• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
A dog and a turtle. This is the year of the ox so I don't know what the hell is going on.

I can be commentary^

LowParry

TurtleSnatcher said:
He's terribad =[

Who cares. He's my secondary while I fish around for a main. Vega's a fun character to poke people with. I find them more frustrated than I. Just have to do a bit more work to get the kill. His Ultra is quite good because a lot of people expect the d, u motions he makes.

CcrooK said:
Who cares. He's my secondary while I fish around for a main. Vega's a fun character to poke people with. I find them more frustrated than I. Just have to do a bit more work to get the kill. His Ultra is quite good because a lot of people expect the d, u motions he makes.
Ask AZ Greg, he has a vicious ass Vega with tons of shenanigans.

So GAF, per SRK, what was match of the year for you guys?

I think Iyo vs Daigo at the Gamestop Nationals was pretty memorable

I also like Alex Valle vs Sabre (showing the powah of console characters)

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I'll do a first to 10 after my finals this week. Someone should do commentary, and we can't post anything about the results until commentary is done and the videos are up on youtube.

I'll test my fightpad and see if I'm better on broken pad or functional arcade stick.

BotoxAgent said:

Cali block SBO qualifiers, Combofiend come back from a sliver of life against Ken I in grand finals, last match last game.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Yeb's double perfect against Magus. At that high of a play level, it shouldn't be possible. All Magus needed was one trade off or chip damage but Yeb and his deadly fingertips prevented all that. Thanks to that match and bunch of others, Yeb also made Gen popular.

BotoxAgent said:

norcal vs. east coast at evo

crackfiend was craaaazzzyyy
edit: or at least i think it was east coast, correct me if i'm wrong

Threi

notag
TurtleSnatcher said:
He's terribad =[
Not if you don't know the shenanigans. Damn AZ Greg. Always winds up "oh right he always throws there- oh right that crosses up- oh right gotta dash this way *dead*"

*edit* on the TurtleSnatcher vs Timedog fight of doom: Having played both, I expect ragequits and hatemail.

:)

Threi said:
Not if you don't know the shenanigans. Damn AZ Greg. Always winds up "oh right he always throws there- oh right that crosses up- oh right gotta dash this way *dead*"

*edit* on the TurtleSnatcher vs Timedog fight of doom: Having played both, I expect ragequits and hatemail.

:)
I dont recall ever sending hatemail or rage quitting you lol.

Im up for the first to 10.

Oh and Vega still sucks.

I think I'm just selling my Tournament Edition stick, I cannot fucking play with it. I haven't won one match since I purchased it. I whiff moves I just shouldn't and don't whiff with my controller. It's infuriating. I've tried the d-pad option, the left analog stick option, both seem the same.

Normally I buffer my charge attacks in others, so I'm not just turtling an entire round but for the sake of experimenting I just started walking backwards and tried to do an EX hori roll through a fireball and almost every time Blanka does the ducking move. I don't understand how holding back and then tapping forward with 3x punch somehow translates into down 3x punch.

I just got clowned by a Dan and had my first genuine ragequit in Street Fighter 4.

BotoxAgent said:

J.Wong vs Daigo Evo Grand Finals is the match of forever.

Also Mike Ross' super comeback at SBO qualifiers deserves a mention.

DryEyeRelief said:
J.Wong vs Daigo Evo Grand Finals is the match of forever.

Also Mike Ross' super comeback at SBO qualifiers deserves a mention.

Yeah Cali block SBO quals had a lot of exciting moments. I remember a lot of UTJ matches being hype as well. I believe that's the tourney where he made a name for himself.

jaundicejuice said:
I think I'm just selling my Tournament Edition stick, I cannot fucking play with it. I haven't won one match since I purchased it. I whiff moves I just shouldn't and don't whiff with my controller. It's infuriating. I've tried the d-pad option, the left analog stick option, both seem the same.

Normally I buffer my charge attacks in others, so I'm not just turtling an entire round but for the sake of experimenting I just started walking backwards and tried to do an EX hori roll through a fireball and almost every time Blanka does the ducking move. I don't understand how holding back and then tapping forward with 3x punch somehow translates into down 3x punch.

I just got clowned by a Dan and had my first genuine ragequit in Street Fighter 4.
Yea dont keep raging and going back to pad. I had that issue before but now I've been holding fairly firm.

