• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official UFC 100 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grecco

dem said:
Really... is Brock THAT bad...

REALLY??

tito_bitch.jpg

The True UFC Heel. /bow

MrOctober said:
Alright so that is pushing it since I'm just raging right now. But really what about my point about all other professional sports? Is this not a professional sport?

You wrote something a bit over the top because you are filled with emotion really .....

yes thats not ironic at all.

Zeliard

Boogie said:
Initial (and drunken) thoughts:

GSP

He is the man at 170lbs. The UFC needs to stop with the "Matt Hughes is the most dominant welterweight of all times" shit. GSP owns all.

That being said, I was impressed with Alves' resiliency and cardio. After the first two rounds, I was expecting Alves to wilt, in comparison to Fitch. Instead, he did better than Fitch against GSP, with good cardio and attempts at pressure to the end.

That being said, GSP still dismantled him, even with a pulled groin halfway through the fight. And the only offensive Alves mounted was due to GSP getting bored with laying on top of him and punching him and trying to finish it with an armbar.

GSP owns the WW division. If you think that either Kampmann or Swick stands a snowball's chance in hell against GSP, you need to check yourself into a psychiatric ward ASAP.

The most impressive part of GSP's performance tonight to me was how picture perfect his takedown shots were. The VERY MOMENT Alves planted his feet to throw strikes, GSP was already DEEP into a takedown shot and planted Alves on his back. Absolutely flawless. That douchebag a couple of pages back who thought the fight was "boring" should just stop pretending to be a fan of MMA. Because there is no way that watching a GSP fight, even a dominating performance such as this one, should be thought of as boring.

At this point, even injured, GSP is an artist in his fights, painting a masterful performance that can be appreciated even if his opponent never had a gawdamned chance, much like Fedor.

(part II to come in a minute)

GSP's timing on takedowns is unreal. That's how he was able to take Alves down so many times, rather than it being mostly strength or even technique. He just timed them so perfectly - Alves would throw a strike, and GSP would take that miniscule window of opportunity and use Alves' off-balance to take him down. He did that like 10 times. Ridiculous.

MrOctober

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:
You wrote something a bit over the top because you are filled with emotion really .....

yes thats not ironic at all.

How does that take away from my point about sportsmanship and professionalism? Seriously what if a baseball player did that? What would happen to him?

dem

MrOctober said:
How does that take away from my point about sportsmanship and professionalism? Seriously what if a baseball player did that? What would happen to him?

The UFC is not baseball...

Look towards boxing..

MrOctober

Banned
dem said:
The UFC is not baseball...

Look towards boxing..

Well then let's bring back head butts and allow biting and bullshit like that. This a sport like anything else and Dana is working hard to legitimize it so it's not seen as "human cock fighting".

RBH

MrOctober said:
It's fucking laughable that Dana White thinks this sport will be the biggest sport in the world in 10 years when he has a fucking idiot like Brock Lesnar parading a complete lack of respect around the octagon. That was the most unsportsmanlike bullshit I've ever seen. I haven't missed a UFC in 9 years and I've never hated anyone like I hate Lesnar. If you actually like Lesnar you hate this sport, that's fact. The fact that some gutter trash redneck won the genetic lottery and throws it in the face of real fighters makes me want to puke. This a sport first and foremost, this isn't a dick measuring contest you fucking scum cunt. There is no justice in this world, there is no such thing as karma. The fact that Lesnar holds the belt makes me hate everything I see. If I had any balls I would boycott any event Brock is fighting in. If bandwagon fans and complete idiots are making the UFC more money by watching this travesty of a human being than I wish I wasn't a fan.

Could you imagine if a professional baseball player ever flipped off a stadium full of people and talked shit about a sponsor not paying him? He would be seriously suspended and fined up the ass. On a related note I will forever only buy Bud Light so nice one asshole. I usually like Dana but he was giggling like a fucking school girl when he put that belt on Brock. He was all but mouthing "cha-ching" in that octagon. I'm so happy the fans booed. I feel like Joe Rogan should have refused to interview him after, I would have. If I read tomorrow that Brock was in a crippling car accident on the way home and he will never walk again or have feeling below his neck I will simultaneously laugh myself stupid and sport a raging boner that could fuck holes in concrete.

