• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

MrMephistoX said:
Hit me up dude: MrMephistoX. I haven't been on much lately due to work issues but should be getting back into it.

Solune said:
I think I fit your description, I wasn't able to post on GAF around the time SFIV first came out so I never got into matches either. I get home around 7 - 8 PM PST though.
PSN: Sollune
Add me if you want a friendly match!
All challenges welcome too =).

Just saw these posts today, added and added.

Threi

notag
MicVlaD said:
Crouching low kicks -> Scissors all day.
EX headstomps can't be anti-aired without trading.
Spam some standing roundhouse for good measure too.

- Fastest poke will trade with bisons c.lk, with the advantage in your favor because most likely the bison player will have lost his charge.

- LP SRK can beat EX headstomp clean.

- st. RH is pretty quick yes, but without it bison would really be fucked.

btw considering your playstyle try out abel. Switch out tick throws for TT and you're set.

Since everyone is busy bitching about why they care or don't care about an arcade release, Japan, apartments too small, organise get-togethers, rabble, rabble, rabble in the other thread, uh, I saw someone mention that Rolento might be one of the new characters for SSFIV. Is there a date for a full reveal or when more characters are going to be revealed? Having Ibuki, Makoto and DeeJay added is pretty awesome, but Rolento too? Fuck yes.

Barfights Round II in Pasadena in a couple weeks. The main event will be:

Bar Fights II Main Event: New York City’s Empire Arcadia vs. SoCal!

1. Justin Wong
2. Arturo "Sabin" Sanchez
3. Joe "iloveu" Ciaramelli
4. Sanford Kelly
5. Martin "Marn" Phan

vs.

1. Alex "Calipower" Valle
2. Ed Ma
3. ?
4. ?
5. ?

They're doing qualifiers in the next couple weeks to find out who goes in. This shit will be hot, get hype!

myDingling said:
Barfights Round II in Pasadena in a couple weeks. The main event will be:

Bar Fights II Main Event: New York City’s Empire Arcadia vs. SoCal!

1. Justin Wong
2. Arturo "Sabin" Sanchez
3. Joe "iloveu" Ciaramelli
4. Sanford Kelly
5. Martin "Marn" Phan

vs.

1. Alex "Calipower" Valle
2. Ed Ma
3. ?
4. ?
5. ?

They're doing qualifiers in the next couple weeks to find out who goes in. This shit will be hot, get hype!

i want east coast to win just because they're in enemy territory.

watching Marn take west coast warzone was delicious schadenfreude

_dementia said:
i want east coast to win just because they're in enemy territory.

watching Marn take west coast warzone was delicious schadenfreude

Marn even did Viper's hard trial 3 in the heat of battle against Valle. Fucking amazing!

Leunam

jaundicejuice said:
Since everyone is busy bitching about why they care or don't care about an arcade release, Japa, apartments too small, organise ge-togethers, rabble, rabble, rabble in the other thread, uh, I saw someone mention that Rolento might be one of the new characters for SSFIV. Is there a date for a full reveal or when more characters are going to be revealed? Having Ibuki, Makoto and DeeJay added is pretty awesome, but Rolento too? Fuck yes.

Ono said that Rolento would be a possibility a long time ago, but he hasn't shown up in the rumored character lists.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
black_vegeta said:
Marn even did Viper's hard trial 3 in the heat of battle against Valle. Fucking amazing!

I'm mostly sure that Marn and Flash and the other high level Vipers that do SJC ultra use c.mp instead of c.lp. Still hard as fuck to pull off consistently, but mp gives more leeway than lp.

Leunam said:
Ono said that Rolento would be a possibility a long time ago, but he hasn't shown up in the rumored character lists.

Kind of deflating but given all of the other characters returning I shouldn't complain too loudly.

jaundicejuice said:
Kind of deflating but given all of the other characters returning I shouldn't complain too loudly.
It weird, wasn't the word that they couldn't include FF characters due to Capcom USA owning the license after Streetwise? Then surprise! 2 FF characters, but neither are Rolento.
:(

profit

Any pointers on dealing runners with Rufus? Especially shoto's... Messiah kick after fireball --> DP! Jump in fierce --> DP! and when I hit them, it trades every freaking time!

Rotanibor

black_vegeta said:
Who in the hell has the gamertag of Rotanibor?

I accepted his friend invite and I don't even know who it is?

Yo! I recently went and added a bunch of GAFfers on Live the other day, and you happened to be one of them. :D

If I missed anybody, which I am sure I missed a lot of people, add my gamertag 'Rotanibor' and we can get some games going sometime.

Rotanibor Eht said:
Yo! I recently went and added a bunch of GAFfers on Live the other day, and you happened to be one of them. :D

If I missed anybody, which I am sure I missed a lot of people, add my gamertag 'Rotanibor' and we can get some games going sometime.

Fo sho, I'm currently trying to finish my hard trials which I'm almost done.

Once I'm done, we can rumble. :D

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
So, I just got to G2 (yeah I know, I'm late) and was expecting people with better connections and also some better play. All I keep getting is shoto scrubs spamming em fireballs and jumping back. I play Honda so it has never really been easy, especially since I am not a pro, but was I expecting too much? I mean, I don't see that kind of stuff in tournament play, why is it that it's all people know how to do online? Also, any tricks that could help me win against those people?

Threi

notag
Does charge partitioning have any use in SF4?

