• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Nose Master

Jesus, I thought I read that Sanford won. Amazing match, even if the Gouken was a little dirty.

PS: SF4 snuggie get! Friend got it for me for christmas, there's apparently a pyramid display at the local mall :lol

Nose Master said:
Jesus, I thought I read that Sanford won. Amazing match, even if the Gouken was a little dirty.

Sanford won the grand finals match.

Rufus said:

Mimic's done things way harder on the pad haha.

Shine wasn't doing anything technical really, just the basic moves and lots of mashing.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I missed the grand finals. I hope Seb hurries up and uploads them (unless I'm just blind and not seeing them).

I'm glad a Gouken player went so far. It's more entertaining than seeing the usual Ryu/Sagat/Rufus.

DR2K

Banned
FindMyFarms said:
Shine wasn't doing anything technical really, just the basic moves and lots of mashing.

It got him all the way to the finals. You can discredit him for being random/basic, but the fact that he managed to throw so many players off their game is something to respect.

V_Arnold

FindMyFarms said:
It wasn't on reaction actually, he just did jump back round house after every pressure situation.

I do not know if you are joking right now or not, but if you have got an Akuma CONSTANTLY jumping on you, maybe that is quite..... natural. Pretending that Akuma wont do that again is dumb.

Stop hating that Gouken, really...

DR2K said:
It got him all the way to the finals. You can discredit him for being random/basic, but the fact that he managed to throw so many players off their game is something to respect.

In my reply I was just commenting on his execution.

But he didn't throw a bunch of players off, he threw 3 off - Damdai, Lincoln(who isn't a top player or anything), and Sanford. Battlefield has average players that show up as well, it's not all pros. And no, there's nothing respectable about his game, so there's nothing for me to respect. Stuff like that happens once and only once. Guarantee he doesn't beat any big name players again any time soon unless he really works on his game.

In basketball, if some bench warmer has a 30+ point game, it doesn't mean they're a great player all of a sudden, it just means things went their way that game(or steve nash was guarding them), same thing with Shine.

V_Arnold said:
I do not know if you are joking right now or not, but if you have got an Akuma CONSTANTLY jumping on you, maybe that is quite..... natural. Pretending that Akuma wont do that again is dumb.

Stop hating that Gouken, really...

Watch the vids man. He does it EVERY time. Before akuma started jumping in, and he even was doing it full screen:lol :lol . Don't make it sound like the kid was getting reads when it was just something he constantly did.

It WAS Sanford's fault though for not making the necessary adjustments and gettin smacked in the face by it non stop.

rocK`

Banned
FindMyFarms said:

Interesting. He mashed out air-to-air normals and near the end mashed out demon flips/throws

that's pretty good mashing.

V_Arnold

FindMyFarms said:
In my reply I was just commenting on his execution.

Watch the vids man. He does it EVERY time. Before akuma started jumping in, and he even was doing it full screen:lol :lol . Don't make it sound like the kid was getting reads when it was just something he constantly did.

It WAS Sanford's fault though for not making the necessary adjustments and gettin smacked in the face by it non stop.

I watched it. He does it because it works. And yes, it is bad doing it every time. But you do not know what he would have done if Sanford actually stopped doing the jumpins. That is mindgame there, and even something looking like "dumb" is a mindgame if the opponent does not really react or adjust properly.

So Shine has earned himself respect, from me anyway (I am nobody, but hey.). In the next tourney, this wont be enough, but it is a good start.

rocK` said:
Interesting. He mashed out air-to-air normals and near the end mashed out demon flips/throws

that's pretty good mashing.

2:17

3:05

3:48

I apoligize for not directly linking, having trouble with it at the moment. The mashing is in reference to his wake up shenanigans and his counter spam. If you go to the parts in the match I mentioned, you see a counter come out through EVERY single gap in combos/block strings. That only happens when you mash.

V_Arnold said:
I watched it. He does it because it works. And yes, it is bad doing it every time. But you do not know what he would have done if Sanford actually stopped doing the jumpins. That is mindgame there, and even something looking like "dumb" is a mindgame if the opponent does not really react or adjust properly.

So Shine has earned himself respect, from me anyway (I am nobody, but hey.). In the next tourney, this wont be enough, but it is a good start.

No, he did it because that's all he knows. No mind games to be had. In the rounds Sanford won/dominated, he went easy on the jump ins and approached by carefully walking him into the corner. And you know what Shine did in those rounds? That's right, jump back roundhouse, which is how he got cornered.

6-0 grandfinals shows that shine doesn't adjust.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
V_Arnold said:
Did not Sanford use Sagat in grandfinals? Have not got a chance of seeing that yet.

I didn't see it but I think he did.

And Sanford admitted himself he really doesn't have to try with Sagat...just saying :p

All of this Shine criticism is actually making me feel optimistic because it shows that Gouken still has some potential to be had for a skilled player
in SSF4

KittenMaster said:
All of this Shine criticism is actually making me feel optimistic because it shows that Gouken still has some potential to be had for a skilled player
in SSF4

There's a couple of good Goukens out there. Valle dabbles with him on the side, and Desora from Japan has some vids up on youtube.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Grifter said:
Hey Lost Fragment, hope you didn't mind my unleashing the noob alt army on ya. I know that crew can look real ugly.

You up for a few? Secondary, main, randoms, w/e =P

Or...

Best of 3 Chun v Akuma (I need revenge) and then alts? =P. I do hope the connection is as smooth as last time though haha

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Grifter said:
Hey Lost Fragment, hope you didn't mind my unleashing the noob alt army on ya. I know that crew can look real ugly.

You say that like I didn't play Fei Long and Sakura half the time :p I've been putting in time leveling alts myself lately.

qcf x2

lol @ that Gouken, I've faced "that guy" a million times on XBL. Predictably random! How the fuck do you lose to someone who doesn't even block? :lol

There's losing to someone who plays unconventionally, and then there's losing to a scrub. Random ultra, random moves, no blocking, no throwing, that's scrub. Then again, Sanford couldn't figure that shit out and threw out a random ultra of his own.

Just terrible to watch, although I guess part of it might be that both characters have really annoying fireball spam playstyles.

Threi said:
I went look for Desora's Gouken, and the first match that pops up is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8R9vGrSo9A

poor Gouken needs a nerf, can't hang with the top tier chars at all :(

Uh oh, paging DR2K in 3,2,1...

For the record though, I never said she was top tier, I just agreed with all the pros that put her outside top tier i.e. upper middle tier.

In Desora's defense though, Sako is a BEAST, he's placed in SBO before in 3s, so by no means is he any random guy.

qcf x2 said:
lol @ that Gouken, I've faced "that guy" a million times on XBL. Predictably random! How the fuck do you lose to someone who doesn't even block? :lol

There's losing to someone who plays unconventionally, and then there's losing to a scrub. Random ultra, random moves, no blocking, no throwing, that's scrub. Then again, Sanford couldn't figure that shit out and threw out a random ultra of his own.

Just terrible to watch, although I guess part of it might be that both characters have really annoying fireball spam playstyles.

Thank you! A witness to Shine's scrubby spam first hand! As if the video evidence wasn't enough.

Grifter

Lost Fragment said:
You say that like I didn't play Fei Long and Sakura half the time :p I've been putting in time leveling alts myself lately.

My noobs are more noobie! I also like busting out Ken but he's clearly a low ceiling dude.

You up for a few? Secondary, main, randoms, w/e =P

Or...

Best of 3 Chun v Akuma (I need revenge) and then alts? =P. I do hope the connection is as smooth as last time though haha

I'm at work, but I will say that in ideal conditions, I think Akuma highly limits Chun's options.

qcf x2

FindMyFarms said:
Thank you! A witness to Shine's scrubby spam first hand! As if the video evidence wasn't enough.

Oh no, I didn't mean I literally played him on XBL, although I probably have, lol. I was just implying that your typical opponent on XBL plays the exact same way.

Kinda like how most Ken players online are gonna do jump kick, sweep, random fierce SRK's, random ultra, etc. Most Goukens are gonna do random fireballs, random srk move, random ultra, random counter. When someone doesn't block, yeah...lol.

This guy plays no different from the hordes of Gouken scrubs I've beaten with the likes of Rose and Sakura, that's all I was implying.

DryEyeRelief said:
Any tips on RSF?

My respect for Turtlesnatcher/Mimic went up a lot.
Eh I can't do it consistently and if you don't have 100% execution it actually becomes a negative more then a positive..

Its FiercexxRun (pause brief second) StopXXFierce

You gotta get that pausing down or else you will..

A - To be far away to continue the chain any longer then 2/3
B - Do a fajita buster.

qcf x2 said:
Oh no, I didn't mean I literally played him on XBL, although I probably have, lol. I was just implying that your typical opponent on XBL plays the exact same way.

Kinda like how most Ken players online are gonna do jump kick, sweep, random fierce SRK's, random ultra, etc. Most Goukens are gonna do random fireballs, random srk move, random ultra, random counter. When someone doesn't block, yeah...lol.

This guy plays no different from the hordes of Gouken scrubs I've beaten with the likes of Rose and Sakura, that's all I was implying.

well, i guess even top tier tourney players can lose to some flowcharter, once in a while. Like when Evil Rashaan lost to that scrub Dayasha, ugh.

Leunam

BotoxAgent said:
well, i guess even top tier tourney players can lose to some flowcharter, once in a while. Like when Evil Rashaan lost to that scrub Dayasha, ugh.

Link? Alls I know is Dayasha plays Chun Li.

Grifter

BotoxAgent said:
That name Rashaan sounds familiar...I think I beat him at NEC! That guy was NOT happy about it. :lol

MIMIC

Banned
DryEyeRelief said:
Any tips on RSF?

My respect for Turtlesnatcher/Mimic went up a lot.

I made a little amateur tutorial when I could only get 2 hits. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROYv8AFt404

Are you using a stick or a pad? I can do the RSF using the analog stick on the 360 pad so I guess the same concepts apply.

Also, I learned that using a pad and trying to do a "run, stop xx fierce" move (or something similar), your finger MUST either slide from the run button (which would be "stop" in this case) to the fierce button OR you must use two different fingers entirely: 1 for stop and the other for fierce.

Trying to press stop and then fierce with the same finger (and still combo) is pretty much impossible....at least that's how I found it. This is important when trying to do other "run, stop" moves (like "run stop c.MK" or "run stop corpse hop") or if you wish to map your button configuration differently than mine.

Top Bottom