WE FUCKING NEED FEDOR NOW MORE THAN EVER!!!!!
baby_crying_closeup.jpg

MrOctober said:

Baseball is not nearly as intense and fierce a sport. UFC after weeks of trashtalking two guy are put in cage to basically KO each other in some way.

dem

MrOctober said:
Well then let's bring back head butts and allow biting and bullshit like that. This a sport like anything else and Dana is working hard to legitimize it so it's not seen as "human cock fighting".

A guy talking trash is not in any way equal to biting.

He talked trash. So fucking what? What the hell is the big deal?

Why is it ok to say whatever you want BEFORE the fight.. but after you have to shake hands and give hugs? Thats the worst part about BJ Penn.

MrOctober said:

it is Not like anything else.

Boogie

Brock Lesnar is a fucking bitch.

Yeah, he owned Mir. And I'm terribly disappointed in Mir for his lackluster performance. But who didn't see this result, truly? I expected it, but hoped against it.

But in his postfight actions, Lesnar revealed himself as the ultimate jackass.

Let me be clear: I don't give a flying fuck if he's just playing the "heel" like he was taught in WWE. Yeah, he flipped off the crowd. But he also shit all over the most mainstream sponsor that Dana had been able to attract in the UFC's rise.

Dana made a HUGE deal about getting Bud Light onboard. And for Lesnar to shit all over them like he did, there will be consequences. Lesnar may have leverage as the champ, but he still shit all over Dana's hard work, and if there is anything we know about the UFC, it is that you DO NOT SHIT ON DANA WHITE'S HARD WORK.

Couture was champion too, when he outright walked away. How did that work out for him? So Lesnar should take heed.

As for actual matchup potential, I PRAY TO ALMIGHTY GOD that after Fedor smashes Barnett (which he will), that somehow, someway, the UFC is able to sign the #1 heavyweight in the world, for the sole purpose of smashing Brock Lesnar into a bloody pulp.

Because, even in beating Frank Mir, I saw little in Brock Lesnar to suggest that he deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Fedor.

Brock Lesnar has his physical gifts, his wrestling skill, and heavy hands. That does not make him the equal to Fedor Emelianenko. Lesnar may be ranked #2 or #3 in the world after this fight, but there is a HUGE FUCKING GAP between him and the God of MMA.

Please Dana, find a way to sign Fedor after he smashes Barnett, just to humiliate the jackass that is Brock Lesnar.

Boogie

Zeliard said:
GSP's timing on takedowns is unreal. That's how he was able to take Alves down so many times, rather than it being mostly strength or even technique. He just timed them so perfectly - Alves would throw a strike, and GSP would take that miniscule window of opportunity and use Alves' off-balance to take him down. He did that like 10 times. Ridiculous.

EXACTLY. It was absolutely beautiful to watch.

It was funny how scared Joe Rogan looked to be in the octagon next to Brock after the fight. I've never seen him intimidated to be standing next to a guy before.

They're going to replay that hilarious shot of Brock slobbering all over the place and yelling in front of the cage for the rest of his career.

Boogie

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
It was funny how scared Joe Rogan looked to be in the octagon next to Brock after the fight. I've never seen him intimidated to be standing next to a guy before.

Yes, I did laugh at that image.

They're going to replay that hilarious shot of Brock slobbering all over the place and yelling in front of the cage for the rest of his career.

and yes, I did nearly vomit at that image.

dem said:

Why is it ok to say whatever you want BEFORE the fight.. but after you have to shake hands and give hugs? Thats the worst part about BJ Penn.
Because before the fight you're trying to promote the fight and generate sales. After the fight there is no point to trashing you're opponent at all. You brought up boxing just take look at it's biggest heel, Mayweather--after fights he is humble, shakes his opponent's hands, and pays respect, because their is no point in acting like a dick; the fight is over you already made your money.

