• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official UFC 100 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
SolidSnakex said:
This simply isn't bad for the sport. For a very long time the biggest draw in PPV was Mike Tyson, and his rep and what he said was significantly worse than anything Brock said. But sponsors couldn't wait to line up to support his fights because he drew so much attention. This isn't golf or tennis, people aren't expecting gentleman when they tune into a sport where your goal is to knock the shit out of someone.

Yes, I'm absolutely sure that sponsors pay millions of dollars to get bad-mouthed by the headliners of the shows they're sponsoring.

Slizz

Zeliard said:
Does anyone who watched Cain vs. Kongo really think that Cain stands a chance vs Lesnar?

i hope not, the problem is name another heavyweight lol. you cant, randy??? no. who the fuck is gonna fight HW other than fedor?

Boogie

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Am I the only person seeing the Tito Ortiz "Gay Mezger" photo that was posted?

Brock isn't anything different, and Dana and the UFC don't give a shit. Maybe he'll not trash a sponsor in the future, but characters are characters, and it's better to have some people be a giant dick than to have everyone be a generic fight machine.

There is a HUGE difference between Tito Ortiz shitting on a defeated opponent, and Brock Lesnar shitting on THE BIGGEST SPONSOR THAT THE UFC HAS BEEN ABLE TO ACQUIRE.

If you cannot understand the difference, I feel that is simply due to your pro-wrestling background.

WickedAngel said:
Yes, I'm absolutely sure that sponsors pay millions of dollars to get bad-mouthed by the headliners of the shows they're sponsoring.

Do you think that they're no longer going to support the UFC? I highly doubt it, especially considering how big a draw this PPV was supposed to be.

SolidSnakex said:
Do you think that they're no longer going to support the UFC? I highly doubt it, especially considering how big a draw this PPV was supposed to be.

How the Hell would I know?

The point is that it's not something you put to chance.

dem

Boogie said:
There is a HUGE difference between Tito Ortiz shitting on a defeated opponent, and Brock Lesnar shitting on THE BIGGEST SPONSOR THAT THE UFC HAS BEEN ABLE TO ACQUIRE.

If you cannot understand the difference, I feel that is simply due to your pro-wrestling background.

don't be a jerkoff

the sponsor crap was extremely dumb.. but it will blow over..

MrOctober

Banned
That's because he lost a lot, not because he has an attitude.

I think a common problem with the critiques of Brock are that it's so easy to say that Brock is the UFC, but he's not. He's his own person doing his own stupid thing, and the UFC will capitalize on that. Dana will have no problem saying "this dude is a loose cannon, he doesn't represent me or the UFC, but check it out, he's fighting next month and you can pay to watch him eat his words!"

This isn't true Dana White said he was simply out of the Tito Ortiz business after his contract was up. He could have won his last 5 fights in a row it wouldn't have changed anything.

SyNapSe

Boogie said:
Initial (and drunken) thoughts:

That being said, I was impressed with Alves' resiliency and cardio. After the first two rounds, I was expecting Alves to wilt, in comparison to Fitch. Instead, he did better than Fitch against GSP, with good cardio and attempts at pressure to the end.

Alves was a monster in defeat. A lot of guys wilt under something like that, at the start of the 3rd round he was still pacing back and forth. Much respect, he was a warrior in that fight. He looked like conditioning wise he could have gone more rounds too.

Boogie said:

both are pretty classless moves and both will not effect the future of the UFC in any way. UFC is too big a cash cow.

The pro wrestling comment it pretty ignorant.

agrajag

Banned
There's kind of a rubber match to promote here. It's not like the heavyweight division is stacked.

Uh, so what about the fight right before with GSP vs Alves where GSP proved technique beats brute force?

Yeah, but GSP is the best of the best. There's no guy like GSP in the heavyweight division. And Alves didn't have a massive physical advantage over GSP like Brock did over Mir.

Fafnir

Ripclawe said:
2iiwwtx.gif

azcvm8.gif

Quoting for awesomeness

Slizz

the mere fact that people are talking heel, and good guys in the ufc is ridiculous. if that was the case chuck lidell would not have been KO'ed his last fights man. you wanna win in the UFC? you earn it.

Boogie

Kabuki Waq said:
Boogie is complaining more about pissing off the sponsor than anything else. Not making the sport look bad yadda yadda.

I mean really the classless way that a lot of the TUF competitors act is pretty bad as well.

True, in a way.

Lesnar flipping off the crowd = Tito's classles shit.

