• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
permutated said:
If I might chime in...

The parry system was amazing, even as someone who didn't fully understand how to use it in every situation I still saw how much it added to the complexity of SFIII.

Would love to see it return proper.

Yep- but the effects of the parry

-fireballs were only used in combos, so there was zero long-range game in that series

-a person could be an idiot and win matches just on execution

The only effect is really had on SF was dumbing down the game and allowing for undeserved comebacks, and added an unnecessary execution requirement.

FA is a good system that added to SFIV. All parry did was make the game inferior to ST.
If there is parry SFIII-style, I will not buy, and a lot of the SF community will not either.

Steaks

arstal said:

-fireballs were only used in combos, so there was zero long-range game in that series

The only effect is really had on SF was dumbing down the game and allowing for undeserved comebacks, and added an unnecessary execution requirement.

FA is a good system that added to SFIV. All parry did was make the game inferior to ST.
If there is parry SFIII-style, I will not buy, and a lot of the SF community will not either.
Not to start an argument on parries (gonna drop it unless I see more inaccuracies).
Fireballs in 3S sucked, the characters that had good fireballs actually saw use in them (Oro, Urien, Akuma air FB, Remy, Ryu's EX). Shoto fireballs were pretty useless in general because they put you at a disadvantage on HIT, usually leading to a free punish by any character with a solid rushing super.

No, you need knowledge, general timing and experience to win even with good execution. A lot of "execution" is knowing what a parry trap is, when to use it, what kind of option selects you have with parry, what distances to empty parry, and your character and the other character's max ranges. There aren't many fancy combos in 3rd Strike, you can win with basic super combos.

For the record, I do not exactly like parries, but 3s is still a really fun game that I enjoyed playing in tournaments for years, I just do not think it is the best game ever.

kensk said:
Seeing parry utilized to its full potential makes me want to throw up a little.

Just saying. While it only only added some complexity, it removed a lot of it too, and also was just needlessly hilarious and dumb in a lot of situations. Option selects are too good.

:lol

I see your point!

bob_arctor said:
Now that the current console only characters will be in the arcades with this update it'll be interesting to see where people in Japan will take Gen, especially if he's improved. And I'm trying to picture Makoto's walking animation and huge ass hands and feet in 3D but it kinda scares me.

The problemo is if they add more characters to the console version or update it like they did with the TS Dreamcast version or SFA3 console versions (except Saturn).

Say no to:

Guard Breaks
Whiffed normals building meter
Parries (red, green and yellow)
Air Blocks
Throws doing 20 percent damage
Custom Combos
Roll Cancels
Karas

Steaks

!(•_•)! said:
Quit hating Henaki, you know you love parries. SFIV' with SGGK please!!!!
I LOVE SGGK *does anything on wakeup against Chun-Li* *loses*

Edit: Also I am salty they put Seth in SF4 but didn't bother putting in Urien in the update.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Spiderjericho said:
The problemo is if they add more characters to the console version or update it like they did with the TS Dreamcast version or SFA3 console versions (except Saturn).

Say no to:

Guard Breaks
Whiffed normals building meter
Parries (red, green and yellow)
Air Blocks
Throws doing 20 percent damage
Custom Combos
Roll Cancels
Karas

You make good sense. I don't mind kara-specials or kara-SPD's, but kara-normal grabs should go.

TimeKillr

arstal said:
You make good sense. I don't mind kara-specials or kara-SPD's, but kara-normal grabs should go.

Hell I think Kara-specials are sucky too. They still are the result of a glitch (much like Roll Cancelling is in CvS2).

On a side note, has anybody seen the new funny stuff in SF4?

Kara-focustaunts? :)

Basically, you kara a taunt off a focus while absorbing a hit.

It's most easily done when focusing a fireball - just do mp+mk~fp+fk

It's pretty funny. Our gief player showed us at our weekly tournament we run here and we were all laughing pretty hard. I think it's a good alternative to dashing, too, but it's harder to do on reaction.

Dizzy-4U

TimeKillr said:

It's pretty funny. Our gief player showed us at our weekly tournament we run here and we were all laughing pretty hard. I think it's a good alternative to dashing, too, but it's harder to do on reaction.
Haha, just tried it. It's great :D

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
arstal said:

Pretty much disagree on all of the above. I hate the fireball spam of classic SF and loved that it was basically eliminated in 3rd Strike. Up close and personal is how I like it. And SF4 Ultras have saved many an idiot. And way more easily. But who cares, it won't be in the update. But Hugo parry to Gigas is still king.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
bob_arctor said:
Pretty much disagree on all of the above. I hate the fireball spam of classic SF and loved that it was basically eliminated in 3rd Strike. Up close and personal is how I like it. And SF4 Ultras have saved many an idiot. And way more easily. But who cares, it won't be in the update. But Hugo parry to Gigas is still king.
Balrog.png

:\

Also, what is a "Shinkuu Hadouken"? Is it something that warrants sakura not getting another ultra, cuz her current one, while it looks nice to juggle into, does ass for damage. And what is an 'Alpha Counter'?

edit: hmm i looked up shinkuu hadouken and it looks like a bigass hadouken. How is this not an ultra?

The parry system is my fav in all of sf history, but I do believe FA is of equal quality. Not really sure how it can be considered easy or cheap, when the only reason you were caught in a parry was because your opponent read you like a damn book.

Dizzy-4U

bistromathics said:
TGS goes till sunday. I wouldn't expect anything today, right? You don't start the show with a showstopper.
Well, It's like 6:35 am in Japan I think. I wouldn't expect any news from there right now =/

Steaks

TimeKillr said:
Hell I think Kara-specials are sucky too. They still are the result of a glitch (much like Roll Cancelling is in CvS2).

I could have sworn you cant kara anything into a taunt because taunts have the lowest move priority in the game except for normal attacks.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
bistromathics said:
Balrog.png

Also, what is a "Shinkuu Hadouken"? Is it something that warrants sakura not getting another ultra, cuz her current one, while it looks nice to juggle into, does ass for damage. And what is an 'Alpha Counter'?

edit: hmm i looked up shinkuu hadouken and it looks like a bigass hadouken. How is this not an ultra?

heh I main Gen and Abel. Haven't used Boxer not once.

TimeKillr

bistromathics said:
Balrog.png

Shinkuu hadoken is the name for Ryu's super. Sakura has had that move in a lot of her SF incarnations.

Alpha Counter is a SFA-only counter system where you execute a command (typically back to down + p or k) while blocking (during blockstun is a more accurate description).

It cancels your block with an attack. IIRC in Alpha 1 it didn't cost meter but you were limited to 1 per match or something. In Alpha 2/3 it cost meter (half of your bar?). It's been a while since I played the Alpha series. :) It's pretty useful.

kensk said:
I could have sworn you cant kara anything into a taunt because taunts have the lowest move priority in the game except for normal attacks.

It's strange. Maybe focus is an exception. :)

I was thinking that using this, we could probably do focus karas into other things, but the only thing that could come to mind would be throws. I'll have to check that out, but it *might* be possible to do mp+mk~lp+lk to absorb a single hit and cancel the absorb into a throw. Or maybe kara the focus into a lariat. Anything more than one-input moves would take MUCH too long for the kara to work (I think).

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
bob_arctor said:

If you like that, then there are other fighting games that fit that mold.

It's not fireball spam once you learn how to play that style. I appreciate a good keep-out artist a lot more then I appreciate someone who knows a combo. It takes a lot more skill then up close and charging in like a boar all the time.

As for SF4 ultras, they're obvious to see coming outside of combos, and the easily comboable ones are something I don't like.

I still think the best meter system of all time was Sam Sho 5 Special though.

Alpha counters= guard cancels= used in many other games- most notorious are KOF series, Real Bout series, and Vampire series.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
TimeKillr said:
Shinkuu hadoken is the name for Ryu's super. Sakura has had that move in a lot of her SF incarnations.

Alpha Counter is a SFA-only counter system where you execute a command (typically back to down + p or k) while blocking (during blockstun is a more accurate description).

It cancels your block with an attack. IIRC in Alpha 1 it didn't cost meter but you were limited to 1 per match or something. In Alpha 2/3 it cost meter (half of your bar?). It's been a while since I played the Alpha series. :) It's pretty useful.
hmm...what does the 'back for 2 and 2' mean in "One super, two ultras. Except Sakura, who has Shinkuu Hadoken back for 2 and 2." I dont really get how that doesnt mean that sakura's second ultra is a ryu-style ultra.

TimeKillr

bistromathics said:
hmm...what does the 'back for 2 and 2' mean in "One super, two ultras. Except Sakura, who has Shinkuu Hadoken back for 2 and 2." I dont really get how that doesnt mean that sakura's second ultra is a ryu-style ultra.

It's simple -

This means that Sakura has 2 supers (Shinkuu hadoken(?) and her sweep super) and 2 Ultras (her old one + a new one).

bistromathics said:

Sounds like her Shinkuu Hadouken is a second super (will be like Ryu's) and she'll have a second Ultra.

Parrys are awesome. It's what made 3rd Strike 3rd Strike.

But. As you can see, it polarizes the community. Some people love it, some just hate it.

I love parries, but 4 needs to be its own game. No need to try to be a 3rd Strike (parries) or an Alpha (air block, custom combos). Just let 4 be 4.

kitzkozan

:lol My dick is hard. :p

Goddam Street fighter hype always get to me.

It's simply time for Capcom to stop screwing around and show us this update so we can already plan on who we will keep or drop playing. :D

I think SSF IV sound fantastic and could become the best SF yet.It's a lot of expectations,but it's going to end up my game of the decade or biggest disappointment.

If Gouken is not in the update,it mean Ryu will finally have his complete arsenal of moves from III: Deijin hado,shin shoryuken. :lol Ryu is already the most played character,so can you guys imagine how popular he will be in SSF IV. :D

I think it would be kind of awesome if Sakura's shinkuu was like her Marvel Dark Version's Shinkuu, since her FB is a throw back to the marvel kind too .

