• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

MIMIC

Banned
I played ranked matches last night (since I couldn't find any other match) and I played a Cammy that did the Hooligan throw at least 20 times each round :lol It was so ridiculous. When I play a regular Cammy, I really don't worry about that move since it's used so sparingly. I really didn't know what to do. lol

The person won in the end when my MP didn't work (gotta get a new controller or fix this one). No matter how hard I mash it, when it doesn't want to work, it won't.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
MIMIC said:
I played ranked matches last night (since I couldn't find any other match) and I played a Cammy that did the Hooligan throw at least 20 times each round :lol It was so ridiculous. When I play a regular Cammy, I really don't worry about that move since it's used so sparingly. I really didn't know what to do. lol

Just crouch and block? Hooligan can't really do anything at that point outside of canceling and doing a throw. Just spamming cLP would knock Cammy out of it too I think.

Watch out for a hooligan following a Cannon Spike though. I almost always catch people with it who tech after a CS knockdown :lol

qcf x2

myDingling said:
Yo, what's Balrog's counterpick? I've given up on the uphill battle for Cammy. Even mediocre balrog's make me eat shit. So is it Sagat or Gief? I'm leaning towards Gief but not sure if the matchup is in his favor.

I'm currently using Fei Long since his qcf + P move is good. With Cammy you should be okay if you have EX. I would think anyone with a knockdown EX would be good.

MIMIC

Banned
Ysiadmihi said:
Just crouch and block? Hooligan can't really do anything at that point outside of canceling and doing a throw. Just spamming cLP would knock Cammy out of it too I think.

Watch out for a hooligan following a Cannon Spike though. I almost always catch people with it who tech after a CS knockdown :lol

Crouching and blocking works? lol...I never knew that.

MIMIC said:
Crouching and blocking works? lol...I never knew that.
Hooligan throw is *almost* useless in SF4 beyond the occasional mixup, the odd full-screen 'over a fireball' ex version or as a meaty against a quick-rise. Other than that, you will get tooled by everyone crouchblocking against cammy 100% of the time since she has no overhead.

TimeKillr

Cromulent_Word said:
Hooligan throw is *almost* useless in SF4 beyond the occasional mixup, the odd full-screen 'over a fireball' ex version or as a meaty against a quick-rise. Other than that, you will get tooled by everyone crouchblocking against cammy 100% of the time since she has no overhead.

You'd think so, but no.

Play against a good Cammy, you'll see Hooligan is actually pretty good despite not grabbing on the ground.

It has HUGE priority over a lot of things, and in certain situations if Cammy knocks you down and you quick-recover her hooligan is guaranteed (because quick-recovery forces you to stand up and she can grab you while you're crouching).

And EX Hooligan works a LOT more than you'd think.

TimeKillr said:
You'd think so, but no.

Play against a good Cammy, you'll see Hooligan is actually pretty good despite not grabbing on the ground.

It has HUGE priority over a lot of things, and in certain situations if Cammy knocks you down and you quick-recover her hooligan is guaranteed (because quick-recovery forces you to stand up and she can grab you while you're crouching).

And EX Hooligan works a LOT more than you'd think.
That's why i said it's almost useless. i mentioned the meaty against the quick-recover, and the ex version over fireballs (or other "surprise" situations).

The best Cammy's (sanford, allen, evildrakefang, aulord, others) dont use hooligan much more than a couple times a match. Or, at least, thats what i saw when trying to learn from them.

Cromulent_Word said:
Other than that, you will get tooled by everyone crouchblocking against cammy 100% of the time since she has no overhead.

Not true at all. If they block then throw, if you expect a throw/throw tech then tk dive kick into fat combo.

Rufus

Teknopathetic said:
For future reference, the thing with the c.lp, c.lp combo is that SF4 will only allow you to cancel into a special move after more than one normal move if the last normal move was linked into. You have to wait until the previous move completely finishes before starting the last. For example, c.lp, c.lp, c.lk xx headbutt, you need to wait until the second c.lp completely finishes before pressing c.lk in order for you to cancel into headbutt.
Good to know, thanks again.
Why does stuff like this have to be so opaque, anyway? I mean, what's gained by not having it in the manual? The way it is now it feels like you're being tricked into going into the deep (possibly shark infested) end of the pool.

