• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Leunam said:
Maybe he's playing him for the same reason Mago has a card for Abel.

Why is that? I really hope Daigo starts picking only Sagat. Actually, I hope that every player in Japan + Justin Wong and Alex Valle pick only Sagat.

Leunam

Timedog said:
Why is that? I really hope Daigo starts picking only Sagat. Actually, I hope that every player in Japan + Justin Wong and Alex Valle pick only Sagat.

Mago had a card for Abel so he could learn what the character is capable of. Then again, it it a bit late in the game for Daigo to be trying to figure out what Sagat can do.

black_vegeta said:
It does seem to be the "in-thing" nowadays.

Even I'm learning Sagat!

DR2K

Banned
Killa Sasa said:
Wow...that was ridiculous. Insane fireballing.

That's like Daigo being black suit spider-man or something, it doesn't feel right. eeeeeeeeeevil is afoot...

Sagat isn't that much different than Rooo.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
TurtleSnatcher said:
Whenever is fine.. No idea why people are 'hyped' Its not like its being recorded...

Unless TimeDog can fraps.. My machine isn't exactly ace on PC SF4.
One guy is talking shit, another guy looks to put him in his place. DRAMA.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Hitokage said:
One guy is talking shit, another guy looks to put him in his place. DRAMA.

Hahaha, the only thing I did was refute that Turtle ever "destroyed" me, which he got upset about. I never talked shit or claimed I was better than him. I am actually terrible vs all the characters he plays!

Also, what is fraps? maybe my machine could record the matches?

MIMIC said:
I made a little amateur tutorial when I could only get 2 hits. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROYv8AFt404

Are you using a stick or a pad? I can do the RSF using the analog stick on the 360 pad so I guess the same concepts apply.

Also, I learned that using a pad and trying to do a "run, stop xx fierce" move (or something similar), your finger MUST either slide from the run button (which would be "stop" in this case) to the fierce button OR you must use two different fingers entirely: 1 for stop and the other for fierce.

Trying to press stop and then fierce with the same finger (and still combo) is pretty much impossible....at least that's how I found it. This is important when trying to do other "run, stop" moves (like "run stop c.MK" or "run stop corpse hop") or if you wish to map your button configuration differently than mine.

I'm using a stick with the normal button layout, so I don't think I can do the sliding method.

I've been randomly getting two hits against Ryu in training. The rhythm definitely helped me get the pauses between each jab down(thank you for the video). I suppose the key at this point is correctly pressing jab~fierce so I don't get the grab or the dream crushing blocked fierce.

Timedog said:
Hahaha, the only thing I did was refute that Turtle ever "destroyed" me, which he got upset about. I never talked shit or claimed I was better than him. I am actually terrible vs all the characters he plays!

Also, what is fraps? maybe my machine could record the matches?
Fraps is a recording program or something.. I have no idea how to use it nor have ever installed it.

Leunam

I've used Fraps when I was recording stuff for FFXI. It bogged down my computer just having it open, nevermind actually recording anything.

TurtleSnatcher said:
Eh I can't do it consistently and if you don't have 100% execution it actually becomes a negative more then a positive..

Its FiercexxRun (pause brief second) StopXXFierce

You gotta get that pausing down or else you will..

A - To be far away to continue the chain any longer then 2/3
B - Do a fajita buster.

Maybe the pausing really was the problem. I've been more successful now by varying the timings instead of paying attention to jab~fierce.

MIMIC

Banned
DryEyeRelief said:
I'm using a stick with the normal button layout, so I don't think I can do the sliding method.

I've been randomly getting two hits against Ryu in training. The rhythm definitely helped me get the pauses between each jab down(thank you for the video). I suppose the key at this point is correctly pressing jab~fierce so I don't get the grab or the dream crushing blocked fierce.

Exactly. Getting the timing down for jab~fierce is what you want to master.

And from fooling around in training mode, I've found that a standing Ryu (that hasn't been crumpled by a Focus Attack) is pretty tricky to get a 3+ RSF combo against. For some reason, your timing on the 2nd hit has to be EXTRA perfect when trying to do it against him. The execution varies from character to character. For Ryu, if I get the 2nd hit, I can get 5 hits if I'm lucky. For Sakura, I can get 8.

That 2nd hit, for most characters (if not all), determines how many MORE hits you can do. You'll soon see what I mean about the importance of the timing of the 2nd hit.

The most I've ever done in an actual match, however, is 4+slide. And when you're comfortable with the RSF, you can be really flashy and cancel the RSF into Fuerte's Super. :)

SF2 The Beginning

Buddy linked me this video, really cool. 8 part series. The last minute or two of part 1 is pretty astounding, when Jeff Schaeffer is saying how Mike Watson would get an auto win if he connected with ONE blocked scissors kick. In this version Bison was the best char by far, but yet Tomo was able to avoid getting hit by a single kick whenever he played Mike.

Pretty cool stuff.

MIMIC said:
Exactly. Getting the timing down for jab~fierce is what you want to master.

And from fooling around in training mode, I've found that a standing Ryu (that hasn't been crumpled by a Focus Attack) is pretty tricky to get a 3+ RSF combo against. For some reason, your timing on the 2nd hit has to be EXTRA perfect when trying to do it against him. The execution varies from character to character. For Ryu, if I get the 2nd hit, I can get 5 hits if I'm lucky. For Sakura, I can get 8.

That 2nd hit, for most characters (if not all), determines how many MORE hits you can do. You'll soon see what I mean about the importance of the timing of the 2nd hit.

