• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

qcf x2

How do you avoid Zangief's jumping sk/knee (blocked) into 360 + K grab (and ex)? Using Sakura btw...been a while since I've faced Zangief.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
qcf x2 said:
How do you avoid Zangief's jumping sk/knee (blocked) into 360 + K grab (and ex)? Using Sakura btw...been a while since I've faced Zangief.

Backdash, reversal special (don't think Sak has one of those). Maybe FA the jump-in?

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
qcf x2 said:

maybe dash(have'nt Sakura'ed in a minute), it might work but Gief grabs Fuerte/Abel from running/rolling away, even if you built the space inbetween. n. Jump probably works too.

qcf x2

I'll try the FA but that's asking for a low sk into lariat combo of doom!

Edit: I tried to neutral jump, didn't work, could be the lag. It worked when I had Ken.

Threi

notag
qcf x2 said:
neutral jump doesn't work?

btw FAing a jumpin > grab is a pretty bad idea. You can be grabbed while the attack part is animating.

qcf x2 said:
I'll try the FA but that's asking for a low sk into lariat combo of doom!

Edit: I tried to neutral jump, didn't work, could be the lag. It worked when I had Ken.

Neutral jump works, it was probably the lag. He'll whiff the throw too, meaning you get a phat sakura combo :)

qcf x2

For sure dash didn't work, neither did EX srk. Those are normally my trump cards in such situations. I'll try the dash another time, I ended up just Rose-ing him and not feeling too guilty about it.

Arpharmd B said:
Man, G1 is dead on 360.

My whole friends list, which was built from the ground up of SF4 players, is all MW2. Every. Single. One.

Damn.

How am I supposed to get my fix? I'm starting to withdrawal.
I didn't buy Modern Warfare 2 and I don't mind one bit. In fact, I almost feel delighted about that fact as there's so much to be annoyed about with the Call of Duty franchise in general.

Have been playing Borderlands lately ever since it came out however, along with Halo 3: ODST occassionally instead of Street Fighter IV.

TimeKillr

~Devil Trigger~ said:
pretty much most of the roster.

Abel's "competitive" cuz of his awesome Ultra, and damaging punishments.

Abel only has two good pokes - s.LK and F.MK

Everything else he has is too short range. :( And his longest poke, s.LK, is shorter than Ryu's c.MK, so Ryu beats Abel in the poking department. If you play a good Ryu that has good footsies, you're pretty much dead as Abel unless you have meter (ex CoD is his best anti-poke in those situations).

It's part of why Gief is such a bad matchup for him - s.MP stuffs EVERYTHING Abel has. Every. Single. Move. And he can't AA against well-placed j.MK either. :( So Gief can get in against Abel for free.

Threi

notag
MicVlaD said:
I didn't buy Modern Warfare 2 and I don't mind one bit. In fact, I almost feel delighted about that fact as there's so much to be annoyed about with the Call of Duty franchise in general.

Have been playing Borderlands lately ever since it came out however, along with Halo 3: ODST occassionally instead of Street Fighter IV.
I like how my friends and family go into a state of shock when I say I have no interest in MW2. Its like they can't fathom how that's possible :lol

My combo of doom hasn't changed in a while though: Muramasa: Demon Blade and Street Fighter 4.

Threi said:
I like how my friends and family go into a state of shock when I say I have no interest in MW2. Its like they can't fathom how that's possible :lol

My combo of doom hasn't changed in a while though: Muramasa: Demon Blade and Street Fighter 4.

I'll pick up MW2 this weekend, but it still won't take priority over my "INDEESTRUKTABLE!"

Hell, I have a decent backlog of "AAA" titles that have been put on hold ever since I got SF4. I can imagine when SSF4 comes out...dear Lord, I might as well sell all my games and just keep SF. Shit's like crack!

I play Modern Warfare 2 for the same reason I still play SFIV: there's a large community for it. And it's nice to play a console FPS that runs at 60fps.

