• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Can someone answer a question for me real quick? I've been noticing something as I've been training myself in the past few days. When I focus attack someone (specifically Dan in challenge mode) and they begin to collapse to the ground, as I attempt to start a followup combo before they hit the ground sometimes after my first hit Dan will flip back to his feet (fucking up the combo) and other times he will get hit normally allowing the combo to follow through.

I've tested hitting after the Focus Attack to see if this is based on timing or if it's random...and it seems it is random. Is this correct or am I doing something wrong?

MisterAnderson said:
Can someone answer a question for me real quick? I've been noticing something as I've been training myself in the past few days. When I focus attack someone (specifically Dan in challenge mode) and they begin to collapse to the ground, as I attempt to start a followup combo before they hit the ground sometimes after my first hit Dan will flip back to his feet (fucking up the combo) and other times he will get hit normally allowing the combo to follow through.

I've tested hitting after the Focus Attack to see if this is based on timing or if it's random...and it seems it is random. Is this correct or am I doing something wrong?

It's based on timing and the move. If you hit him with a non knockdown move while he's in the "falling down" portion of the crumple (that's the portion where you can't combo him anymore, it's after the initial part) then he'll flip back onto his feet.

Xevren

Buffer a dash forward once you connect the focus attack and you can combo without fear of him getting knocked down/flipped back up.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Xevren said:
Buffer a dash forward once you connect the focus attack and you can combo without fear of him getting knocked down/flipped back up.
More specifically, dash after the point the FA goes from charging to attack, and it'll cancel the recovery after hit. This way if you're using a charge character, you can begin charging pretty early.

Xevren said:

Thank you so much for this, lol.

Edit: Another question... after unlocking Gouken and trying him out I decided to try maining him. Just out of curiosity is he considered overpowered/cheap/underpowered? I'd just like to know where he stands and what he's considered because I generally hate choosing characters that are considered overpowered, and I only picked him after trying him out because I'm really digging his move set.

Xevren

The only thing people hate about Gouken is the fact he can use his ultra after his back throw. I wouldn't consider him under or overpowered personally.

Linkhero1

Xevren said:
Did not know this. I still have problems timing my attacks with charge characters. =/

MisterAnderson said:

Edit: Another question... after unlocking Gouken and trying him out I decided to try maining him. Just out of curiosity is he considered overpowered/cheap/underpowered? I'd just like to know where he stands and what he's considered because I generally hate choosing characters that are considered overpowered, and I only picked him after trying him out because I'm really digging his move set.

There's not too many tourney results to give him an accurate placement, but from casual sessions most top players put him in the lower half of mid tier (with honda, sim, etc.)

He doesn't have any damaging combos that he can hit confirm to off of a short or jab, but he has decent mixups, a solid fireball game, and random shenanigans.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
MisterAnderson said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_LVPYWZQnU

kitzkozan

MisterAnderson said:

He's mid tier,but he's fun to play.The biggest problem is that he suffer from a lack of beta testing just like all the other console character excepted Seth.Gen is also a solid console character because of the combos,but arcade is usually the balancing playground of a fighting game and Gouken would need some tweaking.

The rumor that he's not going to be available for arcade play in super street fighter IV doesn't help either because it mean he's not viewed as championship material.If anything,he's destined to be a character with a lack of proper competitive testing.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Great fights yesterday with Dizzy-4U , i tried Ken for the first time. He is fun.
Funny thing : My PS3 crashes and goes to the XMB when he picks Cammy with a different costume color than the origial one :lol

LakeEarth

Well I'm eating crow. The character on the top right of the "leaked" image is this Juri girl and not Ibuki. No question.
http://www.jv247.com/games/3387-NEWS1637-Super-Street-Fighter-IV-en-preparation.html

Oh, it hasn't been posted yet. Some screens.
USEDHWKvsRIC_BTL_001USED.jpg

USEDHWKvsRIC_ARG_049USED.jpg

JRIvsVEG_BTL_032USED.jpg

JRIvsVEG_ARG_021_USED.jpg

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire

Imm0rt4l

Xevren said:
The only thing people hate about Gouken is the fact he can use his ultra after his back throw. I wouldn't consider him under or overpowered personally.
and lets not forget that you have an eternity to tech his backthrow. Gouken really isn't competitive on pro level, just look at EVO, one guy played as gouken for like a single match before switching. He has no links worth mentioning, he's more reliant on some heavy damage so he's slower than shotos.

kitzkozan

Imm0rt4l said:
and lets not forget that you have an eternity to tech his backthrow. Gouken really isn't competitive on pro level, just look at EVO, one guy played as gouken for like a single match before switching. He has no links worth mentioning, he's more reliant on some heavy damage so he's slower than shotos.

He's no more or less competitive than Dhalsim or E.Honda. :p

Valle is investing in Gouken(behind a top level player,Gouken is a lot of fun to watch despite his flaws),so you might see a stronger showing from him at next year EVO.Heck,expect to see a lot more Fei Long at next year EVO as well. :D Some of the console characters are seeing their potential being exploited(expect to see more from Gen at next year EVO also),it's just taking longer since Japan doesn't really depend on the console version and thus we see far less high level play from the console characters).

So. Has anyone played SF4 on a high quality SD CRT/monitor? Does it look good in SD compared to HD? I'm trying to figure out if I should bother rigging it up in my New Astro cab given that it's one of the few awesome "3D" fighters available on PC that I care about, so the question of giving it a modern higher end vidcard is entirely dependant on SF4, really.

Hell, otherwise I might just rig up an OG XBox with Coinops Ignite. :D

A Twisty Fluken, SFIV looks like a horrid, jaggy mess in SD compared to what you're used to in HD. I was kinda stunned when I saw it first. I assume the PC version could get around this though (my experience was the PS3 port in 480i).

I also got to play the game an HD CRT and fell in love. Man, I have to get one someday. Weight be damned.

So will SSFIV inevitably bring out the bandwagoners one more time for another month of fighting game goodness? Or are they frustrated with the sequel coming out so soon ala L4D2?

kitzkozan

myDingling said:
So will SSFIV inevitably bring out the bandwagoners one more time for another month of fighting game goodness? Or are they frustrated with the sequel coming out so soon ala L4D2?

I doubt it,since they will get their ass kicked and they know it. :lol Let's not forget that there will be plenty of regular who still play IV(a lot of them being from SRK) along with pros.

It's going to be tough to step into SSF IV as you already have most people FADC into ultra+perform plenty of combos from day 1(probably the Akuma vortex and what not by that point).Not only that,the adaptation period for most of us will be rather short and there will be plenty of stick in people's hands as well.

Thus why I expect around 1 million copies to be sold worldwide.The good new is that a lot of people buying will be dedicated and thus there should be steady competition for a couple of years. :D

Damnit...I'm feeling the sad thinking about how long it will take them to port it to consoles from arcade.

I would probably just sit around watching videos of it if MW2 and NSMBWii weren't coming out this year. I'll only have time for 1 hr of watching as opposed to 3 or 4.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
myDingling said:
SF4 is the only game I play these days and I play it maybe around 1-3 times a week. What does that make me?

I just hope they give Gief an armor breaking, vortex lariat with a wider hitbox and more priority. Needs more invincibility too.

Should combo into SPD or ultra too.

Also flames.

GalacticAE said:
I just hope they give Gief an armor breaking, vortex lariat with a wider hitbox and more priority. Needs more invincibility too.

Also flames.

Would be cool if his SPD caused the opponents disc drive to open thus screwing them over.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
GalacticAE said:

Also flames.

i hope he gets a Dragon punch that not only do damage but freezes the opponent in place foe 5 seconds

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
GalacticAE said:

Also flames.
projectile auto-dizzy.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Can't wait to see the balancing tweeks and move-set additions/changes to Super 4.

Only two words need express what this means..

YOGA UPPERCUT

kitzkozan said:
I doubt it,since they will get their ass kicked and they know it. :lol Let's not forget that there will be plenty of regular who still play IV(a lot of them being from SRK) along with pros.

It's going to be tough to step into SSF IV as you already have most people FADC into ultra+perform plenty of combos from day 1(probably the Akuma vortex and what not by that point).Not only that,the adaptation period for most of us will be rather short and there will be plenty of stick in people's hands as well.

Thus why I expect around 1 million copies to be sold worldwide.The good new is that a lot of people buying will be dedicated and thus there should be steady competition for a couple of years. :D

I'm seriously gonna cut myself if the first thing I see online in SSFIV is Ken fierce DP over and over @_@

Can't wait for this to hit the arcades though. I'm tired of having my main be console only.

Maybe they'll release the arcade version and the console version at the same time.

Dizzy-4U

GalacticAE said:

Also flames.
I lold :lol

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Kaako said:
SF4 is the only game I play these days and I play it maybe around 1-3 times a week. What does that make me?
Yeah for real, same here. This thread is one of the most active and popular threads on neogaf...the fighting game goodness has been going on for 7 months and ain't gonna stop.

_dementia said:
Like in the Dreamcast days? That would be neat (but shitty for arcade operators)

That's true. I don't mind a staggered release, but I just hate when the community is segmented. As long as the console version only has fluff add-ons (stages, costumes, etc.) and not game affecting ones (new characters, etc) then I'll be happy.

Fat chance though...

_dementia said:
A Twisty Fluken, SFIV looks like a horrid, jaggy mess in SD compared to what you're used to in HD. I was kinda stunned when I saw it first. I assume the PC version could get around this though (my experience was the PS3 port in 480i).

I also got to play the game an HD CRT and fell in love. Man, I have to get one someday. Weight be damned.

I will do some experimenting. Thanks for the heads up.

Top Bottom