MrOctober

Banned
dem said:

Saying you in no way respect your opponent and then flipping off the entire audience and calling out a sponsor because they won't pay you to mention them is a big deal. It's fucking stupid and tarnishes the sport. This is a legitimate sport in my eyes and therefore people should act like professional sportsman. I don't feel like there should be all kinds of dumb trash talk before the fights either, and I know this is where you guys quote me talking shit about Brock but I'm some nobody on a fucking message board I'm not promoting a major sport at their single biggest event. This was the event to bring in the new crowd and I would certainly not be a fan is my only exposure was the Lesnar fight.

agrajag

Banned
I was surprised that Mir actually did try to keep the fight standing. WTF?

This fight proved once and for all that brute force > technique. I'm so disappointed, not even with MMA, but with the world. Fuck.

Boogie said:

Yeah, he owned Mir. And I'm terribly disappointed in Mir for his lackluster performance. But who didn't see this result, truly? I expected it, but hoped against it.

Let me be clear: I don't give a flying fuck if he's just playing the "heel" like he was taught in WWE. Yeah, he flipped off the crowd. But he also shit all over the most mainstream sponsor that Dana had been able to attract in the UFC's rise.

Dana made a HUGE deal about getting Bud Light onboard. And for Lesnar to shit all over them like he did, there will be consequences. Lesnar may have leverage as the champ, but he still shit all over Dana's hard work, and if there is anything we know about the UFC, it is that you DO NOT SHIT ON DANA WHITE'S HARD WORK.

Couture was champion too, when he outright walked away. How did that work out for him? So Lesnar should take heed.

As for actual matchup potential, I PRAY TO ALMIGHTY GOD that after Fedor smashes Barnett (which he will), that somehow, someway, the UFC is able to sign the #1 heavyweight in the world, for the sole purpose of smashing Brock Lesnar into a bloody pulp.

Because, even in beating Frank Mir, I saw little in Brock Lesnar to suggest that he deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Fedor.

Brock Lesnar has his physical gifts, his wrestling skill, and heavy hands. That does not make him the equal to Fedor Emelianenko. Lesnar may be ranked #2 or #3 in the world after this fight, but there is a HUGE FUCKING GAP between him and the God of MMA.

Please Dana, find a way to sign Fedor after he smashes Barnett, just to humiliate the jackass that is Brock Lesnar.

eh Mir was trashtalking a lot before the fight too only difference was Brock actually took everything seriously. while it was horrible to yell at a guy that you just beat to a pulp i think Dana was pretty happy with the show he put on.

BamYouHaveAids said:
Because before the fight you're trying to promote the fight and generate sales. After the fight there is no point to trashing you're opponent at all.
There's kind of a rubber match to promote here. It's not like the heavyweight division is stacked.

agrajag said:
This fight proved once and for all that brute force > technique. I'm so disappointed, not even with MMA, but with the world. Fuck.
Uh, so what about the fight right before with GSP vs Alves where GSP proved technique beats brute force?

agrajag said:

did you see the GSP fight? Did you not see the first Brock Mir fight? Also Brock seemed to have more than brute force this time. He had a strategy.

MrOctober

Banned
Boogie said:

Obviously my rage post was very poorly worded and failed to get my point across but here is where no one shits on Boogie for saying basically what I said (granted his post is lacking the foul language of mine and more to the point and all around more intelligent but still forgive me I was raging).

Boogie

Kabuki Waq said:
eh Mir was trashtalking a lot before the fight too only difference was Brock actually took everything seriously. while it was horrible to yell at a guy that you just beat to a pulp i think Dana was pretty happy with the show he put on.

No, the difference was the Brock SHIT ALL OVER THE BIGGEST SPONSOR THAT THE UFC HAS EVER ACQUIRED.

I cannot pretend that I know what the fallout of that will be, but I can say that there is no way in hell that Dana White is happy with the shit that spewed from Brock Lesnar's mouth after that fight, "heel" act or not. No way in hell.

:lol @ the people hating on Brock

Having everyone play nice after fights makes things so boring, every single post-match interview is more or less the same these days

Boogie said:
Yes, I did laugh at that image.

and yes, I did nearly vomit at that image.