The most I've ever done in an actual match, however, is 4+slide. And when you're comfortable with the RSF, you can be really flashy and cancel the RSF into Fuerte's Super. :)

It's probably a combination, if my fierce is blocked then I ran too long or the time between stop and fierce was too long.

But that seems to be closer the ideal loop than getting the grab.

Getting the rhythm will probably come with muscle memory and grinding.

You're right about the characters though. Gief is way easier than Ryu. But I have to hope get 2 hits consistently before anything else. Baby steps.

Speaking of random, I played this flowchart Ken on the PC today, but this guy is like the best flowchart Ken I've ever faced. The guy was slamming SRK motions like a nutcase, but only in certain situations. It was like he was a flowchart, but he was kind of smart about it. Whenever I jumped over him when he did a F+MK, I immediately got hit by a SRK before I landed. He kept spamming overheads, but somehow he was psychic enough to DP my pokes. And I got hit a number of times by a EX SRK/HP SRK after a whiff LP SRK because I thought I had enough time to sweep or throw him.

I beat him 5-1, but so many rounds were close. If it wasn't for the fact that he can't block cross ups, I think he would have won more. This guy was nuts, with his DP spam. He spammed DP's, but he was smart enough to not make it a pattern so that I could get easy punishes. I got plenty of them in, but not as much as you would think when you hear "flowchart Ken". He finally beat me in the 5th match and I decide to pick Ken and had probably my most convincing victory in the 6th match. Then the guy never came back. Good stuff, I would love to play him again :lol

"SF2 The Beginning

Buddy linked me this video, really cool. 8 part series. The last minute or two of part 1 is pretty astounding, when Jeff Schaeffer is saying how Mike Watson would get an auto win if he connected with ONE blocked scissors kick. In this version Bison was the best char by far, but yet Tomo was able to avoid getting hit by a single kick whenever he played Mike.

Pretty cool stuff."

I love hearing about the beginning of competitive Street Fighter. Tomo, especially, since he has that whole aura of legend around him and there's like no tournament footage of him.

Teknopathetic said:
"SF2 The Beginning

Pretty cool stuff."

I love hearing about the beginning of competitive Street Fighter. Tomo, especially, since he has that whole aura of legend around him and there's like no tournament footage of him.

Yeah. I'm enjoying the series a lot. Jeff's a great storyteller.

One part that made me shake my head is how he said he felt so old at 24, and he had to quit because his reaction times weren't as good anymore.

MIMIC

Banned
Rice-Eater said:
Speaking of random, I played this flowchart Ken on the PC today, but this guy is like the best flowchart Ken I've ever faced. The guy was slamming SRK motions like a nutcase, but only in certain situations. It was like he was a flowchart, but he was kind of smart about it. Whenever I jumped over him when he did a F+MK, I immediately got hit by a SRK before I landed. He kept spamming overheads, but somehow he was psychic enough to DP my pokes. And I got hit a number of times by a EX SRK/HP SRK after a whiff LP SRK because I thought I had enough time to sweep or throw him.

I beat him 5-1, but so many rounds were close. If it wasn't for the fact that he can't block cross ups, I think he would have won more. This guy was nuts, with his DP spam. He spammed DP's, but he was smart enough to not make it a pattern so that I could get easy punishes. I got plenty of them in, but not as much as you would think when you hear "flowchart Ken". He finally beat me in the 5th match and I decide to pick Ken and had probably my most convincing victory in the 6th match. Then the guy never came back. Good stuff, I would love to play him again :lol

I played a Ken just like that. I typed a long post....but I've decided to just leave it at that. :)

"Yeah. I'm enjoying the series a lot. Jeff's a great storyteller.

One part that made me shake my head is how he said he felt so old at 24, and he had to quit because his reaction times weren't as good anymore."

Sounds a lot of Korean Starcraft.

Teknopathetic said:
"Yeah. I'm enjoying the series a lot. Jeff's a great storyteller.

One part that made me shake my head is how he said he felt so old at 24, and he had to quit because his reaction times weren't as good anymore."

Sounds a lot of Korean Starcraft.

How ironic. You catch part 8b of the series yet?

"How ironic. You catch part 8b of the series yet?"

Haha, yes, I had to got to that.

Holy shit at him name dropping Case's Ladder. Old School *for real*.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I think we overdid this dude :lol :lol :lol

I was like.. Whoever gets to 5, then to 10, then 15 and finally 20. I seriously had to stop :lol

Top notch games really. I felt like I had to think a bit more with you. Fucking Vega's range =P.

"Fucking Warcraft 2 Kali Khan Heat.net and MSN Gaming Zone is what I remember :)"

Shiiieeet. You forgot Mplayer, TEN, *and* WON.

I was alluponz some Heat.net, though. Playing the fuck out of Plane Crazy and Quake 2, but I was playing Quake 2 with just the demo but the game still let you join full servers, you just had no real textures, only checkerboard placeholder shit.

Oh man.

Zapages

FindMyFarms said:
SF2 The Beginning

Pretty cool stuff.

Great video...

I was on youtube found Diago get perfected by Jeff... O_O

Video 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9YyLKWbiXk

Video 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEcEM2apkGo&feature=related

Video 3: (Diago using Sagat) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al_A9Hp-NgY&feature=related

Video 4: Diago using M. Bison (Dictator): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF51PZn0vks&feature=related

Video 5: Diago using Dee Jay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5hXOCZtCOs&feature=related

Video 6: Diago using Balrog (Boxer): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktX619SYjkk&feature=related

And to think Jeff hadn't played for months/years when he ran those matches with daigo. Imagining a prime Jeff, or even a prime Tomo boggles the mind. I wonder if Japan had players that could've competed with those two in their prime.

Top Bottom