If so, how do you do it? I see uriens in 3rd strike bustin out mad fresh juggles and im like "dang i want a piece of that shit"

evildede said:
So, I just got to G2 (yeah I know, I'm late) and was expecting people with better connections and also some better play. All I keep getting is shoto scrubs spamming em fireballs and jumping back. I play Honda so it has never really been easy, especially since I am not a pro, but was I expecting too much? I mean, I don't see that kind of stuff in tournament play, why is it that it's all people know how to do online? Also, any tricks that could help me win against those people?

Well, welcome to online play! A small majority of the online community know how to play at a high level.

If you want some average to above average competition, get some gamertags from the folks here in GAF and prepare to get that booty beat.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I only know 3 characters. I mean, I know the special moves and some of the tricks for a lot of other characters by watching videos, but if I took them online, I'd probably get ass raped for weeks on end.

Think it's time to broaden my horizons and put Viper on the backburner for a bit in the interests of knowing what it's like to be in the mind of other people playing different characters.

But, who to pick? I'd mess around with Ryu and Sagat if I was overly concerned with placing at tournies and stuff, but there's no scene here and those characters are boring as shit to me.

TofuEater

evildede said:

Welcome to G2!

You get some pretty high GP Kens that just spam EX/fierce SRK all day and some really good players with low GP.

Its a mixed bag.

Steaks

Threi said:
Does charge partitioning have any use in SF4?

If so, how do you do it? I see uriens in 3rd strike bustin out mad fresh juggles and im like "dang i want a piece of that shit"
You cannot charge partition in SF4.

~Devil Trigger~ said:
this stupid fuckin game never stops the bullshit....

how the fuck Rose's Ultra beats a tortilla!?

Rose takes like a small step back when she does it.. so if she does it and your mid air.. try to hold back farther in direction and most of the time you will land behind to punish..

LakeEarth

evildede said:
You took too long. Now the crappiest players reached G2, the good players reached G1, and some of the really good players are in SG. G1 IS getting easier, though there's still lots of good players there.

My scrub-hunting advice:
- find the best way to punish blocked SRKs on the way down. For Honda I usually use d.mk -> fierce headbutt, or super/ultra if you got the charge ready. Experiment in training with damage on to see what's the best thing you can pull off.
- Try to "look" like you're going to attack, then block against SRK spammers
- if you fuck up a blocked combo and you get SRK, that means he's spamming while getting hit, hoping that you screw up. Next time you do a blockstring, purposefully stop after 1-2 hits and block. Punish on the way down.
- To turn the tables on them, EX headbutt during their blockstrings, which works just as well and is much safer (as far as I know only Chun and Ken (and a Sagat that knows how to kara) can punish EX headbutt)
- scrubs jump, and EX headbutt will beat almost anything. Also neutral jump fierce has lots of priorities
- more advanced, but if you have quick reaction time, you can super through fireballs and it will hit most projectile characters from 2/3rds the screen away

If they're jumping away, keep letting them jump away and inch forward until they are in the corner. Learn to NOT LET THEM OUT! Keep midscreen, use fierce roundhouse to hit them when they aren't blocking, neutral jump fierce to smack them back into the corner, etc. Akuma's will try to teleport out so I usually try to be ready for that.

Yup, I'm pretty terrible. Just played this one dude for seven matches and I only won one of them. He kept playing as Chun-Li and doing this weird turtling thing I've never quite seen. A Slow fireball, that's usually followed by a spinning bird kick if you jump in or her leaping kick attack. I'm usually pretty good with Blanka but I had no real recourse agianst this tactic, I kept playing and losing, then I swithced it up to Bison and lost even worse. My one win was with Ryu and I don't think the other player was playing seriously at that point.

Man I suck.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
jaundicejuice said:
Yup, I'm pretty terrible. Just played this one dude for seven matches and I only won one of them. He kept playing as Chun-Li and doing this weird turtling thing I've never quite seen. A Slow fireball, that's usually followed by a spinning bird kick if you jump in or her leaping kick attack. I'm usually pretty good with Blanka but I had no real recourse agianst this tactic, I kept playing and losing, then I swithced it up to Bison and lost even worse. My one win was with Ryu and I don't think the other player was playing seriously at that point.

Man I suck.
FA absorb the fireball, sweep.

OR..

Just jump in anyway. SBK isn't entirely safe even with EX.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I'll play.

PSN: hknishino

MicVlaD said:
EX headstomps can't be anti-aired without trading.
Ok, just tried it out.

Both Chun-Li's EX SBK and df LK will beat it clean if they are timed right. EX SBK has to be done late just before the actual hit lands, while the df LK needs to be done early before Bison lowers his legs. df HP and c MP just make it whiff.

Sure, I'd be down for some games what's your PSN kade? I sent you an invite Hitokage.

Ha, I just took the best two out of three with this other random in Player Matches and ran away.

PSN: jaundicejuice

jaundicejuice said:

Man I suck.

Hey remember you can slide under fireballs with df + fierce punch

FindMyFarms said:
Hey remember you can slide under fireballs with df + fierce punch

Oh yeah, that and the arcing roll attacks are my bread and butter moves against projectile whores but for whatever reason I just couldn't get close enough or aim the roll just behind the crouched guard. I should have EX hori rolled through some of that shit now that I think of it.

Kadey said:
Kadey1up.

Invite sent.

jaundicejuice said:
Oh yeah, that and the arcing roll attacks are my bread and butter moves against projectile whores but for whatever reason I just couldn't get close enough or aim the roll just behind the crouched guard. I should have EX hori rolled through some of that shit now that I think of it.

Invite sent.

Oh no never do the arcing roll unless it's ex to get out of the corner. And always remember, you can just walk forward!

Top Bottom