You're just not extreme enough. Embrace the nu-age of MMA and MMA fans because this is the kind of shit we're going to be seeing for the foreseeable future (See Exhibit A below).

I see some of you citing boxing as an excuse for these antics and that's exactly the point people are trying to make; nobody wants to see MMA become boxing. It has taken many years to legitimize the sport in the eyes of the masses and it's taken even more than that to convince people that its inhabitants are more than a bunch of savage douchebags; a guy like this could undo every bit of that.

BigJonsson said:

Having everyone play nice after fights makes things so boring, every single post-match interview is more or less the same these days

thefro

agrajag said:

Lesnar won because he an incredible amateur wrestler who could take down Mir at will and control him, not just because he's huge and athletic.

Sorry, that's the future of the sport as the money goes up... the bigger and more naturally athletic guys that train everything and work hard will dominate the guys like Forrest Griffin.

dem

BigJonsson said:

No shit

Newsflash for future brock opponents
Brock takes the trash talk seriously.. and he is going to smash his hamfists into your face for saying it! :lol

BigJonsson said:

There's a difference between being entertaining and being embarrassing. No class.

Slizz

alright just got back from the fight. every one of my picks was wrong, and the thing that gets to me the most, is the sexyama decision. honestly i feel belcher won that. but other than that. gsp made a fool out of alves. super fight here we come. and lesnar is so annoying but won, cain valazquez aint got shit on him, he pretty much has that belt locked up, until fedor finally makes it to ufc.

Zeliard

The only real problem I had with Brock tonight was when he went up to Frank Mir after the fight and tried to start some shit. You just owned the guy - his face is a bloody mess while you look like you barely broke a sweat. Just leave it there. That was some poor sportsmanship.

Flicking off the fans, I couldn't care less about. They were booing him during his entrance, anyway.

agrajag said:

At one point you're going to reach a limit there. Technique pretty much always trumps brute force, unless one of the guys weighs 50 lbs more than the other guy (Royce Gracie notwithstanding). That's why they have weight classes.

Unfortunately for every UFC heavyweight, Brock is a super heavyweight and there is no super heavyweight class. He's going to be dominant for a long time.

Boogie said:
I cannot pretend that I know what the fallout of that will be, but I can say that there is no way in hell that Dana White is happy with the shit that spewed from Brock Lesnar's mouth after that fight, "heel" act or not. No way in hell.

Brock apologized on ESPN's post game show and seemed pretty sincere about it. As he said, he's gone through months of hearing Mir shit talk him and at that moment his adrenaline was flowing and he let it all out. It really happened twice tonight. Hendo let out his frustration with an extra shot and Brock let out his frustration with words.

Boogie said:
No, the difference was the Brock SHIT ALL OVER THE BIGGEST SPONSOR THAT THE UFC HAS EVER ACQUIRED.

UFC is huge right now. Dana has nothing to worry about . Bud would be stupid to pull out or anything IMO.

Dana always likes Drama. Hell look at the way he promoted Junie during TUF. That guy was a way bigger douche than brock.

Am I the only person seeing the Tito Ortiz "Gay Mezger" photo that was posted?

Brock isn't anything different, and Dana and the UFC don't give a shit. Maybe he'll not trash a sponsor in the future, but characters are characters, and it's better to have some people be a giant dick than to have everyone be a generic fight machine.

Boogie

agrajag said:

Mir had absolutely no choice in where the fight took place. If Brock wanted the fight to stay on the feet, it was going to stay on the feet. If Brock wanted the fight on the ground, it was going to the ground. There is no "WTF?" about it.

And there is ABSOLUTELY NO "brute force > technique" about it, either. Brock Lesnar is a world-class wrestler, who was able to dictate the place of the fight, in addition to the skills he has developed since training MMA (ground and pound, BJJ defense).

Plus, in spite of his win over Nogueira, I don't count Mir to be in the elite of the heavyweight division, so it's not like Brock's brute force beat a marvelously skilled fighter. Mir has always been a fighter with a few stellar strengths, and a great many weaknesses.

