• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

ghaleon said:
Sunday Study Guide:

GG results = ?? will post tomorrow, don't have the bracket right now
3s results = 1st Issei, 2nd Justin W, 3rd Frodo

All matches should be streamed unless we need to start running an additional non-streamed station for time purposes (we should be good on one).

BB Top 8 (12 p.m.)
YK_KoF, HC, Fubarduck, 10stars, Jack G, Juicy Chicken, Aaron S, Lord Knight

SF:HD Top 8 (after)
Winners: Daigo vs. DGV; AmanO vs. Damdai
Losers: Sanford vs. Vega (Immortal), JoshtheFuncDoc vs.Eduardo (vVv Scrub)

SB Marvel, home of Pringles (after):
Winners: Magneto X, Sanford, Neo, Justin W
Losers: fanatiq, Matrix, Chunk, j360

SFIV Top 16 (like 5 p.m.)
Winners: Justin/Fascinating, vVv Scrub/Issei, iloveyjoe/Floe, TwistedJago/Daigo
Losers: Lud/Vegita X, Dr. Chaos/checkmate, DemonHyo/ramza, Wolfkrone/Sanford

Also 3s results
1. Issei (yun)
2. JWong (Chun, Ken)
3. Frodo (Ryu)
4. Daigo (Ken)

Daigo Vs. Justin first to 10
Daigo wins 10-2
iloveu joe beats Tim Static in first to 10 for $100 in UMK3, 10-4

Woah I had no idea Issei started playing sf4! For those that don't know, Issei used to be one of the most dominant old school Yuns in Japan, but came up to NY for school. He partnered w/ Wong and took 3s at evo for free. The guy was way better at 3s than Daigo ever was. Didn't kno he'd come out to SB4 as well, he'll be a monster at SF4.

TwistedJago aka Andre vs. Daigo should be a bomb ass match, I'm pullin for Andre! Also Dr. Chaos in the top 16 is a pleasant sight, he has a ridiculous Ken.

Is vVv scrub the same Eduardo from Evo sf4 top 8?

FindMyFarms said:
Woah I had no idea Issei started playing sf4! For those that don't know, Issei used to be one of the most dominant old school Yuns in Japan, but came up to NY for school. He partnered w/ Wong and took 3s at evo for free. The guy was way better at 3s than Daigo ever was. Didn't kno he'd come out to SB4 as well, he'll be a monster at SF4.

TwistedJago aka Andre vs. Daigo should be a bomb ass match, I'm pullin for Andre! Also Dr. Chaos in the top 16 is a pleasant sight, he has a ridiculous Ken.

He's been trying to get into SFIV for a minute. I was watching video interviews. He's also been translating for Daigo (as well as his scrub partners from the 3 on 3). I can't really comment on who is who from the TS scene in Japan.

And yeah same Eduardo that used Boxer/Honda in Evo. He was part of the Puerto Rican team with Fubarduck. You said he wasn't coming. Maybe you should've hitched a ride.

And this Blazblue coverage is yawn. I've only played the game once. Just not my cup of tea.

Cowie

_dementia said:
wow at Daigo in top 8 winners for a game his country doesn't have and he hadn't played until Evo

I don't know that the game is so different from ST that having strong fundamentals won't carry over. It's certainly different enough to throw you off (iirc at evo ryu's fake fireball was giving him trouble?), but it's not like they threw him on something solely american like MK vs DC and told him to have at it.

Spiderjericho said:
He's been trying to get into SFIV for a minute. I was watching video interviews. He's also been translating for Daigo (as well as his scrub partners from the 3 on 3). I can't really comment on who is who from the TS scene in Japan.

And yeah same Eduardo that used Boxer/Honda in Evo. He was part of the Puerto Rican team with Fubarduck. You said he wasn't coming. Maybe you should've hitched a ride.

And this Blazblue coverage is yawn. I've only played the game once. Just not my cup of tea.

