• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

fuck m bison

fuck him hard

On a serious note, getting better at this game is becoming more difficult. I get so mentally exhausted after intense sessions where I really think about every option and making a commitment to improving. Seems like I can go for about two or three hours before just being too tired to play.

Xevren

Jinfash said:
Casual SFIV player here, what did he exactly do at 0:26? combos -> FA cancels or regular FADC? why is he flashing if it's the latter? what ever it is, so many of them, so beautiful.

Just looks like EX run's to me, stops them and does them again, just really fast. Could be wrong.

Threi

notag
dipped a little in SRK forums...holy shit.

The tech place is great, but the other forums actually gave me a newfound respect for the average maturity of GAF :lol

FindMyFarms said:
fuck m bison

fuck him hard

On a serious note, getting better at this game is becoming more difficult. I get so mentally exhausted after intense sessions where I really think about every option and making a commitment to improving. Seems like I can go for about two or three hours before just being too tired to play.

Hey, at least you play!! I'll be lucky if I get an hour during a week. And two hours seems like a good chunk of time for practice every day, so you shouldn't feel bad. It's not like you're a professional gamer like a J Wong.

And, personally, I like SRK. But I don't post in the strategy sections. I usually just read them.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Was playing this Boxer today. He has me in the corner in the last round, and I have only a sliver of health left. I'm all like "fuck it, I'm gonna try and ultra a dash punch" since he had been throwing a lot of them at close range. He like cr.lps or something which makes me reflex-ultra, since he's close enough where I can't really ultra on reaction anyway. So dude blocks the first part of my ultra, then stands there and taunts, and before he can do anything he gets tagged with the second part of my ultra ftw.

Bet he feels like a pretty gigantic tard after that.

Spiderjericho said:
Hey, at least you play!! I'll be lucky if I get an hour during a week. And two hours seems like a good chunk of time for practice every day, so you shouldn't feel bad. It's not like you're a professional gamer like a J Wong.

And, personally, I like SRK. But I don't post in the strategy sections. I usually just read them.

It's not every day, more like 2-3 times out of the week. I wonder if Justin Wong was for real when he said he practices 8-10 hours a day before big tournies. That kind of commitment is amazing.

MIMIC

Banned
Lost Fragment said:
Was playing this Boxer today. He has me in the corner in the last round, and I have only a sliver of health left. I'm all like "fuck it, I'm gonna try and ultra a dash punch" since he had been throwing a lot of them at close range. He like cr.lps or something which makes me reflex-ultra, since he's close enough where I can't really ultra on reaction anyway. So dude blocks the first part of my ultra, then stands there and taunts, and before he can do anything he gets tagged with the second part of my ultra ftw.

Bet he feels like a pretty gigantic tard after that.

Who were you?

EDIT: Speaking of "aw, fuck it" Ultras, I did the same thing earlier tonight. I'm actually finding this last ditch plan pretty effective. I was Fuerte playing against Bison. We're in the 3rd round and we're both one special move away from losing.

I then employ my usually effective psychic Ultra bait. What I do is I jump in and as soon as I hit the ground, I immediately start the Ultra. I only use it as a last resort. It usually works because most opponents aren't used to having Fuerte jump in. I think that when Fuerte jumps in, people usually expect him to start running or something, which leads them to throw a fireball or do a normal standing move. But whatever they do, if they don't know that I'm about to Ultra, then they're dead meat.

I jump in, and the Bison immediately does the standing HK. :D GAME OVER.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Xevren said:
Just looks like EX run's to me, stops them and does them again, just really fast. Could be wrong.
D'oh, forgot his ex runs. For a second I thought he combo'd -> FADC so fast I couldn't see a single frame of the move, but ex run :lol makes a LOT more sense.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Recently popped in 3rd Strike for the first time in ages, and me and some work buddies have been having a blast.
It felt really weird after so much IV, but gradually it came back to us. Nice to switch up the change of pace!

