• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
_dementia said:
Why must you insist of playing with a pad
Budgetary reasons. I have Killzone 2, Dawn of War 2 and MLB '09 all coming within a week of each other. Buying 2 MadCatz pads nixes at least one of those games.

CAVE343

DenogginizerOS said:
Budgetary reasons. I have Killzone 2, Dawn of War 2 and MLB '09 all coming within a week of each other. Buying 2 MadCatz pads nixes at least one of those games.

That sucks, but playing SFIV with the D-pad is fighting an uphill battle

Halvie

Banned
bad-joey said:
What does it matter? It's only during the close ups. It's not like the game is complete shit because of that. Normal people probably can't even see the difference

More upset about the 0AA thing than the dumb looking closeups.

wRATH2x

Banned
TurtleSnatcher said:
Dude.. quit demanding.. I hate people who do that. If you can't do it yourself then don't demand and make all your posts include that request.

I didnt mean to annoy you,but it was only 3 posts in 2 threads about Street Fighter,so whats the problem?

DenogginizerOS said:
and you'd still be playing on a pad

doesn't seem worth the investment if two weeks later you'd just go back to your FPS and sports games

I feel freaking lucky my gaming tastes are so narrow.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
I don't like doing this really as I don't usually publicize my own work in any forum, but I thought some of you might find it interesting regarding where each fighter ranks in terms of tiers for Street Fighter IV. I've played it for two weeks and a new build should be arriving next week for the final review code.

Street Fighter IV Preview / Tiers

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
DenogginizerOS said:

Wait for Dawn of War 2 to drop in price and pick up a FightPad instead. :D

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Perdew said:
Anyone else catch on that all the characters are the ones featured in the Udon series? Gen, Rose, Sakura, Dan, Gouken, and even Yun and Yang made appearances, hence their inclusion in the anime. They seemed to have only dropped Dee Jay and T. Hawk, but no characters featured in SFIV (anime included so far) have not had storylines in the comic series.
Yeah I noticed this as well. Thought it was kinda odd.

CAVE343

Caspel said:
I don't like doing this really as I don't usually publicize my own work in any forum, but I thought some of you might find it interesting regarding where each fighter ranks in terms of tiers for Street Fighter IV. I've played it for two weeks and a new build should be arriving next week for the final review code.

I've read the article, fun read. but the genre is stated as "shooter" :)

Caspel

bad-joey said:
I've read the article, fun read. but the genre is stated as "shooter" :)

Yeah, I have no control over their site since I'm a freelance journalist. I just turn in the article and let them do the rest haha.

Caspel said:

Gief is mid-tier?

Granted, I've yet to play the game, but this is contrary to everything I'd heard.

tapedeck

Caspel said:

Man those tiers are way different from everything Ive read. I really hope Abel isnt at the bottom of the pack...I really want to get good with him.

Perdew

Caspel said:

Are you defining tiers at the level of high end play, or how good each character is to win with given a few weeks experience? A lot of these seem off from everything I've read.

Caspel

Mr Jared said:
Honda, Sakura, Dhalsim and Abel are low tier, but Guile isn't? :lol Akuma is top but Zangief and Balrog are only mid?

Yeeeaaaaaaaaah.. Okay.

Well I've based them on how newcomers to the game will handle the fighters along with returning SF fans ability to control their favorite fighters. I've had several people try out the game and I've judged how they managed to control each fighter. Some were SF2 fans, some weren't.

But please don't be so contradicting without having the home versions yourself. Until you have the game in your hands, you really don't have much say at this point.

Perdew said:
Are you defining tiers at the level of high end play, or how good each character is to win with given a few weeks experience? A lot of these seem off from everything I've read.

A few weeks of experience. This is for the casual players who only dabble with the game. They'll want entertaining character to use that are easy to learn.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
bad-joey said:
I'm curious about how the tiers will develop once the game is out for a good while.

Tiers are pretty decently established already, but as it's been mentioned in the past, the space between them are smaller than they used to be. It remains to be seen how the console specific guys fit in though. I expect Akuma and Gouken to place high though. All depends on how easy it is to combo/juggle into their Ultras/Supers it seems.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
Caspel said:

Sorry... But no. You're way wrong -I can't believe what I read- Blanka low tier? These types of articles sadden me and will continue to as more people write the same type of BS that are not hardcore/competitive players.

