• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Just a word of warning, do not play a guy called KaxBlasterd(I think that's how it's spelled) on the PC version. He shows up as having 4 bars so I don't think it's the connection, I think the guy purposely plays with high settings on a PC that can't handle it. So the game is really laggy, and he plays Sagat who is lag friendly. I've played him about 3 times I think and from the looks of it, the game is consistently moving at the same 15 or so frames per second so I don't think it's internet lag. I'm not the first to say this, I've actually met another guy saying the same thing. Again avoid this guy, unless you or your character can play under those conditions.

DigiMish

Fuerte has some of the worst offense in the game, but what he really has is a variety of tools to unleash on players who are knocked down and are waking up.

DigiMish said:
Fuerte has some of the worst offense in the game, but what he really has is a variety of tools to unleash on players who are knocked down and are waking up.

Wat? wut can fuerte do to you if ur knocked down, nothin special

Good games _dem! Im feeling better and better about my rufus, but I still need to be able to pull off more of his fundamentals consistently. Your abel is nice as hell...felt like you were really balanced. You dont really pattern much, so it was hard to make assumptions on what you would do next.

FindMyFarms said:
Wat? wut can fuerte do to you if ur knocked down, nothin special

He has a pretty good mixup game with downed opponents with the splash/cross-up splash. After a few of those you can catch a lot of people trying to dash out with run and slide... If the slide is blocked he has really good priority on the throw. Couple splashes on the opp and you can catch them trying to jump out with his anti-air (srk motion with kick?)... His fierce punch is a pretty cross-up is it not? I see a lot of Elfs use that little flip kick move to cross-up, or fake it, while opponents getting up also. shrug

GGs abstract alien and fmf

Alien, watch those crossups and incorporate AAs more. I jump too much

FMF, why you so cheap man stop fucking throwing

DigiMish

What I really like to do with Fuerte is to run towards the opponent, then stop right next to them and normal grab them - only bust it out once or twice during a game though.

FindMyFarms said:
Haha yeah GG's man. Too bad about the lag, you probably would have got me way more with the ultra after cr. fp.
I dunno, I am usually able to hit them even on 3 bar connections.. I was just really rusty, against abstract alien I was doing the same thing

though, there were one or two times when it felt like there were dropped inputs, like when i'd get nothing at all instead of a late Ultra

I like your Fei, super badass. I never fight them.
I don't think you played your main... I would like to try sometime.

Gootecks sent a mass spam about:

Bar Fights II is going to be October 11, 2009 at Jakes in Pasadena, CA. The line-up is coming soon.

He said there's going to be some high-profile East Coast players that will attend. I think he needs to lock down Yeb. Hopefully, he can get Arturo Sanchez to come too.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Threi said:
the big purple man returns!

XBL: threi

hopefully someone with a camera because i need to study the mistakes i will make.

Yo, we gotta link up--those 2 games we played I could already tell your Dictator was gonna be a problem. Plus its good practice for my Gen to go against a fast/evasive character.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Ken ken ken ken ken ken ken. Foward mk, fireball. Wakeup DP. Fullscreen taunt. Yep still the same as ever. Oh, and LAG!

K.Sabot

Seems like the later into the day I get, the worse the latency is.

Feel free to add my XBL GT: Stuffed Tiger. I'm looking for some good asskickings to level up on.

Duress

I'm having a real hard time with Blanka.

I jump in the air, up ball or rainbow roll.

I move forward toward him, horizontal ball. I get near him and try to hit him, electricity.

Wake up horizontal balls that barely pass me and hit me.

It has become real frustrating.

Oh yeah, and not to mention the ultra which pretty much chip damages me to death.

Probably should read up more :(

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ok, so about Focus Attacks, I understand their use in absorbing hits and cancelling, but not so much employing them as an actual attack. I have the feeling I'm missing something utterly basic that rationalizes when to use them vs a normal attack beyond the obvious counter hits.

If anyone wants to play me on LIVE and you won't spam me with Hadoukens or do that annoying unblockable jump kick bullshit where you land over my head like so many people do on online, then add me and let's play some matches.

XBL: Permutated

bistromathics said:
nuh uh, it's fear.