It occurred to me though, that I actually love the SFIII cast. Granted, I got into the series late, so it wasn't like I was clamouring to see familiar faces return in IV. But playing IV, I realise now how much of the original cast I just can't get on with.

First of all, I've never really clicked with charge characters, but I love playing around with the likes of Oro, Q and especially Urien. They are such unique designs and have some truly badass setups. However, I find the majority of the 'classic' charge characters pretty dull.

Guile feels pretty boring. Blanka, Honda, and Balrog all just... I dunno, I can't help but find them all downright offensive! Vega and Bison seem cool, but I don't feel the urge to give them a try. The only one I'd be interested in learning is Chun.

I doubt many people will agree, but does anyone feel where I'm coming from? Is it the character design? Is it their faces? Am I not getting some ancient charge move creed? Or maybe it's just that the 3S charge dudes aren't exclusively charge-based...

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
B-Genius said:
I doubt many people will agree, but does anyone feel where I'm coming from? Is it the character design? Is it their faces? Am I not getting some ancient charge move creed? Or maybe it's just that the 3S charge dudes aren't exclusively charge-based...

I dunno. I started playing ryu and then decided that since everyone plays him I'd switch to a charge character. That and I didn't really understand the charge mechanic at all and how to use it. SO I mained blanka how is easy mode charge character then switched to bison.

I like it, but I think I prefer the shoto mechanic of just being able to throw out a move directly. I'm not good with any of them though and taking 12000 or so GP into championship with a green shoto is embarassing :(

For me the main reason to play charge characters is that I always fuck up qcf and the Z-motions. Also Balrog has very good normals which balances the difference between whip-it-out-anytime moves. Although it would be nice that have an oh-shit-break-that-block-string-shoryuken-move:). Rog's headbutt is sometimes good for that, but again you need the charge so you need to time it right instead of mashing it out.

Won

B-Genius said:

Yes, charge characters in this game are terrible and the very definition of boring. Would love to see them removed with Super or drastically changed, but that's not gonna happen of course. :(

Won said:
Yes, charge characters in this game are terrible and the very definition of boring. Would love to see them removed with Super or drastically changed, but that's not gonna happen of course. :(
What is so boring?

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Won said:

The one thing I can think off is chargers and FADC don't play well.

I'd like to see a new command for FADC to help chargers out.

Either that or playable Philip Rivers.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
is it just me or is it getting harder to find decent matches in championship mode?..i played for about 3 hours today and had only one match that had green bars...
*edit* highlight of the night was fighting a guile player who i had beaten about 5 times the entire night who was giving me thumbs up and smile icons in the lobby..last match i drop a combo like a douche and eat an ultra ftl....i send him a message saying 'you got me'..to which he replies 'fuck you asshole'... stay classy xbl...

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Gr1mLock said:
is it just me or is it getting harder to find decent matches in championship mode?..i played for about 3 hours today and had only one match that had green bars...
*edit* highlight of the night was fighting a guile player who i had beaten about 5 times the entire night who was giving me thumbs up and smile icons in the lobby..last match i drop a combo like a douche and eat an ultra ftl....i send him a message saying 'you got me'..to which he replies 'fuck you asshole'... stay classy xbl...

Tekken drew some players away, reducing the playerbase, which reduces the number of potential green bars.

The casuals have largely already left SFIV, and most will only come back for SSFIV, until they owned too hard again.

Played some G1 matches and got even a rage quit. It's always nice to make some quit, especially Sagat players. Sagatr vs Rog isn't the most balanced match-up, but still this guy (GT: Ev1lRuFFy) decided that one round was enough. :D His bio on Xbox.com says: "street fighter 4 top 10 german ladder".:D

Also I was surprised to get some good feedback too. Some guy sent me a complementing message. Lately it's just been hate mail and other stupid comments.

Zissou

I've got a random question about throws which I was wondering if anybody could address:

It was my understanding that command throws always beat regular throws, which along with the fact that they do more damage, would seem to suggest that in high level play, a character with a command throw would have no reason to ever use their normal throw. Yet, whenever I watch videos of top players, I see players like Shiro using Abel and they use regular throws fairly frequently.