Lesnar shitting on the sponser, however, has no equal in UFC history or Dana White's eyes. Whether there will be fallout on that point remains to be seen.

Zeliard said:
Mir can't handle much adversity in fights (outside of them, sure). He tends to get rattled fairly quickly when he's getting beaten down. When you combine that with his poor cardio, the guy's fights almost never go the distance.

Also very true. Mir has never been known as someone to come back from adversity. This is evident from the stats that most of his wins have come in the first round.

Grecco

Brock already apologized to Bud, you think Dana already didnt smooth this over? Bud will sponsor the next PPV, theres really little so see here.

TheDuce22

Banned
What Brock did was pure showmanship. It was actually very smart. Check out the interview.

http://www.ufc.com/BrockLesnar

Henderson on the other hand landed that blow, looked down and saw he was out cold/not defending himself then delivered another massive blow, THAT is bad sportsmanship and should result in a suspension, maybe even a banning. He could have killed the guy.

Grecco said:
Brock already apologized to Bud, you think Dana already didnt smooth this over? Bud will sponsor the next PPV, theres really little so see here.

Apologizing on a post-fight interview that few people watched isn't quite the same as bad mouthing a sponsor live after the most advertised fight of a card.

Boogie

BigJonsson said:
If the UFC does have an event in Toronto @ the Rogers Centre, it will be the craziest audience ever for an MMA event in North Amereica, I really hope it happens

FUCK YEAH.

Unfortunately, MMA remains illegal in Ontario, thanks to that fucktard Ken Hayashi.

But if/when UFC Toronto happens, I will help to organize the BIGGEST MMA PARTY/GET TOGETHER GAF CAN MANAGE. Nothing will keep me from partying hard with Toronto's GAF MMA fans. :D

MrOctober

Banned
Grecco said:

Except an idiot bringing down my favorite sport.

Slizz

TheDuce22 said:
What Brock did was pure showmanship. It was actually very smart. Check out the interview.

http://www.ufc.com/BrockLesnar

Henderson on the other hand landed that blow, looked down and saw he was out cold/not defending himself then delivered another massive blow, THAT is bad sportsmanship and should result in a suspension, maybe even a banning. He could have killed the guy.

lol, do you watch UFC? you dont stop until the ref is literally forcing you to. look at almost 75% of KO's in the UFC and tell me theres not more than 1 hit after the initial KO.

EDIT: look at UFC1 gracie doesnt let go of his choke to win the whole thing until everyones good and ready to recognize what he did. the guy tapped gracie's arm more than once, tapped the mat, the ref stepped in and gracie still didnt stop, so is gracie a bad sport?

Zeliard

Fedor has to end up in the UFC eventually, especially after Brock just called him out, which he hadn't done in the past. Dana White may be a douchebag, but he isn't an idiot. Brock Lesnar vs Fedor Emelianenko would generate some massive numbers if the UFC can market Fedor right, which shouldn't be difficult (unstoppable Russian fighter is somewhat of an archetype).

Boogie

I think a common problem with the critiques of Brock are that it's so easy to say that Brock is the UFC, but he's not. He's his own person doing his own stupid thing, and the UFC will capitalize on that. Dana will have no problem saying "this dude is a loose cannon, he doesn't represent me or the UFC, but check it out, he's fighting next month and you can pay to watch him eat his words!"

That is a good point, and pretty much the only angle that Dana can pursue without punishing Brock.

But it still weakens the UFC to an extent, suggesting that he can walk away at any point and take his popularity, and the UFC belt and credibility, with him to another promotion.

TheDuce22

Banned
Slizz said:
lol, do you watch UFC? you dont stop until the ref is literally forcing you to. look at almost 75% of KO's in the UFC and tell me theres not more than 1 hit after the initial KO.

He admited he knew the guy was out. Also alot of times they take something off of their punches.

MrOctober

Banned
TheDuce22 said:

I sort of agree that Henderson went too far but really you go until the ref stops you. If the dude doesn't tap he gets his arm broken, if the ref doesn't see a guy tap and then he gets free because you loosened up that's on you. In the same way Hendo has thrown that flying elbow before. It's the ref's job to stop you when you are in the cage.

Zeliard said:
Fedor has to end up in the UFC eventually, especially after Brock just called him out, which he hadn't done in the past. Dana White may be a douchebag, but he isn't an idiot. Brock Lesnar vs Fedor Emelianenko would generate some massive numbers if the UFC can market Fedor right, which shouldn't be difficult (unstoppable Russian fighter is somewhat of an archetype).
Do you know how many times Couture called Fedor out? Fedor doesn't have a ego, he doesn't give a shit, and he doesn't want to sign with the UFC.

