• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Zapages

OMG Yun and Yang??? Maybe in a sequel or something... Also do you guys remember Alex in background(desert stage) of Capcom vs SNK 2...

Kintaro said:
If you want stick talk out of the thread, why not suggest taking the sticks out of the OP? The sticks and the game are intertwined right now. All there is to it.

Plus, no one has the game and until it's released and everyone is playing, pretty much everything has already been discussed to death about the game. Just waiting for online impressions from the few who have it but they're too busy...playing it. :lol

I understand your frustration really I do, I'm still waiting for my stick and both times I called the store I got "SORRY WE'RE NOT PREORDERING THOSE ANYMORE, OHHHHHHHHH, UHHH, I DON'T KNOW I THINK WE'LL GET THEM BY THE TIME THE GAME COMES OUT NEXT WEEK, K?" And i realized yesterday that basically I'm not mad that the stick isn't at the store, I'm mad because the gs.com customers got it first while we're left out getting excuses until the sticks do come out. I guess my whole mentality was "GS.COM CUSTOMERS GOT THEIR STICK, WHY DON'T I HAVE MINE?"... But I was never promised a date for these sticks in store, while when you preorder them online it clearly states ships out by 2/10/09. So I'll wait patiently... but if its not there by NEXT Friday, a new magazine rack will go flying every day I have to wait.

SSnake

ok so im playing arcade mode with c.viper and got interrupted three times with guys with two bars. I noticed some lag on the inputs, it was little but it was there. Can't even get through one arcade match without being interrupted.

krazen said:
Hey guys.

Im stuck with definately one, possibly two TE(my backup) not getting here.
I have an overpriced Xbox limited edition thats probably gonna come late next week, that I can't cancel.

But still, id rather come into the thread and have read talk about the game, then joystick and game shipment issues, lol.

Give me talks on lag.
Give me how cool the combos are.
Tell me how you feel the game sucks.

The rest of it is kinda noise.

I'll answer your questions

Give me talks on lag. - IT'S AWESOME
Give me how cool the combos are. - THEY'RE FUCKING AWESOME
Tell me how you feel the game sucks - IT DOESN'T IT'S AWESOM

I hope that helps.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
SSnake said:
ok so im playing arcade mode with c.viper and got interrupted three times with guys with two bars. I noticed some lag on the inputs, it was little but it was there. Can't even get through one arcade match without being interrupted.

... Turn it off? Or are you just saying a lot of people are playing already..

Hey can you set minimum amount of bars to play in options? I wouldnt want to play anyone less than 3 bars.

Zapages said:
How do you guys think I will fair in SF IV...

Overall: CvsS2 > SF 3 TS > SSF 2T >>>>>>>>> MvsC2

I suck at SSF IIT while playing on high difficulty settings... I usually get to like the 5 or 6 character before I continuously lose. On average setting, I decent and get to M Bison (Dictator) and stuff..

I am average in SF III third strike, like the parries as it kind of evens the gameplay out. But I suck at high level against anyone that is really good.

Capcom vs SNK 2, now this is the game that I rule in. I've played a bit competitively and I've done fairly good in it...

Marvel vs Capcom 2 - this game I totally suck at... So I am not going to say a thing about it.

Even thought I haven't played a lot of 3rd strike, IV seems more like ST than TS. You have to learn links pretty well to do the combos effectively. Comboing supers is like TS though, thank god. It's a good mix between the two IMO.

bumpkin

jam86 said:
I understand your frustration really I do, I'm still waiting for my stick and both times I called the store I got "SORRY WE'RE NOT PREORDERING THOSE ANYMORE, OHHHHHHHHH, UHHH, I DON'T KNOW I THINK WE'LL GET THEM BY THE TIME THE GAME COMES OUT NEXT WEEK, K?" And i realized yesterday that basically I'm not mad that the stick isn't at the store, I'm mad because the gs.com customers got it first while we're left out getting excuses until the sticks do come out. I guess my whole mentality was "GS.COM CUSTOMERS GOT THEIR STICK, WHY DON'T I HAVE MINE?"... But I was never promised a date for these sticks in store, while when you preorder them online it clearly states ships out by 2/10/09. So I'll wait patiently... but if its not there by NEXT Friday, a new magazine rack will go flying every day I have to wait.
I'll be right there with you, man. I was only annoyed that I didn't have my stick yet. It didn't elevate to pissed until I got at least three different excuses/dates for when I'd have the stick, and I'm not particularly optimistic at this point that any are the truth. If GameStop was going to screw people on the sticks, they should have clearly stated one way or the other that if you reserved it in-store, you wouldn't get it the same time as online customers. I may think it sucks that the people who simply clicked their mouse a few times are getting their sticks while those of us who physically went to the stores, but there's nothing that can be done about it.