I concur.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
permutated said:
If anyone wants to play me on LIVE and you won't spam me with Hadoukens or do that annoying unblockable jump kick bullshit where you land over my head like so many people do on online, then add me and let's play some matches.
It's not unblockable.

permutated said:
Unfortunately with the amount of lag they have it usually is. :\

I live in California but I rarely see any green bars, usually just reds. WTF.

So you are saying I can jump at your normally and you can block.. but if I do a cross up then you suddenly cant? sorry but learn to play against everyone and anyone.. or else you will be stuck in this rut where you will have to make public pleas to get players to play agst you...

permutated said:
Hint: block the other way.

TurtleSnatcher said:
So you are saying I can jump at your normally and you can block.. but if I do a cross up then you suddenly cant? sorry but learn to play against everyone and anyone.. or else you will be stuck in this rut where you will have to make public pleas to get players to play agst you...

Uh. Huh.

Feel better now that you've talked shit to someone on the internet you've never met?

Hitokage said:
Start your own match, somebody with a better connection will magically appear.

Cool, thanks :--)

SuperMattyFighter2T said:
He has a pretty good mixup game with downed opponents with the splash/cross-up splash. After a few of those you can catch a lot of people trying to dash out with run and slide... If the slide is blocked he has really good priority on the throw. Couple splashes on the opp and you can catch them trying to jump out with his anti-air (srk motion with kick?)... His fierce punch is a pretty cross-up is it not? I see a lot of Elfs use that little flip kick move to cross-up, or fake it, while opponents getting up also. shrug

Iuno I dont think so. Whos a good Fuerte

@DigiMish - dood thats just a forum dont be lazy

@_Dementia - Yeah I usually mess around with random characters online cuz if I use Rog my timing gets messed up offline :/ Next time we play if lag is real nice then I"ll throw him out there for a few matches.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
All this lag that we've been getting lately, I pretty much just stick to using charge characters or grapplers. The down forward people fare off worse.

Zissou

Duress said:
I'm having a real hard time with Blanka.

I jump in the air, up ball or rainbow roll.

I move forward toward him, horizontal ball. I get near him and try to hit him, electricity.

Wake up horizontal balls that barely pass me and hit me.

It has become real frustrating.

Oh yeah, and not to mention the ultra which pretty much chip damages me to death.

Probably should read up more :(

Which character do you use? Blanka has some match ups where he's at a sizable advantage (i.e., vs. gief, claw, etc.) so if you're using one of those characters, it's an uphill battle. A good blanka will almost never use rainbow roll (unless it's the ex version), it's terrible. The horizontal balls on wake up are something you just have to try to guess as correctly as possible whether or not it's going to cross up or not. Once you figure out his tricks, blanka loses a lot of his tools, but a lot of it is dependent on the character you pick.

Duress

Zissou said:
Which character do you use? Blanka has some match ups where he's at a sizable advantage (i.e., vs. gief, claw, etc.) so if you're using one of those characters, it's an uphill battle. A good blanka will almost never use rainbow roll (unless it's the ex version), it's terrible. The horizontal balls on wake up are something you just have to try to guess as correctly as possible whether or not it's going to cross up or not. Once you figure out his tricks, blanka loses a lot of his tools, but a lot of it is dependent on the character you pick.

I use Chun Li, so if I get hit it takes a lot out of me. I still have difficulty judging the range of electricity, even though I know it.

The slide under my kikoukens doesn't help much either.

Thanks for the advice.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Duress said:
I use Chun Li, so if I get hit it takes a lot out of me. I still have difficulty judging the range of electricity, even though I know it.
All I know with Blanka is that his slide is incredibly unsafe on block (read: ultra) and when he does his ultra, jump back and ultra him after the hop.

Zissou

Duress said:

The slide under my kikoukens doesn't help much either.

Thanks for the advice.

The match really evens out when you get your ultra. You can punish pretty much any blocked ball with ultra, so once you have it, the blanka player has to change their play style completely. If the blanka player throws out a random slide, you can ultra that as well, so it really shuts down their anti-kikouken game, since the main tools to get around it (slide/ex-ball), if used improperly, equals free chun ultra.

Chun can also harass blanka on wake up better than other characters, since his ex up ball whiffs against her weird cross up kick thing, so if they use that as a crutch, you can make them burn meter for free.

permutated said:
Uh. Huh.

Feel better now that you've talked shit to someone on the internet you've never met?