Oh man that's crazy. Eduardo vs. Issei should be a wild match, can't wait (to not watch it since I have to be at work T_T)

And I said Buktooth couldn't make it, not Fubar, but I'm glad he's holdin it down for Tx on the BB!

nilbog21

Banned
Prob a very newbie question:

When Ryu jump kicks me and follows it with a light punch->throw, is there any way I can stop that with balrog? i cant jab interrupt his throw :(

profit

nilbog21 said:
Prob a very newbie question:

When Ryu jump kicks me and follows it with a light punch->throw, is there any way I can stop that with balrog? i cant jab interrupt his throw :(
You should be able to tech the throw

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
apparently fLoE (a Sagat player) asked Daigo what he thought his best matchup was and he said... Sagat.:lol

fLoE now contemplating busting out Sakura instead to surprise Daigo.:lol :lol :lol

Cowie said:
I don't know that the game is so different from ST that having strong fundamentals won't carry over. It's certainly different enough to throw you off (iirc at evo ryu's fake fireball was giving him trouble?), but it's not like they threw him on something solely american like MK vs DC and told him to have at it.
yeah i know

Dizzy-4U

Fersis said:
IF anyone needs a noob to kick his ass im on PSN.
I dont have anyone to play since Dizzy-4-U doesnt want to play with me.
According to his words : 'U Noob LOLZ' :(
You go to bed too early grandpa! I can't play during the day =/

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
FindMyFarms said:

Is Issei the guy in blue jacket standing next to Daigo here? This was right after Daigo lost to Sanford (the first time).

117bx5h.jpg

A few more photos from yesterday. I should probably try to take "crowd reaction" shots like Kara does, but I'm more interested in watching the fights than taking photos. I'll try photographing all 16 finalists in SF4 today.

oir2a.jpg

Triforce complete with PowerGlove

nqp6jd.jpg

Daigo vs. Jibbo in pool round. Notice who's standing behiind Daigo. BTW who's the guy in the white jacket next to Justin?

29xvp5l.jpg

Justin vs. Sanford in SF4 3-on-3 grand finals. The reports that Sanford gets nervous facing Justin are not exaggerated. He was shaking like a leaf.

15rfa54.jpg

Crowd watching the featured match (which is what you guys see on the online stream)

Thanks for the photos SnowWolf, how'd you do overall?

And Andre vs Daigo is my most anticipated of the matches in the top 16. Andre has looked so good lately, he's been bullying everybody(not named Justin Wong) with his crazy scissor kick rushdown. I'd like to see how Daigo will respond to this.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Im back from SB4. Played like crap but i lost to good players so no mortons here.
Im not sure but there was talk of starting fresh with the top 16 (wiping the losers losses).

Also, mad salt was being thrown at Wolfkrone (pad Viper/Rose player) for beating peeps in pool play :lol. One dude say man fuck you ,you suck after losing..... Dude is only 14 or some shit but he's a cool kid and was laughing.

Also, rumor is no Fei Wong until finals....

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I did awful, but I'm not surprised considering I'm a scrub to begin with and didn't get much practice in the last two weeks because of school. I thought I wouldn't be nervous because nobody knows who I am and I fully expected to lose. But it is SO different playing in a tournament setting with your opponent loudly smacking the buttons (I found this very distracting), and a crowd of people behind you watching the match. Plus it's hard to suddenly go from 0-60 in 2 seconds when you're just standing around for hours waiting for your turn to fight and all of a sudden your name gets called.

My first opponent was a Sagat who I felt was straightforward and someone I could have beat if I was sitting comfortably at home. In a tourney environment though, I was missing combos all over the place and missed headbutt into ultra TWICE (I hit this 100% in my sleep at home). He beat me 2-0 in the first game. I won the first round in the second game. When he took the second round in the second game, I turned to him, ready to shake his hand. That's how demoralized I was, my head clearly wasn't in the game. He kinda smiled and said, "It's not over, man". Very nice guy, reassured me that it was a good fight afterwards (I probably looked depressed)

My second opponent in loser's bracket was superstar commentator Yipes. This was about 1.5 hours after my first match (because Yipes was commentating on the stream and couldn't come fight me right away). At this point, I didn't care about my progress in the tournament and just wanted to watch the SF4 3-on-3 to be honest. He beat me 2-0, 2-0 with his Ken. Nice guy also.

Good tourney experience, I feel like I leveled up just simply participating in my first one.

PhatSaqs said:
Im back from SB4. Played like crap but i lost to good players so no mortons here.
Im not sure but there was talk of starting fresh with the top 16 (wiping the losers losses).