It is what it is, I guess... But I'm in 100% agreement with Kintaro and others on this; it's bullshit, so much so that if I don't have my stick when I go to pick up SFIV, I may just ask for a refund.

Arde5643

Quick, guys! Is the 360 worth to buy just to play SF4 on the consoles?

I'm fuckin hyped about the game but how much worth is the 360 to get just to play SF4?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
jam86 said:
But I was never promised a date for these sticks in store, while when you preorder them online it clearly states ships out by 2/10/09. So I'll wait patiently... but if its not there by NEXT Friday, a new magazine rack will go flying every day I have to wait.

From my experience, here's how it usually worked. All of the sticks were actually marked in the store systems as 2/10/09. Like with the games you preorder with a release date (unless it says SD, which is street date), that's usually when a piece of hardware will ship out to stores. That's why I figured stores would have it at the same date the website did. <shrugs>

Cest la vie.

Anyways, any other fun tidbits coming out from people with the game? It's kind of sad to hear that the anime is pretty trashy. I knew they weren't going with Group TAC (which produced two decent SF anime shows and one god awful SFA anime) so I was wary, but looking at the Ken clip...yikes.

haunts said:
Haha I remember when I first saw that I was filled with happiness and rage all at the same time. lol.
Fuck Yun but YANG would be so awesome in SFIV. He is an EX meter beast..
Seriously, low foward into EX slashes all day! :lol

Arde5643 said:

I'm fuckin hyped about the game but how much worth is the 360 to get just to play SF4?

I'm a street fighter whore so take my opinion with a grain of salt but the anwer is yes. I'm getting 2 TE sticks, the 360 version, the ps3 ce, all the dlc, and the wall scroll someone posted.

like i said, a grain of salt lol

EDIT: i'm also a mgs whore so i spent ~2000 for mgs4 including game, guide, projector, surround system, etc

Blueblur1

Kintaro and anyone else upset about the stick situation needs to calm down. Yes, everything should have been street dated so the shipments of SFIV copies and accessories would have been at their respective stores and online retailers by a specific date ready for launch. Obviously, that didn't happen and what's going down isn't really an organized launch of a set of products. The responsibility falls on Mad Catz, Capcom and the retailers. Its a shame, honestly.

But just don't sweat it. Maybe some of these items are hard to find RIGHT NOW, but eventually we'll be able to get our hands on them. I'm sure of it (I'm an optimist, of course). All of this mess will be a memory soon. (Well, hopefully.)

Zapages

bdizzle said:
Even thought I haven't played a lot of 3rd strike, IV seems more like ST than TS. You have to learn links pretty well to do the combos effectively. Comboing supers is like TS though, thank god. It's a good mix between the two IMO.

Is it anything like Alpha Series, A2 or A3??? I was farily good in those games, but I've been fairly rusty as it has been +6 years since I played them.

ShinAmano

Arde5643 said:

If all you care about is one game and you have the cash...yes...though I have not played it yet ;)

blackadde

Zapages said:
How do you guys think I will fair in SF IV...

Overall: CvsS2 > SF 3 TS > SSF 2T >>>>>>>>> MvsC2

I suck at SSF IIT while playing on high difficulty settings... I usually get to like the 5 or 6 character before I continuously lose. On average setting, I decent and get to M Bison (Dictator) and stuff..

I am average in SF III third strike, like the parries as it kind of evens the gameplay out. But I suck at high level against anyone that is really good.

Capcom vs SNK 2, now this is the game that I rule in. I've played a bit competitively and I've done fairly good in it...

Marvel vs Capcom 2 - this game I totally suck at... So I am not going to say a thing about it.

there's no shoshosho and no roll-cancelling in sfiv, so i'd say that you're fucked.