Teknopathetic said:
Play with it instead of raging and going back to pad when you lose.

I've played nearly 40 or 50 matches with this stick, lost every one of them, I haven't switched back to using a controller since purchasing this thing and this is the first time I've ever raged in this game. I wanted to throw the damned thing against a wall.

jaundicejuice said:
I've played nearly 40 or 50 matches with this stick, lost every one of them, I haven't switched back to using a controller since purchasing this thing and this is the first time I've ever raged in this game. I wanted to throw the damned thing against a wall.
Make up some drills in training mode and just do them nonstop. Thats what i do.

jaundicejuice said:

You'll typically start seeing results after about 1000 matches, so just keep chuggin away.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
jaundicejuice said:

It's going to take awhile to adjust. Be a little more patient.

Threi

notag
jaundicejuice said:
I'm in the same boat as you with a stick that isn't as good as a TE, but you might as well stick with it now that you have it. I am starting to think the pressure to get a stick with fighting games is unnecessary, people should just play with what they are comfy with and stop forcing themselves to learn new control schemes based on what others are used to. Unless you can physically feel the limitation of using a pad, there shouldn't really be a reason to go out and drop $150 on a stick.

But yeah might as well just take the losses and continue learning it. It's bullshit I agree, but hey it must be so expensive for a reason.

I just need to lose the suck before Super lands.

Edit: I would like to clarify that I grew up playing fighting games in arcades, wiling away hours of my youth playing games like Samurai Shodown II, World Heroes, Street Fighter II, and almost every arcade release in the 90's. I'm no stranger to using an arcade stick. It's just frustrating that I can't seem to use the one I purchased and I've been using it for a while now.

I had managed to scrabble my way to .500, now I'm just doing incredibad.

"I've played nearly 40 or 50 matches with this stick, lost every one of them, I haven't switched back to using a controller since purchasing this thing and this is the first time I've ever raged in this game. I wanted to throw the damned thing against a wall."

It's *definitely* not going to happen in 40-50 matches, man.

Took me months before I noticed I was (relatively) comfortable. Took quite a few more months after that before I'd say my execution got "mediocre" and I actually did what I wanted to do consistently and without having "I might fuck this up" in the back of my mind.

Lots of practice mode. Lots of it.

"It's just frustrating that I can't seem to use the one I purchased and I've been using it for a while now."

I'd say the above still applies even if you're used to American sticks.

XenoRaven

Teknopathetic said:
Lots of practice mode. Lots of it.
This is the best way to say it. I figured it out myself not too long ago.

Watch high level players, read various strategy guides, get advice, and then go into practice mode and learn some combos. Start with the easier stuff first and work at it until you really nail the execution. Then move on to the next one. That's what I've started doing. Though frankly I haven't been doing it as frequently as I told myself I would. Stupid end of the year release schedule. I blame Infinity Ward and BioWare. >_>

FindMyFarms said:
Yeah Cali block SBO quals had a lot of exciting moments. I remember a lot of UTJ matches being hype as well. I believe that's the tourney where he made a name for himself.

yeah, lots of oh shit moments during those matches, including the Ed Ma demon setup :lol

and I still have to unlock seth, I'm determined to get that shit over with this week.

Turtle Snatcher vs. Timedog. "You not scared, I not scared."

GAF's first bar fight.

And I thought the J.Wong vs. Daigo from SB4 was great. To be honest, any of the matches they had was match of the year.

Andre vs. Daigo. Yeb's run during West Coast Warzone. There were many good moments.

I know, I know. I need...

iverson.jpg

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Jumped back on yesterday after a couple of months. I was horrible before; I'm down right gawbage now. :/
I just can't put the time in so I can't level up my game faster than I could be I guess. I don't mind loosing though cause I like to think that I learn from my mistakes. :D

I still love this game though, my most online played game of this generation.

Dizzy-4U

Goddamit! I've been searching for a match on PSN for like 40 minutes. All of the players have 1 bar connection (and grandpa Fersis is already sleeping). It's so frustrating to live so far away from the rest of the world =/.

vocab

Dizzy-4U said:
Goddamit! I've been searching for a match on PSN for like 40 minutes. All of the players have 1 bar connection (and grandpa Fersis is already sleeping). It's so frustrating to live so far away from the rest of the world =/.

Matchmaking, and other modes that split the community. Woohoo. I feel SSFIV is gonna be the same shit :(

If it makes you feel any better I was playing with a friend, we live in the same city and we keep getting dropped from our games. I had fun when I was able to complete matches but we couldn't string together more than two or three games before getting disconnected.

Dizzy-4U

You know what Capcom? For a game helding the title "The World Warrior", you've done a pretty shitty job with it. Instead of all those lame icons, why didn't you put a goddam country flag, or better yet, instead of the lenguage priority, why don't you just let me search by continent? You know, there are like three continents that speak spanish so your search function is bullshit.[/rant]

Sorry about that, I'm kinda mad at the moment.

I just had an awesome first to 10 set with eva01.

Not sure if you guys remember him but he is from Cali and plays Ken and took 2nd place in our tournament only losing to Saqs. Actually took Saqs to the final round both sets.

He said he's been playing in arcades and has been busy so hasn't posted much. His Ken mind games though are SOOO good. I played him after that GAF tourney and went 1-9 :lol

Tonight I did much better =]

oqhfno.jpg

GGs Eva01 wherever you are! I missed fighting your Ken. That was the most enjoyable set of matches I've ever had in SF4 i think.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Dizzy-4U said:
Aside from the L.A Riots tournament, is there a recording of the other events? Any of the matches uploaded to youtube maybe?

Hmmm..yeah surprised FADC hasn't uploaded any NEC vids yet.

TurtleSnatcher said:
I just had an awesome first to 10 set with eva01.

Not sure if you guys remember him but he is from Cali and plays Ken and took 2nd place in our tournament only losing to Saqs. Actually took Saqs to the final round both sets.

He said he's been playing in arcades and has been busy so hasn't posted much. His Ken mind games though are SOOO good. I played him after that GAF tourney and went 1-9 :lol

Tonight I did much better =]

GGs Eva01 wherever you are! I missed fighting your Ken. That was the most enjoyable set of matches I've ever had in SF4 i think.

Good job. Looks like a good warm up for NEOGAF Barfights!!

qcf x2

I've faced a lot of troopers lately. This one guy wouldn't leave so I had to leave on account of being tired, after the match score was about 30-4. This is a far cry from what used to be common place (and still is but definitely not to the same extent), which is if the person sees that you are better than them, they drop. Much respect to those trying to improve their game!

Grifter

-COOLIO- said:
he was talking about how in the game you need to hate your opponent, having fun with your friends is one thing, but if you're going to make street fighter your passion you need to want to win, and stop laughing off losses.

it sounds a little elitist at first but he's right.

thanks. that's close to the mentality i was around and had growing up in nyc. when things got more suburban for me, people just laughed off losses and i adjusted to be more easy going but i did lose some edge.

qcf x2

jaundicejuice said:

1. It takes months of regular play to get accustomed to using a stick. And then when you switch from one to another (and back, as I have) it takes a while again. But once you get used to it, you'll never want to go back. You can, but you won't want to. Make sure you're gripping it correctly, practice doing fireballs and charge moves in Training but be sure to go to the options and put Input Display - On. Capcom really did the community a service by adding that feature, as it shows you when you're overdoing motions or missing them.

2. EX moves require two buttons. The coward crouch requires three. So don't push three punches, push two punch buttons together. You might not get the roll, but you won't get the stupid crouch.

3. Rage is part of it. Even to this day I have problems hitting angles, but that's because I was a moron who requested an 8-way gate so even if the stick is angled toward a corner, it doesn't register until I smash it against the corner and it makes a clicking noise. My fault, and I punch tables a lot because of it. But I still won't switch my baby for anything. :D

Grifter

Kaako said:
Jumped back on yesterday after a couple of months. I was horrible before; I'm down right gawbage now. :/
I just can't put the time in so I can't level up my game faster than I could be I guess. I don't mind loosing though cause I like to think that I learn from my mistakes. :D

I still love this game though, my most online played game of this generation.

If you want to grind back up and don't mine me trying alts, hit me up!

Ledsen

So I found these videos of the LA Riots on thestream`s channel:

http://en.justin.tv/clip/41cc2cc9eec67b58

Unfortunately, that`s it, and it`s only 1 hour of video, a total of 2 matches :( There is nothing at all on their archive page and I can`t find any more videos (except the one of the Gootecks match). Is it possible to watch the whole thing or am I out of luck?

Top Bottom