• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
haunts said:
I really hate this division between hardcore and casual. A lot of "hardcore" players are people who just simply use good strategy and have decent execution. Anyone can get to that level just playing a couple times a week. Giving people excuses to not pick up a character they flow with and play this game to its full potential is not a mindset I can get behind.

You may hate it, but I believe with fighters, there is definitely a clear division between hardcore and casual. Much more so than with any other mutliplayer genre. I don't think they will change even with the in depth tutorial mode in SF4. The execution part of it is the truly divisive factor IMO.

I honestly don't think it's a bad thing, but it's there.

Mattlikewhoa said:
I'm sitting here at work thinking of excuses I can use to call in sick, in order to play SF4 on launch Damn this thread

I've already been approved for my day off work. :D

Oh yeah, can be like, prohibit tier talk? I don't even think putting it in the OP is a good idea.

h3ro said:
Guys, I have a dilemma. I'm a casual player (played ST on SNES fanatically when I was younger though) and I'd like to pickup a better controller for SFIV.

I have SFHD on PSN and I'm fine using then DS3 D-Pad, but I want the 360 version of IV for the online play, more friends, etc. Which controller would you pick up, the Mad Catz SFIV Fight Pad or a Hori EX2 stick?

Those are my choices right now... what would you go with?
EX2 is shit. Some people beast with it though. I think Sirlin uses it in HDRemix, lol.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Kintaro said:
You may hate it, but I believe with fighters, there is definitely a clear division between hardcore and casual. Much more so than with any other mutliplayer genre. I don't think they will change even with the in depth tutorial mode in SF4. The execution part of it is the truly divisive factor IMO.

Oh yeah, can be like, prohibit tier talk? I don't even think putting it in the OP is a good idea.

SF4 from what I've read, the balance isn't VF, but it's still pretty good. Tiers aren't that important until you get to Evo/SBO level

As for execution being the dividing factor, people like me are proof all you need to be a solid player is timing and heart. I can't execute for crap, yet I've gone to tournies and have occasionally scalped people who have placed/won tournies at Evo.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Kintaro said:

Yeah, I was blindsided by how heated tier talk can get. I agree tho :) It's a very touchy subject for anyone.

And to gutter_trash, Vega is such a sad character for his transition to SFIV. His Izuna drop is still fun to play around with though.

Of course the two mains I want to play.. or currently play are the two bottom tiers.

El Fuerte and Vega (Claw) though I see some players can be good with these guys so I will stick with them (ie: See Tatsu and Bebop videos from Arcade Infinity)

Jaruru

Kintaro said:

but the thing is, we may not have the game on 17th in Canada... so I may/may not take 17th off ><

Let's get this shit on GAF. Added GAF SFIV yesterday, and I'm ready.

I'm gonna Ken your asses.
ok, you'll all own me, but it hasnt stopped me from adoring street fighter for 16 years

Kintaro said:

Gah...I'm going to shoot my manager a email about a doctors appointment I can't get out of since I've booked it a few months ago:D

Jaruru said:
hi5. I had the same thought last week... :D

:lol High five back at cha!!! Good to know I'm not the only one!

CAVE343

I'm going to play this game even if I get my ass handed time after time. I'm sure going to spend a lot of time on this game.
But in the end I don't really care about winning or losing, I know the game is going to be fun.

Another question, how are most of you guys playing with a stick? On the lap or on a table?

duffey

_dementia said:
Do any of you have an idea of who you'd like to main yet?
I sort of have a good idea based on videos so it'll be Ryu, Viper, Rose, and maybe Balrog/Boxer. I'm sure I'll add and subtract from that when I actually start playing the game though.

Ronabo

I really wanna learn to play as Rufus. He looks fun to play. Plus he's the one character I most resemble :lol :D

Arde5643

TurtleSnatcher said:
Of course the two mains I want to play.. or currently play are the two bottom tiers.

El Fuerte and Vega (Claw) though I see some players can be good with these guys so I will stick with them (ie: See Tatsu and Bebop videos from Arcade Infinity)
I think with El Fuerte if you can do the loop combo regularly, you'll be fine in competition since the loop combo is quite fearsome indeed - really good damage and very high chance to stun.

Of course, this is assuming you've got all of Fuerte's mixup and run-away tactics down pat.

Claw sucks because there's no way his Super OR Ultra will connect unless your opponent is sleeping. The rest of his game is kind of decent, but he was always a hard character to use.

Kintaro

arstal said:
As for execution being the dividing factor, people like me are proof all you need to be a solid player is timing and heart. I can't execute for crap, yet I've gone to tournies and have occasionally scalped people who have placed/won tournies at Evo.

I guess I didn't state my opinion clearly. Sorry. I guess it all boils down to attention span. Do people have it enough to stick with fighters of this type, to get decent at it? Perhaps I'm a cynic when it comes to modern gamers, but I don't believe so anymore. The attention span and time investment, more so than anything else except maybe RTS' to even get decent, is the dividing factor.

No big though. I'm on GAF. I come here to really not give a shit what casuals think.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Kintaro said:
I don't think tier talk should be prohibited. That discussion is worth having among a certain group of people. The problem is that that group is really small right now, but it doesn't stop everyone else from dogpiling the discussion.

CAVE343

Kintaro said:
I guess I didn't state my opinion clearly. Sorry. I guess it all boils down to attention span. Do people have it enough to stick with fighters of this type, to get decent at it? Perhaps I'm a cynic when it comes to modern gamers, but I don't believe so anymore. The attention span and time investment, more so than anything else except maybe RTS' to even get decent, is the dividing factor.

No big though. I'm on GAF. I come here to really not give a shit what casuals think.

I think SF will attract lots of casual players in the first few weeks. The question is indeed how long will they stay?