I don't think the normals of c.lp, c.lk xx [special] even combo if they're not linked one into the other, which might be why I find it much easier than c.lp, c.lp xx [special]. The precise timing on the latter still is a mystery to me, but knowing what I was doing wrong lessened the frustration at least.

myDingling said:
Yo, what's Balrog's counterpick? I've given up on the uphill battle for Cammy. Even mediocre balrog's make me eat shit. So is it Sagat or Gief? I'm leaning towards Gief but not sure if the matchup is in his favor.

for the life of me can't fight boxers very well. Whenever my opponent picks Rog, I already assumed i lost :lol

:-(

SoulFist

BotoxAgent said:
for the life of me can't fight boxers very well. Whenever my opponent picks Rog, I already assumed i lost :lol

:-(

What really helped me against Balrog, is focus attacks. If you can predict when he's going to go for his dash punch, you can focus attack, but once you land that a couple of times, they will start using their armor breaking moves like, his dash overhead, swing punch, and TAP.

SoulFist said:
What really helped me against Balrog, is focus attacks. If you can predict when he's going to go for his dash punch, you can focus attack, but once you land that a couple of times, they will start using their armor breaking moves like, his dash overhead, swing punch, and TAP.

Once you start making him use his lower priority specials, then you can just cr. mk all of them. Aside from dash punch, his special move all get beaten out by low pokes. TAP is the exception, but the turn around should give it away and you can counter with a special move.

MIMIC said:

The person won in the end when my MP didn't work (gotta get a new controller or fix this one). No matter how hard I mash it, when it doesn't want to work, it won't.
I played a Cammy last week that was like that. Extremely odd. They kept jumping back, then they'd do a LK drill, then resume jumping backwards, then drill...Repeat until they had enough meter for an ex Hooligan. It was so bizarre I almost thought it was a player I'd run into before who was parodying me or something! They kept it up throughout the match. I wonder if they always play like that, and if so do they ever actually win?

Rummy Bunnz said:
I played a Cammy last week that was like that. Extremely odd. They kept jumping back, then they'd do a LK drill, then resume jumping backwards, then drill...Repeat until they had enough meter for an ex Hooligan. It was so bizarre I almost thought it was a player I'd run into before who was parodying me or something! They kept it up throughout the match. I wonder if they always play like that, and if so do they ever actually win?
as a (not very good) cammy player... that sounds both really dumb and really boring.

The sad thing is I dropped a round to them. :( BUT THERE WAS LAG I SWEAR YEAH.

I run into a lot of really dumb and boring players. I think I have bad luck. And I often perform really badly against them. I end up sitting there with my mouth agape wondering what the fuck they're trying to do. And I give them too much credit. Like I figured that guy would have to break out of that pattern eventually, but he never did.

I also kept forgetting to duck to avoid hooligans. I kept jumping instead. This is especially sad since I main Cammy. I was playing Rufus that game, though!

Rummy Bunnz said:
The sad thing is I dropped a round to them. :( BUT THERE WAS LAG I SWEAR YEAH.

I run into a lot of really dumb and boring players. I think I have bad luck. And I often perform really badly against them. I end up sitting there with my mouth agape wondering what the fuck they're trying to do. And I give them too much credit. Like I figured that guy would have to break out of that pattern eventually, but he never did.

I also kept forgetting to duck to avoid hooligans. I kept jumping instead. This is especially sad since I main Cammy. I was playing Rufus that game, though!
i too constantly fall victim to "dropping to their level". When i play the talented bison/zangief/ken guys at the studio, i fare well... then when i play WAY WORSE bison/gief/kens online i end up losing... then yelling and smashing my fists on my couch.

I didn't think it was that funny. I think he gets a lot of slack (probably cause he talks so much ish). That offline Cammy had some sick link combos. Ouch.