Also, mad salt thrown at Wolfkrone (pad Viper/Rose player) for beating peeps in pool play :lol. Dude is only 14 or some shit but he's a cool kid and was laughing.

Also, rumor is no Fei Wong until finals....
oh god more of Justin's Fei Long would be so awesome

SnowWolf said:
I did awful, but I'm not surprised considering I'm a scrub to begin with and didn't get much practice in the last two weeks because of school. I thought I wouldn't be nervous because nobody knows who I am and I fully expected to lose. But it is SO different playing in a tournament setting with your opponent loudly smacking the buttons (I found this very distracting), and a crowd of people behind you watching the match. Plus it's hard to suddenly go from 0-60 in 2 seconds when you're just standing around for hours waiting for your turn to fight and all of a sudden your name gets called.

My first opponent was a Sagat who I felt was straightforward and someone I could have beat if I was sitting comfortably at home. In a tourney environment though, I was missing combos all over the place and missed headbutt into ultra TWICE (I hit this 100% in my sleep at home). He beat me 2-0 in the first game. I won the first round in the second game. When he took the second round in the second game, I turned to him, ready to shake his hand. That's how demoralized I was, my head clearly wasn't in the game. He kinda smiled and said, "It's not over, man". Very nice guy, reassured me that it was a good fight afterwards (I probably looked depressed)

My second opponent in loser's bracket was superstar commentator Yipes. This was about 1.5 hours after my first match (because Yipes was commentating on the stream and couldn't come fight me right away). At this point, I didn't care about my progress in the tournament and just wanted to watch the SF4 3-on-3 to be honest. He beat me 2-0, 2-0 with his Ken. Nice guy also.

Good tourney experience, I feel like I leveled up just simply participating in my first one.

Yeah, tournaments are a crazy experience especially the first couple times, you need to work out your tournaments jitters. The more people you meet, especially during casuals I feel, the much, much, much better you become. Because, you are 10X less nervous. In fact, once you beat the nervousness you will have an amazing time, and you will level up big time.

Don't get down on yourself, NO ONE does good in their first tournament. I don't care if you sit people down at home for free online or whatever. When elimination is on the line the level of play and the style of play is so completely different. It is nothing like the online competition, am I right?

Also, unlike online, people are supremely nice, respectful, and cool as hell in person. For example, I feel like the fighting game community are some of the coolest guys to hang with IRL. But SRK as a board, people can be real assholes and there is an overall negative vibe. You don't get that at tourneys.

/rant.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
PhatSaqs said:
Also, mad salt was being thrown at Wolfkrone (pad Viper/Rose player) for beating peeps in pool play :lol. One dude say man fuck you ,you suck after losing..... Dude is only 14 or some shit but he's a cool kid and was laughing.

Ah, so it wasn't porkloafking.

But anyway, :lol at people being salty for getting beat because the dude uses a pad.

Well it looks like Daigo just won HDR. This is his 2nd time playing the game but he was able to adjust quickly to HDR changes and rebalances, just goes to show his strong fundamentals are. Next we'll have to see how quickly he can adjust to console characters if he runs into them in top 16.

Busaiku said:
Daigo hasn't even really played HDR has he, right?

Evo 2K9 and this weekend at Season's Beatings 4 is pretty much the only time he has played HDR. Dude definitely has money to buy a PS3 or 360, but it looks like he doesn't care and will just come here and try to win based on his knowledge and experience with arcade SF4 and Super Turbo.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Japan doesn't even have HDR, so how would he have played it?

ALSO WHY IS THERE A GERMAN SOUNDING GUY YELLING IN THE BACKGROUND RIGHT NOW? SOME KLAUS KINSKI SHIT IS GOING DOWN RIGHT NOW.

I'm loading up SF4 PC right now Rice!

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Timedog said:
Japan doesn't even have HDR, so how would he have played it?

I think I remember Daigo or some other JP player saying that some people have gotten it through foreign PS3/Live accounts like we can get JP accounts.

Well I'm sure if he wanted to, he could get some connections to get him a American account and money so he could buy the game. And sure, lets get some games before SF4 finals start.

DryEyeRelief said:
I'm not sure how on topic this question is but they're playing at Season's Beatings, Marvel on the DC right? Why not the HD version?
the PSN/XBLA game has glitches that differ from the DC/Arcade release, so the competitive community prefers the DC port.

Top Bottom