Kintaro

bad-joey said:
I think SF will attract lots of casual players in the first few weeks. The question is indeed how long will they stay?

<shrugs>

It's a question that all multiplayer games ask themselves. The only thing at this point we, the fighting game fans, should be wondering is... will online play be good? I guess it just comes back down to that.

I lean towards being a PS3 fan so my usual internal reply this generation is "I don't care if casuals stay. Just give me a good GAF group to play with." :lol

ph15h

Neo Member
WasabiKing said:
I remember a time when people used to just play and not worry about shit like this

Have you tried Capcom's online store? Free shipping, too.

:(

Street Fighter® IV Collector's Edition (PS3)
Street Fighter® IV Collector's Edition (PS3)
More Info
Official Site SOLD OUT PLAYSTATION® 3

Guled

bad-joey said:
hopefully long enogh to get the 10 wins in a row achievement/trophy

n3ss

aka acr0nym
bad-joey said:

It indeed will. I'm wondering this as well though. How long will the casual actually stay with this game, especially with high level play around. If anything they'll just complain of how cheap certain things are just like in HDR and of course my response will be, "Once you learn to stop it I'll do something else." :lol

No_Style

bad-joey said:

Hopefully for awhile. Like people have said it depends on their access to competition. I know that some of my friends are picking this up thanks to the recognizable characters. I'm hoping to rile them up and get into some more competitive games.

The frame counting is scary to me, but I can see its place for the super hardcore. Thank goodness I'm not up there to take advantage of tiers and whatnots. The last thing I want to do with a fighting game is to break it down to a science.

I plan on playing Fei Long, Chun, Ryu, Sakura.

I hope they patch Fei Long and Sakura, though, I hear they can't throw into their Ultras. : (

Nakazato

bad-joey said:
Another question, how are most of you guys playing with a stick? On the lap or on a table?
I do both my Harp 3 is heavy enough to play on my lap with out it moving. Yet my table is close enough to use it to play but i have to bend to it.

Kintaro

As for what character I'll learn first? Gouken I guess. I don't know. I'm always partial to Ken too. Meh.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
haunts said:
Ohhh.. Its cool you are a Sagat fan, I am too!

I really like you! :lol

I will probably put most of my time into Ryu. Gonna test around C Viper, Abel, Gouken and El Fuerte as well though, see if I like those guys better :D

I've been waiting for this.

The official SF4 thread is here. 10 Pages already. Wow.

Good to see many people will grab this.

This game will hurt my wallet, but damnit, it's a fighting game worth the money to spend on. And it's pads and arcadestick. :D

_dementia said:

Shit, I'm going to dabble with a bunch of characters,,,but I think the main ones will be:
E.Honda (definately, he's my man in HD Remix)
Cammy
Sakura

n3ss

aka acr0nym
StickyFingers said:
I've been waiting for this.

The official SF4 thread is here. 10 Pages already. Wow.

Good to see many people will grab this.

This game will hurt my wallet, but damnit, it's a fighting game worth the money to spend on. And it's pads and arcadestick. :D

This thread is gonna be crazy long before the game is even out.

[Nintex]

I'll probably pick Ryu and Chun-Li as my mains, but I usually suck at competitive games like Street Fighter so I'll finish the arcade mode first before I try the online options.

Darkman M

_dementia said:

If gouken is not broken ill main him:D I love his style compared to other shoto. I think i might look into getting serious with Balrog as well. Ryu would come easily for me being ive played with him as a main in just about every street fighter game ive played.

I think I've settled on Ken, Dan, and maybe Fuerte. I wanna try out Abel as well. I'll probably jump around to more people as time goes on though, but I'll stick Ken and Dan for sure.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Kintaro said:

I just dont think the divide is as large as people make it out to be. With SFIV you can get real far with out doing anything "fancy" or hardcore, just by playing solid. I just see a lot of articles that almost promote people to stay at a certain level instead of encouraging them to go with a character they enjoy and get the most out of the game. I'd say its much easier to pick up SFIV rather than say StarCraft or Counter-Strike.

Even casual players are putting a hardcore investment into this game monetarily, so why not get factual information out there to help those who do want to be able to compete with whichever character they choose? If too many opinions are floating around its only going to further the mind set that people cant play on a competitive level.

For instance, there was this Sagat player in SoCal, he didn't do any crazy link combos or anything, he just spaced well, threw a shit load of tiger shots and punished jump ins. Real basic stuff, and he is killing SoCals top players. Like arstal was saying, it just takes some good ole fashioned timing and heart.

Also, you may not like the tier talk, but the match ups are real and it should be discussed. I will say that for a lot of people that they wont matter in this game, but it should give people and idea what they are up against when they hop online or whatever.

Spy

I don't think anyone should take tiers seriously when the game hasn't even hit consoles yet. Tiers can drastically change.

Nightz

Looks like I'll be using E. Honda and Ryu as my mains. I'd like to try out the new characters though and see how they play.

No45

I'm just watching those Ruliweb videos now. Check out Gen's face as he sees the SHAMWOW™ incoming (ps3_04 file @ ~3:10). Priceless. :lol

As for mains, I've always played Shoto so I'm going out of my way to try something different this time - as well as learning how to play with a stick. I think I'm going to go with Zangief. Although I am strangely drawn to Rose...
SHAMWOW!

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
For those who dont have it already and want a street fighter fix pickup alpha anthologies and anniversary edition for the ps2. Anthologies is a great compilation and it has some hidden games. One of them is alpha 3 upper which has some sf2 characters added in. Im having a lot of fun with this game. Anniversary edition has 3s, enough said. I have a launch edition ps3 with BC so I can play with my vshg.

img1233535792472.jpg

Oh yeah the anniversary edition guide comes with the 3s soundtrack.

Top Bottom