• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Zapages

hikarutilmitt said:
I'm on my 360 at the moment, but give me a minute and I'll switch over. ;)

Great matches man... :)

Your Sakura is great. The only thing is that your need to watch out for cross overs. That was your only weakness aside from that you were solid. :) Also you should try for more head stumps with M. Bison (Dictator)... :)

How were my Ryu, Abel and Rose...

Night man. :)

I'm ashamed to admit that crossups for some reason have been one of my biggest weaknesses since SF2 was around, haha. It's something I've known and have tried to work through my head but for some reason I wasn't able to deal with for any reason. BUT! Tonight while playing I was paying a lot of attention to the positioning when you jumped, so I could see WHEN you were going to crossup, I just wasn't able to process it in enough time to block correctly. :lol

Your Ryu is scary good. Abel is one of my weaker characters and Rose... I just dunno. I don't see a lot of Rose players, and you were definitely hitting me with her Ultra at the right time. I still play her like SFA2 which just doesn't work here, heh.

Definitely GGs, though. I look forward to more matches. I plan on leveling up my Sakura, too. ;)

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
tried to get on XBL just now but apparently my disc drive isn't working anymore. My Best Buy warranty is up in a couple weeks, time to get a new 360!

ciD_Vain

akilshohen said:
Random:
After having the game since the first day it came out, I unlocked Seth. Watching the benchmark had me hyped!! El Fuerte at the end of story mode with Seth was a breeze. :lol :lol
I've had the game since day 1 too but have yet to unlock Seth. Is it true that for Super Street Fighter IV all the characters are already unlocked?

haunts

Bacon of Hope
ciD_Vain said:
I've had the game since day 1 too but have yet to unlock Seth. Is it true that for Super Street Fighter IV all the characters are already unlocked?

yes, thank god. im so happy when i boot up tekken on any system and all the characters are there already.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
ciD_Vain said:
I never unlocked Seth too. :lol

Steaks

Just got back from NEC.

I feel kinda bad for the guy who had to put up with the stick bullshit and I still beat. I was 1 game up, 1 round up, my stick hit pause at round 3 - fight and I was told I had to give up the round, then the stick did it AGAIN next game and it was game point for him even though he only actually won one round :( He pulled some petty shit on the first attempt to disqualify me though.

Managed to get Marn in losers and Philly One in winners... I played 3 games. Random brackets give you bad days sometimes.

My team was skisonic/myself/ds and we got disqualified after skisonic ocving a team and marn ocving us. So I went 1-2 in that as well.

Did commentary for teams on the stream for a couple? of hours or so, if you caught me, I was doing some commentary with ski for a bit then ski got off and it was me and seb.

Good shit Kensk! Get em next time.

I missed the stream, who took the NEC individual tourney?

Justin, Marn, Camford/Danford/Akumford/Ryford/Vipford/Sagford?

n3ss

aka acr0nym
black_vegeta said:
I did just for the achievement. :lol

Haha, I was just too lazy honestly. I had to unlock him several times for SFIV related events that I just didn't care since I'd never use him.

Absolute Battle Results:

TotalToanage vs. Fanatiq Rematch
Fanatiq 15-14 Toan

Street Fighter IV (Singles)
1. Buktooth (EL/RY)
2. FindMyFarms (BA)
3. Jan (ZA)
4. ddr_gakusei (Vietnamazing) (CA)
5. Jewelman (HO)
5. Vegita-X

Tekken 6
1. Devil Jim
2. jra6
3. JOP
4. foxstep
5. KFC
5. Nori

Street Fighter IV (Teams)
1. Team Buktooth (EL), ddr_gakuseii (Vietnamazing) (CA), demenion (BL)
2. Team Binhlol (SA), Dest556 (BA), yungb254 (GI)

BlazBlue
1. Binhlol
2. Jan
3. Chase
4. Retekin

HDRemix
1. Buktooth
2. demenion
3. King
4. Retekin
5. JW
5. Ivan

Third Strike (Singles)
1. JD
2. Buktooth
3. Yuuki
4. Binh
5. Alex
5. David

Absolute Battle Results.

Grats again to FindMyFarms.

Absolute Battle tourney was great, thanks for all the love guys.

I had Viper along with Ryu loaded and ready to go, but I ended up sticking with Balrog through the whole tourney. I'll post vids when they get uploaded. All my matches in the top 8 were extremely close and came down to the wire every time. Only exception was with Buktooth in the grandfinals. I took care of him in the first set, but in the second set, he adjusted and straight up out played me.

Steaks

Teknopathetic said:
Good effort anyway, kensk.
Haha whatever, I do terribly every NEC then proceed to get like 9th place at every regional. Shit happens. Oh yeah I actually beat Marns viper a couple times in casuals on friday, then he beat me with Ryu :lol Played Jibbo as well after he wiped the floor with Flash on friday as well and did pretty damn well but I choked on a couple of anti air uppercuts.

FindMyFarms said:
Absolute Battle tourney was great, thanks for all the love guys.

I had Viper along with Ryu loaded and ready to go, but I ended up sticking with Balrog through the whole tourney. I'll post vids when they get uploaded. All my matches in the top 8 were extremely close and came down to the wire every time. Only exception was with Buktooth in the grandfinals. I took care of him in the first set, but in the second set, he adjusted and straight up out played me.
When did he switch over to Ryu.. He seems to always do that since you know his Fuerte well with Boxer.

TurtleSnatcher said:
When did he switch over to Ryu.. He seems to always do that since you know his Fuerte well with Boxer.

He played Fuerte for one match then said fuck this :lol :lol

It feels good as hell though seeing him dominate all the out of towners that have no idea how to fight fuerte lol.

Yea I was even taking out Jans bro with ease the ngiht before.. They have no idea.

They actaully were asking around on how to fight Fuertes and wanted to continue since they knew Buk would be a problem.

Oh and Shizza is the new SF4 idol.

Fucking pad warrior taking out big So Cal names rocks.

TurtleSnatcher said:
Yea I was even taking out Jans bro with ease the ngiht before.. They have no idea.

They actaully were asking around on how to fight Fuertes and wanted to continue since they knew Buk would be a problem.

Oh and Shizza is the new SF4 idol.

Fucking pad warrior taking out big So Cal names rocks.

With "random" ultra's, let Gootecks tell it. Gootecks was mad salty after that loss. :lol

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
TurtleSnatcher said:
And he only started professionally really getting into it back in April lol..

Must make the others feel like shit.

that's good for the community though. it means people new to the pro scene can still compete, and with a pad too.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
black_vegeta said:
With "random" ultra's, let Gootecks tell it. Gootecks was mad salty after that loss. :lol

i usually don't indulge in this type talk but you're totally right..and what made matters worse is that he'd get a decent life lead by being aggressive, but then he just hang back and try to turtle it out...i couldn't quite figure out what i was watching...so offensive play was good enough to put you up fifty percent but its not good enough to win?..against a low stamina character at that?..he deserved the loss just on principle

ArjanN

Gr1mLock said:
i usually don't indulge in this type talk but you're totally right..and what made matters worse is that he'd get a decent life lead by being aggressive, but then he just hang back and try to turtle it out...i couldn't quite figure out what i was watching...so offensive play was good enough to put you up fifty percent but its not good enough to win?..against a low stamina character at that?..he deserved the loss just on principle

Pretty good strategy for Chun since she is good defensively.

If you're going to be offensive all the time people will get wise and you're just going to eat SRK/Ultra/Whatever.

Ledsen

ArjanN said:
Pretty good strategy for Chun since she is good defensively.

If you're going to be offensive all the time people will get wise and you're just going to eat SRK/Ultra/Whatever.

Yeah it is a good Chun strategy, and not only Chun... sitting on your life lead and letting the opponent come to you is a valid tactic since going balls out on offense exposes you unnecessarily. Its basic risk\reward really.

edit: lol i just realized I basically repeated your post using different words :lol

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
of course its a valid strategy..its just that he was scoring when he was offensive..and totally loosing when he was defensive..it wasn't like he'd hang back a little..he literally got the other guy down by 50 in a matter of a few seconds..then go to total turtling mode and loose

Pad warriors FTW.

I always say if you can execute it doesn't matter what you are using. That said, at our recent gathering down here I jumped right on a dudes TE stick and it was like second nature. No learning curve. It's automatic.

Whereas on my crappy EX2 I can't do shit cept play shmups on it. Quality really makes a difference especially for people who are just jumping into a totally foreign controller. I can't even do ultras on the damn thing lol (EX snake strike comes out EVERY SINGLE TIME) whereas on the TE I was 99% off an FADC.

Those quality buttons really make a difference.

I'll be picking up a TE in a few weeks. And before someone says, hey Arpharmd, why not just mod the EX2 with good parts... well, I played on a dudes modded HRAP and while the buttons and stick were quality, the thing isn't heavy enough to stay planted. I'd be in the middle of a match and when I tried to block I'd start jumping, cause the stick moves around and I'm not solid enough to compensate. I need that fucker hard bolted into a flat surface right now. Same thing happens with those DDR mats. I'll be jumping around and before I know it the damn pad is sideways and I'm losing badly :lol

Find is my hero. I can't wait to see the videos.

Also, Flash Metroid is that dude. He just needs a secondary character to deal with matchup shenanigans.

JWong...I thought he lost a step when he lost that one match to Marn during the team tournament, but he's still the best player in the U.S.

Arph, use what you feel is comfortable. I don't have that laser knife precision with a Japanese style stick but give me a Fightpad or Saturn, and I'll beast. I'm trying to stick to using the TE, as I like the button layout versus pad. But Pad Viper from SB4 and Shizza are both using pad and winning. Just make sure to have a pad for each system though.

And Gootecks was rolling his eyes at Shizza using the pad. Probably why he got bodied, as he underestimated him.

Spiderjericho said:
And Gootecks was rolling his eyes at Shizza using the pad. Probably why he got bodied, as he underestimated him.

This whole stick vs. pad thing is so childish. The controllers people use are just tools. It's what you do with them that counts. And Shizza just has that natural talent for fighters it seems. Beating a seasoned veteran like that.

qcf x2

Gr1mLock said:

I don't believe there is a defined "right way" to play Street Fighter 4. He has his style, it's different from what you'd expect, that doesn't mean it's bad. Better than watching attack of the clones, that's for sure. So often I feel like I've seen one person use (insert popular SF4 character), I've seen 'em all.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I can practically do anything with a six button pad but a stick, eeh no. I really want to get to that point though.

LowParry

black_vegeta said:
Fuck Shotos and their srk's, go with a charge character.

I rolled with Boxer when the game came out. :lol I could go back to Dictator. And I play more of a footies game with shotos.

qcf x2

Spiderjericho said:

I get a way worse vibe from hearing/reading Gootecks than seeing JWong's antics between matches. Ugh.

CcrooK said:
So with a lot of Ken experience down, I'm ready to move up to the next level. Should I roll with Ryu or Akuma?

Go the momochi route and do both. There are some matchups where you'll prefer one over the other.

CcrooK said:
I rolled with Boxer when the game came out. :lol I could go back to Dictator. And I play more of a footies game with shotos.
I was always a big RYU and Ken fan but since I got SF4 back and started using Boxer I now hate them..:lol :lol fuckin' Hadokens

Top Bottom