• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Grifter

jaundicejuice said:
I just need to lose the suck before Super lands.

Edit: I would like to clarify that I grew up playing fighting games in arcades, wiling away hours of my youth playing games like Samurai Shodown II, World Heroes, Street Fighter II, and almost every arcade release in the 90's. I'm no stranger to using an arcade stick. It's just frustrating that I can't seem to use the one I purchased and I've been using it for a while now.

I had managed to scrabble my way to .500, now I'm just doing incredibad.
I was in your boat. I had shelled out for a MAS for the Happ parts. Maybe try arcade in a box?

There's a great elegance and efficiency to Sanwa parts now that I adjusted.

I don't care if it's the wrong mindset for him, I just want Super to let me apply some real offensive pressure as Guile. Seeing what Dagger_G can do with this version right now, I can't wait to see (and try to X-COPY some of) what he'll do with the next (hopefully better) version.

I think Guile's gotta be one of the harder characters to balance, he's been all over the place whenever he's in.

LowParry

Ya know, I figure by next year when I upgrade my 360 stick from a EX2 to a TE stick (Round 2 hopefully), I'll be playing better. But man, having a TE for my PS3 and going back and forth from an EX2 is mind boggling.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Are you guys memorizing the timing for the button presses for combos? I see guys hitting big combos on me online and I'm like "how is that possible?", but I go off the hitstun animations for doing combos and don't actually think about the timing of the taps as much, so when i'm online and the animations are late, it screws everything up.

Memorizing the timing of taps blindfolded seems so much harder though. Maybe I should stop even attempting 1 frame links online.

Killa Sasa said:
I don't care if it's the wrong mindset for him, I just want Super to let me apply some real offensive pressure as Guile. Seeing what Dagger_G can do with this version right now, I can't wait to see (and try to X-COPY some of) what he'll do with the next (hopefully better) version.

I think Guile's gotta be one of the harder characters to balance, he's been all over the place whenever he's in.

God damn. Sick. Must say, I'm quite the Dagger G fanboy.

And on the topic of hot guile shenanigans, >>this was rather ridiculous as well<<

Timedog said:
Memorizing the timing of taps blindfolded seems so much harder though. Maybe I should stop even attempting 1 frame links online.

Well, you memorize the timing of hit confirm strings so you can decide whether you'll finish with a special or not. Example with Ryu, you'll do a cr. short, cr. jab, and buffer the SRK, by teh time the jab comes out you should realize whether you're pokes are connecting or not, and can finish with an SRK or not. It gives you pretty good amount of time since you link the srk as opposed to cancelling it.

Threi

notag
Timedog said:
Are you guys memorizing the timing for the button presses for combos?
I personally am. I don't know any of the plinking or double tapping or any of that stuff. I actually find myself closing my eyes during combos.

Any sf4 noobs feel like wasting some time? I'm not good and im rusty on top of that (Havent played in MONTHS) so TDawg and those in his range shouldnt waste their time on me. lol

XBL:vagabond01

PhatSaqs

Banned
I've never played Dagger but the absolute best Guile i've played is a guy on XBL tagged Geom_ModInside. We've done two sets of 10 where we are 1-1. He has some crazy corner pressure and overall solid fundamentals. Granted there is some lag involved since he is in France but a solid player is a solid player IMO. Check out is YT vids.

edit yeah this dude rofl: http://www.youtube.com/user/MoD1ns1d3

PhatSaqs said:
I've never played Dagger but the absolute best Guile i've played is a guy on XBL tagged Geom_ModInside. We've done two sets of 10 where we are 1-1. He has some crazy corner pressure and overall solid fundamentals. Granted there is some lag involved since he is in France but a solid player is a solid player IMO. Check out is YT vids.

www.youtube.com/user/ModInside

Don't know how his guile is, but he makes a mean AMV :lol :lol

edit - Is it this guy? http://www.youtube.com/user/MoD1ns1d3

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Street Fighter IV will be on a sale tomorrow on D2D, for 19.99!

I am so getting it so i can kick some people's asses....

MIMIC

Banned
Every time I fool around with Balrog in training mode, I can't get that one combo to fully connect (the one where it ends with the headbutt and then goes into his Ultra). When Balrog does the Ultra, I only get one hit and then it's like my opponent becomes invisible and Balrog just starts punching right through the dummy.

Does the combo have to be performed in a specific way up to the headbutt (and does the headbutt have to be light, medium, or hard)? Maybe I made up some stuff.

It's no big deal...I don't use Balrog but I was just wondering.