One reason I could think of is that it's quicker to tap the two buttons for a regular throw than it is to do a 180/360/whatever motion, but at high level play, I assume that players could input commands quickly enough that the speed difference becomes negligible. The other possibility I thought of was that given that standard throws beat out many normal/special moves, perhaps command throws don't have the exact same properties in this regard, and would lose to a low jab that would otherwise be beaten by a standard throw. Anybody know why?

I was watching the SBO DVD from Arcadia. Justin Wong did a number on that Sagat. He did really well. But then Marn fought a Rufus Mirror. Marn was kicking his opponent's ass and eventually stunned him, and then proceeded to taunt. Then all of a sudden his opponent went into beast mode and won the next two rounds...and also beat Justin afterwards. Holy shit. That taunt must have pissed him off or something :lol

Zissou

Thanks for the answer. That makes sense, though I just thought of something else: what happens when two players attempt to simultaneously air-throw each other? Also, what occurs when two grapplers inputs their command throws simultaneously at point blank?

Leunam

Zissou said:
Thanks for the answer. That makes sense, though I just thought of something else: what happens when two players attempt to simultaneously air-throw each other? Also, what occurs when two grapplers inputs their command throws simultaneously at point blank?

Air throw, not sure, but if two command throws are used at the same time, one will outright beat another. Abels Tornado Throw beats out both Oicho Throw and Spinning Pile Driver.

Zissou said:
I thought I read a few months back that in the event of two simultaneous air throws, the game randomly decides which one beats the other. Could be wrong about that.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
MicVlaD said:
I thought I read a few months back that in the event of two simultaneous air throws, the game randomly decides which one beats the other. Could be wrong about that.

I thought it was whoever was lower- which is why Guile Air Throw > other air throws.

Zissou

Leunam said:
Air throw, not sure, but if two command throws are used at the same time, one will outright beat another. Abels Tornado Throw beats out both Oicho Throw and Spinning Pile Driver.

That's interesting. I guess there's still the possibility in a mirror match of simultaneous activation of the same command throw (one in a thousand shot, but still) which could be weird (probably randomly decided, yeah?)

In the case of air grabs, maybe your height relative to your opponent would factor in or something. It seems to like it'd be tough to test consistently in training mode with a friend, as tiny differences in timing the jumps might affect who beats who. MicVlaD's theory sounds pretty plausible, but again, it seems very difficult this kind of thing with accuracy.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Leunam said:

Air throw range "tiers" goes Guile > Vega > El Fuerte > Chun Li > Cammy.

Zissou

~Devil Trigger~ said:
Air throw range "tiers" goes Guile > Vega > El Fuerte > Chun Li > Cammy.

Does that mean in every situation, Guile's will always beat everyone else's, or does it still allow for differences in height/timing to factor in so that in certain circumstances, other characters' air throws could potentially win?

Zissou said:
Does that mean in every situation, Guile's will always beat everyone else's, or does it still allow for differences in height/timing to factor in so that in certain circumstances, other characters' air throws could potentially win?

In every situation Guile's throw will beat Cammy's. The calculation is probably one of the more straightforward one in all of SF4. There is a throw range number given to all the throw. The bigger your number, the more priority you have.

TimeKillr

Zissou said:
I've got a random question about throws which I was wondering if anybody could address:

It was my understanding that command throws always beat regular throws, which along with the fact that they do more damage, would seem to suggest that in high level play, a character with a command throw would have no reason to ever use their normal throw. Yet, whenever I watch videos of top players, I see players like Shiro using Abel and they use regular throws fairly frequently.

One reason I could think of is that it's quicker to tap the two buttons for a regular throw than it is to do a 180/360/whatever motion, but at high level play, I assume that players could input commands quickly enough that the speed difference becomes negligible. The other possibility I thought of was that given that standard throws beat out many normal/special moves, perhaps command throws don't have the exact same properties in this regard, and would lose to a low jab that would otherwise be beaten by a standard throw. Anybody know why?