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
So does anyone know if Capcom is having a conference today? I think day two of TGS starts soon...we need a damn trailer asap!

DR2K

Banned
SSJChar said:
wow all this sounds horrible. why? because capcom is probably going to charge another 59+ dollars for this.

And you have the option of not purchasing it so why are you complaining? It'll be worth every penny.

You're complaining about a company releasing a sequel to a game that sold multiple millions of copies worldwide. A sequel that adds 10 new characters....

Have fun fighting those battles guy.

kitzkozan

SSJChar said:
wow all this sounds horrible. why? because capcom is probably going to charge another 59+ dollars for this.

SSF IV is going to be a huge update over vanilla IV. :D The core mechanics of the game will probably go through a big overhaul along with new stages+music.

I am definitively going to pay the price for what might be a timeless classic. :D

TimeKillr said:

Alpha Counters are equal to guard reversals in VS. or Vampire. In Alpha one, each character only had one alpha counter. Said counter ate up one meter (out of a total of three).

Alpha 2 allowed each character to have two alpha counters (one kick, one punch) and ate up one meter. BUT...they were very abused, as they kind of acted like a parry. One could do them almost instantly if you saw an attack coming. Ken's was the worse, as it did like 15 percent. Just like TS, Ken and Chun were pretty buff in this game because of their alpha counters, retarded level 1 custom combos and normals/specials.

They changed to 1.5 meter in Alpha Gold, which made them a lil bit more fairer.

In A3, they made them a blow back move to get the opponent off your back, did little damage and cost you guard meter.

But seriously, Capcom has a great system in SFIV. They just need to do a few minor tweaks and balance the characters a bit.

God's Beard said:
One thing that I miss from Sf3 are the taunts that actually do things. If Dudley's rose doesn't come back I'll be pissed.
Qs defence buff was totally radical. Combos using Necro's tongue were quite the rage for a while too...

Ah 3rd Strike, how i love thee

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Cromulent_Word said:
Qs defence buff was totally radical. Combos using Necro's tongue were quite the rage for a while too...

Ah 3rd Strike, how i love thee
The taunts, the character specific pre-fight confrontations, the bonus stages..3rd Strike just oozes style. I really miss the look and sound of that game...the overall look of sf4 was a bit of a step back imo.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
TimeKillr said:
It's simple -

This means that Sakura has 2 supers (Shinkuu hadoken(?) and her sweep super) and 2 Ultras (her old one + a new one).
ohhh i get it. i thought it was some kind of charge character lingo :lol

tapedeck said:
The taunts, the character specific pre-fight confrontations, the bonus stages..3rd Strike just oozes style. I really miss the look and sound of that game...the overall look of sf4 was a bit of a step back imo.
While I do like the look of sf4, outside of its foundation(which is equal to 3s imo), it is a step back in every category for me. Music, replay, stages, less options, small touches, boring ultras...

Maybe dash will bring it all back. I do like the speed and weight of sf4 though, it feels so good.

SSJChar

DR2K said:
And you have the option of not purchasing it so why are you complaining? It'll be worth every penny.
I'm complaining because i'm a consumer. To me this shouldn't warrant a new disc release which it probably will be, but rather a large DLC pack. it also irks me that capcom games usually cost 10 dollars more than most other games, and also because SF4 only came to consoles 7 months ago. though of course just because they might announce a new sf4 soon doesn't mean it'll hit consoles anytime soon and heck, it might not even have the capcom tax, but small things like those mentioned above irritate me. well that and capcoms championship mode update made me mad because of how they made the community even more dispersed by adding another online mode with different tiers without removing an old one(free championship, g1, g2, g3, sg, in addition to the previous modes. Its really a bitch to find a good connection game much of the time), and having a really really crappy idea for the replay system. I also didn't like how there were console only characters for sf4. Its fun watching many of those tournament streams where someone uses a character you use, but since alot of japanese tournaments seem to happen in the arcades, you will never see some of those characters being used in tournys like sbo.

Steaks

I payed 60 dollars, how is that 10 more dollars than 60 dollars?

Also 10 brand new characters, along with what I can only assume are more features over the original console release, probably warrants a brand new disc release. This is assuming of course, they do add more features. It would suck to pay 60 dollars for only 10 new characters. If they add stuff like more extensive tutorials in game, better netplay, and replays for everything ever, then I would pay 60 dollars for this no problem.

Of course, considering the time I'd put into the game, it would be worth 60 dollars anyway, I probably put entire days of my time into SF4, so whatever. I got miles out of that price.

I personally dont mind it being a fully priced disk release at all. Ill pump more hours into this game than every other game I get this gen combined(outside of tekken 6), so it will be well worth the money for me...assuming that I like it as much as I like regular sf4. Im not arguing against them if they choose to make it a lower priced dlc item though, thats cool too.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Yeah, a lot of those complaints are totally valid, but not really related to why you're bummed about a retail release. It's gonna come down to whether or not you feel you got your money's worth from sf4 vanilla. I was interested in how they were gonna market this to make people re-buy it, but if all these rumors are true, it's going to be a pretty massive update.

Top Bottom