• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Zissou

God's Beard said:
Necro? Fuck necro.

It's kind of weird how the shift in gameplay systems from 3rd strike to IV changed how low health characters like necro (dhalsim equivalent) and akuma play, going from all-or-nothing rush down characters to run-the-fuck-away characters. Seems like necro would be pretty redundant with sim and seth given how those sorts of characters panned on in the first rendition of IV.

Imm0rt4l

tapedeck said:
My bet is there will either be air blocking or some kind of air focus attack.

they better give gouken something nice after demon flip, because air focus would really undermine his air parry. I don't like the idea of air blocking at all, keep that shit in alpha along with custom combos.

I'm betting akuma will get his tenma gou zanku.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Imm0rt4l said:
they better give gouken something nice after demon flip, because air focus would really undermine his air parry. I don't like the idea of air blocking at all, keep that shit in alpha along with custom combos.

I'm betting akuma will get his tenma gou zanku.
For the record I HATE air blocking, I pray they never use it outside of alpha.

_dementia said:
Maybe they'll make a neutered version of CB and turn it into an EX attack
Kinda like Ryu's Shinku Tatsumaki was a super in Alpha and became an EX move in SFIII and IV.

I like the way you think.

Having to use a whole meter, Ultra or otherwise, for Corkscrew Blow would be pretty much pointless. Then again, we are hoping for the -same- Dudley we got in 3s... this isn't 3s...

I mean you can't cancel a regular move into Ultra like you can a Super so that right there will automatic changes for Dudley no matter what.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
This all sounds awesome, and I love the way SF IV plays but Im always up for something new :)

I wonder if, since the Revenge meter is 2 tiered, if one Ultra will be for half stock and the other for full stock (almost like in MOTW).

For that matter, allowing cancels into Ultra at the cost of half the Revenge or half/all of the super meter would make some Ultras USEFUL while the damage scaling for combos would keep their damage toned down so you don't end up with Sagat eating your health in one shot.

This thread is moving fast based on conjecture.

I hope a lot of this stuff turns out to be true except the air ultras and air blocking. And I hope you can combo ultras now, just scale the damage down.

Shito

Spiderjericho said:
I hope a lot of this stuff turns out to be true except the air ultras and air blocking.
No leak is talking about air blocking: this point is just pure gaf speculation! ^^

Threi

notag
hikarutilmitt said:
I wonder if, since the Revenge meter is 2 tiered, if one Ultra will be for half stock and the other for full stock (almost like in MOTW).
That would actually be REALLY awesome.

A lot of the appeal for SF IV was back to the basics type mechanics.
Agreed. I find that finding quirks to simple mechanics is MUCH more entertaining both to watch and to play than just knowing complex mechanics.

jabipun

I don't know about this air blocking business.

Throwing in air blocking kind of just further complicates things. Maybe not for me, or for you - but SF IV sold well because it catered to both.

It's very easy and tempting on part of the developers to design SSF IV Dash or whatever for the Daigo's or Justin Wong's of the world, but that doesn't make for a long lasting community that builds itself from the grass roots level.

Cowie

- Rufus can cancel-break the last hit of Spectacle Romance, or the launch kick of Space Opera Symphony.

What does cancel-break mean? Should I be excited?

I guess the next question becomes.. will my unconditional love for Makoto override the fact that there's no way I'll be better with her than I am with rufus? Is the new chick cute? Will none of this matter because I finally finish learning viper? STAY TUNED.

Zabka

I really hope there aren't 2 Ultras per character. This game is already weighted a bit much towards defensive play for my taste.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
jabipun said:

Throwing in air blocking kind of just further complicates things. Maybe not for me, or for you - but SF IV sold well because it catered to both.

It's very easy and tempting on part of the developers to design SSF IV Dash or whatever for the Daigo's or Justin Wong's of the world, but that doesn't make for a long lasting community that builds itself from the grass roots level.
FFS. There is no info suggesting air blocking, I was simply speculating cause of the air ultras and whatnot. And I do NOT want air blocking...and from the looks of it neither does anyone else. I hope that clears that up.

BitchTits

jabipun said:

These 'leaks' haven't mentioned air blocking have they, just posts here in the thread?

I completely agree though, and I think all the stuff the makers of SF4 said whilst it was in developement with regards to it being aimed at the wider audience, makes me think they won't abandon that philosophy. Adding in too much technical stuff will turn off the general crowd, and it might be another 10 years before we see SF5!

BlueLegs

Zissou said:
It's kind of weird how the shift in gameplay systems from 3rd strike to IV changed how low health characters like necro (dhalsim equivalent) and akuma play, going from all-or-nothing rush down characters to run-the-fuck-away characters. Seems like necro would be pretty redundant with sim and seth given how those sorts of characters panned on in the first rendition of IV.
Necro plays nothing like either of those two characters, exception being the air drill and the stretchy limbs thing. He is a pure rush down character, he's worthless if played with a keep away mind set.

Nothing worth arguing about though, just let me dream. :D

n3ss

aka acr0nym
I personally don't care for SF4, mostly play it randomly... All I want is a more offsenive friendly game. I know most of the things that bug me about this game (casuals love), will stay the same. Just make it more offsenive game, I beg of you.

vertopci

TurtleSnatcher said:
Prepare to be disapointed since you obviously didn't read the last few pages ? :p

I refuse to believe the rumors!

Unless one of the characters I mentioned is rumored as being in

n3ss said:
I personally don't care for SF4, mostly play it randomly... All I want is a more offsenive friendly game. I know most of the things that bug me about this game (casuals love), will stay the same. Just make it more offsenive game, I beg of you.

Defense wins championships son!!!!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
So these rumors are coming from credible sources? You guys seem to be readily accepting everything as fact.

Steaks

Lyte Edge said:
So these rumors are coming from credible sources? You guys seem to be readily accepting everything as fact.
Eh, I am going to say it's pretty real. I actually have nothing to do nor actually know the sources on this rumor though.

Edit: I wonder if Psycho Punisher has anything to do with Tyrant Punisher.

Jenga

Banned
even if all of this is true, we've yet to hear the balance changes. the entire cast could get 9 new ultras, we'd still need to know all the changes before we call stuff broken.

also, five bucks says siberian blizzard would either be an ultra airgrab or gief slamming down on his opponents hugo style

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
_dementia said:
guard break bar pls

nah

the way SF4 is, in some match-ups some characters HAVE too block alot, i mean just of the top; Honda/Zangief vs Sagat/Akuma, Abel vs Akuma...ect, and FAD is not as safe as parry

Guard break would be in a Street Fighter 5 the way things are now, they'd have to change the way the game is played overall.

Threi

notag
bob_arctor said:
What the hell? That's what made it badass. See also: Daigo Parry Of The Forever.
Its fun to watch when someone has it completely down but FA is the superior move.

Despite not looking so, a comeback without the parry system would be more impressive.

fubarduck

Lyte Edge said:

People who played the build in Tokyo for a private TGS event just weren't very close-lipped. Sure, they could still change things, but the current build has everything that has been stated.

Steaks

Threi said:
Its fun to watch when someone has it completely down but FA is the superior move.

Despite not looking so, a comeback without the parry system would be more impressive.
While focus attacks are cool, they aren't better than parries. Haha.
bob_arctor said:
What the hell? That's what made it badass. See also: Daigo Parry Of The Forever.
If you actually knew/played high level 3s you would pretty much despise parries. I don't think many people on GAF know how retarded, complex and powerful option selects involving parries are. I played tournament 3s for years and... eh, the game is really really fun, but the game should not have had a long lasting tournament scene.

PS Hi fubarduck.

Top Bottom