MrOctober said:
This.

Still no one taking on Boogie. Just saying.

Boogie is complaining more about pissing off the sponsor than anything else. Not making the sport look bad yadda yadda.

I mean really the classless way that a lot of the TUF competitors act is pretty bad as well.

Zeliard

Boogie said:
Mir had absolutely no choice in where the fight took place. If Brock wanted the fight to stay on the feet, it was going to stay on the feet. If Brock wanted the fight on the ground, it was going to the ground. There is no "WTF?" about it.

And there is ABSOLUTELY NO "brute force > technique" about it, either. Brock Lesnar is a world-class wrestler, who was able to dictate the place of the fight, in addition to the skills he has developed since training MMA (ground and pound, BJJ defense).

Plus, in spite of his win over Nogueira, I don't count Mir to be in the elite of the heavyweight division, so it's not like Brock's brute force beat a marvelously skilled fighter. Mir has always been a fighter with a few stellar strengths, and a great many weaknesses.

Mir can't handle much adversity in fights (outside of them, sure). He tends to get rattled fairly quickly when he's getting beaten down. When you combine that with his poor cardio, the guy's fights almost never go the distance.

MrOctober

Banned
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Am I the only person seeing the Tito Ortiz "Gay Mezger" photo that was posted?

Brock isn't anything different, and Dana and the UFC don't give a shit. Maybe he'll not trash a sponsor in the future, but characters are characters, and it's better to have some people be a giant dick than to have everyone be a generic fight machine.

I feel like bringing up Tito only helps the point. He was a shitbag as well and where is he now? He gave Machida a good fight and did well against Rashad before that yet I don't see him on the cards.

yodathesoda said:
There's a difference between being entertaining and being embarrassing. No class.

Everyone at the bar I was at popped hard for what Brock said after the match, was actually kind of shocked that there were way more Brock fans than Mir fans

There was only one guy cheering for Alves though, when he got on top of GSP he was the only one cheering and then shut up quickly :lol

If the UFC does have an event in Toronto @ the Rogers Centre, it will be the craziest audience ever for an MMA event in North Amereica, I really hope it happens

This simply isn't bad for the sport. For a very long time the biggest draw in PPV was Mike Tyson, and his rep and what he said was significantly worse than anything Brock said. But sponsors couldn't wait to line up to support his fights because he drew so much attention. This isn't golf or tennis, people aren't expecting gentleman when they tune into a sport where your goal is to knock the shit out of someone.

MrOctober said:
I feel like bringing up Tito only helps the point. He was a shitbag as well and where is he now? He gave Machida a good fight and did well against Rashad before that yet I don't see him on the cards.
That's because he lost a lot, not because he has an attitude.

I think a common problem with the critiques of Brock are that it's so easy to say that Brock is the UFC, but he's not. He's his own person doing his own stupid thing, and the UFC will capitalize on that. Dana will have no problem saying "this dude is a loose cannon, he doesn't represent me or the UFC, but check it out, he's fighting next month and you can pay to watch him eat his words!"

Boogie

BigJonsson said:

There is a difference between playing the WWE heel, and tearing down the work that Dana White has been doing as president of the GAWDAMNED COMPANY.

Those of you who were pro-wrestling fans FIRST before becoming MMA fans don't seem to understand this, though.

SolidSnakex said:
Brock apologized on ESPN's post game show and seemed pretty sincere about it. As he said, he's gone through months of hearing Mir shit talk him and at that moment his adrenaline was flowing and he let it all out. It really happened twice tonight. Hendo let out his frustration with an extra shot and Brock let out his frustration with words.

So noted. I haven't had the opporunity to view or read any post-event material yet.

Zeliard

Slizz said:
FEDOR IS OUR ONLY HOPE! HW DIVISION IS RUINED!!!! CAIN WILL GET FUCKING MURDERED BY LESNAR IF HES NEXT IN LINE.

Does anyone who watched Cain vs. Kongo really think that Cain stands a chance vs Lesnar? He would get brutalized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom