haha, yeah I noticed that. I got up to the level where you can't do special attacks and I'm afraid to try it without my precious lariat. :lol

It almost seems like every fighting game in general has had a move the AI gets destroyed by.

Best one was alpha 3(playstation version).
Cody sliding kick would work 100% of the time,since the AI wasn't programmed to block it. :lol

kitzkozan

Pop On Arrival said:
SAGAT WILL CRUSH HIM.

Also, the idea that US in general is near japans level is laughable. Sure, some select few might be able to hang with the big boys over in Japan, but overall, the talent pool is not even close to the japanese level.

and yes, I actually WANT America to win these street fighter iv events. KOK is probably the only japanese player I actually like, since he has an awesome name and turtles character select timer in all the videos I've watched him in.

Superior competition spur superior SF gamer. :D

Imagine if all the best players from the east,middle and west coast could play each other every day.The US scene would easily be on par with Japan,if not better.

US is way too big for that to happen,so the only way Japan could lose to the US is if the arcade scene eventually die.Without the japanese arcades,the US would be on equal ground.

kitzkozan said:
Superior competition spur superior SF gamer. :D

Imagine if all the best players from the east,middle and west coast could play each other every day.The US scene would easily be on par with Japan,if not better.

US is way too big for that to happen,so the only way Japan could lose to the US is if the arcade scene eventually die.Without the japanese arcades,the US would be on equal ground.

Yeah, that's the sucky thing about the arcade scene. When I was growing up (way, way back), SF2 was on almost every corner in NYC. I remember playing the game at St. Raymond's Catholic School's cafeteria then going home and playing it at the Bodega's. Back then arcade games were 25 cents.

SF2CE (or dash) was the first stand up arcade game I played that was 50 cents and people were willing to pay it.

It's obviously not like that. Before I joined the Marine Corps, I lived in Miami. There was absolutely no scene there except for some mall that was FAR away from my house.

New Yorkers and Californians (and it seems Dallas folks like FMF and Galactic) can find competent local competition, either through the arcades or console tournaments.

All the rest of us have to play online.

Askia47 said:
I wonder if any new SF4 announcements will happen at SBO. That would be AWESOME.

Probably not until JAMMA 2009. Supposed to take place middle of September. Want to say it was about the same time last year when we saw the first inkling of KOFXII.

Thanks for the matches Rice-Eater. I noticed the following reasons you won:

- You can juggle into ultra. This seems like an important thing to know with Ryu.
- Crossups. Clearly I don't understand them as well as I thought yesterday.
- I generally forget to use focus attack.
- You can turn hits into small combos. I'm barely using any combos right now.

You were really able to dominate from the air. If I was better at shoryuken I'm guessing I could stop some of that?

I think I also need to learn Ryu's normals better. I know some obvious good ones like c.MK, but he probably has some good stuff I'm overlooking.

Also, I'm far from perfect on this stick. I still hit directions that I don't want sometimes.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Yeah, showing off anything SF related at the Jamma 2009 show would be the best bet.

I really hope Iyo and Shiro take out the final. :D

Parallax Scroll said:

- You can juggle into ultra. This seems like an important thing to know with Ryu.

You were really able to dominate from the air. If I was better at shoryuken I'm guessing I could stop some of that?

I think I also need to learn Ryu's normals better. I know some obvious good ones like c.MK, but he probably has some good stuff I'm overlooking.

Also, I'm far from perfect on this stick. I still hit directions that I don't want sometimes.

You want to play?

GT: GNizzle858

Parallax Scroll said:

I'm not that good myself so I feel kind of strange giving you advice. But here are a few of my suggestions.

-Know your Ultra sets up. Ryu has plenty and you should keep a eye on the opportunity to use them, especially the corner stuff. I'll list them if you don't know them.

-I noticed you like to play defensive. Work on your zoning and SRK on reaction if that's how you like to play. I'm terrible at those two things, so I try to play the wake up mind game to deal damage.

-a tactic I was using was pushing you away with jabs to set up a cross up. Watch out for those and try it yourself. It works in low level play, so you can get away with it quite a bit before running into people who know how to defend against it.

I still play on a pad but I do own a stick and am terrible with it so I think I know some of the growing pains that you're going through. As you may have noticed, I had no idea what I was doing when I didn't play Ryu. Even the other Shoto's are foreign to me. It was fun and I hope we can play again. I'd like to do better with my FADC Ultra combos which I screwed up most of the time against you.

Mr Jared

Unnnnng. I just got SF4 PC working for 2-players on my Egret II. It's so awesome having your own SF4 arcade cab :lol Especially one where Zangief is Hollywood Hulk Hogan.

MIMIC

Banned
Haven't played Championship mode in a while. So, I hopped on and lost 4 straight finals. :lol And you'll never guess to whom:

1. Ryu
2. Ryu
3. Balrog! Nice to see you.
4. Ryu
5. Ryu (I actually won this one)

I'm now realizing how difficult it is to play a decent Ryu with Fuerte. That juggle into Ultra is SOOOOOOOOOO annoying. I really wish that it was removed. Why should one player be rewarded when you trade? And sometimes I can just tell that a Ryu is just sitting on that light SRK just for the Ultra. So it becomes a long drawn out session of trying to bait it out.