PhatSaqs

Banned
n3ss said:
Sorry... But no. You're way wrong -I can't believe what I read- Blanka low tier? These types or articles sadden me and will continue to as more people write the same type of BS that are not hardcore/competitive players.
Seriously. That link is full of fail. Instead of tiers you should have used "ease of use".

that doesnt sound like a real tier list. It sounds like more of an opinon based tier list of one person's impressions.

read his impression for each charge character and he will continue to repeat charge charge as a negative

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
PhatSaqs said:
Works fine for me. Check my STHD stats :p
User error?
I think so. I am a total novice when it comes to SF games. I love the look of this game and have been waiting for a good fighter. Perhaps I will give it a go initially with the X360 controller and then go from there.

Caspel

n3ss said:
Sorry... But no. You're way wrong -I can't believe what I read- Blanka low tier? These types of articles sadden me and will continue to as more people write the same type of BS that are not hardcore/competitive players.

You must understand that every "tier list" will be different based on each level of competitor. This list isn't for the hardcore but for ease of jumping into the game and being competitive. I highly doubt any players that don't spend the majority of the time playing the game will be able to use Blanka to his full advantage with all of his charge moves. Hell out of the five or six people that have used him that I've watched play, they all resort to electricity and nothing more.

But no list tier list will ever be the same.

-PXG-

NinajHeartless said:
Me!
I'm from Central Jersey
Around Lawrenceville to be exact

No shit? :lol that is damn close.

I'm starting to get decent at Mahvel. I love how it feels, especially the dashing. But yeah, this game IS retarded. So many infinites and stupid combos.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
Caspel said:
Well I've based them on how newcomers to the game will handle the fighters along with returning SF fans ability to control their favorite fighters. I've had several people try out the game and I've judged how they managed to control each fighter. Some were SF2 fans, some weren't.

But please don't be so contradicting without having the home versions yourself. Until you have the game in your hands, you really don't have much say at this point.

A few weeks of experience. This is for the casual players who only dabble with the game. They'll want entertaining character to use that are easy to learn.

Still wrong and still full of fail. And yes, I've played the home version quite a bit, as much as you if not more.

jonah777

Caspel said:

lol... so Balrog killed an elephant with a single punch? Is there a visual of any kind out there for this event?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i'm glad the tier list keeps changing/ differing from site to site. i think with the huge reception this game is getting, we'll see a lot nubs gamefaqs'ing the tier list and just maining the top ones.

not that i'm worried, just saying.

Perdew

Caspel said:

That's an important clarification, hopefully people read this. Tier lists are usually a concern at higher levels of play; maybe you shouldn't promote what you're talking about as such. I noticed in the Dhalsim section you mentioned you need to master his teleport, but in a normal tier list it's assumed you're playing each character to their max potential.

tapedeck

Caspel said:
You must understand that every "tier list" will be different based on each level of competitor. This list isn't for the hardcore but for ease of jumping into the game and being competitive. I highly doubt any players that don't spend the majority of the time playing the game will be able to use Blanka to his full advantage with all of his charge moves. Hell out of the five or six people that have used him that I've watched play, they all resort to electricity and nothing more.

But no list tier list will ever be the same.
You have to understand that when posting a "tier list" everyone is assuming you are talking about character potential, not just how easy they are to use the first time you pick them.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Caspel said:

Balrog, Bison, Sim and Gief should be a lot higher.

If you're talking about ease of use, Gief and Rufus are way up there.

Caspel

jonah777 said:
lol... so Balrog killed an elephant with a single punch? Is there a visual of any kind out there for this event?

according to Capcom fiction, he has

While running errands for M. Bison (Vega in Japan), he killed Dhalsim's elephant with a single Gigaton Punch.
-Balrog at Street Fighter Wiki

and to n3ss, I'm sorry you feel that way but any list you provided I'll probably disagree with too.

As for my "negativity" for charge characters, it's not negativity but rather I don't see anyone beyond the hardcore fighters taking full advantage of their raw power.

