• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Halvie

Banned
Anyone call their Game Crazy today? I called yesterday, and the guy said they might have it today. However I kind of think he was full of shit because he said he was only getting enough copies to fulfill preorders.

Arde5643

Oichi said:
Have you even played SF4? Have you played Honda in SF4?
='(

I'm a scrub, although I've seen some Hondas win against some Sagats or Shootos - not as much as Sagats or Shootos beat them, but it's there.

I've also seen videos of some Honda players in TRF doing pretty well against other expert players.

But no, I don't play Honda.

Dan is F-tier? Honestly, what's new here? I'm sure they just auto-placed Dan there because he's Dan. It's not like he has any improvements, right? :p

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Arde5643 said:
='(

I'm a scrub, although I've seen some Hondas win against some Sagats or Shootos - not as much as Sagats or Shootos beat them, but it's there.

I've also seen videos of some Honda players in TRF doing pretty well against other expert players.

But no, I don't play Honda.

Here's a tip then. Before making any claims that a character is good or bad, and throwing bullshit matchup numbers into the mix, PLAY THE BLOODY CHARACTER.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
gutter_trash said:
If Honda sucks that bad, I may have to change my avatar :lol :lol :lol
*but I will play first before doing that judgement

Better do it before you play the game even, the random new tier list on every page and the comments of random scrubs who haven't even played the game are THE LAW

THE LAW YOU HEAR ME

Ridli

Bumblebeetuna said:
What do the tiers matter? Is it just for competitive play or something? Like Tier B only etc etc?

Tiers don't really matter for anything except the highest of high level play, and I have never seen a competition where you can only play within a particular tier (although some tourneys may very well ban certain characters that are deemed to "break" the game).

The intent is to bring attention to which characters are better suited for competition play. A character with far more strengths than weaknesses would be considered higher tier for example. And if you are playing in a competition you would want to limit your weaknesses as much as possible so that if you are playing a person at the same skill level, your selection of character would leave you fewer weakness for your opponent to exploit.

The reality is player skill will make much more of a difference than the character selected, most tiers are based on hypothetical situation of two opponents of exactly equal skill. And considering how early we are in the life of the SFIV home version, I wouldn't put too much faith into them just yet. Still, after a game has been in competition for a long time, trends do start to appear and the tier lists make it easier to see what characters have the most solid options available to them.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i can't believe people are still talking about tier lists.

you're not that good, people here are going to beat you with dan.

let's talk about something more relevant: what about those positive online impressions? pretty awwesssommeee, ehh?

Arde5643

jon bones said:

let's talk about something more relevant: what about those positive online impressions? pretty awwesssommeee, ehh?
How many total players so far have been recorded for online play? I wanna see if it can hold up once the game has been officially released.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
IT'S GO TIME! :D :D :D

2lxb34i.jpg

2cz6ccz.jpg

Later!

MoxManiac

TurtleSnatcher said:
By the way.. the guide is really really good. I highly recommend you go out and buy it.

It has the frame data on EVERY single character move. Including just normal attacks..

Its pretty nuts.

Wait, even for the console characters? I thought only the arcade characters had the frame data (which is easily found on SRK)

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
UnholySpectacle said:
Anybody know which 7-11 stores sell games? I cant seem to find any around me that sell them. I am in the DC metro area so Maryland or northern Virginia is fine.
I live in a college town so all of the 7-11s around here are stocked with video games. There were so many early releases of Halo 3 and Gears 2 that it was fuckin ridiculous.

Spy

Instead of talking about tier lists let's start trying to help each other find the game early. The two rumors I've heard so far is that 7-Eleven and GameCrazy may get the game today.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
gutter_trash said:
If Honda sucks that bad, I may have to change my avatar :lol :lol :lol
*but I will play first before doing that judgement

This is what's good about Honda:

* Vertical jump fierce that has insane priority, does good damage and stun.
* Very, very good damage on headbutt, especially EX headbutt
* Ultra can be used like Fuerte's Ultra, or Alex's Stun Gun Headbutt to counter jump-ins. You must do it early for it to connect though, depending on the character.
* Standing Roundhouse does good damage and is bloody fast.
* Oicho throw has decent range and damage, sets you up beside a downed opponent for trickery.
* Standing and crouching Light and Medium punches are good pokes, especially for helping you set up Oicho.
* Hundred Hands can be linked to standing roundhouse, back to Hundred Hands for about 40% damage and a lot of stun.
* His new move, d/f+Roundhouse, can be canceled into Oicho, Slaps or Butt Slam during its animation. i.e. After Oicho throw, do d/f+Roundhouse as wakeup, if you think they'll jump, slap or butt slam to knock them back down. If you think they're going to stand or crouch, Oicho or slaps for chip damage.
* Honda gets back his good c.mk, and not his shitty A-ism c.mk. This means good poking tools that you can use to combo into headbutt.

This is what's bad about Honda:
* Versus Sagat, his headbutt does not go over low tiger shots like in ST. This is the main reason why he loses this match up for free. He can't headbutt over low tigers, and when he jumps over them, Sagat is waiting with forward+Roundhouse.
* Headbutt, despite having good damage, has SHIT priority. EX Headbutt is good on wakeup and crossups, but that's it. Jab headbutt cannot be used for jump-ins consistently, as it has to be done much earlier than in previous games.
* Standing Fierce can no longer be used as anti-air, because it is primarily a poking tool now. This means Honda has NO anti-air normals, which means he gets crossed up for free if you aren't psychic. Your best option if you think you'll get crossed up is jump back/jump fierce, but that can get you into trouble.
* Headbutts are fucking unsafe as hell. On block, Ken gets free f+MK, Chun gets free Ultra, Boxer gets free dash punch, and so on. Even on EX some characters get counters for free damage.
* If EX Butt Slam is blocked, you are fucked. On the way down, Ryu can c.mp you, and can probably EX SRK you if he is feeling randy.
* Standing Roundhouse, as good as its speed and damage is, does not knock down anymore. You have NO knockdown moves except for c.RH. This is a huge disadvantage for Honda because he has no way of building pressure and closing space against an opponent, especially ones with fireballs.
* Unlike in Super Turbo, you cannot use his Ultra as punishment for poor fireball placement. Well, you can, but you'd have to be near psychic to do it, and if you read the fireball too late, it will stuff your headbutt. Super can be used to punish fireballs, but with the way the game is, you will probably want that meter for EX Headbutt, Buttslam, Oicho and so on. I almost never have a full super bar because I am always using it for ex moves.

And that is Honda, in a nutshell.

See, that is how a fucking character breakdown, and TIER DISCUSSION is FUCKING DONE.

Arde5643

Oichi said:

* Good vertical jump fierce that has insane priority.
* Very, very good damage on headbutt, especially EX headbutt
* Ultra can be used like Fuerte's Ultra, or Alex's Stun Gun Headbutt to counter jump-ins. You must do it early for it to connect though, depending on the character.
* Standing Roundhouse does good damage and is bloody fast.
* Oicho throw has decent range and damage, sets you up beside a downed opponent for trickery.
* Hundred Hands can be linked to standing roundhouse, back to Hundred Hands for about 40% damage and a lot of stun.
* His new move, d/f+Roundhouse, can be canceled into Oicho, Slaps or Butt Slam during its animation. i.e. After Oicho throw, do d/f+Roundhouse as wakeup, if you think they'll jump, slap or butt slam to knock them back down. If you think they're going to stand or crouch, Oicho or slaps for chip damage.
* Honda gets back his good c.mk, and not his shitty A-ism c.mk. This means good poking tools that you can use to combo into headbutt.

This is what's bad about Honda:
* Versus Sagat, his headbutt does not go over low tiger shots like in ST. This is the main reason why he loses this match up for free. He can't headbutt over low tigers, and when he jumps over them, Sagat is waiting with forward+Roundhouse.
* Headbutt, despite having good damage, has SHIT priority. EX Headbutt is good on wakeup and crossups, but that's it. Jab headbutt cannot be used for jump-ins consistently, as it has to be done much earlier than in previous games.
* Standing Fierce can no longer be used as anti-air, because it is primarily a poking tool now. This means Honda has NO anti-air normals, which means he gets crossed up for free if you aren't psychic. Your best option if you think you'll get crossed up is jump back/jump fierce, but that can get you into trouble.
* Headbutts are fucking unsafe as hell. On block, Ken gets free f+MK, Chun gets free Ultra, Boxer gets free dash punch, and so on. Even on EX some characters get counters for free damage.
* If EX Butt Slam is blocked, you are fucked. On the way down, Ryu can c.mp you, and can probably EX SRK you if he is feeling randy.
* Standing Roundhouse, as good as its speed and damage is, does not knock down anymore. You have NO knockdown moves except for c.RH. This is a huge disadvantage for Honda because he has no way of building pressure and closing space against an opponent, especially ones with fireballs.

And that is Honda, in a nutshell.

See, that is how a fucking character breakdown is FUCKING DONE.
:bows

Do you have a crude estimate of his match-ups against the rest of the cast from your experience?

donkey show said:
You just suck. =P

Seriously though, Viper is beast.

viper is not easy to play with. she can be very deadly, but from the little i've played with her timing is CRUCIAL to do her combos and tactics.

Ridli

Damn this thread moves so fast. And I don't think any place in my town is going to have a chance at it early. This is going to be a long, long weekend.

bdizzle said:
viper is not easy to play with. she can be very deadly, but from the little i've played with her timing is CRUCIAL to do her combos and tactics.
Oh no doubt. I play Viper in the arcade and it takes awhile to get used to ingraining her mixups into the routine, trickery with the cancels, etc.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Anyone know if Walmart will carry the SF Pads? I heard some people have had success finding them at Best Buy, I assume they will widely launch with the game? Has anyone seen a pad at a place other than Best Buy? I'm excited to get a 360 pad not only for this game but for other xbla games I have and even some emus on my PC.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
DMPrince said:
are you going to call GS corp again?