Le sigh.

And my RSF was on the fritz. ;_; 80% of the time, I could only get just ONE damn hit out. WTF. Maybe I need to hit the training mode and see what the heck I'm doing wrong. But it worked just when I needed it against a Balrog (2nd round?). I was cornered. I'm one lame heatbutt away from death....so, I FA him: HP > HP > HP! I win :D Clutch!

V_Arnold

~Devil Trigger~ said:
Top 4

Umeso (EH) / Dashio (VI)
vs.
Iyo (DH) / Shiro (AB)

Gosho (RU) / Kyabetsu (VI)
vs.
Mago (SG) / Nemo (CH)

Looks like Viper players finally starts to shine. 2 Viper in top 8, no other char is represented twice. Not like it is a big enough sample, but still.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Was told that second team with the Viper are KOFplayers. Oogosho is known as the best Ralf in the world. Maybe those guys should get invites to Evo.

Most of the KOF fans I know are LOLing at the results.

Edit: they're not Chinese. Got them confused with Dakao.

V_Arnold

Teknopathetic said:
That's Top 4, as it's 2v2.

Also, only 1 sagat. Zomg god tier.

Yeah, that is right. Said top 8 since each one is a team. And I am more and more confident that being an awesomely god Sagat requires such an interesting mentality that it really is a niche for a lot of players right now.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
is sagats bad mobility starting to take its toll now that everybody is aware of him and what he can do?

MIMIC said:
Haven't played Championship mode in a while. So, I hopped on and lost 4 straight finals. :lol And you'll never guess to whom:

1. Ryu
2. Ryu
3. Balrog! Nice to see you.
4. Ryu
5. Ryu (I actually won this one)

I'm now realizing how difficult it is to play a decent Ryu with Fuerte. That juggle into Ultra is SOOOOOOOOOO annoying. I really wish that it was removed. Why should one player be rewarded when you trade? And sometimes I can just tell that a Ryu is just sitting on that light SRK just for the Ultra. So it becomes a long drawn out session of trying to bait it out.

Le sigh.

And my RSF was on the fritz. ;_; 80% of the time, I could only get just ONE damn hit out. WTF. Maybe I need to hit the training mode and see what the heck I'm doing wrong. But it worked just when I needed it against a Balrog (2nd round?). I was cornered. I'm one lame heatbutt away from death....so, I FA him: HP > HP > HP! I win :D Clutch!

You don't need me to tell you this, but don't jump in on Ryu haphazardly when he has an ultra stocked.

Fuerte's moves have decent priority again Ryu.

Air-throw > LP SRK, and pretty much everything.
Stupid splash move > SRK
Stupid spin air throw > SRK

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Spiderjericho said:
Hey Mr. Jared, no disrespect, but with all the hubbub about making fighting games into a competitive sport, why is it that non pro players cannot comment on events, just like the average Joe Six Pack
With the explosion of popularity, thanks mainly to SF (and to an extent by SC4, T6, KOFXII, Blaz Blue, etc), a lot of people are beginning to understand concepts, strategies, etc. They might not have the execution to play at a high level or know who all the big names is...

but all of that 09er ish on SRK is tired. You want your community to grow but then disrespect the people who influx in. Makes sense.

My girl can't play, but I'm not going to call her an 09er. As we saw with SFIV, peeps like Young Legend and others can come out of nowhere and become serious threats.

SRK will never change. It's one of the reasons why I'm here, and one of the reasons I've stopped taking fighters as seriously.

Really, the past few months SRK has become a parody of itself. It's like watching wrestlers when they get too old.

arstal said:
SRK will never change. It's one of the reasons why I'm here, and one of the reasons I've stopped taking fighters as seriously.

Really, the past few months SRK has become a parody of itself. It's like watching wrestlers when they get too old.

I used to be on SRK for years and quit for the same reason. I still play fighting games but I don't do the weekly tournament thing anymore mostly because I can't stand most of the people.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
How many "big names" in the tourny scene actually actively post there and how many of them have this attitude?

Haunts has been extremely patient and welcoming... the vocal majority (?) generally tend not to be the ones that are actively out there seeing this all first hand. How many of these people made Evo etc.?

My guess, again, is very few.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
Spiderjericho said:
Hey Mr. Jared, no disrespect, but with all the hubbub about making fighting games into a competitive sport, why is it that non pro players cannot comment on events, just like the average Joe Six Pack?

I've been playing SF since day one (have almost every console release and can remember the magic day in 91 when I went to Nathan's in Yonkers, NY and saw SF2) and thrown a ton of quarters at it. I'm not going to lie and say I'm a great player. I'm aiight. I've played at CTF and can probably only hold my own/beat maybe 65 to 70 % in the thread (FMF, Q, Caj, Fubar, Haunts, Saqs, Yeb, Galactic and a few others are the exceptions), but it doesn't mean I can't enjoy the game and the sport.

With the explosion of popularity, thanks mainly to SF (and to an extent by SC4, T6, KOFXII, Blaz Blue, etc), a lot of people are beginning to understand concepts, strategies, etc. They might not have the execution to play at a high level or know who all the big names is...

but all of that 09er ish on SRK is tired. You want your community to grow but then disrespect the people who influx in. Makes sense.

My girl can't play, but I'm not going to call her an 09er. As we saw with SFIV, peeps like Young Legend and others can come out of nowhere and become serious threats.

I'll destroy you! Not really, I don't care for SF4 much... Also note, YoungLegend didn't come out of nowhere. Jared wasn't really there when they little guy attended ksII.

And I agree, we have this high and mighty say about things (people that have been involved in the community for a long time). yet, at the same time we want this community to grow and be recognized. Personally, I'm happy the community is growing, just not happy its with SF4. Its a great game, but... Ugh, I don't feel like getting in to it right now.

But I agree in the fact its rough seeing people talk about the community that have not really been apart of it, get decent at one game and think they have some say. Its like the thread on what should be changed in the next update possible sf4 update. many people have no idea what their talking about.

McBradders said:
How many "big names" in the tourny scene actually actively post there and how many of them have this attitude?

Haunts has been extremely patient and welcoming... the vocal majority (?) generally tend not to be the ones that are actively out there seeing this all first hand. How many of these people made Evo etc.?

Most of the people that act like douchebags on SRK are nobodies. That's still like 99% of the forum though.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
McBradders said:

Most of the truly big names don't bother with this crap. They post occasionally, but mostly just to confirm matches/attendance things like that.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku! said:
Most of the people that act like douchebags on SRK are nobodies. That's still like 99% of the forum though.

Pretty much. It's a great source for basic info. But its filled with mostly scrubs. Gaf is no different though. You have to take grain of slat with most things people post. Another thing is, a lot of the top players can care less about catering to the community, Haunts happens to care, most others don't.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
The funny thing is most of the really top players are nice guys. We've come a long way from the Jeff Schaefer/Mike Watson days, though I do blame their attitude for influencing how the SF comm developed (He kinda was the Phil Hellmuth of SF back in the day)
The old agsf2 newsgroup was like that back in the day as well (USENET used to be used for things other then porn and piracy)

Artiro's a pretty cool dude, Cole's pretty helpful .Choi is pretty cool, Valle seems ok. Admittedly i don't know them well, I'm just going off how I've dealt with them online and at tournies.

There are worse sites then SRK. The SNK sites are particularly putrid.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
From http://forums.shoryuken.com/showpost.php?p=7296001&postcount=227

Seeing Makoto's Vega beat both Tokido's Akuma and Ojisanboy's Sagat was incredible. The whole place was cheering for the guy because we all knew what an uphill battle that had to be. Unfortunately he and Dan lost the next fight, and we didn't get to see it.

I hope we get to see these matches sometime soon with a mic on the crowd

For Marn Vs Naiki, Marn came out strong and damn near perfected Naiki in the first round. But after a dizzy, Marn taunted before doing damage, and this lit a fire under Naiki's ass or something because he came back hard and beat Marn in the next two rounds.

:lol :lol

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Looks like there were some mistakes

Final Results

Gosho (RU) / Dashio (VI)

beats

Iyo (DH) / Shiro (AB)

they won

and LOL Rufus(Gosho) beats the Best Sagat(Mago) in the world, i need Videos, stat!!

~Devil Trigger~ said:

Final Results

Gosho (RU) / Dashio (VI)

beats

Iyo (DH) / Shiro (AB)

they won

and LOL Rufus(Gosho) beats the Best Sagat(Mago) in the world, i need Videos, stat!!

I'm very interested to see some of these matches. I'm not familiar with either of the winners. I remember how the tourney ran for SBO quals here. Was there no loser's bracket at the real tourney?

Ledsen

~Devil Trigger~ said:

Final Results

Gosho (RU) / Dashio (VI)

beats

Iyo (DH) / Shiro (AB)

they won

What? No. Kyabetsu was the Viper.

Interesting SBO results. Single elimination format always gives surprises.

On SRK, don't really frequent the main forum, but the regional boards are great for meeting local players and keeping in touch with the community.

kitzkozan

Character variety is much better in Japan. :D

The gap between the US and Japan is bigger than what many SRK members said. :p

Being a god Sagat player require a ton of skills,which is why Sagat is getting trashed in the states.You still need the skills since Sagat is a defensive/zoning character.He's a slower and stronger Ryu with less ultra setup.It's been said plenty of time that he's one of the weakest god tier character if not the weakest.

One other thing is sure: Ken is pretty much MIA :lol He's one of the three golden child of SF in general along with Ryu and Chun Li so I expect him to be buffed in SF IV dash.

Top Bottom