SSnake

haunts said:

Yeah I turned it off, I want to unlock characters. The 3 battles I had were at two bars. Two disconnected before we could finished. Right when I finished the first one, 5 seconds into the fight with CPU in arcade mod - A NEW CHALLENGER

haunts said:
Hey can you set minimum amount of bars to play in options? I wouldnt want to play anyone less than 3 bars.

Not sure, my Japanese is not that good.

Zapages said:
Is it anything like Alpha Series, A2 or A3??? I was farily good in those games, but I've been fairly rusty as it has been +6 years since I played them.

if you're good at street fighter you're good at street fighter so you should be ok. SFIV plays very VERY differently than ST, 3s, and the alpha series IMO. but more like ST than any other game IMO. It feels different, a lot smoother. All the mechanics (links, cancels, focus attacks, fadc, etc) really make it it's own experience.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Arde5643 said:

My 360's only worth is as a SF4 player.

Get one. Get SF4. Be happy.

Blueblur1 said:
I was a little late with that last post. Anyway, the FightPads are awesome. They're definitely worth the $40.

Indeed. I won't be using them to play SF4, but for other games in demand of a better dpad. But I really like them. :D

haunts said:

I'll check, but I'm pretty sure you can't. The only options I remember seeing was ranked or player matches.

EDIT:

Just checked, you can change the search priority (Any, stability, same skill, more skilled), but I'm not sure if that's specifically for Arcade request matches. I think it's for searches in general.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Zapages said:
Luckily, I didn't really exploit/dependent on that though... lol

Whats shoshosho???

bdizzle said:
if you're good at street fighter you're good at street fighter so you should be ok. SFIV plays very VERY differently than ST, 3s, and the alpha series IMO. but more like ST than any other game IMO. It feels different, a lot smoother. All the mechanics (links, cancels, focus attacks, fadc, etc) really make it it's own experience.

yeah, all the basics are there but it takes time to get used to.. some characters like Ken will feel fluid right off the bat while others I remember feeling slow and clunky until I got the hang of them. def has its own feel..

thetrin said:
Christ almighty, I hate Chun Li. I cannot beat Seth with her, even on the easiest difficulty. Everyone else is absolutely no prob, but I CANNOT use her. ARGH!
That's funny, I hate Chun-Li too but didn't have too many difficulties beating Seth with her. Crimson Viper is exactly the opposite for me however (yes I'm playing on Easy), so much that I doubt I'll unlock Cammy any time soon at this rate. Here's hoping I fare a whole lot better once my stick arrives.

Kintaro said:
Anymore confirmations on how to unlock more colors? Sorry if I missed it.
I've unlocked some additional colors by completing a few different challenges from the Challenge. You don't need to do this for every character by the way, because they're available for anyone once you unlock a new color. There should also be 10 in total.

Guled said:
I really hope so, also is it me or is Ken's voice the same as Dante's
I'm not sure, but I do know that Seth's English voice is (funnily enough) the cop narrator from Crackdown.

haunts said:
Fuck Yun but YANG would be so awesome in SFIV. He is an EX meter beast..
Yang >>>> Yun fo sho

polyh3dron said:
So I've asked this before and I didn't really get any answers cept for donkey and MarkMan, but who in LA GAF is going to the release party tonight?

What the hell?! I just heard about this. It wasn't advertised well at all...at least not to the hardcore-casual fans like myself. I'll definitely try and be there (a mile from where I live after all). Do you know if RSVP is required for entry?

haunts said:

yeah, all the basics are there but it takes time to get used to.. some characters like Ken will feel fluid right off the bat while others I remember feeling slow and clunky until I got the hang of them. def has its own feel..

All the characters feel different. The timing on almost everything is way different. That's why I said it plays very different than those other Street fighters.

Arde5643

All right, fuckers - thanks for convincing me.

I'll probably try to find some good deals first for the 360 pro or elite since I don't want to get the arcade version.

After that, it's all about sticks, right? Especially since the 360 pad pretty much sucks balls...

Basically, if I want to main guys like Fuerte or Fei Long - is it better to get pads or sticks?

Help me again, oh GAF!

haunts

Bacon of Hope
bdizzle said:
All the characters feel different. The timing on almost everything is way different. That's why I said it plays very different than those other Street fighters.

Yeah its like links are easier than some games, but there are less chain combos (way less) so it kind of meets in the middle where the links are retarded hard like some games, but there are only a few "win buttons" (like Rufus HK -> LK chain).

ChrisGoldstein said:
Is Blanka pretty good in IV?

Yes. All the characters are "pretty good". haha.

rager

Banned
bdizzle said:

Timing really is different. It will take a little getting use to. It has been a while since I played on a stick, so I will have quite a learning curve.

Oh and the 360 controller is UTTER crap on this game, you cannot do any decent combos with that controller. Ugh.

Zapages

rager said:
Timing really is different. It will take a little getting use to. It has been a while since I played on a stick, so I will have quite a learning curve.

Oh and the 360 controller is UTTER crap on this game, you cannot do any decent combos with that controller. Ugh.

Great, that's what the Gamestop SFIV tournament is using...

PS: I checked shoshosho thing... I know what you mean....

AndresON777

shooting blanks
rager said:

I got the chun li game pad it's not great but definitely an improvement over the 360 controller.

At least the face buttons are ace

Sallokin

Cheech said:
The 360 HRAP-EX has a similar, if not the same stick as the TEs (I'm not sure about the HRAP3 PS3 stick though). The buttons, from what I can gather, are similar to the Standard Fight STick.

So, it's kind of like a hybrid of the two Mad Catz sticks. The buttons on the HRAPs are easy to replace if that's your thing.

Thanks for the heads up. I went ahead an ordered it and will be looking in to modding the buttons etc. but I'm totally inexperienced when it comes to those kinds of things anyway.

rager

Banned
Zapages said:
Great, that's what the Gamestop SFIV tournament is using...

PS: I checked shoshosho thing... I know what you mean....

I know, that is so stupid to restrict play with the 360 controller in that tournament. Why not have 2 TEs or at least the official SFIV gamepad. That whole tournament sounds lame and I surely will NOT compete.

Ashhong

not sure if this was posted but west coast gamestops have the TE stick in. well at least the ones in my district do (OC area). unfortunately we didnt get any standard ones in. we have to call the people and let them know their stick in. they have 2 days until i buy it.

Duke Togo

1q4v1e.jpg

I'm ready! :D

luffeN

ok ok ok, noob question here ;)

i'm currently trying ryu trial hard level 2. that's the one with FA, solar plexus strike etc. i dont know how to land the solar plexus strike after the FA.. i only managed to do it once out of 100 tries.. :D what is the "trick" behind that? thx

edit: thx bdizzle

Phthisis

myDingling said:
What the hell?! I just heard about this. It wasn't advertised well at all...at least not to the hardcore-casual fans like myself. I'll definitely try and be there (a mile from where I live after all). Do you know if RSVP is required for entry?

RSVP needed, yes.

I'll be there, by the way, for anyone who wants to challenge me.

entraik

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
"My copy just shipped from the Capcom Store. I'm giddy."

Did you get a backordered email earlier and it still shipped?

wait wuttt.. i got a backordered email and i called capcom tech support up and they cancelled my order. What have I done.... nooooooo.

banKai said:
ok ok ok, noob question here ;)

i'm currently trying ryu trial hard level 2. that's the one with FA, solar plexus strike etc. i dont know how to land the solar plexus strike after the FA.. i only managed to do it once out of 100 tries.. :D what is the "trick" behind that? thx

After the FA lands fwd dash then do the solar plexus. It's kinda hard to do on a pad, but it's doable.

I must say I think Abel is a shoto's worse nightmare and im loving it. if you miss a shoryuken, prepare to get punish masively with a d. fp ultra

entraik

Banned
shouamabane said:
Yes. (PS3:CE)

wtf.. fuck capcom for doing this... I get a backordered email saying that both the game and fightpad are BACKORDERED...resulting in me cancelling my order, only to find out that this is some sick twisted joke they're playing..

>_<

IM FURIOUS

Arde5643

Since no one answered this earlier - for anyone who wants to main either El Fuerte or Fei Long, is it better to use pads or sticks?

Darkman M

Arde5643 said:
Since no one answered this earlier - for anyone who wants to main either El Fuerte or Fei Long, is it better to use pads or sticks?

Most will tell you sticks are better period, but if your more comfortable with a pad buy a sf4 or saturn pad.

Top Bottom