AZ Greg

Man, I miss this game. I wish my arcade stick would hurry up and get back to me. :(

Hopefully some of the regulars start to come back by next week when I have my stick back. I bought MW2 but am not really feeling it as much as I thought I would. Not a big fan of the new maps, compared to the original, and I think I got my fill of MW style gameplay with the original. SSF4 can't get here soon enough.

BitchTits

MIMIC said:
I also played a Ken who I thought was cheating. Either that or he was psychic. If ever I gave the slightest hint that I wasn't blocking, I ate a SRK, every single time. And whenever I did block, there was no SRK....not even a SRK FADC. Or maybe it was option select? My knowledge is pretty limited on that strategy. Nonetheless, it felt like I was playing the CPU. -_-
I had a Ken exactly like this today. I put it down to a laggy connection, but yeah it was like he was psychic, everything anticipated, beyond the usual.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I got Modern Warfare 2 the other day, but am still playing fighting games over it. Didn't even play it at all yesterday.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
BitchTits said:
I had a Ken exactly like this today. I put it down to a laggy connection, but yeah it was like he was psychic, everything anticipated, beyond the usual.

When you're playing one of those, you gotta be on point with your baits, and then your punishes.

Spiderjericho said:
Are you entering? Since WCW, GAF hasn't had one of their own to cheer on. And when is it?

Oh yeah, forgot to mention in my reply that GalacticAE, Amodf (he rarely posts here, but he's from dallas and was the other guy that beat magus1234 @ evo) Jon Lo and Fubar (SBO team) and perhaps turtlesnatcher should all be making an appearance.

Also a lot of good players that aren't too known on the national scale such as Jan (mainly known for GG but he ocv'd justin wong's team in SBO quals) and Vegita-x (guy that beat Daigo in team play at sb4.)

FindMyFarms said:
Oh yeah, forgot to mention in my reply that GalacticAE, Amodf (he rarely posts here, but he's from dallas and was the other guy that beat magus1234 @ evo) Jon Lo and Fubar (SBO team) and perhaps turtlesnatcher should all be making an appearance.

Also a lot of good players that aren't too known on the national scale such as Jan (mainly known for GG but he ocv'd justin wong's team in SBO quals) and Vegita-x (guy that beat Daigo in team play at sb4.)

Yo, that's great. Post when it gets close to the date. I don't normally participate in that chat, but I'll represent for you and the GAF on there, SRK and GAF.

MIMIC

Banned
Color me surprised:

1) Akuma and I (Fuerte) trade in the air
2) We both land on our feet
3) I immediately start Ultra while attempts to sweep me
4) After my Ultra start-up animation is over, Akuma starts his Ultra @_@
5) I get killed :lol :lol

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Arpharmd B said:
Man, G1 is dead on 360.

My whole friends list, which was built from the ground up of SF4 players, is all MW2. Every. Single. One.

Damn.

How am I supposed to get my fix? I'm starting to withdrawal.
Shit, least you made it to G1. I quit cold turkey about 2-3 months now and haven't looked back. SSF4 will get me back quick fast though.

Threi

notag
I had another rant typed up about how obtaining this stick killed any enjoyment I had for the game, but I said screw it, might as well laugh it off :lol

I did genuinely think I wouldn't fuck things up today though...and I wind up fucking things up as bad as when I just got the stick. Thank god I had enough sense not to drop $190+ CDN on a TE stick though...i would really be kicking myself now :lol

rise888 said:
Ggs threi. I was saltywet. Your bison tore me up!
Didn't seem that way to me...im pretty sure you beat me soundly most of the matches.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I randomly ran into Arturo in G1 a few nights ago and *barely* beat his Fuerte. I was was all like "fuck yeah...I can barely beat an alt of Sabin's in a single online match :D...rationally I know that a single online match doesn't mean dick, but I'm gonna ignore that and feel good about myself anyway." Then I ran into him again last night and played his Ryu, and he shut me down more than anyone's shut me down in a long time.

Man, living in an area where there isn't a scene sucks :(

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Lost Fragment said:
I randomly ran into Arturo in G1 a few nights ago and *barely* beat his Fuerte. I was was all like "fuck yeah...I can barely beat an alt of Sabin's in a single online match :D...rationally I know that a single online match doesn't mean dick, but I'm gonna ignore that and feel good about myself anyway." Then I ran into him again last night and played his Ryu, and he shut me down more than anyone's shut me down in a long time.

Man, living in an area where there isn't a scene sucks :(

Beating a top 5 US player means something no matter how you did it.

arstal said:

Yes and no.

I've ran into a handful, maybe ten or so, of the top US players here and there. You can always tell, there is a right and wrong way to play this game, they play super safe and smart. It's almost a different game than the typical tactics you run into on a daily basis.

Everytime I play them I wish I could have more time to "level up", but. If you can stand toe to toe and or win a few times, that's definitely good. Give yourself a pat on the back.

However. By that same token don't let it fuel your ego crazy. Casuals are soo much different from tournament or money match. Not to mention Online casuals. And trust me, G1 or SG "Tournaments" is casual play. Maybe you can say to yourself, naw, I can keep my nerves down and handle the pressure IRL... it isn't even about that, it's just such a different beast. Not just in the way people play, but everything. When elimination is on the line, you can't afford to take risks and everyone plays safer and smarter. It can become a game of wills and pressure will lead to mistakes leads to your ass. Out. Better luck next time.

If this post seemed long and wordy it's cause seeing as how online is dead for this game, and I can't be making any trips to my Pittsburgh crew, I'm fucking bored lol.

Speaking of Sabin's Ryu yeah, he's the only dude I saw that can do the jab jab jab to c.HK links online, and he knows how to keep pressure without doing stupid risky shit. Fought him recently and it was a breath of fresh air from the usual cookie cutter garbage Ryu's you fight all day long online.

gutabo

Arpharmd B said:
If you can stand toe to toe and or win a few times, that's definitely good. Give yourself a pat on the back.
I have run into Arturo twice now and I've beaten his Ryu twice using the power of Sumo. First time was a final, second time was a semi so I even took a picture of it. I sent him a message thanking him for his tips and time on his SRK thread but he didn't reply. I'm thankful he didn't use Dhalsim!

But yeah, it's not really that important. It sure felt good tho, pat on the back +1 ;)

I've run into Chris Hu either, but seems like he only plays 5 bar connections, so I'm screwed.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Combofiend destroyed me once online, does that make it better than me? No it doesnt. ;)

qcf x2

Beating a great fighter *online* doesn't mean much. Now if they add you or compliment you afterwards, well, yeah, you're good.

Every time I see a SF4 video, I'm reminded that the game boils down to cr. Jab, cr. SK, and throw. Every single match. Ugh.

Cromulent_Word said:
just saw this vid of Saqs tearing through Ryu in a loser bracket finals pop up on FADC youtube channel. Hits a couple pretty awesome combos.

I love it when anyone beats down a shoto player. Great stuff Saqs.

MIMIC

Banned
I get told all the time by my opponents that I'm the best Fuerte they've ever played. Probably because I'm the only good one of the other 3 :lol

arstal said:

Eh, online plays nothing like offline. I went 5-5 against someone online that usually runs 15-20 straight on me in person.

Not to mention most people are experimenting, sandbagging, and using a char they don't play while just generally not caring.

Also I've seen Buktooth (best fuerte in usa) lose to some absolute scrubs online while barely keeping a %50 win ratio.

It's just different.

Damn, his Elf is all over the place. As Threi said, vicious ass RSF. He could go from one end of the screen to the other.

Good to see these top players use other characters besides their mains.

qcf x2

That Viper was timid as hell against Poongko's Ryu. But man, if I ever face a Fuerte like that I would be ready to cry. So much running! His execution is impressive as ever.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Pm me for the Ryu challenge song.

Well, at least I know there is something else I could beat Justin in. :D He plays pool too but I can safely say he can probably beat me in that.

I need help thinking of combo ideas for Vega. It's like he really doesn't have any. More idealistic is hits, featuring super or ultra and being flashy.

MIMIC

Banned
Is it just me, or are matches SUPER laggy today? I haven't played a single match today that didn't have severe lag.

MW2, maybe? :)

Top Bottom