• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Fraeon

I watched one of the tourney matches between Damdai and Shine and I was boggling why Damdai just kept doing jumping roundhouse and getting parried. It's not like you can get away with that against any other character, so... uh... what?

Lost Fragment said:
So I recently had a bunch of money fall into my lap. Originally I wanted to take some of it and build a full-on MAME cab, but for the sake of actaully being able to take it with me when i move, instead I've decided to build one of these bad boys:

This is gonna be awesome.

I wish there was a Vewlix kit I could just buy, though. I'm not too experienced with woodworking so I hope I don't end up getting in over my head.

wow! very nice man!

GGs to Grifter last night. It's fun playing your sick Akuma :)

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Ysiadmihi said:
That's me. You're Fuerte is so annoying :lol

By the way, have you tried using Fraps to record matches? I've been doing that and with the proper settings I can maintain 60fps and still get very good quality.

Yeah I am still waiting for you to upload the ass kicking I gave you!! =P

Turtle Snatcher, add my GFW... xx Relix !

Zapages

Ermac said:
lol I think you mean Armonix (That's my PSN tag)

But yeah your Ryu is definitely improved.

Anyone up for a few matches right now? PSN is Armonix, quote within 5 minutes or I'm gonna crash for the night. :p

lol sorry about that man. I play on my CRT tv and its hard to read from afar. :(

We should game later tonight or something.

Grifter

Kadey said:
After getting so much better with execution, I am more sensitive to lag that it's really starting to annoy me. I'm using Akuma a lot more often and basically training with the vortex. I can easily do it offline but online is a different matter. Same goes for any combos involving long strings and especially one frame stuff. I would pay Capcom $10 a month for better netcode at this point.

I've been there. Switching up timings was so aggravating that I quit for a while. Your problem is Akuma. His low HP and style of linking and precision (most of his moves are active for only 2 frames) gets swallowed up in lag.

GGs to Grifter last night. It's fun playing your sick Akuma :)
GGs! I need to switch up characters next time. =)

McBradders said:
Your Feurte is really good man. Not that you need someone like me telling you, but wow, nice moves.
Eh that match wasn't very special =[ Im normally more spazzy and running around a lot but headbutt makes me slow down in that match which I guess is good.

I got a ton of cross up fierces on that honda.. I guess he had no idea fuerte could do that?

MIMIC

Banned
Went into championship mode for the first time in a long time.....with Guile. Not with Fuerte. I need to get out of G2. :lol

Fuerte is fun, but it's ridiculous how little effort it takes to won with someone else as opposed to the cook.

And Guile's air throw is magical. :)

MIMIC said:
Went into championship mode for the first time in a long time.....with Guile. Not with Fuerte. I need to get out of G2. :lol

Fuerte is fun, but it's ridiculous how little effort it takes to won with someone else as opposed to the cook.

And Guile's air throw is magical. :)
Wut...

Fuerte is ez to win matches with...

Jazzy Network said:
Ugh I gotta get to G1 soon. G2 is rotting with bad players.

i honestly wish i was back in g2. last night i kid you not i probably lost 15 matches in a row. i wanted to cry. i'm now BELOW 15000gp :lol i'm just a basic Ryu player, dont really know any flashy combos. training in the practice room sucks. any hints? G1 can be fucking BRUTAL. i've never been dizzied so many times in my life.

WasteLand Soldier said:
i honestly wish i was back in g2. last night i kid you not i probably lost 15 matches in a row. i wanted to cry. i'm now BELOW 15000gp :lol i'm just a basic Ryu player, dont really know any flashy combos. training in the practice room sucks. any hints? G1 can be fucking BRUTAL. i've never been dizzied so many times in my life.
Play with a GAFer who will go over situations that you may encounter. Thats the best way.. and voice chat.

Shoot. I never made it out of G2. I just didn't have the patience to grind for so long. I prefer ranking battle in HD Remix (though you can obviously fight some cans).

And please Capcom, fix the search engine. I put it on request in arcade mode, but I kept getting one-bar opponents.

And Seb could've uploaded the Finals, as that is what everyone wants to see (even though we know Shine got bodied).

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I hate Seb's commentating. I like Hu, S.Kill, Dogface, and Ski is okay if he has someone else good with him.

Spiderjericho said:
No. PC version am hyper. Also, the prettiest version. Too bad mine doesn't work :(

Why doesn't yours work? Have we even played each other yet?

MIMIC

Banned
TurtleSnatcher said:
Wut...

Fuerte is ez to win matches with...

If the person knows how to play Fuerte, Fuerte is forced to play differently which makes it harder for him. That, coupled with Fuerte's sucky vitality and how 10 Fuerte moves = 1 Sagat upper cut, makes it that much hard when winning with Fuerte.

I mean if someone doesn't know how to play Fuerte, all you have to do is just do cross-up splashes all day. A person that knows the match-up well won't let Fuerte get in at ALL. Then Fuerte is forced to wait for opportune moments to punish mistakes and vulnerable positions. Other characters, like Guile, don't necessarily have to "wait" for someone to make a mistake; they can just constantly pressure someone and force a mistake.

MIMIC said:
If the person knows how to play Fuerte, Fuerte is forced to play differently which makes it harder for him. That, coupled with Fuerte's sucky vitality and how 10 Fuerte moves = 1 Sagat upper cut, makes it that much hard when winning with Fuerte.

I mean if someone doesn't know how to play Fuerte, all you have to do is just do cross-up splashes all day. A person that knows the match-up well won't let Fuerte get in at ALL. Then Fuerte is forced to wait for opportune moments to punish mistakes and vulnerable positions. Other characters, like Guile, don't necessarily have to "wait" for someone to make a mistake; they can just constantly pressure someone and force a mistake.

Someone needs to watch more buktooth vids :p

edit - nm

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
FindMyFarms said:
It wasn't on reaction actually, he just did jump back round house after every pressure situation.
man that guy had some nice reaction time on juggling after those anti-air fireballs.

better? :p

Pandaman said:
man that guy had some nice reaction time on juggling after those anti-air fireballs.

better? :p

I'm just not gonna say anything :lol

City Boy (Ryu) vs. Adnan (Rufus)

God damn, the commentary had me laughing non stop through out this whole match haha. It's a must watch!!

On Rufus Vs. Ryu matchup

Chris -(fob accent) Rufus just go random, thats how justin beat me.

Andre - Oh, so you're saying, Justin unskillfully beat you?

Chris -(fob accent) Um yeah, he just going some random stuff.

Andre - Oh, so he unskillfully beat you five times in a row?

Chris -(fob accent) Yeah his random is pretty good and is the most gimmick person in the world

:lol :lol :lol :lol The Adnan hate was pretty funny too

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Pandaman said:
man, that guy has some nice anti air reaction timing.

Yeah..I read the comments yesterday but couldn't watch so I was expecting a good Gouken. That was not a good Gouken. He definitely had a few neat little things but by game two he was downloaded. Only reason Sanford lost was Akuma's low health. Or maybe I'm just used to Desora/Valle style Gouken and this kid is the new style Gouken.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
worldrevolution said:
Yeah..I read the comments yesterday but couldn't watch so I was expecting a good Gouken. That was not a good Gouken. He definitely had a few neat little things but by game two he was downloaded. Only reason Sanford lost was Akuma's low health. Or maybe I'm just used to Desora/Valle style Gouken and this kid is the new style Gouken.
well, akumas low health is a trade off for akumas airgame and his vortex options, it just so happened that this kid was really used to swatting people out of the air.

so the only reason sanford lost was that his akuma was worse then shines gouken. it doesn't matter if you download the opponent or not if you're still being sent to losers by that opponent.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I find it amusing that some pros complain about "random" play. How is that any different from the scrubs complaining about tick throws, who everybody hates so much? If you lose, you got beat, pretty simple. And losing is for *******

SnowWolf said:
I find it amusing that some pros complain about "random" play. How is that any different from the scrubs complaining about tick throws, who everybody hates so much? If you lose, you got beat, pretty simple. And losing is for *******

Oh you have to watch the clip, chris hu and andre were just messin around.

Pandaman said:
so the only reason sanford lost was that his akuma was worse then shines gouken. it doesn't matter if you download the opponent or not if you're still being sent to losers by that opponent.

Sanford's akuma was waayyy worsee. In the grand scheme of things though, sanford downloading shine resulted in grand finals sweep.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
well, akumas low health is a trade off for akumas airgame and his vortex options, it just so happened that this kid was really used to swatting people out of the air.

