• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Teknoman

Anyone have problems with their fightstick recently? I've had my standard edition fight stick since launch, and havent really had any problems out of it, aside from the start button ceasing to work for a few hours. However, recently i've had times where only one face button on the stick would be recognized, or none at all.

Sometimes this goes away after awhile, but it's been getting worse. I've already checked the turbo switches, lock switch, and directional input type switches, so those arent causing the problem. Not sure why button recognition would be going in and out randomly.

I remember reading the older topic at Shoryuken.com about free repairs and shipping, but havent recieved a response from Mad Catz tech support.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Teknopathetic said:
You won't get comfortable using a stick if you swap back to a pad any time you start to feel bitter
salty
because you lose due to execution errors.
Absolutely, the desire to win is holding you back. You need to let that go and accept you're rebuilding your gaming skill from the ground up.
That said, when I first switched to stick, the most immediate advantage I noticed was that I could do the same motions as fast as I could on pad, but with less strain.
For me it was button control. Hitting two punches or three punches is so much easier. Then there's the definitely whole ergonomics issue because, as I'm sure I've said before, I've injured my thumb during a Megaman X binge on a pad and because of that I haven't played them on a pad since.

A pretty obvious observation, considering your anatomy, but still one that made me realize that I would be better served playing more on stick, even if I was dropping supers, getting random jumps, etc. If you want to get up to scratch, you're gonna have to make a concerted effort towards it (training mode and playing it in every game possible).
Including the other meaning of the word "game". Use your stick for other games too. I've noticed that I've had problems hitting up cleanly while playing SMB2 and slipping off vines I tried to jump on.

"Including the other meaning of the word "game". Use your stick for other games too. I've noticed that I've had problems hitting up cleanly while playing SMB2 and slipping off vines I tried to jump on."

I actually meant that meaning. I was using my stick in stuff like Bionic Commando: Rearmed.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Teknopathetic said:
I actually meant that meaning. I was using my stick in stuff like Bionic Commando: Rearmed.
Ok then. Either way, arcade stick is the kb+mouse of 2D gaming. Once you acclimate it's the preferred method of control.

Solune

Hitokage said:
Absolutely, the desire to win is holding you back. You need to let that go and accept you're rebuilding your gaming skill from the ground up.
For me it was button control. Hitting two punches or three punches is so much easier. Then there's the definitely whole ergonomics issue because, as I'm sure I've said before, I've injured my thumb during a Megaman X binge on a pad and because of that I haven't played them on a pad since.

Including the other meaning of the word "game". Use your stick for other games too. I've noticed that I've had problems hitting up cleanly while playing SMB2 and slipping off vines I tried to jump on.

Megaman X on a stick eh? That's pretty crazy considering the X series is WAY faster paced than the original series in terms of speed. Perhaps I should give that a try, I think I've been going at it about the wrong way, should be playing faster paced games with stick as opposed to slower paced games.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
GGs grifter. Think you're the dude who beat me like 19-1 a few months back, so it's good to see I've gotten somewhat better since then. Even if I won a few of those matches 'cause you started doing nothing but dp and shit.

Majestros

You can't handle the truth!
Actually i'm really looking forward to seeing the responses for this one. The basic challenge is "get over 600" but the implied challenge is "find the max."

Plus who knows what the Fuerte players will come up with?

MIMIC

Banned
Majestros said:
Second combo challenge is live!

SF4 Combo Challenge 02: Gief / Fuerte

Like before, video responses only please. (I don't care about capture quality as long as you zoom into the Attack Data box or something.)

Fuerte! Right up my alley! :D

ETA: Wow....600 pts is a LOT :lol

EDIT #2:

Wow. I tried this: Jump in HK > RSF (6x) *stun* > Ultra. That only came up to 564. lol

CPS2

Isn't there a way to go HP xx EX run > stop > ultra? If you can do that after 6xRSF...

Someone point me to some macros for PC -_-

Teknoman said:
Anyone have problems with their fightstick recently?
I have a MadCatz SE stick and sometimes it gets messed up. For example in the middle of the fight, some buttons might stop working. They won't work until I unplug the controller and plug it in again. Once I lost all of my kick buttons in a match, so I decided to do an ultra to get some extra time to unplug the controller. That totally random ultra hit the opponent and I fixed the stick at the same time. :D

Fersis said:
Anyone knows a good Balrog crossup?
There is none. You can only do an empty jump on your opponents wake up so he won't be able to tell if you land on his front or back. Also after a crumble state, you can wait awhile and do c.lp xx lk lower upper which will dash you under your opponent and possibly confuse his block direction.

Majestros

UC1 said:
Isn't there a way to go HP xx EX run > stop > ultra? If you can do that after 6xRSF...
No cuz ultra is a throw so you can't combo into it from regular hitstun.

I don't think ultra is the best option for Fuerte anyway.

MIMIC

Banned
UC1 said:

Someone point me to some macros for PC -_-

My gut says no (since Fuerte has to jump for his Ultra, giving his opponent some time to recover) but I was testing out HP xx EX run > stop and I ALMOST want to say that if you had some fast fucking fingers to mash out that Ultra, he could pull it off. :)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Solune said:
Megaman X on a stick eh? That's pretty crazy considering the X series is WAY faster paced than the original series in terms of speed. Perhaps I should give that a try, I think I've been going at it about the wrong way, should be playing faster paced games with stick as opposed to slower paced games.
Actually, on a pad it's awkward firing single shots while maneuvering instead of charge shots because then how you press dash and jump with the middle of your thumb changes, but on a stick either way is equally doable. The only tricky part is getting down the dash~jump input because you can't just hit them at the same time, the dash needs to come first.