Slizz said:

EDIT: look at UFC1 gracie doesnt let go of his choke to win the whole thing until everyones good and ready to recognize what he did. the guy tapped gracie's arm more than once, tapped the mat, the ref stepped in and gracie still didnt stop, so is gracie a bad sport?

Kind of...he admitted that he held it long on purpose because the guy bit him earlier in the fight.

Slizz

TheDuce22 said:
He admited he knew the guy was out. Also alot of times they take something off of their punches.

i understand, but still. adrenaline. when you win, you want everyone to know you did. most fighters hate the decision, they would rather win decisively

Boogie

dem said:
don't be a jerkoff

the sponsor crap was extremely dumb.. but it will blow over..

Dumb? Yes.

Blown over? That remains to be seen.

SyNapSe said:
Alves was a monster in defeat. A lot of guys wilt under something like that, at the start of the 3rd round he was still pacing back and forth. Much respect, he was a warrior in that fight. He looked like conditioning wise he could have gone more rounds too.

Yes, absolutely. I absolutely expected GSP to win tonight, but Alves performed admirably in the face of the King of the WW division.

At this point, the WW division CLEARLY looks something like this:

1. GSP

2/3. Alves/Fitch. (who is above whom, who knows at this point, but there is a HUGE GAP between them and GSP)

4-10. Everyone else.

Grecco

WickedAngel said:
Apologizing on a post-fight interview that few people watched isn't quite the same as bad mouthing a sponsor live after the most advertised fight of a card.

If its cleared up behind the scenes. Does it matter? Not really.

SyNapSe

Zeliard said:

I don't think it would be that marketable of a fight at all. At least to the average UFC fan.. neither guy is a big pre-fight hype guy.

MrOctober

Banned
BamYouHaveAids said:
Do you know how many times Couture called Fedor out? Fedor doesn't have a ego, he doesn't give a shit and he doesn't want to sign with the UFC.

Unfortunately this is true. Fedor has said he doesn't care about being the best he fights to feed his family and he happens to be good at it.

Zeliard said:

Yeah but Dana also isn't going to want to take the chance of Fedor coming to the UFC and beating Brock only to leave to fight somewhere else. That's why he wants that lockdown contract. And while it would certainly be a big draw, at this point Brock vs anyone is going to be a major draw. Brock seems to be doing exactly what Dana had hoped, and that's bring in wrestling fans.

MrOctober said:
Except an idiot bringing down my favorite sport.

he is not bringing anything down. One man cant bring down a whole sport on its own. unless that sport was shit to begin with. Boogie is concerned with sponser support while you seem to think Brock will single handedly bring down the sport. In reality as the long as the fights stay as enternaining and intense as they are i dont think UFC is ever going down.

Slizz

SyNapSe said:
I don't think it would be that marketable of a fight at all. At least to the average UFC fan.. neither guy is a big pre-fight hype guy.

true, but you cant name another HW in the UFC that you think could even give brock a chance. HW division is almost as thin as boxings HW division which is pretty crazy to say, but true.

charsace

People said Ali and Tyson were bad for boxing. Ali took boxing to another level. Boxing has seriously gone down hill since Tyson's run as an elite fighter ended in the 90's.

Brock's winning will help push the UFC even further into the mainstream.

Grecco said:
If its cleared up behind the scenes. Does it matter? Not really.

Do you have any perspective whatsoever? It's not "cleared up". The million or so people that just saw him bad mouth the brand didn't see him "clear it up" in that post-event interview.

We might never hear another thing about it but you can bet your ass that it's not cleared up as far as Budweiser is concerned. I guarantee you that Dana White was on the phone about this shit tonight.

Boogie

Kabuki Waq said:
both are pretty classless moves and both will not effect the future of the UFC in any way. UFC is too big a cash cow.

The pro wrestling comment it pretty ignorant.

Yes, the UFC is too big to be seriously harmed by Lesnar's comments.

But how in God's name is the pro wrestling comment ignorant? We have people in this thread (Liu Kang ABSOLUTELY among them) who have come, first and foremost, from a pro wrestling background, and said background colours their view of MMA. I firmly believe that they need to, on occasion, be reminded that MMA IS NOT FUCKING PRO-WRESTLING and that the norms and rules of pro-wrestling do not necessarily apply.

