• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
BTW, I wanted to apologize to the thread about earlier. Sorry. =/ Just passionate about playing the game and picking up high quality accessories with it.

Darkman M

Kintaro said:
BTW, I wanted to apologize to the thread about earlier. Sorry. =/ Just passionate about playing the game and picking up high quality accessories with it.

:lol You had every right to speak your mind over the situation, it's all good.

bumpkin

Kintaro said:
I completely feel your pain man, so I saw no wrong in being genuinely miffed. I'm right there with you.

When I get out in the next hour or so, I'm going to B-line to Best Buy and see if perhaps they have any sticks. I'm hoping the fact I was only one of two people to reserve TE sticks at GameStop might bode well for stock sitting still at any other stores. If I find a stick, I'm gonna snag it and get a refund from GameStop.

I'm about to ask a very noob question that has likely been asked before so if you feel the need to rip my head off, you are welcome to do so.......What's the best stick/value ratio for a not super hardcore player? I feel the need to get a stick since I've been playing more and more fighting games lately, but I don't ever intend on becoming good enough to care about 8-gate or Sanwa clicky feel whatever the crap. So any suggestions? I also own VF5 and DOA4 on 360 if that helps...

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Played 7 hour straight of SF4 yesterday..I'm tired. The game is just amazing, online works perfectly (although the ping meter for people seems irrelevant, I've had lag-free matches with red pings), lots of fun stuff to unlock, and the challenge on medium is very intimidating. I'm very impressed with the game, especially the soundtrack! It's nice that the Japanese version has all the English voice options too. At first I thought it didn't but they unlock after one playthrough. Now back to more online!

vertopci

haunts said:
hey question for all you guys who have the game.. can you do this in SFIV???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtuA5we0RZU

There's no parry in SF4...I thought every person in the world knew this?

myDingling said:
I'm about to ask a very noob question that has likely been asked before so if you feel the need to rip my head off, you are welcome to do so.......What's the best stick/value ratio for a not super hardcore player? I feel the need to get a stick since I've been playing more and more fighting games lately, but I don't ever intend on becoming good enough to care about 8-gate or Sanwa clicky feel whatever the crap. So any suggestions? I also own VF5 and DOA4 on 360 if that helps...

Just get a plain Hori Fighting Stick if you don't care about modding it.

Arde5643

haunts said:
...what!? im deleting this thread and canning my preorder. thats bullshit.
Are you sure this is SF4 and not SF EX 4? Seriously though, what kinda bullshit is this that they call SF EX 4 SF4?

WTH, man!

demigod

shouamabane said:
My copy just shipped from the Capcom Store. I'm giddy.

lol this is so funny, 2 companies just owned most of the people with the preorders. First Gamestop(the ashley phone call with the sticks) now Capcom. Next up will be MadCatz.

LowParry

demigod said:
lol this is so funny, 2 companies just owned most of the people with the preorders. First Gamestop(the ashley phone call with the sticks) now Capcom. Next up will be MadCatz.

That dirty whore lied to me. And on top of that, today GS gets the SE in, but not their TE. What gives.

arstal said:
Would Monday being a holiday affect shipments?

Is it a holiday in the states too? Shit, I bet Canada doesn't get it until Thursday. Why didn't they just release it before the long weekend?

Kintaro

arstal said:
Would Monday being a holiday affect shipments?

Good question, not sure if it's one of those major holidays where UPS takes the day off or not. I know my job isn't. =(

Takuan

worldrevolution said:
Played 7 hour straight of SF4 yesterday..I'm tired. The game is just amazing, online works perfectly (although the ping meter for people seems irrelevant, I've had lag-free matches with red pings), lots of fun stuff to unlock, and the challenge on medium is very intimidating. I'm very impressed with the game, especially the soundtrack! It's nice that the Japanese version has all the English voice options too. At first I thought it didn't but they unlock after one playthrough. Now back to more online!
360 or PS3?

Blueblur1

Okay, I just saw a commercial for the Street Fighter Chun-Li movie on TV. Oh man, does it look bad. Its obvious the release of the game and film were strategically coordinated. I bet Capcom and the film studios are banking on the public SF nostalgia. I'm going to see it myself just so I can laugh my way through the whole film like I did with the third RE film. :p

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Kintaro said:
To be honest, I'm in the same boat as you. I have two SE sticks and one TE stick reserved, and haven't heard word yet about any of it.

Blueblur1

Kintaro said:
That's very mature of you. If only the rest of GAF was like that. Either way, its the best game forum online for general gaming discussion.

Echoes

Kintaro said:
Okay. More game impressions all....six of you who have the game. Chop chop!
Dude, this shit is awesome. If SF4 turned, for an absurd reason, into weed, I'd buy them with my soul even though it's forbidden in my religion. Well, not really. But anyway, I suck at hype, so yeah, game kicks ass in nearly every aspect. :lol

When I played my first match, I was like "whoa, this isn't fast-paced as SF2 Remix". If you've been playing the HDRemix for a while you'll need couple of matches to get the SF4 feel. After that you're all set, I'm not expert at fighting games but it seems quite balanced, speed is well-done and combos links up much better than previous games (or let's say, I do better at SF4 than 2 and 3). I simply LOVE the new Super\Ultra combos, where you could do 2 awesome 'finishers' in one freaking round. As you know, Super Moves Gauge is filled while you attack and do combos while the Revenge Gauge (which is used for Ultra Moves) is filled up when you're taking damage, so no matter how you do in a round you could turn the table upside down and nail the other player. It happened several times in my session and believe me, that was unbelievable. What I like about SF4 is that even casual gamers (my older bro who doesn't game much) could do well in it, without feeling overwhelmed at all, but at the same time it doesn't ruin the game for the elitists. I love 3, it's my favorite fighting game, but it was harder to get my friends to play because it was sort of "confusing", you know.

I said it before and I'm saying it now, new characters are awesome. I'm training for Abel now. While I loved Balrog I thought he lacked some things here and there, so Abel is the perfect boxer in my eyes. He does have variety of attacks and his finishers are amazing. El Fuerte could be described easily with two words: lightning speed. GOD, this dude runs like a leopard. He can kick the wall (a la Chun Li) so that's very neat for a new pal, we needed an extra wall-kicker. Haven't played much with Rufus, but Crimson Viper is slick and cool. One of the best character designs I have seen in years. Her personality is done very good, and her attacks are fast and deadly. Her finishers are awesome, unlike Ryu or any hadouken-type player, her finishers most likely will hit you unless you studied her attacks very well. She kicked my ass couple of times in the Arcade mode, haha.

I also dig the visuals. In general, the presentation is top-freaking-notch. Ink splatters here and there, everything's organized and looks very good. I wished for a "crazier" Main Menu but this classic approach isn't bad at all. Do the job well. At almost each round's end the screens flashes with all kind of awesome attacks you finished the round with, like for instance Ryu's blue Hadouken and Sagat's orangish Tiger Shot. Spectacular. Seriously, no fighting game ever wowed me as much as SF4 when it comes to being elegant and stylish without losing its focus in the real thing.

Don't care about what we're getting this year, this is my GOTY.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Takuan said:
360 or PS3?

PS3. Actually another small complaint is in ranked match search it only brings up 3 players at a time..wish it was a longer list. It also reloads the list every time you fail to connect to someone. Makes it feel like there's only a few people playing.

Also echoing the guy above me. New chars are great..especially Abel.

Went to gamestop asking about the ps3 arcade stick. they said i can pick it up with the game on monday. fuck it. when I get i'm putting it on ebay and jacking up the price :lol

Kintaro

Blueblur1 said:
That's very mature of you. If only the rest of GAF was like that. Either way, its the best game forum online for general gaming discussion.

:lol I run a website called Zen Otaku. I wouldn't be very "Zen" if I couldn't calm down and apologize when I get all "Otaku" about stuff. :D

Guled

Blueblur1 said:
Okay, I just saw a commercial for the Street Fighter Chun-Li movie on TV. Oh man, does it look bad. Its obvious the release of the game and film were strategically coordinated. I bet Capcom and the film studios are banking on the public SF nostalgia. I'm going to see it myself just so I can laugh my way through the whole film like I did with the third RE film. :p
and thats why movie tie ins are keep being made

Woot my copy is in Alaska which means I should get it tomorrow like planned.

Does anyoneknow if XB360 Jap/Asian version automatically translate the menus into English like I heard earlier from Darkman?

SSnake

So with cammy you can combo super or ultra of a spin knuckle or Hooligan slide, however the ultra will not do the throw part.

Spy

DMPrince said:
Went to gamestop asking about the ps3 arcade stick. they said i can pick it up with the game on monday. fuck it. when I get i'm putting it on ebay and jacking up the price :lol
Gamestop told you they were going to sell SFIV on monday?

keanerie

Kintaro said:

That's cool, and thanks for not be a dbag about it. I understand where you're coming from, I feel the same way and I've been backordered on my TE stick from Capcom and have my copy pre-ordered at Amazon that probably is coming late.

I just feel like people get sometimes get caught up in the act of buying and consuming games and everything about a game that isn't actually playing it, that's my gripe.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
keanerie said:
That's cool, and thanks for not be a dbag about it. I understand where you're coming from, I feel the same way and I've been backordered on my TE stick from Capcom and have my copy pre-ordered at Amazon that probably is coming late.

I just feel like people get sometimes get caught up in the act of buying and consuming games and everything about a game that isn't actually playing it, that's my gripe.

I agree but having a stick is a pretty big part of playing this game, honestly.

and why arent there parries!?

Echoes

TurtleSnatcher said:
Woot my copy is in Alaska which means I should get it tomorrow like planned.

Does anyoneknow if XB360 Jap/Asian version automatically translate the menus into English like I heard earlier from Darkman?
Yup, even the manual is fully in English (it's colored too, pretty <3 ).

Spy said:
Gamestop told you they were going to sell SFIV on monday?

Eh. yeah. the manager said it but i highly doubt they'll actually get a monday shipment because we are always a 1-2 days late than everyone else.

LordK

Hey shoumabane,

Did you get order your copy next day (so is it coming tomorrow!?)? I hope other online retailers ship it soon.

Kintaro

keanerie said:

I feel ya there. Trust me though, I'm dying to play this. It's just that having a high quality stick to play it with is just...part of it all. Same with any fighter really. The sticks are an investment, hopefully, for years to come. It's a means of playing the game with no excuse for controls to me. Eliminate all excuses so it's that much more easier to learn from getting killed by others. =)

There are two games which make me absolutely giddy about playing right now. SF4 and MLB 09 The Show. The Show has done that to me since a couple of years back, and SF4 being the first in ten years. I don't cross days off of a calendar, but I've been doing it for these two. :D

54-46!

haunts said:
hey question for all you guys who have the game.. can you do this in SFIV???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtuA5we0RZU
I saw one guy playing Fuerte absorb a multiple hit special but I don't think it was the focus attack, thing is you absorb all of the damage so you would die if you'd use focus with 1hp left. So unlike parries there's a risk for using the focus attack, then again the reward isn't big anyway because you don't get an opening like in 3S since the focus attack needs to be charged.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Played for about six hours last night on 360... the Japanese crowd right now is not very good.:lol I did however, have a good 20 - 30 game bout with Kaqn (well-known Viper player in Japan) and he stomped me pretty good. Aside from Kaqn, I met a total of 3 people who did NOT use shotos.:lol I've been using Honda exclusively against everyone in ranked and I got a 70%-ish win rate... but that'll change once better people get online... or I give up Honda and main Sagat. :p

Good games with adversesolutions and john_tv though! Sorry for the Gouken bullshit, adverse lolol

edit: lol at all these idiots thinking haunts is some sort of SF4 noob. You guys are fools, and he baited you sooo hard lol

Oichi said:
Played for about six hours last night on 360... the Japanese crowd right now is not very good.:lol I did however, have a good 20 - 30 game bout with Kaqn (well-known Viper player in Japan) and he stomped me pretty good. Aside from Kaqn, I met a total of 3 people who did NOT use shotos.:lol I've been using Honda exclusively against everyone in ranked and I got a 70%-ish win rate... but that'll change once better people get online... or I give up Honda and main Sagat. :p

Good games with adversesolutions and john_tv though! Sorry for the Gouken bullshit, adverse lolol

edit: lol at all these idiots thinking haunts is some sort of SF4 noob. You guys are fools, and he baited you sooo hard lol

haha, you have two accounts here? was wondering who this knowledgable oichi guy was.

yeah gouken throw-> ultra is insane. gotta stay the fuck away from the big guy when he's flashing red i guess is the lesson.

Top Bottom