Nope. No point in it anymore. Just hoping everything comes in with the game. If not, oh well. I'll get my money back and play the game on PS3 with my VFHG.

Ridli

DJ_Tet said:
Anyone know if Walmart will carry the SF Pads? I heard some people have had success finding them at Best Buy, I assume they will widely launch with the game? Has anyone seen a pad at a place other than Best Buy? I'm excited to get a 360 pad not only for this game but for other xbla games I have and even some emus on my PC.

Hmm, I don't remember hearing about any "Big Box" store aside from Best Buy carrying the pads. Most other locations seem to be specialty shops like Gamestop, PlaynTrade, and the like.

Spy

I'm really trying to find the game today or tomorrow. I have Monday off (Holiday) but Tuesday (SFIV) is work!

Arde5643

DJ_Tet said:
Any Gaffers already have either the madcatz pad or SE stick?

I've read in SRK they're pretty good, but I just want further impressions from Gaffers who have either the pad or the stick.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Oichi said:
See, that is how a fucking character breakdown, and TIER DISCUSSION is FUCKING DONE.
The information you gave on Sagat matchups was worrying. Why would they nerf Honda so much? I don't really understand Capcom's philosophy behind character balance. Why would they spend so much time on art and animation on a character and then basically emasculate him?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Shig said:
:O NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo

I've really grown to love Honda after playing him a lot in HDR the past week...

Also, there's a concept art gallery?! Fuckawesome!

Honda most certainly does not suck. People at work groan when I pick him because they know I'm going to destroy them with his insane priority command throw. He's not a guaranteed win, but (as with most characters in the game) if you know what you're doing with him and what his moves beat and are beaten by priority-wise, you can do very well with him.

That tier list is substantially off in several places, IMO.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Ridli said:
Hmm, I don't remember hearing about any "Big Box" store aside from Best Buy carrying the pads. Most other locations seem to be specialty shops like Gamestop, PlaynTrade, and the like.

That's good to know, will save me a trip, thanks!

I'd also like to read impressions from any gaffers that have picked up the SF4 Pad as well.

Ridli

Arde5643 said:
Any Gaffers already have either the madcatz pad or SE stick?

I've read in SRK they're pretty good, but I just want further impressions from Gaffers who have either the pad or the stick.

I have both the fight pad and the fightstick for 360. You can read my impressions on the pad here -- Impressions

I just got my SE Fightstick in yesterday so I'm still putting it through it's paces, but so far, everything is positive.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Mike Ross's Honda beat me at California Reigonals in the 5v5 and I play Sagat.. it was pretty close though.. I missed some uppercuts. :(

jon bones said:

Online seems pretty flaky for me ATM. now that some of the initial hype has worn off I'm seeing the flaws in the online.

1)In ranked matches, once you beat someone it kicks you back to the search screen to look for another player. really breaks up the fighting.
2) On unranked matches it keeps you in the "lobby" but you don't go right back to the character select screen like you do in HD remix, really breaks up the arcade feel of playing someone over and over and over again up.
3) When playing unranked, the network status never shows up for me. I don't know why.
4) When you search for a match, only a list of 3 people come up at a time. I'm assuming that's because very few people are playing but there's way more than 4 people with the game playing on XBL. I might be doing something wrong tho
5) Getting into a match can be tricky. You'll connect and it'll either timeout connecting to their lobby or timeout waiting at the screen where you can get ready.
6) Quick match doesn't bring you directly to the player, it brings you to the search screen where you can select someone to fight.

My hope is that I'm doing something wrong and on tuesday thing's will be better...but idk.

But when you do get in a match and play with someone with a decent connection, it's pretty much on par with the SP exp. It seems a whole lot eaiser to find a match through arcade requests than by searching.

My hypes kinda died down because of having to play on the 360 pad though. I'm desperately waiting for tuesday so i can pick up my TE stick from GS and really start working on playing the game right.

DihcarEM

I also got my PAL copy today, my brother bought a ps3 version, i bought the x360 version.
Absolutely awesome.
Saw it in stock at an online NL shop called consoleshop, checked out the Belgium store, they had it too. Orderd and went to Antwerp and got the games this afternoon. I played for a good 3 hours, unlocked all characters except Akuma,Gouken and Seth.
This game is everything i hoped for and i love playing my favorite character which is Fei Long, Gouken will be my second main.

Cool, first post on page 100.

LALILULELO

Neo Member
The shop, in Holland, where I got my copy today from, sold out on all their regular and LE versions! (ps3 & 360)

Next week theyll be getting a new batch together with the pads and sticks.
Cant wait to have my TE stick! SF4 I love yoouuu.

Ono san thanks for bringing SF once again back in my life :D

Top Bottom