Spiderjericho said:
And them Nor Cal dudes seemed mad salty, as they were saying all of that Beast Coast lingo is played out. I think it spices up the match. Watching those Frame-Advantage vids and hearing Yipes say, "Chucking Plasma", "the River Dance", "Scoops", "break out the Morton's". I'd say the East has the best commentators besides Sanchez, Gootecks, Skisonic (not sure where he's from) and Seth. And the Triforce impersonation was spot on. I can't wait until the next big tournament event. It's so hilarious to watch them go at each other. But Norcal seems to be left out of the festivities (Bar Fights II and SB4).
They were right about the lingo. Yipes can be funny, but at the moment his material is getting kinda stale and repetitive for my tastes. I lost count how many times he or his co-host said "SCOOP" during their previous stream. Would much rather hear more from Sanchez, Gootecks or Dogface among others as their commentary usually contains more variety. Chris Hu as well, though admittedly he's also starting to repeat some of his lines nowadays.

Threi

notag
poor dsp :lol

in his defense though fighting cammy is a test of patience. Something about her playstyle really pisses me off. Probably her damn AA :p

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Completely forgot about Battle Arcadia this weekend, but I just saw the Sanford-Rico match, and daaaaammnnn that was a nice Demon setup by Sanford - it was like playing chess - too bad it didn't work out by some strange twist of fate...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=admc0XsWo0w#t=6m20s

I could almost see his look of disappointment when it happened, because that setup was brilliant...

DR2K

Banned
Threi said:

in his defense though fighting cammy is a test of patience. Something about her playstyle really pisses me off. Probably her damn AA :p

Once you realize all her moves are unsafe, has shitty normals, has no cross up(j lk is shit), and properly defend, FA kills her, she'll go down like a stack of cards. Charge characters give her grief for a reason.

Jeez, cammy gets a lot of flak here on GAF.

She's like Rufus but more well rounded, less life though. Easily a B tier character. Gets owned by Rog and Honda hard, but does extremely well against the Trinity.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Threi said:

Cammy does tend to be the most flowcharted character in my eyes- even more then Ken.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
FindMyFarms said:
Jeez, cammy gets a lot of flak here on GAF.

She's like Rufus but more well rounded
, less life though. Easily a B tier character. Gets owned by Rog and Honda hard, but does extremely well against the Trinity.

hmm mmh

-COOLIO- said:

LOL pun not intended, but my statement stands:lol :lol :lol

@Saqs - GG's man! Sorry bout that ragequit at the end after your badass comeback, I got dc'ed and now I can't seem to connect to psn :/

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Cromulent_Word said:
i too constantly fall victim to "dropping to their level". When i play the talented bison/zangief/ken guys at the studio, i fare well... then when i play WAY WORSE bison/gief/kens online i end up losing... then yelling and smashing my fists on my couch.

It's a legit thing- not just in your head. A high-level skill is knowing when to use high-level skills, and when to dumb things down.

In competitive play against absolute top level opponents I have no chance against, I will sometimes try the Damaramu Defense- and try to play so stupidly that they can't compute it- and steal a win. It works more often then it should.

arstal said:
In competitive play against absolute top level opponents I have no chance against, I will sometimes try the Damaramu Defense- and try to play so stupidly that they can't compute it- and steal a win. It works more often then it should.

Plz teach me this skill

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
FindMyFarms said:
Plz teach me this skill

It's about as dignified as Jarate though.

Basically, it's just doing one stupid thing over and over until either you get mudstomped for it, or they think you can't do that again, and get hit by it. It's really effective if you're good at bleeding the clock and shortening rounds. It works best if it's a technique that requires a response, such as walk-up throwing 7 seven straight times.

It only works about 5-10% of the time, so I only use it against people I'd have less thenn 5% shot of beating normally, and only in tournaments since it's about as negative a technique as you can get, and it's no fun to play against.

arstal said:
It's about as dignified as Jarate though.

Basically, it's just doing one stupid thing over and over until either you get mudstomped for it, or they think you can't do that again, and get hit by it. It's really effective if you're good at bleeding the clock and shortening rounds. It works best if it's a technique that requires a response, such as walk-up throwing 7 seven straight times.

It only works about 5-10% of the time, so I only use it against people I'd have less thenn 5% shot of beating normally, and only in tournaments since it's about as negative a technique as you can get, and it's no fun to play against.

How do i do this against a sagat w/ 2 bars.

Top Bottom