Darkman M

MIMIC said:
Every time I fool around with Balrog in training mode, I can't get that one combo to fully connect (the one where it ends with the headbutt and then goes into his Ultra). When Balrog does the Ultra, I only get one hit and then it's like my opponent becomes invisible and Balrog just starts punching right through the dummy.

Does the combo have to be performed in a specific way up to the headbutt (and does the headbutt have to be light, medium, or hard)? Maybe I made up some stuff.

It's no big deal...I don't use Balrog but I was just wondering.

Are you holding the kick button to miss the second straight with an uppercut?

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
G1 is driving me nuts.

I seem to do better with Rose of all people then Honda. I don't play like Saqs at all though.

My consistency is weird too- I don't lose more then 2 in a row ever, but don't win more then 4 in a row ever.

I feel like I'm stuck between decent and good.

This is what I use with my Rog after the ultra with the ANY headbutt...

PPP (on the first hit), PPP(second will miss), KKK, KKK, KKK(all 3 will hit).

That will hit everytime. You can use other sequences such ass KKK, PPP, KKK, KKK, KKK.

It all depends on where your opponent is when you do the ultra.

gutabo

Man, I don't know if it's me, G1, the character or everyone else, but playing an offensive Honda can be such a pain against so many turtles. I feel like I have to turtle(and if I do I win), but I like to rush way more... sometimes it feels like Honda can do nothing against turtling blanka/balrog/ryu/guile... Most of the times I just wish Capcom would take some tips from Guilty Gear(trying to reward offensive players) or just remove invincible frames from backdashes... I don't even have issues with sagat anymore... Maybe I should switch and abandon the sumo army?</random pointless rant>

Anyway, anyone up to some games? Gutabo2 on XBL... There might be lag since I'm in south america.

rise888

Re: playing online
Any tips on what to do when an opponent jumps in with an attack and then goes for the throw? Or is this a guessing game situation? Or just plain BS related to playing online?

K.Sabot

rise888 said:
Any tips on what to do when an opponent jumps in with an attack and then goes for the throw? Or is this a guessing game situation? Or just plain BS related to playing online?

Don't let him touch the ground.

rise888 said:

Pick Ken and ignitz that throw!!!

The Hug Dog said:
What are the official Madcatz pads like for this game? Worth picking up?

Most people that use them have said they're great pads.

rise888 said:

Who do you play? Typically if an opponent jumps in on you, you want to anti air them as a punish. Otherwise, if you miss your AA opportunity, you can stop the throw by throwing at the same time.

XenoRaven

rise888 said:
You can try any of the previous suggestions, or simply FA the jump-in, or tech the throw.

McNum

So how's the online on PC now?

I kind of got that Street Fightin' itch, and considering I never actually got my PC SFIV online when I bought it last year, I figure it might be interesting to try out my feeble Street Fighter skills online. Only, I don't have a clue on how to get started. Do I just jump in tournaments and start fighting until I start winning? I'm thinking of taking my Sakura online. I know she's not a great character, but my other decent character is Ryu, and I'm not going to play Ryu. I like Ryu, but he's just so... bland. Besides, I like how fast Sakura is. I figure I can work with that. That and if I do get good, I can surprise people who aren't used to meeting her. I got a Fightpad, so at least I don't have to fight the keyboard as well as my opponent.

But I suppose what I'm really asking if you have any tips for an online newbie who'd like to play the hyperactive schoogirl shoto-clone? Or do I just go in blind? I'm playing from Denmark, so there might be some lag issues.

Huggers

McNum said:
So how's the online on PC now?

I kind of got that Street Fightin' itch, and considering I never actually got my PC SFIV online when I bought it last year, I figure it might be interesting to try out my feeble Street Fighter skills online. Only, I don't have a clue on how to get started. Do I just jump in tournaments and start fighting until I start winning? I'm thinking of taking my Sakura online. I know she's not a great character, but my other decent character is Ryu, and I'm not going to play Ryu. I like Ryu, but he's just so... bland. Besides, I like how fast Sakura is. I figure I can work with that. That and if I do get good, I can surprise people who aren't used to meeting her. I got a Fightpad, so at least I don't have to fight the keyboard as well as my opponent.

But I suppose what I'm really asking if you have any tips for an online newbie who'd like to play the hyperactive schoogirl shoto-clone? Or do I just go in blind? I'm playing from Denmark, so there might be some lag issues.

