• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Nikashi

Banned
So I've switched my main to Abel and I'm doing quite a bit better now. I just need to get into doing his normal and dash cancel into his QCF + P or w/e. I'm getting good at following up Focus Attacks > dash > TT as well. First time I'm really starting to win lots of matchups :)

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Grifter said:
Just got 3rd in a 58 entrant tourney, pot bonus drew a nice turnout. Was expecting to be knocked out early cuz I stopped playing for a while for BB but got into a nice groove and made some comebacks in matches where I would be getting crushed until my elimination round. Think I'll go back to focusing on this before NEC but need to find a new character.

Not playing much made me not break throws at all. Mad at myself for that one.
I think you'd do really well using Viper considering you already use Akuma. She's obviously a different feel but mind games and low stamina are a common thread beween the two.

BotoxAgent said:
wtf with all those 360s and shit being stolen :-/

and Marn has quit SFIV?

and every opponent I played this weekend kept mashing ultra on wakeup, seems like MW2 is taking over

I'm not seeing in that thread about Marn quitting?

Link please.

I was just reading marn's signature and title on SRK, it says Retired from SFIV, see you guys in SSF4.

Or is this another one of those premature retirements, like Sanford? :lol

BotoxAgent said:
I was just reading marn's signature and title on SRK, it says Retired from SFIV, see you guys in SSF4.

I see, they can't stop playing...the game is like crack. Just one more hit, one more and I swear I'll quit.

Grifter

bob_arctor said:
I think you'd do really well using Viper considering you already use Akuma. She's obviously a different feel but mind games and low stamina are a common thread beween the two.
The last thing I need is another character that gets me destroyed when I'm feeling lazy and want to bulldoze forward.:lol Might even switch to Ryu since his option selects are fun and set up ultras and I can die less fast.

Dunno, the character styles aren't really pulling me in. Back to Bison? You still playing?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
BotoxAgent said:

He says in the Viper forum that he's retired from tourney play until Super. Doubt he's gonna quit playing entirely.

LosDaddie said:
So I was at a Dave & Busters (in Jax, FL) this weekend with the family and there were no fighting cabinets at all.

I was hoping to try out my scrubby SFIV skills, but nope :(
You expected to find a fighting game in D&B?! Do you usually see those things there? Cause I don't. Sure they have newish lightgun games, but that's about it over here. Gameworks is the superior eating/arcade place because the ones I have been to at least have a couple fighting games (one in Columbus, OH even has 2 SFIV cabinets).

qcf x2

FindMyFarms said:
I've kinda retired from online play, but I'll throw one more tourney before permanently retiring online until SSF4.

Chickens get chicken winged! ;) j/k

I've retired/un-retired more times than I can count with regards to SF4. It's such a love, hate relationship. Heck my srk tag still says Retired and that's from like May. I just know now that there are certain days when I don't have the patience to put up with the online stuff.

LosDaddie

Banned
sonicspear64 said:
You expected to find a fighting game in D&B?! Do you usually see those things there? Cause I don't. Sure they have newish lightgun games, but that's about it over here. Gameworks is the superior eating/arcade place because the ones I have been to at least have a couple fighting games (one in Columbus, OH even has 2 SFIV cabinets).

I just haven't been to any arcade in YEARS. So, I didn't know what to expect, but was kinda hoping to see an SFIV cabinet. Didn't surprise me though.

qcf x2 said:
Chickens get chicken winged! ;) j/k

I've retired/un-retired more times than I can count with regards to SF4. It's such a love, hate relationship. Heck my srk tag still says Retired and that's from like May. I just know now that there are certain days when I don't have the patience to put up with the online stuff.

That's funny since I'll be using Fei Long :p Let's see who's getting chicken winged then shall we? :lol

But I'm just retiring from online play, not sf4 itself.

Mr Jared

Whether you're attending NorCal Regionals or you plan on joining us via the live stream, feel free to join our Facebook event and bread the word :)

http://bit.ly/1XwdKD

The live stream should go really well.. I think we're just a few stress tests away from getting everything nice and solid. Main commentators so far look like NegroNinja and thxyoutoo, with guests throughout the weekend.

And special guests for finals. Ooh, special.

FindMyFarms said:
That's funny since I'll be using Fei Long :p Let's see who's getting chicken winged then shall we? :lol

But I'm just retiring from online play, not sf4 itself.

So, you have a local scene that is active either in an arcade or at someone's house?

We have a good one here in San Diego, CA called the Box Arena (someone's house I believe). Yeb plays there...I just don't have the time to play and level up with full-time work and school. Hopefully, when school is done next year and SSF4 is out, I'll see if I can get myself in there.

black_vegeta said:
So, you have a local scene that is active either in an arcade or at someone's house?

We have a good one here in San Diego, CA called the Box Arena (someone's house I believe). Yeb plays there...I just don't have the time to play and level up with full-time work and school. Hopefully, when school is done next year and SSF4 is out, I'll see if I can get myself in there.

Yeah, buktooth/jop/EP host gaming sessiong (mainly sf4/t6) at their place once a week here in Dallas, and there's a few othere people that host as well.

We got arcades UFO in Austin and Planet Zero in Houston. Between the big Tx cities, there's a tourney or ranbat going on every week pretty much.

It's not as big a scene as Cali's though, lucky you ;)

BitchTits

What can be done against shoto players who just constantly tap LP whenever they're close, it pisses me off. I just end up going for the cheapest tactics I can because there seems no way to avoid eating the tacked-on shoryuken coming when you try and do anything else.

BitchTits said:
What can be done against shoto players who just constantly tap LP whenever they're close, it pisses me off. I just end up going for the cheapest tactics I can because there seems no way to avoid eating the tacked-on shoryuken coming when you try and do anything else.

You play Bison right? They have to walk forward in order to get in range to cr. lp, hit them with the st. roundhouse when they're walking forward. Easier said than done surprisingly enough, the key is recognition. Once you know they want to do it, looking to punish it will be easier.

And for the new page

FindMyFarms said:
Here we go, my last gaf sf4 tourney!

>>No More Online Heroes<<

Let's get all the GAF big hitters out to make this one hell of a tournament!

BitchTits

FindMyFarms said:
You play Bison right?
I play Gen, Dhalsim, Rose mainly, but dabble with everyone except shotos.

Most of the time I can deal with it one way or another, but it seems to be the catch all thing to do for shotos.

BitchTits said:

Most of the time I can deal with it one way or another, but it seems to be the catch all thing to do for shotos.

Well, you can pretty much replace bison's st. rh with any of those character's good mid range pokes, same strat

qcf x2

FindMyFarms said:
Sorry, I'm only on the PSN side T_T

No chicken for me. Damn, left in the cold! :(

SF4 is all about crouching sk and lp, so if that's what you're referring to, you just gotta know when to poke back and what poke to use. If they are looking for free pokes, you can keep them outside of range, which is what you should be doing with Sim and Rose anyways. As a Rose player, I tend to spam backdash and throw projectiles til I build meter, encourage a jump then dish out a free super/ultra. Also slide--> throw ruins dreams for many shotos.

GGs to HK.

My only advice is watch those lightning legs. I'd get a free roundhouse off of you continuing to mash it out instead of one hit. You do have the ultra setups down pretty good (much to my dismay).

I was using my TE...and UGH. It's such a sobering experience. I have my desktop back up so I'm going to get on Live again (and use the doo doo fightpad).

And Find, I'm in. Ima get peaced out with Dan (very likely).

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Spiderjericho said:
GGs to HK.

My only advice is watch those lightning legs. I'd get a free roundhouse off of you continuing to mash it out instead of one hit. You do have the ultra setups down pretty good (much to my dismay).
A significant portion of those was me stubbornly trying to get a kick counter out like an idiot and then I find myself flailing kicks, but yeah, gotta work on cleaning up my button pressing and remembering about that. :/

Oh, and I whiffed the Ultra outright multiple times.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
BotoxAgent said:
Rose's slide-->throw is so gdlk <3

Farms - I'm in like flynn :)

Good players focus the hell out of that slide. You have to make them respect random soul spiral when they start doing that to set that game up again.

I really need a good Chun to get over my Chun problems right now. It's bad when you fear Chun more then Sagat.

decon

Finally got back to playing this game after a long break. Got back my Sagat "skills" and have started to play Abel!

Is the PSN tourney US only or could a dane join too :)? Wanna test out my Abel!

BitchTits

Don't know about anyone else, but the lag on XBL over the past week has made SF4 a real chore. I know it isn't my connection, I've tested. I've had 4 bar matches that were like 1 bar, and lost more than a few times because of it. Of course, disconnecting bumps up the silly disconnect ratio, so I usually try and muddle through - wiffed dragon punches only being punished with a HP or HK, not daring to attempt a combo or even a throw.

On the subject of disconnecting, does anyone know how that % score works, i.e. how it lowers. My thinking at the moment is that it gives back a percentage point (which isn't an actual percentage of your matches as far as I can tell), when you have won back the amount of BP (in Ranked I'm talking here) that you lost by disconnecting. I don't know if that's accurate, but it's my best guess.

qcf x2

arstal said:
Good players focus the hell out of that slide. You have to make them respect random soul spiral when they start doing that to set that game up again.

I really need a good Chun to get over my Chun problems right now. It's bad when you fear Chun more then Sagat.

Who are you using that is having a tough time against Chun? My strategy is generally make Chun waste EX, keep her away until her meter is gone, force a jump-in (depending on your character's anti-air), etc. Chun Li in close or after I've been knocked down is surpassed only by Zangief in terms of scaring the shit out of me.

TimeKillr

BitchTits said:
Don't know about anyone else, but the lag on XBL over the past week has made SF4 a real chore. I know it isn't my connection, I've tested. I've had 4 bar matches that were like 1 bar, and lost more than a few times because of it. Of course, disconnecting bumps up the silly disconnect ratio, so I usually try and muddle through - wiffed dragon punches only being punished with a HP or HK, not daring to attempt a combo or even a throw.

On the subject of disconnecting, does anyone know how that % score works, i.e. how it lowers. My thinking at the moment is that it gives back a percentage point (which isn't an actual percentage of your matches as far as I can tell), when you have won back the amount of BP (in Ranked I'm talking here) that you lost by disconnecting. I don't know if that's accurate, but it's my best guess.

Heh, the % score is your disconnect percentage.

Meaning that if you play more games without disconnecting, it'll go lower.

If I play 1 game and disconnect, I have 100% disconnect.
If I then play 9 more games, I have 10% disconnect.
If I then play 90 more games, I have 1% disconnect.

See how it works? :) Percentages are a glorious thing! :lol

As far as I'm aware, the percentage always rounds up, so if you disconnect in a single match, you'll have at least 1% forever.

decon said:
Finally got back to playing this game after a long break. Got back my Sagat "skills" and have started to play Abel!

Is the PSN tourney US only or could a dane join too :)? Wanna test out my Abel!

You're welcome to join, though it would be taking place really early in the morning in denmark.

US Central time is gmt -6, so the tourney would be taking place around 5 am (10pm USA central) for you. If you don't mind then feel free to join!

>>The last sf4 psn tourney before Super!<<

BitchTits

Yep, that isn't how this figure works at all it seems. Hence my asking how it works. Say I have 8000 matches, and disconnected twice, I might have a 2% disconnect ratio, but 2 is not 2% of 8000.

When you disconnect once, it goes to 1% then depending on some factor X, if you disconnect again it may go to 2%, or stay on 1% (but will most likely go upto 2% if you disconnect a third time).

The percentage lowers after a certain amount of wins, again, an unknown number, but my best guess is the amount of matches it takes you to gain back the BP you lost from disconnecting.

Stantron

TimeKillr said:
As far as I'm aware, the percentage always rounds up, so if you disconnect in a single match, you'll have at least 1% forever.
Actually, I don't think this is true. I remember reading somewhere on SRK when Championship DLC came out about this, and it mentioned that it rounds down. I've had people disconnect on me, and I'm still 0%.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
qcf x2 said:
Who are you using that is having a tough time against Chun? My strategy is generally make Chun waste EX, keep her away until her meter is gone, force a jump-in (depending on your character's anti-air), etc. Chun Li in close or after I've been knocked down is surpassed only by Zangief in terms of scaring the shit out of me.

My main chars are Honda (where the matchup can be brutal) or Rose. Chun wins both those matchups, I think 6-4 in each. Honda vs Chun is really frustrating if the Chun knows how to runaway.

qcf x2

arstal said:
My main chars are Honda (where the matchup can be brutal) or Rose. Chun wins both those matchups, I think 6-4 in each. Honda vs Chun is really frustrating if the Chun knows how to runaway.

I've played Honda the least out of anybody in the entire game other than Blanka, so I can't speak about that matchup. But for Rose you should be able to zone with spark, and if she jumps and you have Ultra it's pretty much guaranteed since Chun's jump is floaty. Reflecting kikoukens and staying away while spamming spark (and occasional drill)to encourage jump-ins would be my philosophy, as someone who used to main Rose. I would treat her like Gief, lol. Oh, and of course watch for the hazanshou when Chun Li inevitably gets closer. It's her most easily countered move, I think.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Blanka whooped my ass last week (I use 'Rog). I haven't played the game online since. I always punish the CPU, but that MK crossup bullshit was just too affective and I didn't know that the proper way to beat the guy was to turtle when using 'Rog.

So embarrassing.

TofuEater

I got 10-0'd yesterday playing Sagat against a Gouken.

Crazy matches, near the end it was just a throwing match.

Gouken is kind of broken. Crossup on wake? Eat the counter, try anything, eat counter. Pissed me the hell off.

TofuEater said:
I got 10-0'd yesterday playing Sagat against a Gouken.

Crazy matches, near the end it was just a throwing match.

Gouken is kind of broken. Crossup on wake? Eat the counter, try anything, eat counter. Pissed me the hell off.

Well if gouken whiffs counter he loses at least at least 25% life vs. Sagat(if you have ultra, well he dies lol) so punish dat ass!

Top Bottom