Three characters have command throws:

Abel, Zangief and Honda.

Abel's command throw has 2 properties: non EX, it's throw invulnerable. EX, it's hit invulnerable. This means at Abel's non-EX throw beats ALL the other throws in the game, including Gief's Ultra. It also beats Akuma's raging demons (Super and Ultra) as (I believe) they are considered throws. However, ANY throw will beat EX TT as it's only hit-invulnerable but not throw invulnerable. All 4 of his TTs have different range/recovery time: jab is longest range (1.3), longest recovery time(not sure), least damage (140). med is medium range (1.1), med recovery time (not sure), med damage (160). Fierce is shortest range (0.8), shortest recovery time, most damage (180). EX is jab range, fierce recovery, medium damage.

Zangief has a bunch of command throws: punch SPD, kick SPD (close), kick SPD (far), super, ultra. I don't know gief much, but I do know that kick SPD has faster startup than punch SPD. None of these, AFAIK, are throw invulnerable, so they are ALL vulnerable to Abel's TT.

Honda has one (oicho) and the only property is that it's higher damage than a normal throw and can be cancelled from a df+rh.

Now, for all of these characters, their command throws are slower than normal throws. All normal throws in the game have 3 frames of startup, while the command throws are 4 frames or slower. They also take longer to execute because you have to perform a motion, whereas normal throws are just 2 buttons, no motion.

With Abel, at the very least, there is also the fact that you have an easy 50/50 mixup off a normal neutral throw - you can walk forward a tiny bit then do a LK roll, and it's very hard to predict if you'll cross over the opponent or not.

There's also the fact that you can see people like Shiro trying to tech and getting a normal throw instead. :)

So, to recap:

Normal throws are faster, therefore are more suited to certain situations.
Command throws have different properties, but also take more time to execute and are slower in-game.

(This post excludes Fei Long, because his command throw is not a damage throw).

Zabka

TimeKillr said:
Now, for all of these characters, their command throws are slower than normal throws. All normal throws in the game have 3 frames of startup, while the command throws are 4 frames or slower. They also take longer to execute because you have to perform a motion, whereas normal throws are just 2 buttons, no motion.
Spinning piledriver has 2 frame startup, double germans is 1.

Zangief is a dick.

TimeKillr

Zabka said:
Spinning piledriver has 2 frame startup, double germans is 1.

Zangief is a dick.

According to the Wiki, double german is 2 frames also, but this seems off.

And god damn, 2 frame startup on those. Fucking idiotic shit.

TimeKillr said:
Three characters have command throws:

Abel, Zangief and Honda.

Abel's command throw has 2 properties: non EX, it's throw invulnerable. EX, it's hit invulnerable. This means at Abel's non-EX throw beats ALL the other throws in the game, including Gief's Ultra. It also beats Akuma's raging demons (Super and Ultra) as (I believe) they are considered throws. However, ANY throw will beat EX TT as it's only hit-invulnerable but not throw invulnerable. All 4 of his TTs have different range/recovery time: jab is longest range (1.3), longest recovery time(not sure), least damage (140). med is medium range (1.1), med recovery time (not sure), med damage (160). Fierce is shortest range (0.8), shortest recovery time, most damage (180). EX is jab range, fierce recovery, medium damage.

Zangief has a bunch of command throws: punch SPD, kick SPD (close), kick SPD (far), super, ultra. I don't know gief much, but I do know that kick SPD has faster startup than punch SPD. None of these, AFAIK, are throw invulnerable, so they are ALL vulnerable to Abel's TT.

Honda has one (oicho) and the only property is that it's higher damage than a normal throw and can be cancelled from a df+rh.

With Abel, at the very least, there is also the fact that you have an easy 50/50 mixup off a normal neutral throw - you can walk forward a tiny bit then do a LK roll, and it's very hard to predict if you'll cross over the opponent or not.