So too fucking bad if you think my comment was "ignorant".

Zeliard

BamYouHaveAids said:
Do you know how many times Couture called Fedor out? Fedor doesn't have a ego, he doesn't give a shit and he doesn't want to sign with the UFC.

Yeah, and Fedor really wanted to fight Couture. The only reason he didn't, and isn't in the UFC right now, is because Dana White offered him an impossible contract. I just believe he'll eventually relent once he sees how silly it is to keep Fedor out of the UFC. It's all on Dana.

SyNapSe said:

The marketing wouldn't come from any pre-fight smack-talking. It would be the marketing of two seemingly unstoppable fighters going up against each other. That's where the hype would be generated from. They'd market it as a fight of the century type deal.

Slizz

Boogie said:
Repeat after me: FEDOR EMELIANENKO.

"UFC" heavyweight division, no. MMA heavyweight division, yes.

lol Boogie look at all my previous posts in this thread. lets form an alliance.

MrOctober

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:
he is not bringing anything down. One man cant bring down a whole sport on its own. unless that sport was shit to begin with. Boogie is concerned with sponser support while you seem to think Brock will single handedly bring down the sport. In reality as the long as the fights stay as enternaining and intense as they are i dont think UFC is ever going down.

I didn't say he's bringing the entire sport crumbling to the ground but yes one man can bring anything down a peg. Especially if said one man holds the fucking belt and fights on main events. I don't like to see the sport tarnished at all.

Boogie

Kabuki Waq said:

This is, also, a good point. I don't believe that Brock will "bring down the UFC" due to his post-fight antics. I just think he's a fucking idiot for doing so.

WickedAngel said:
Do you have any perspective whatsoever? It's not "cleared up". The million or so people that just saw him bad mouth the brand didn't see him "clear it up" in that post-event interview.

We might never hear another thing about it but you can bet your ass that it's not cleared up as far as Budweiser is concerned. I guarantee you that Dana White was on the phone about this shit tonight.

Ya, Wicked, you also bring up some good points. Which is to say, Grecco seems to be talking out of his ass. It is far to early to say what the fallout might be from Brock's shit-talking of sponsors.

charsace

Some of you are looking at things too narrow. If you want to KO Lesnar now for the way he acts you would want to put a hit out on him if he acted anything like Ali.

The fact that guys are on here talking about Lesnar when Henderson could have killed Bisping with millions of people watching shows how big of a deal Lesnar is.

Boogie

Zeliard said:
Yeah, and Fedor really wanted to fight Couture. The only reason he didn't, and isn't in the UFC right now, is because Dana White offered him an impossible contract. I just believe he'll eventually relent once he sees how silly it is to keep Fedor out of the UFC. It's all on Dana.

Disagree.

Fedor has some loopy fucking managers too. Who, in my humble opinion, absolutely DO NOT have Fedor's best interest at heart, but rather their own promotional interests at the heart of their actions.

Slizz

charsace said:
Some of you are looking at things too narrow. If you want to KO Lesnar now for the way he acts you would want to put a hit out on him if he acted anything like Ali.

The fact that guys are on here talking about Lesnar when Henderson could have killed Bisping with millions of people watching shows how big of a deal Lesnar is.

i dunno. theres been more vicious knockouts, than what happened between hendo and bisping. i cant remember who it was, but recently some guy was out on his feet......pretty sure it was koschek that did the KO, but dude was out on his feet an got an extra, FULL-FORCE punches before he was knocked out on the ground.

MrOctober

Banned
Boogie said:
Disagree.

Fedor has some loopy fucking managers too. Who, in my humble opinion, absolutely DO NOT have Fedor's best interest at heart, but rather their own promotional interests at the heart of their actions.

Seriously I never heard anything about some impossible contract from the UFC, if anything the sambo clause or whatever in Fedor's would be the biggest factor.

agrajag

Banned
Boogie said:
Repeat after me: FEDOR EMELIANENKO.

"UFC" heavyweight division, no. MMA heavyweight division, yes.

Fedor is not in the UFC though and a Fedor vs. Brock fight is highly unlikely. I know all about Fedor, who are you kidding. He's my fucking countryman.

sefskillz said:
:lol awesome. can't believe they didnt show it (or we didnt catch it) on the ppv. we had prop bets going on whether he would or not and we had to kill the bets since we couldn't tell

They definitely didn't show it. I kept watching for it but they kept the camera on Mir and Brock during their intros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom