• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

I find that SRK mashers are starting to become more intelligent with there mashing. Either that or my block strings aren't connecting, someone let me know if I'm getting it wrong. But anyways this Ken I use to beat all the time finally learns how to block cross ups and now he has been going even with me lately and his weapon, turtling and mashing SRK through my strings.

But he's kind of unpredictable. Sometimes he doesn't do it, sometimes he does it at the beginning of my jump in, sometimes he waits to block a jab or two. Kind of tricky for someone like me. He's doing nothing advance or intermediate, no hit confirms, no FADC into Ultra, no kara throws, it's like he's a evolved flowchart. And I feel so shitty whenever I lose to him.

But I must say, before I criticize others I must admit I mash through block strings myself here and there. Maybe I'm no different than these guys, except I can do some of those things I mentioned above. Oh well, fuck it, I might as well do it to if you're going to screw up your links :p

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I mash SRK through block strings often...especially if I "feel" the oponent is trying to combo my ass. It's a defense mechanist damnit! :D
In other news, I still get crossed up like a mofo sometimes.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Rice-Eater said:
I find that SRK mashers are starting to become more intelligent with there mashing. Either that or my block strings aren't connecting, someone let me know if I'm getting it wrong. But anyways this Ken I use to beat all the time finally learns how to block cross ups and now he has been going even with me lately and his weapon, turtling and mashing SRK through my strings.

But he's kind of unpredictable. Sometimes he doesn't do it, sometimes he does it at the beginning of my jump in, sometimes he waits to block a jab or two. Kind of tricky for someone like me. He's doing nothing advance or intermediate, no hit confirms, no FADC into Ultra, no kara throws, it's like he's a evolved flowchart. And I feel so shitty whenever I lose to him.

But I must say, before I criticize others I must admit I mash through block strings myself here and there. Maybe I'm no different than these guys, except I can do some of those things I mentioned above. Oh well, fuck it, I might as well do it to if you're going to screw up your links :p

Or it could be lag. You may think you're timing is off but it's the retarded online netcode. Stuff I can easily do offline tends not to work a lot during certain online matches. It's aggravating when you put all the time into practicing that stuff but the timing is very different online.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
FindMyFarms said:
Mashing is good in this game.

@rice don't forget that ryu has a fireball, I remember when we played you barely threw them lol.

What I do vs mashers is simply jump kick/something I know will combo and looks like a hard link, nothing. They SRK, I then do low fwd/headbutt/taunt. Taunt is to let them know you knew what they were doing.

Then next time you do an oichio tick. If they're scrubs they'll mentally fall apart right then.

Note: this won't work against good players, just scrubs you want to get through.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Quick question: Say Capcom decided to use ggpo. Would the lag be greatly reduced?
I've never played using ggpo so I'm kinda curious.

arstal said:
What I do vs mashers is simply jump kick/something I know will combo and looks like a hard link, nothing. They SRK, I then do low fwd/headbutt/taunt. Taunt is to let them know you knew what they were doing.

Then next time you do an oichio tick. If they're scrubs they'll mentally fall apart right then.

Note: this won't work against good players, just scrubs you want to get through.

I'm talking about Mashing as an execution technique.

If someone does an ultra and you can reversal, instead of trying to time it perfectly, mashing qcf KKK gets you more consistent results, even the pro players do it.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
FindMyFarms said:
Yeah the lag would go down a lot. GGPO is the shit.
Any console games that use ggpo?
If it's possible and will improve the lag dramatically, then why not license it Capcom?

Shit boggles my mind.

Kaako said:
If it's possible and will improve the lag dramatically, then why not license it Capcom?

Shit boggles my mind.

Actually they did license GGPO. And then they didn't use it. How's that for mind boggling. Though I think they used it for HDremix

GGPO is mainly on pc, dl the program and the supported games and have fun w/ lagless fighting!

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?! For shame Capcom, for shame.
I really hope the netcode in the new one is a lot more improved though. Lobby system will be freaking sick (better late than never). I just wanna see you pros play live and comment. This will improve the community and my game hopefully as a whole tremendously.

bardia

Leunam said:
Who was I playing earlier? Don't recognize them from here. Screen name started with a "P" I think. GGs anyway.

That would be me, GG D; too bad I got owned :lol , I'm really bad at the abel match up..haven't really fought that many. Still need to work on that match up badly, would love to have some more games in the future.

-PXG-

Kaako said:

Shit boggles my mind.

BlazBlue

and yes, Capcom does have a license. They said it would'nt have been cost or time efficient to include in SFIV.

I hardly zone, I prefer to play rush down. Not that I'm good at either, but I feel more comfortable playing aggressive then zoning. I'll zone against characters like Zangief but I feel kind of lost and nervous when zoning against quicker characters because I can't DP on reaction. Also I end up eating jump ins a lot because many of my opponents can seemingly jump on reaction over my fireballs when we're close to each other, something I can't seem to ever do to them unless I was just lucky.

Aedile

Rice-Eater said:
I hardly zone, I prefer to play rush down. Not that I'm good at either, but I feel more comfortable playing aggressive then zoning.