There's also the fact that you can see people like Shiro trying to tech and getting a normal throw instead. :)

So, to recap:

Normal throws are faster, therefore are more suited to certain situations.
Command throws have different properties, but also take more time to execute and are slower in-game.

I thought Gief's SPD was practical instant with no startup. Sure seems like it at least.

I think the biggest reason not to use command throws is that they are riskier. It's a risk/reward scenario, because if you mess up the recovery on your command throw is usually very long which leaves you open to big combos. Regular throws aren't so vulnerable.

Oh and just to throw another wrench in the mix, there's another set of throws: Air command throws. Those would be Fuert (is it called quesadilla bomb?), Rose (soul throw), and Cammy (hooligan throw), Akuma/Gouken Demon Flip+throw (not so much these two though). These all have some different properties and priorities compared to the normal air throw.

Zabka

TimeKillr said:
According to the Wiki, double german is 2 frames also, but this seems off.

And god damn, 2 frame startup on those. Fucking idiotic shit.
SRK Wiki has it at 2, with one for the powerbomb, eventhubs has 1 with 2 for the powerbomb.

Still nuts.

And once you see the Ultra animation it's 0.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
I'm trying a bit of 3rd strike, and coming from sf4 its really different. How do you hit confirm in 3rd strike? You cant really work anything up from jabs and in videos it looks like you have to go right into ultras from a poke.

Timedog said:
I hope mine RROD's before christmas so I can get a free 60 gig from Best Buy. Any way to accelerate RROD?

Wrap a towel around it for maximum suffocation.

Just have a fire extinguisher handy just in case of a 4 alarm fire.

Steaks

FYI the reason Shiro uses normal throw after a roll is because if it was an ambiguous crossup if he does the motion wrong he'll get a falling sky...

Yeah.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Hitokage said:
Launch a SA during hit stun. Not that complicated.
but how can you tell its safe to do...its like the hitconfirm for ken is cr.s cr.s and you have to input them so quickly, its like I already make my mind up before knowing whether or not they're blocking to do the super. In sf4 i have an optionselect short, a jab, and all the way up to a link to decide how to continue. Even for ken's cr. short -> cr.short XX srk, the cr. short link is plenty of time.

In the daigo vs wong ken/chun match, it looks like they play footsies for a bit and are random ultraing. Obviously they're not, but I can't gauge safety at all in 3s.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
bistromathics said:
but how can you tell its safe to do...its like the hitconfirm for ken is cr.s cr.s and you have to input them so quickly, its like I already make my mind up before knowing whether or not they're blocking to do the super. In sf4 i have an optionselect short, a jab, and all the way up to a link to decide how to continue. Even for ken's cr. short -> cr.short XX srk, the cr. short link is plenty of time.

In the daigo vs wong ken/chun match, it looks like they play footsies for a bit and are random ultraing. Obviously they're not, but I can't gauge safety at all in 3s.

Example, and the most braindead easy one:

Pick Chun and her OP kick super.

Do low forward, then do the super motion without hitting a button. If it hits, press kick again to do super, if it's blocked, whatever. You have all day to input it in.

There's a reason people run away and build meter in 3S more then any other game I've played, and that includes KOF95.

3s in general nothing is safe due to parries. People generally tap fwd or df before every poke to try and get a random parry. This is why when 3S was big, I avoided SF and competitive SF scene. I felt the game was complete garbage that would have tanked worse then KOFXII if SNK had put it out.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
arstal said:
3s in general nothing is safe due to parries. People generally tap fwd or df before every poke to try and get a random parry. This is why when 3S was big, I avoided SF and competitive SF scene. I felt the game was complete garbage that would have tanked worse then KOFXII if SNK had put it out.

I can see the annoyance with that, but it just seems like getting used to using option selects. I know it took me a while to start my combos with them in sf4. The notions of parries is fun and i like the faster atmosphere of 3s, but i really hate the way I play it.

Top Bottom