Indeed. That's not a tier list. Even by calling it a tier list, people will completely miss the point of what it's supposed to be when reading it.

zodiak

360 version + fightpad preordered.
Also got my 360 back from RROD repair today so I should be all set...
Can't wait!!! :D

haunts

Bacon of Hope
I really hate this division between hardcore and casual. A lot of "hardcore" players are people who just simply use good strategy and have decent execution. Anyone can get to that level just playing a couple times a week. Giving people excuses to not pick up a character they flow with and play this game to its full potential is not a mindset I can get behind.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
Perdew said:
That's an important clarification, hopefully people read this. Tier lists are usually a concern at higher levels of play; maybe you shouldn't promote what you're talking about as such. I noticed in the Dhalsim section you mentioned you need to master his teleport, but in a normal tier list it's assumed you're playing each character to their max potential.

Pretty much this.

Tier list are meant that to show potential of a character to his/her fullest potential based on two people of similar skill and how it would play out. Your list is clearly not that and shouldn't be listed as such cause it will confuse a new person coming into the scene. I agree that no ones tier list will be exactly the same, but seriously yours is way off, even with existing characters that are in the arcade that have been played at high level for months now in Japan.

But again, your article will be one of the many I will disagree with...

Caspel

Perdew said:

Yeah, I fully expect every "tier list" to be different. As of right now, I fully stand by my tier list after having the game for two weeks. On Friday I should be getting my full review code and testing out the online. That's when I'll fully understand the limits of each character.

But as of right now, what I have to go by is this preview build that allows me to face any difficulty level of characters and friends that I want to try out the human aspect.

I haven't encountered the "master versions" of each character in regards to online opponents making use of each character's "max potential" so I hope you all understand that I'm going off first impressions basically since, like I stated, there's no online component.

jonah777

Caspel said:
according to Capcom fiction, he has

While running errands for M. Bison (Vega in Japan), he killed Dhalsim's elephant with a single Gigaton Punch.

oh god... what kind of errand... lol. I'd pay MS points if they included a clip of this on Live.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Caspel said:
Yeah, I fully expect every "tier list" to be different. As of right now, I fully stand by my tier list after having the game for two weeks. On Friday I should be getting my full review code and testing out the online. That's when I'll fully understand the limits of each character.

But as of right now, what I have to go by is this preview build that allows me to face any difficulty level of characters and friends that I want to try out the human aspect.

I haven't encountered the "master versions" of each character in regards to online opponents making use of each character's "max potential" so I hope you all understand that I'm going off first impressions basically since, like I stated, there's no online component.

Im sorry to break this to you, but you wont understand the limits or full potential of each character until like 3-4 years from now, none of us will.

-PXG-

bdizzle said:
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sadly I won't be getting the 360 version til much later. But I will be getting the PS3 CE and PS3 TE stick (whenever the stick ships from Amazon).

I will be getting platinum in this game!

lol cry more

As long as the motherfucker upscales, I'm happy.

Caspel

n3ss said:
Pretty much this.

Tier list are meant that to show potential of a character to his/her fullest potential based on two people of similar skill and how it would play out. Your list is clearly not that and shouldn't be listed as such cause it will confuse a new person coming into the scene. I agree that no ones tier list will be exactly the same, but seriously yours is way off, even with existing characters that are in the arcade that have been played at high level for months now in Japan.

But again, your article will be one of the many I will disagree with...

That's totally fine. But since you've apparently played more than me, would you be so kind of telling me of which characters should be in the low tier?

I am sure my tier list will change once I get the full review code this week and it'll change over time as new strategies are formed for each character.

Caspel

jonah777 said:
oh god... what kind of errand... lol. I'd pay MS points if they included a clip of this on Live.

LOL, could you imagine him walking up to Dhalsim's elephant and just giving it one heck of a punch and then seeing Dhalsim's face? If this story holds true, then I agree, it's a crazy story.

Arde5643

Uhhh... just don't ever bring this "tier list" article to SRK forum without good backup information of the changes between the arcade and console forum.

Aeris130

Arde5643 said:
Uhhh... just don't ever bring this "tier list" article to SRK forum without good backup information of the changes between the arcade and console forum.

But, Cammys hooligan throw is hard to do. That makes her low tier.

Let me write article.

Top Bottom