Everyone that posted after you told you what to do and answered your "impossible" issue with the correct answer. Why don't you try it instead of posting and asking for people on GAF to play you and to not use cross ups or post this whiny crap i quoted above.

Thats like asking someone "Hey play me but don't use special moves lolz" I mean.. its a part of the game.. adapt and learn to defend and play the game.

Playing people better then you and losing is part of getting better. I have never played a fighting game longer then 10 total hrs prior to SF4.. I lost a ton.. I learned things and now I can actually beat some decent guys locally and get some small streaks.

Not to mention asking that type of request won't probably net you many people willing to obey since sometimes people don't even realize they cross up if they are just jumping around and lets say you dash forward or jump back and just land yourself in it.

Pay attention to where people jump agst you. See what type of kick/punch they are doing.. and block accordingly. It will take time but you will get the hang of it. I hated cross ups like you but then I started using them and they add a whole different level of confusion and technique to a player. Trust me you will get the hang of it. Keep trying.. Try actaully doing them yourself in a game. Thats the best way I learned. Do it against a test dummy.

Some examples..

Ryu/Ken - Jumping MK crosses up
Gen - Jumping MK
Fuerte - Jumping HP
Sakura - Jumping LK
Chun - Jumping LK
Blanka - Jumping MK
Bison - Jumping MK

etc etc

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
TurtleSnatcher said:
Do it against a test dummy.
Training Mode Record/Playback is so great for experimenting with stuff and situational training. Need to improve on FA-absorbing fireballs? Record Ryu spamming fireballs and then play against that event loop.

I just wish I could do more elaborate scripting.

Yeah, turtle is right...its really just a case of exposing yourself to it more often and becoming used to seeing it. Lord knows I had no idea what to do when I first encountered intentional cross ups as a strategy, but upon practicing it myself and having it done to me, I was able to adjust to it. I can see it coming now, and although I cant always react to it correctly every time, I can do so much better than before.

If you are serious about getting better, listen to turtle, he's exactly right.

As a Ryu player, Blanka use to be a nightmare for me but now I think I have a real good idea of how to approach that match up. Basically I play almost as lame as they do. I hit and run, leave them alone after a knockdown because the first rule of all Blanka players is to wake up ultra if his opponent is anywhere near them. When they have bars, I try to bait out the EX balls if possible.

Basically if I have a life lead, I'll hold it if I think the Blanka player is a good/decent one. Make them come to me so I don't have to deal with the horizontal/vertical ball BS that they want to do all day.

I actually just beat a Blanka in the finals of Championship mode. I actually beat him twice already, but I guess he was gunning for me. He comes out even more patient then before and really should have won the first round. But then he tries to chip me to death with his ultra which backfires when I EX SRK. Then I do a SRK, FADC, Ultra to win the first round. I guess this demoralized him because I won round 2 pretty easily.

BTW, I had a match with a Akuma player in Champ mode. He beats me 1st round, I come back and beat him pretty easily in the 2nd and 3rd. He messages me and says I was lucky. I ask him if he wants a rematch, he agrees. I say first to 5, which he didn't say anything about. Anyways I beat him pretty easily in the first 2 matches and he leaves on his own without a word. I didn't say anything back but I hope he learns something from this before he thinks about doing it again.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Hitokage said:
All I know with Blanka is that his slide is incredibly unsafe on block (read: ultra) and when he does his ultra, jump back and ultra him after the hop.

unless it's maximum distance. but yeah, using the slide up close = hello ultra. Most of blankas moves are like that actually. :(

HELL...YEAH...great games!
Damn, you have me freakin pumped right now! Playing you is like trying to memorize a fucking dictionary. So diverse and well rounded with many characters. Good lord, your Zang has the agility of spiderman, i swear :lol I will do much training, and our next encounter will go differently...

*shakes fist*

Totakeke

Abel rant of the week.

Man, feels like someone let the cat out of the bag and told everyone Abel suck massively against gief. Now I keep meeting people counterpicking Abel as Zangief and even Kens who come back and pick gief. And screw those stupid counterpicking games, I'm in none of that. ;/

You can beat shitty giefs, but it still takes more effort than any other character.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
you guys on the look out for the tgs sf4dash info?

Cant seem to find anything

Top Bottom