But yeah, definitely push yourself more.

It's been awhile since last time. My pace has slowed down, but winning % is going up.
stats.jpg

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Morphis said:
I believe so. Even matches against the CPU if I'm not mistaken.
what? that's just silly CPU ain't got no game.

I really hope Super has some insane amount of stat tracking, I wanna know how many times I've whiffed Falling Sky for instance!

Morphis

Brobzoid said:
what? that's just silly CPU ain't got no game.

I really hope Super has some insane amount of stat tracking, I wanna know how many times I've whiffed Falling Sky for instance!

Imagine the stats increase for trying to unlock all colors and taunts... Yeah, I was glad to see that they implemented a stats tracking system, only to have my smile melt away when I noticed what it tracked :( Imo it would have been a simple task to make more stats available. But then again, the development time that would have taken would probably have taken away from implementing the character specific tunes form playing in all modes. Oh wait...

But yeah, I'd also like to see more stats tracking. I like stats.

TaKeRx

Anyone wants to get some games going? I've been playing some other games so I definitely need to get my game back together.

GT: STi xTaKeRx

Majestros

MIMIC said:
My gut says no (since Fuerte has to jump for his Ultra, giving his opponent some time to recover) but I was testing out HP xx EX run > stop and I ALMOST want to say that if you had some fast fucking fingers to mash out that Ultra, he could pull it off. :)
What's Fuerte's most damaging special move? Maybe if you use that to dizzy instead of the last fierce, it'll close the gap to 600.

Someone said they had a solution for Fuerte but codec problems are getting the way of posting it. So in the next day or two, probably.

GGs Pandacraft. I look forward to it again tomorrow.

I've been analyzing how I play and I think I've regressed to novice level between mind games and stick execution. It's frustrating.

But I love the game so it's all good.

MIMIC

Banned
Majestros said:
What's Fuerte's most damaging special move? Maybe if you use that to dizzy instead of the last fierce, it'll close the gap to 600.

Someone said they had a solution for Fuerte but codec problems are getting the way of posting it. So in the next day or two, probably.

His most damaging special move is his EX Quesadilla Bomb (200 pts on Ryu).

Trying to stun an opponent with Fuerte is such a bitch. I can only do so many RSFs until it starts making me dizzy =p

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
So I join some dude's game. He lets the timer count down on the character select screen, and just stands there doing nothing for the first round of the match. So I waylay on him, since I don't have the patience to wait for someone to finish hitting a crack pipe before playing unless I'm playing someone on my friends list. He starts playing the second round, but I beat him and his pretty standard Balrog pretty soundly anyway. Nerd rage ensues.

35bf40m.jpg

Yeah, it's my fault this dude hit "ready" when he wasn't.

Grifter

Lost Fragment said:
GGs grifter. Think you're the dude who beat me like 19-1 a few months back, so it's good to see I've gotten somewhat better since then. Even if I won a few of those matches 'cause you started doing nothing but dp and shit.

That was you from before? I've been out of the game but you've surely gotten better (you played Gen before?) Sorry if I was tailing off. I passed out on my couch with the Xbox going last night. You made me think too hard!

Steaks

Majestros said:

Does it count if I use Giefs ultra as a buffer for super in the contest? :D Ultra wouldn't hit.

It's the laziest combo ever and would work without it anyway.

edit: highest damage i can find so far with gief is 697. by the way!

edit: 702!

edit: 863 if you cheat and do it on vega without mask :p

Solune

Hitokage said:
Actually, on a pad it's awkward firing single shots while maneuvering instead of charge shots because then how you press dash and jump with the middle of your thumb changes, but on a stick either way is equally doable. The only tricky part is getting down the dash~jump input because you can't just hit them at the same time, the dash needs to come first.

But yeah, definitely push yourself more.

Actually I don't play with my thumb.
I have my index finger on Y/Square, Middle finger on B/X, and Ring finger on A/Circle
(going by SNES/PS controller configurations)
My problem is operating (if that's a good word) the stick itself.
When I'm playing I just don't have the confidence to pull out moves in fighting games on command and I feel clumsy. If I'm playing casually I can pull off moves, but when a match gets intense I always end up losing because I miss the clutch DP or Ultra.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Solune said:
Actually I don't play with my thumb.
I have my index finger on Y/Square, Middle finger on B/X, and Ring finger on A/Circle
(going by SNES/PS controller configurations)
On a pad? Some people do that, I guess.

Threi

notag
not gunna bother with any bitching about the joystick today, i lost the motivation to even do that.

I will say that today I have gotten thrown 7 times in one round, and have gotten dizzied and perfected by a c.lp x3 > jump > c.lpx3 > jump loop.

heh.

Threi said:
not gunna bother with any bitching about the joystick today, i lost the motivation to even do that.

I will say that today I have gotten thrown 7 times in one round, and have gotten dizzied and perfected by a c.lp x3 > jump > c.lpx3 > jump loop.

heh.
I bet I could beat you with jump rk>sweep rk spammage while you're in slump.

gutabo

Threi said:

heh.
Heh, I fought a Ken on a one bar connection with so much lag he kept crossing me up with LK and doing c.LK x3 or jump HK, c.HK and it was so laggy I couldn't even block the right way after any jumping attack...

The commentary was great during BFA7. Was that Evil Rashaan or Andre?

Arturo is probably the most exciting player on the East Coast thanks to his Dhalsim and Seth.

It didn't seem like he knew the Fei Long matchup very well, but great play regardless.

Top Bottom