• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

XenoRaven

Relix said:
Not a problem.

GT: Lord Relix. My sister usually plays with my account but if you see someone on SF4 or any fighting game that's me.

Just learn Crouching Kicks > EX Legs > Ultra and you would do great. I really suck at explaining stuff thought, but you can probably learn from watching how I play and shit like that. I just noticed I sound like if I was the best Chun player :lol I usually rush too much for my own good, I hate turtling. Unless it's a truly serious match... then I try not make many mistakes.

Fuck this I am organizing the second SF4 XBL tournament. Will make the thread soon.
That sounds great as long as you're up for it. Part of the reason I'm posting here is to look for some good players to play with other than my two friends who practice more than me. I played online a bit and the competition was...pathetic. The other part is because my work allows me to be on the computer and I get bored. >_>

Anyway, Cr. lk > Ex Legs > Ultra is easy. I just need to work on some of my tactics, and I need to learn priority on some of my pokes. For example, I need to find a way to punish my friends' Balrog rush-ins. I know I can FA the "kick" one, but the straight jab is armor breaking. I need to memorize, and practice some combos too. I struggle with execution on some of them.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
XenoRaven said:
Anyway, Cr. lk > Ex Legs > Ultra is easy. I just need to work on some of my tactics, and I need to learn priority on some of my pokes. For example, I need to find a way to punish my friends' Balrog rush-ins. I know I can FA the "kick" one, but the straight jab is armor breaking. I need to memorize, and practice some combos too. I struggle with execution on some of them.

balrog. Hard match up, but fun.

Balrog can't do a thing to you if he rushes in, you have a good distance and it's not an EX Attack. The forward Fierce Punch will stop most of Balrog's rushdown attacks. It could trade hits so you need to learn the best distance. Constant FA will drive a Balrog crazy. When he stands up you can do then D+F>Heavy Kick which does the jump arc around Balrog. Kills his charge, and is safe from headbutt if you time the attack. You can also do Hazanshu when they are crouching. Don't do the long one because it can be predicted. The light or medium variations work better up close.

The Ultra won't juggle Balrog. It will hit but not launch.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
XenoRaven said:
If Balrog comes in with a non-EX punch you can st MP or st HP it. If it's EX and he didn't pass through a kikouken then you need to (standing) ultra or get out of the way.

Speaking of Hazanshu, the MK Hazanshu doesn't have frame disadvantage on block while LK and HK versions do.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Hitokage said:
If Balrog comes in with a non-EX punch you can st MP or st HP it. If it's EX and he didn't pass through a kikouken then you need to (standing) ultra or get out of the way.

LULZ I beat you! Haha!

I don't like standing MP, I prefer to go for a bigger damage though it;s quite risky. If you wanna go for safe that's a better bet though

XenoRaven

I'll have to try that then. I had tried cr. HK, but it got stuffed a lot, or I would trade hits which Chun Li can't do with Balrog and expect to win. Maybe it could work and my timing is off. Either way, I knew there had to be a way to stop his rushes other than just spamming fireballs.

XenoRaven said:
I'll have to try that then. I had tried cr. HK, but it got stuffed a lot, or I would trade hits which Chun Li can't do with Balrog and expect to win. Maybe it could work and my timing is off. Either way, I knew there had to be a way to stop his rushes other than just spamming fireballs.

That's the basic idea w/ chun vs. rog. You want a LP fb on screen at all times. If he taps, you can just cr. rh, if he does any ex, he'll have absorbed a hit already and you can cr. rh that too. Otherwise, the recovery lets you block the attack. He's in, but it cost him a bar.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Hah, just discovered that if you space Chun's df HK correctly, you can do df HK > ex Hyaku > Ultra and get 541 damage.

Edit: Timed it better and got 550.

Edit 2: Wha, fooling around with it more while not really paying attention and now I have Max Damage 588 on my screen.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I love doing combos, whether you can perform them in a real match or not. :D

I think I went a little overboard with my latest Ryu. I'll upload it later when I'm not faxing a billion papers.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
i just got my modded TE back from akuma001 and it works great. How does ps3-sf4-gaf do matches? I don't really know how the chat stuff works on psn. My psn id is 'bistromathics'.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
bistromathics said:
i just got my modded TE back from akuma001 and it works great. How does ps3-sf4-gaf do matches? I don't really know how the chat stuff works on psn. My psn id is 'bistromathics'.
I'll invite you, then you can join whenever.
Mr Jared said:
Ok. Now hit confirm that ;D
Pump LK+MK, LK+MK before hit, KKK after.

Edit: Nevermind, I see what's going on now. Spacing possibly makes the link easier but it's still a link.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
So I bought a Tournament Stick this week. I've never played on stick before, just the Fightpad. I'm a pretty n00b player, but I have so much fun with the game so I had to get the stick (at a good price, $90 new!) to get a more fun experience from the game.

I heard it's frustrating at first to learn how to play stick, any tips or anything that I should know while learning to play with the stick? Looking forward to "learning" the game all over again. I main Sagat. :D

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Adam Prime said:
I heard it's frustrating at first to learn how to play stick, any tips or anything that I should know while learning to play with the stick? Looking forward to "learning" the game all over again. I main Sagat. :D
Keep in mind you're not just learning SF4 over, you're relearning general fighting game input from scratch just as much any other kind of game. It's probably not going to come quickly or easily, but keep at it and remember you had a decade or two to get good as you are with a pad.

XenoRaven

Hitokage said:
Keep in mind you're not just learning SF4 over, you're relearning general fighting game input from scratch just as much any other kind of game. It's probably not going to come quickly or easily, but keep at it and remember you had a decade or two to get good as you are with a pad.
Well said. I limited myself to only charge characters when I first got my stick because half the time I tried to do a fireball motion it came out as a dragon punch motion and vice versa. It's probably the biggest reason Chun-Li is my main now. It's a whole new way of controlling a game and it might get frustrating sometimes. Stick with it. It eventually pays off.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Adam Prime said:
So I bought a Tournament Stick this week. I've never played on stick before, just the Fightpad. I'm a pretty n00b player, but I have so much fun with the game so I had to get the stick (at a good price, $90 new!) to get a more fun experience from the game.

where did you get that?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I don't think I've ever played a game as much as this one..and I used to play through all of F-Zero on SNES as a kid like every week. Every time I finish 'learning' a character I start a new one right after and play like 500 matches online with them. Started with Cammy, saw a Saber video and learned Sakura. Got decent with her, saw a Desora video with Gouken and immediately picked him up. Just saw Saqs video and bang I'm learning Rose. I like to play non-popular characters since it's infinitely more fun to beat people online with them.

Also I'm surprised how playing those characters has upped my general skills. I've never played Ryu or Ken nor do I really play any characters that have Shoryu->FADC->Ultra setups (I never did it with Gouken) so I've never really done it outside once or twice in the normal trials. Yesterday for fun I pick Ryu and I can do Shoryu->FADC->Ultra about 99% of the time..without ever having practiced it. Was really strange.

I cannot wait for Super since Dee Jay looks like my kind of character. Quick and a juggler.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
worldrevolution said:
Also I'm surprised how playing those characters has upped my general skills.

Yep. I went straight to matches and just regular training and doing stuff from the top of my own head with ideas from others. I eventually hit the trials and realize how easy and easier things were. Playing with people will help your execution more than anything, especially against better players.

Now I can do stuff like this, my latest Ryu combo video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8BfS66tG-o&fmt=22

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
AZ Greg's Vega is the most irritating thing ever :lol

Trying to counter that f+mk or whatever it is he uses to get in and throw with something other than a tech is fucking hard online.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
MiniBossBattle: Sorry about that, man. I wasn't trying to insult you there. I just usually like scrubbing it up on purpose in the first couple matches to get the tension out and also gauge what kind of player I'm dealing with. (In this case I completely forgot you were new to fighting games.)

If you need advice I'll be glad to help.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
TofuEater said:
Nice!

How are you pushing the buttons for the combo? I always try to do some combos but during the 3rd or 4th hit they always get blocked, execution is a split second off or something. Are you looking at anything on the screen to tell you when to push the next button or is there a trick im missing.

I have the pad on my lap and basically "playing" it like a piano. Most of the stuff comes from the top of my head. Some of them takes a lot of practice before I get it down but I find out doing it step by step helps. Also, here are some more done by me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZkB_zu0pfc&fmt=22

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AraSjNtLt9A&fmt=22

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLnlLo_9zEM&fmt=22

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFzsMVZFP1o&fmt=22

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWSDVk0MyhI&fmt=22

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O61tCyTM4Z4&fmt=22

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihgNoLE6Qe8&fmt=22

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88_1JPuPBtg&fmt=22

AZ Greg

Lost Fragment said:
AZ Greg's Vega is the most irritating thing ever :lol

Trying to counter that f+mk or whatever it is he uses to get in and throw with something other than a tech is fucking hard online.

I've never crunched the frame numbers or any of that, but I think with the frame advantage it gives me on block, other than a few characters with quick jabs, there isn't anything you can do but tech the throw. Or a reversal of course, but that's 50/50 based on me going for the throw and not just blocking after the DF+HK or back flipping.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
lk burning kick beats throw, is safe on block, and you recover quickly enough from it to be able to punish backflip (I think). But our session last night was a smidge input laggy, so half the time when I'd try to lk burning kick after df+hk I'd just get thrown instead, so it ended up just being safer to tech the throw and end up right back in the perfect position for you to trap me with those pokes and stuff Viper doesn't deal with too well.

Nemesis121 said:
The PC version is trash.....even when it's all green still not great......I have PC, friend has XBlive, it plays so much smoother there.
PC port is smoother if the PC of both players can handle the settings they selected.

Grifter

About to hit G1 on 360, do fight requests get slower?

MIMIC said:
Oh yeah, Grifter. GG.

Just one match? C'mon, now. You know I want to play again :)

Sorry, more tonight? Wife had just come home. We had some funny pauses going tho, will try to catch you after prime time.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
G1's been relatively bare for me for the past few weeks. I have enough people on my friends list who are better than most people I run into in G1, so I've been playing mostly player matches with friends recently.

haunts said:
I stopped playing once I hit G1. Takes entirely too long to find a match.

But you're blessed, as you can find a match locally and have a good competitive scene. You're probably better than most of the G1 bubbas.

I'm hyped for NorCal Regional.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Grifter said:
Too bad, and I can't reset my "experience," I take it?

Soooo...which GAFfers are around the NE region? :D

I'm in Louisville, but the times we've played we've had a pretty good 4-bar connection, so add papertiger80 if you like. Your Akuma is leagues above any of the other Akumas I've fought, so I'd love to get back at you again.

V_Arnold

TurtleSnatcher, is it possible that I just played against you?

Thank you, and good games (name: Oldern, opponents is Snatcher22 or something that), and you have to forgive me for being kinda rusty, I have been playing with this new arcade stick (used pad before) for like a week now, and it still does not feel THAT natural...was missing stuff like c.MK->mTK,etc....

Anyway, we should play again, if it was you! :D

Top Bottom