Hopefully this isn't damning with faint praise, but you're the best Ryu that I've played against in G2.

Rice-Eater said:
I hardly zone, I prefer to play rush down. Not that I'm good at either, but I feel more comfortable playing aggressive then zoning. I'll zone against characters like Zangief but I feel kind of lost and nervous when zoning against quicker characters because I can't DP on reaction. Also I end up eating jump ins a lot because many of my opponents can seemingly jump on reaction over my fireballs when we're close to each other, something I can't seem to ever do to them unless I was just lucky.

Zoning is actually an integral part of rush down offense. You have to keep them in one spot in order to make them eat your attacks. Once they feel like they can't move, that's when you go in for the kill.

With regards to fireballs, it's not that they do it on reaction, it's that 90% of players feel uncomfortable at that range and instinctively jump forward. With players that you don't have a read on, I promise you if you just stand there, more than likely they'll jump, which is a free cr. fp for you (if you have a hard to DP'ing on reaction)

I'm hopping onto PSN (FindMyFarms) for my late night pad session if anyone feels like taking advantage of me

edit - How hard do most people here press buttons on their joystick? I pretty much smash mine which tends to wake anyone/thing up in a 10 mile radius.

So I just went 15-1 agst a guy named 'SF4 Sucks' lolz..

He wasn't very good though he had a decent icon and stuff..

I then ran into a guy named "Vipers Daddy" who was pretty decent with Viper. Beat his Viper with my Gen.. then he switched to Ryu as I switched to Fuerte.. Destroyed him. Ryu is one of my fav match ups with Fuerte.

Then he switched to Sakura and I kept Fuerte and perfected him on my 2nd round win.. :(

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
FindMyFarms said:
I'm hopping onto PSN (FindMyFarms) for my late night pad session if anyone feels like taking advantage of me

edit - How hard do most people here press buttons on their joystick? I pretty much smash mine which tends to wake anyone/thing up in a 10 mile radius.

I pound mine pretty hard. I also tend to push buttons multiple times for certain moves without thinking about it. Trying to break both those habits.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Lost Fragment said:
I also tend to push buttons multiple times for certain moves without thinking about it. Trying to break both those habits.
Haha, yes, I'm trying to cut down on the extraneous input too.

>>Crispy Creme Links!<<

Also a really good match between Marn and Andre, excellent dictator play.

OH yeah here's the 2nd half of the money match -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5klLMXHiho4

Andre beating Marn makes me feel warm and fuzzy. I LOVE Andre's M. Bison play, it's so fluid.

His rushdown is balls to the wall but at the same time not wreckless and takes all reversals into account, truly a beauty to watch. It's awesome seeing him suffocate his opponents in the corner.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
FindMyFarms said:
Actually they did license GGPO. And then they didn't use it. How's that for mind boggling. Though I think they used it for HDremix

GGPO is mainly on pc, dl the program and the supported games and have fun w/ lagless fighting!

HDRemix and MVC2 used their own rollback netcode. Not as good as GGPO.

As for Blazblue I have not seen any info on the company licensing GGPO for use in BB, however I would not be shocked to hear that they have. Since, it easily has the best netcode of any console fighter to date.

Ponder (Dude behind GGPO algorithm.) pointed out that GGPO has fixed amount of latency. For example in a 125ms ping game the input delay is only 2 frames.

Also quote;

"Fixed input latency also helps insure that a player with a persistently bad connection will not impact the quality of a match for users with a superb connection because the delay can be shared. For example, if I'm using 3 frames of input delay and you're using 0 frames, we can actually share the 3 frames of benefit by running my copy of the game 1.5 frames ahead of yours. That both of our packets sent over the network an extra 25 ms of time to run across the Internet before manifesting themselves as a rollback. Stated another way: it makes a 120 ms game play more like a 70 ms game. That's a huge win.

Most players cannot tell the difference between 0 and 2 frames of input latency. Those people would absolute prefer a much smoother online experience to having their moves come out a tiny fraction of a second sooner. Tournament players: put down your pitchforks! There are those of us who can detect as much as 1 frame of latency. Those of us who bought that specific Samsung flat-screen LCD rather than the cheaper Sony one because the Sony one added display-lag. Those players shoud be allowed to throttle down the frame-delay all the way to 0 to preserve the exact, offline timing they've spent 10-years of accumulated muscle memory perfecting. I've been using this system of 0-9 frames of fixed, configurable input delay for a while on GGPO and it's been working great."

Linkhero1

Lost Fragment said:
I pound mine pretty hard. I also tend to push buttons multiple times for certain moves without thinking about it. Trying to break both those habits.
I do this too, which causes me to screw up what I'm trying to do most of the time. Sometimes I don't even press the right button or I hit the button too late.

If you guys run into me I suck lol. My GT - Falco211

I am trying main Balrog and started playing again last week.

TurtleSnatcher said:
Yea Dhalsims MK to Flame I can't do period. Its odd.
What's worse if that I've played Dhalsims before who make a lot of mistakes (possibly because they might not be used to mirror matches), and yet they can pull off that combo no problem. Even on a standard 360 pad when I ask what their preferred controller is. It's driving me nuts.

Dascu said:
Hey, your Dan isn't half-bad.
Nah, I rely too much on gimmicks with him. Can't even use his basic links consistently, and they're not even that hard to do.

Threi said:
- Fastest poke will trade with bisons c.lk, with the advantage in your favor because most likely the bison player will have lost his charge.

- LP SRK can beat EX headstomp clean.

- st. RH is pretty quick yes, but without it bison would really be fucked.

btw considering your playstyle try out abel. Switch out tick throws for TT and you're set.
Hitokage said:
Ok, just tried it out.

Both Chun-Li's EX SBK and df LK will beat it clean if they are timed right. EX SBK has to be done late just before the actual hit lands, while the df LK needs to be done early before Bison lowers his legs. df HP and c MP just make it whiff.
Perhaps I should have added in my previous post that I was talking about Dhalsim vs Bison specifically, because my knowledge about match-ups with any other character (even in general) is next to non-existant. ;p

Also: Abel ain't no Necro.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
jaundicejuice said:
Yup, I'm pretty terrible. Just played this one dude for seven matches and I only won one of them. He kept playing as Chun-Li and doing this weird turtling thing I've never quite seen. A Slow fireball, that's usually followed by a spinning bird kick if you jump in or her leaping kick attack. I'm usually pretty good with Blanka but I had no real recourse agianst this tactic, I kept playing and losing, then I swithced it up to Bison and lost even worse. My one win was with Ryu and I don't think the other player was playing seriously at that point.

Man I suck.
blanka slide should have punished those turtle fireballs pretty effectively if you don't sit at full screen?

Solune

FindMyFarms said:
Yo GG's to Sollune! Thanks for accepting the late night pad challenge :lol

After facing you I wish I hadn't! Jokes.
This man is fucking good, and he gave me the worst fucking beatdown I've ever taken.
Never felt so much pressure that I messed up basic links and specials.
I won't make any excuses though, it really put my perspective on people playing competitively and casually.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
FindMyFarms said:
>>Crispy Creme Links!<<

Andre beating Marn makes me feel warm and fuzzy. I LOVE Andre's M. Bison play, it's so fluid.

His rushdown is balls to the wall but at the same time not wreckless and takes all reversals into account, truly a beauty to watch. It's awesome seeing him suffocate his opponents in the corner.

Whaaaaaaaaaaat.

Nicest Bison I've ever seen man! Bison's been one of my top three mains for the last month now, and my philosophy with all of my characters is rush down all day, but I just had to take some mental notes from that match - shit man.

Most fun match I've seen in a long time, especially with the commentary - no matter what, I'm throwing in Street Fighter IV when I get home today and hitting the training room - I've been neglecting it for almost a week now...

Solune said:
After facing you I wish I hadn't! Jokes.
This man is fucking good, and he gave me the worst fucking beatdown I've ever taken.
Never felt so much pressure that I messed up basic links and specials.
I won't make any excuses though, it really put my perspective on people playing competitively and casually.

I know how it feels, I went 0-22 against FMF. And I kept missing links that I normally get and missed every FADC Ultra and trade Ultra opportunity that came my way. I don't mean to be making excuses for you and me, but I think there is some nervousness involved when you're playing against someone who is just way out of your league.

Oh and Andre has the sickest Bison I've ever seen. I wonder who knocked him out at Evo, he totally schooled Mike Watson who is a legend in the community and has a solid Ryu. Beating Marn like he did further solidifies how good he is. I'd like to see how he matches up against top players throughout the nation besides just NYC.

Threi

notag
FindMyFarms said:
>>Crispy Creme Links!<<

Andre is my hero, no joke. The majority of my bison training has been just trying to copy what he does, but he makes it look a lot easier than it actually is :(

Dizzy-4U

Hey guys, which characters have good resets? I've been testing one with Akuma but I don't find it very useful. The Sakura one is pretty good though since you can go under the opponent. Any suggestions?

Dizzy-4U said:
Hey guys, which characters have good resets? I've been testing one with Akuma but I don't find it very useful. The Sakura one is pretty good though since you can go under the opponent. Any suggestions?
with Abel, cr.HP, LK Marseilles Roll, cr.LP, LK Marseilles Roll, Tornado Throw
or instead of the TT, you can attempt another launcher

LakeEarth

_dementia said:
with Abel, cr.HP, LK Marseilles Roll, cr.LP, LK Marseilles Roll, Tornado Throw
or instead of the TT, you can attempt another launcher
And you can switch it up, medium roll for the cross-up. You need decent execution to pull off launch->roll->hit->roll, you don't time it right and you don't roll.

Leunam

LakeEarth said:
And you can switch it up, medium roll for the cross-up. You need decent execution to pull off launch->roll->hit->roll, you don't time it right and you don't roll.

To expand even further, you can cross up using a light roll so long as the preceding attack is a LP or cr.LK. You can even use cl.MK and cancel a roll into that.

Top Bottom