The best thing to do man is just have a go. See how you hold up

Just went back after playing Tekken 6 and Abel seems flat out terrible. I was playing against a friends Chun earlier and she was flat out violating me with her normals (fierce and roundhouse namely) which seemed to totally destroy my jump ins and out-poked everything I had. The only way I could get any damage was by getting through some miracle in and going for the Abel rushdown (guessing games) or by lucking out and managing to jab tornado his pokes. Am I missing something here?

Spirit of Jazz said:
Just went back after playing Tekken 6 and Abel seems flat out terrible. I was playing against a friends Chun earlier and she was flat out violating me with her normals (fierce and roundhouse namely) which seemed to totally destroy my jump ins and out-poked everything I had. The only way I could get any damage was by getting through some miracle in and going for the Abel rushdown (guessing games) or by lucking out and managing to jab tornado his pokes. Am I missing something here?

The matchup blows balls. Chun out pokes alot of characters. Similar to when I fight one with my Rog, I have a hell of a time getting in without getting poked to death. I have to waste alot of EX meter just to get in for a combo or knockdown.

I have yet I figure out a good strat against a decent Chun.

Culinary

rise888 said:
Backdashing works to. You just have to mix it up.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
black_vegeta said:
I have yet I figure out a good strat against a decent Chun.
As I understand it, with Abel the key is to be patient and maintain a close but safe distance so that when Chun tries to do something, Abel can punish. Rushing in just makes the fight incredibly easy for her. Focus attacks also mess up her ground game, but don't get predictable because she does have counters for it.

MIMIC

Banned
black_vegeta said:
This is what I use with my Rog after the ultra with the ANY headbutt...

PPP (on the first hit), PPP(second will miss), KKK, KKK, KKK(all 3 will hit).

That will hit everytime. You can use other sequences such ass KKK, PPP, KKK, KKK, KKK.

It all depends on where your opponent is when you do the ultra.

Wait...what? 0_o You have to press buttons DURING the Ultra? Hmmmm.....

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Hitokage said:
As I understand it, with Abel the key is to be patient and maintain a close but safe distance so that when Chun tries to do something, Abel can punish. Rushing in just makes the fight incredibly easy for her. Focus attacks also mess up her ground game, but don't get predictable because she does have counters for it.

I love wrecking Abel's with her. She has good alternatives and counters against most of his stuff. I've been destroyed by one Abel though =P. Nearly perfected me twice... first and only time that has ever happened. Bwahhhha.

McNum

The Hug Dog said:
The best thing to do man is just have a go. See how you hold up

Good advice. I just brushed up on my Sakura in Practice, she's good to go. I mess up the Ultra occasionally, and my moves might be pretty stale, but for a 1BP newbie, I'm okay. I need to relearn the timing on cr. MP -> Hadoken, though.

The choice of opponent, however... Two bars and three countries away is probably a little on the low side. I'll try again tomorrow closer to EU prime time. It's a pity you can't set up a Fight Request in Practice Mode.

MIMIC

Banned
Me vs Abel (with any character): Round 1 starts....Walk forward. Throw (because he's rolling).

Works 75% of the time :D

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Ledsen said:
So I found these videos of the LA Riots on thestream`s channel:

http://en.justin.tv/clip/41cc2cc9eec67b58

Unfortunately, that`s it, and it`s only 1 hour of video, a total of 2 matches :( There is nothing at all on their archive page and I can`t find any more videos (except the one of the Gootecks match). Is it possible to watch the whole thing or am I out of luck?

Hrm, they took down the recording. It was possible to watch the whole thing online, but justin.tv probably has a time limit or something. I guess you'll have to wait for the torrent that gootecks is putting out.

eva01

GGs Eva01 wherever you are! I missed fighting your Ken. That was the most enjoyable set of matches I've ever had in SF4 i think.

Hey Turtlesnatcher yeah that was some good games. You had some nice tricks with Gen. Once I get my hands on a new stick(hoping frys gets more in at $99 price) I should probably play more often. I enjoy playing on the pc more than xbox these days. I'm not always at the arcade, I goto denjin or ai once or twice a month. Is there a new gaf tourney coming up? I'm so out of the loop haha.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Grifter said:
xbl games anyone?

gt: grifter 181

Damn, nice games =P. By the way... those initial Ultras... those weren't on purpose. They were hazanshous but somehow the game interpreted them as Ultras. =P

Also... Akuma's Ultra = Rape.

Grifter

Relix said:
Damn, nice games =P. By the way... those initial Ultras... those weren't on purpose. They were hazanshous but somehow the game interpreted them as Ultras. =P

Also... Akuma's Ultra = Rape.

ggs! left you a msg on xbl too.

Top Bottom