He was back jump roundhousing randomly and throwing anti-air fireballs randomly. Watch again and check out how many fireballs are complete guesses that whiff. Did he get some right? Definitely. But they were not on reaction.. I'll give him that he followed up with a palm when he could. Still, for the most part you could just see him trying to get an EX bar so he could throw out an EX fireball and pray Sanford jumped into it. I'm not Sanford fan and I don't know how his Akuma ranks with his Cammy or Sagat but just in terms of mechanics and skills I think anyone would agree Sanford was better. Losing 15% of your health to Gouken's parry sucks.

Pandaman said:

Chris Hu's Sakura> Shine's Gouken>Sanford's Akuma?

It's a little more complicated than that.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
FindMyFarms said:
Sanford's akuma was waayyy worsee. In the grand scheme of things though, sanford downloading shine resulted in grand finals sweep.
well yea, zero ground game vs a sagat will do that, but 'i'll get him in losers finals' is only a good mentality to have after you've already lost.

He was back jump roundhousing randomly and throwing anti-air fireballs randomly. Watch again and check out how many fireballs are complete guesses that whiff. Did he get some right? Definitely. But they were not on reaction.. I'll give him that he followed up with a palm when he could. Still, for the most part you could just see him trying to get an EX bar so he could throw out an EX fireball and pray Sanford jumped into it. I'm not Sanford fan and I don't know how his Akuma ranks with his Cammy or Sagat but just in terms of mechanics and skills I think anyone would agree Sanford was better. Losing 15% of your health to Gouken's parry sucks.
*shrugs*

street fighters pretty famous for its 'it doesn't matter how you win as long as you're winning' mentality. Being 'the best and most technical' helps a lot in mirror matches i guess.

DryEyeRelief said:
Chris Hu's Sakura> Shine's Gouken>Sanford's Akuma?

It's a little more complicated than that.
congratulations on your stunning insight, you probably don't realize that you've agreed with me but you will in time.

Timedog said:
Why doesn't yours work? Have we even played each other yet?

I think it's the graphic card. I wish I had a spare lying around to swap it out and test. Such a pain in the rear.

No, we haven't played each other. But you'd probably be pissed, as I only use the Saikyo style now a days.

I have to tell you guys I whored out and bought the costume packs for PSN. I bought the limited edition, so I couldn't just buy the cheaper all costume pack.

And despite how good his Gouken was, for a 15-year old, Shine got mad people hyped yesterday.

And did you see the 15-hit combo Sanford did with Akuma in the first game. That was hella crazy. Yeah, not sure why Sanford lost.

Let me ask, do you think it's better to master one character or like Sanford, have several characters you're really good at?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
DryEyeRelief said:
You must also think Justin Wong's best character is Fei Long.
against Ryu, probably.

Spiderjericho said:
Let me ask, do you think it's better to master one character or like Sanford, have several characters you're really good at?
Sanfords style, but it depends on the player. If you can do it and care enough to dedicate the time, you should.

I tend to have better overall results grinding one character though.

At the end of the day, Sanford was worse than Shine in their first meeting. But here's why :

When someone's playing random and spamming stuff, you have to just sit back, play safe and let them dig themselves into a hole instead of trying to bully your way in because you WILL get hit if you're reckless.

Playing reckless with 850 life akuma against a random volatile player = um, you're going to lose every time.

Play safe and the other player will kill himself for you.

Edit - with regards to mastering a character, you just get diminishing returns at a certain point.

Taking your main from a "7" to an "8" takes the same amount of time as bringing like 3 other characters from a "1" to a "5". Taking your main from 8 to 9, and 9 to 10 is even more time consuming.

So depending on how much you play the game, or how serious you are, there's certain matchups where you're like, do I really wanna take the time go from a 7 to 8 with my main so I can cover all my bad matchups, or just counterpick certain characters with a 5 which would take a fraction of the time.

Spiderjericho said:

It probably depends on whether you're like Mike Ross who mains someone with horrible matchups with common characters or Daigo with a character with no bad matchups.

I think it's better to stick with one though.

Pandaman said:
against Ryu, probably.

congratulations on your stunning insight, you probably don't realize that you've agreed with me but you will in time.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
DryEyeRelief said:
And in time you'll realize that you never disagreed with me at all and were a little too quick on the asshattery draw. its okay though, i never expected much from you.

Pandaman said:
And in time you'll realize that you never disagreed with me at all and were a little too quick on the asshattery draw. its okay though, i never expected much from you.

Careful with those direct insults there. You might get out of control again. :lol

Top Bottom